This is the Vertigo Tour, not the African awareness tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jammin909, I'm sure you must realize then that the millions of people dying or living in extreme poverty in Africa would give anything to live in the poverty of U.S.

And I'm not saying that nothing should be done to help those impoverished here but the scope of the problem is just not the same, in fact, it's not even close.

Hmm interesting thread.

It's U2 show, Bono can preach all he wants -- he knows the boundary, gets close sometimes, but knows when to stop.

From my perspective, as Bono and others work to inspire action, it's all a numbers game. 15 minutes on Africa for 20K people might lead to 100 increasing their awareness, and 5 actually taking action to help.

I'm quite sure many of us are aware of Africa's problems, and problems throughout the world, but, what are we doing about it?

Shame on me, not much.

If you don't want to listen to 10 minutes that attempts to inspire you, consider selling the tickets you have for other shows -- many would like to see the band, 10 minutes of Africa included.

someone made the same complaint to me when i mentioned that the drinks were too weak at the bar my band played at one night.

i guess people only want to hear the music these days........

BWU2Buffs said:
Hmm interesting thread.

It's U2 show, Bono can preach all he wants -- he knows the boundary, gets close sometimes, but knows when to stop.

From my perspective, as Bono and others work to inspire action, it's all a numbers game. 15 minutes on Africa for 20K people might lead to 100 increasing their awareness, and 5 actually taking action to help.

I'm quite sure many of us are aware of Africa's problems, and problems throughout the world, but, what are we doing about it?

Shame on me, not much.

If you don't want to listen to 10 minutes that attempts to inspire you, consider selling the tickets you have for other shows -- many would like to see the band, 10 minutes of Africa included.

I agree 110%
give me ur vertigo ticket if u cant handle the "Africa stuff"

so much indifference in the US, what a shame.

trojanchick99 said:
It's a U2 CONCERT! of course there will be preaching. One of the things that I love most about U2 is that they are a political band. They always have been a political band. Bono does great things in this world, and believes passionately in his "causes". I admire him for that.

I agree with what was said earlier, that if you buy a ticket for a U2 show, you should expect preaching. The most moving part of the Elevation show I attended was One. I cried.

Anyways, I cannot wait to hear Streets.

Absolutely agree!

I went to my first concert in SF in 1983 - War tour - and they have always been political. That's what makes them U2. Wasn't it Adam who said something like "people say that you shouldn't mix music with politics. well that's just bullshit" during Rattle/Hum?

I LOVE U2 because of their message (and expect to see it woven into their concerts). I would LIKE U2 if they had a lighter message and I wouldn't like U2 at all if they had a different message.

some people don't need to be preached to. i have no problem with that. i don't need people telling me every day about how shitty life is in africa and other parts of the third world. i'm well aware of the problem, and i've brought awareness to other people regarding the issue, donated time/money, etc. etc. etc. but every now and then i'd like to just be seflish and wallow in my own self pitty, thank you very much.

that being said... this is a u2 concert. what the fuck do you expect? it's bono... it's not justin timberlake. he's gonna be preachy. it's who he is. he knows it's who he is. for fucks sake watch the u2 simpsons episode where bono mocks himself for being preachy. it's who he is, it's who the band is... if you're expecting it go away anytime soon, then you're not really getting what u2 is and has been all about for the past 25 years.

I find it hilarious when people throw a stone saying how they dont like the "Africa stuff", and how they're at a concert to have fun.

And then when people accuse them of being selfish they immediatly back it up with how they're so giving and very aware of Africa's problems. Or how they do community work for the poor, or whatever. Basically, they're saying anything to cover their ass.

FACT IS, if you ARE such A CARING, GIVING person and are well informed of the world and/or Africa and its problems, than you would be happy as hell that a MESSAGE in which you apparently BELIEVE in is being sent to 20,000 people a night. When something you supposively believe in is being spread, you dont knock it, you support it. Regardless of what capacity it comes in.

Im riding both sides of the line here.....
I totally support Bono's passion about africa. I think its wonderful that hes not just a poseur rock star pretending to care about something to gain some crediblility
BUT
I really want to go and see a rock and roll show. I know the statistics, Ive done reports on the emergency, Ive told people. Im in "one"
A little bonoranting on africa is fine with me, thats not having it shoved in my face. I just dont care to have it thrown at me like Im ignorant or dont care. I do, but theres nothing I can do about it at a rock concert. The issue is too big to be addressed by some rock fans. The issue is too big for all our money. Its too big for the U.S. to deal with.
Unless some core things change in Africa, no matter how much money we pour into it, were not going to get very far. Just helping cosmetically. I would love to see people living good lives there
Like I said, a little ranting is great. I dont think he went over the top. But I dont want that to be the reason he's up there. I want to be fecking entertained and leave there having had a spiritual experience.
Does that make me selfish?

cardosino said:

When are you going to Africa ?

What the heck are you asking me that for?

Originally posted by cardosino
Where did I say I don't root for Bono's issues ?

I guess you didn't. However, if you did root for the lives of people from Africa, then I can’t believe you would be annoyed when Bono inspires the indifferent people to care. His inspiration changed me and others so it is a fact that it works.

u2bonogirl said:
I totally support Bono's passion about africa. I think its wonderful that hes not just a poseur rock star pretending to care about something to gain some crediblility
BUT
I really want to go and see a rock and roll show. I know the statistics, Ive done reports on the emergency, Ive told people. Im in "one"
A little bonoranting on africa is fine with me, thats not having it shoved in my face. I just dont care to have it thrown at me like Im ignorant or dont care. I do, but theres nothing I can do about it at a rock concert. The issue is too big to be addressed by some rock fans. The issue is too big for all our money. Its too big for the U.S. to deal with.
Unless some core things change in Africa, no matter how much money we pour into it, were not going to get very far. Just helping cosmetically. I would love to see people living good lives there
Like I said, a little ranting is great. I dont think he went over the top. But I dont want that to be the reason he's up there. I want to be fecking entertained and leave there having had a spiritual experience.

Apparently in some people's eyes, yes.

However don't go telling anyone that you actually might have done/be doing something to help re. Africa and all Africa related causes, then you'll just be accused of covering your ass, because that won't be good enough, it has to be in response to what BONO wants you to do, he is beyond criticism...

I'm off to San Diego now, i hope I'll be allowed to smile, have fun and enjoy it, the interference police dictate I must have Africa on my mind at all times....

:rockon:

u2bonogirl said:
BUT

I have listened to the bootleg and haven't felt that Bono ranted at all. If you know what is going on or not, I thought it was inspiring.

What the one campaign is all about is changing the core problems. For countries that hold accountablility - dropping the debt and insuring fair trade will allow these countries to stand on their own instead of needing charity. This is all about social justice. and no one will live to stand on their own if we don't help these countries prevent and treat AIDS.

Bono had assistance when he won the TED award. He asked for 3 wishes and one was to get 1 million people on board on the one campaign. TED people came up with fans text messaging their signatures that will be displayed on screen while Bono sings one. So there is something being done about it at a rock concert.

Lastly, this whole idea that concerts are fun and this stuff shouldn't be brought up during "fun" time - well it seems to me that most performers do favor a social justice issue, politics or a cause. In fact - some of the best shows ever were created to benefit a cause - such as Live Aid. I don't get this complaint.

I don't think you are selfish - I just don't think you are seeing the whole picture.

Also, these days Bono is known for his work with Africa almost just as much as he is from being in a rock band, it would be odd if he DIDN'T at least say something about Africa.

And, unlike gun control or US foreign policy the African crisis is not particuarly partison. People of almost all political stripes and all religious backgrounds believe something must be done, though they may disagree about the best way to help, so I doubt that anyone would really feel offended by the message. The real problem is apathy and we must remember that not everyone that goes to a U2 show is a rabid fan who knows the reasons why Bono works for African aid; if these people come away understanding a little more about the problem than they did before then I believe progress has been made.

In my opinion a U2 show woulden't be as deep and emotional if Bono didn't added what's on his mind about worldiwide problems like Aids. I though it was great to have all of the Africa stuff in Pride and Streets!! And I hope he keeps on with that throughout the whole tour!!!

Go Bono!:up:

If it increases awareness and people start discussing helping the helpless in Africa than more power to him. Remarkably, there are way too many people who live in their own little bubble and only follow the headlines the media deems newsworthy if that. Like Bono says with the One campaign, change with one person at a time. Awareness of an issue changes your perspective and behaviour in life so this is totally positive. If someone people are uncomfortable with that, go watch Ashlee Simpson.:wink:

PhoenixGNX said:
I find it hilarious when people throw a stone saying how they dont like the "Africa stuff", and how they're at a concert to have fun.

Personally, I think people are being too hard on the "anti-Africa sentiments at u2 concerts."

It's all about opinions, everyone. It's pretty easy to breakdown.

Some people LIKE u2's music not to be mixed with Bono's other job. They love u2's music with a passion and although they love Bono's work (some don't though), they just want to go to a concert to rock to u2's music. That's their preference, everyone is taking it too offensively.

On the other hand, if you're on the other side and like Bono's speeches on Africa and think it adds emotion to their shows, more power to you. It's great that you do.

So now my position, because even though I'm in the middle and totally cool either way, somone will still probably find a way to flame me for this post:

I could care less. I love Bono's speech during "One", I think their usually moving and emotional. However, with the new Streets, I don't really like it (see my other posts for my explanation). It has nothing to do with the "boring Africa stuff", I just like seeing a lot of red in the background :wink:

bono is a savior!!!!!!!

give me a break. 90 dollar t-shirts. 200 dollar ticket prices. Album packaged in three different manners with collector's editions. 25 dollars from every U2 iPod sold.

Bono should put his money where his mouth is. He wants to make a difference they should become a nonprofit organization and donate all concert and merchandise proceeds to Africa.

Until then I don't want diatribes in the middle of songs "informing" us, the audience, on how we are uneducated and need to do more.

ya, but the thing is applenut, I dont think you can put 90 dollar shirts against billions of dollars that has been taken off Africa debt because of the man. He's done plenty.

where do u live in the bronx, btw??

RademR said:
ya, but the thing is applenut, I dont think you can put 90 dollar shirts against billions of dollars that has been taken off Africa debt because of the man. He's done plenty.

where do u live in the bronx, btw??

all I'm saying is that he lives a pretty hypocritical lifestyle.

Throggs Neck

RademR said:

Personally, I think people are being too hard on the "anti-Africa sentiments at u2 concerts."

It's all about opinions, everyone. It's pretty easy to breakdown.

Some people LIKE u2's music not to be mixed with Bono's other job. They love u2's music with a passion and although they love Bono's work (some don't though), they just want to go to a concert to rock to u2's music. That's their preference, everyone is taking it too offensively.

On the other hand, if you're on the other side and like Bono's speeches on Africa and think it adds emotion to their shows, more power to you. It's great that you do.

So now my position, because even though I'm in the middle and totally cool either way, somone will still probably find a way to flame me for this post:

I could care less. I love Bono's speech during "One", I think their usually moving and emotional. However, with the new Streets, I don't really like it (see my other posts for my explanation). It has nothing to do with the "boring Africa stuff", I just like seeing a lot of red in the background :wink:

Ah yes, nothing better than the rising red background of Streets. I'll miss it this tour. :drool:

applenut said:
bono is a savior!!!!!!!

give me a break. 90 dollar t-shirts. 200 dollar ticket prices. Album packaged in three different manners with collector's editions. 25 dollars from every U2 iPod sold.

Bono should put his money where his mouth is. He wants to make a difference they should become a nonprofit organization and donate all concert and merchandise proceeds to Africa.

Until then I don't want diatribes in the middle of songs "informing" us, the audience, on how we are uneducated and need to do more.

90 dollar shirts? 200 dollar tickets? Different album packaging? IPod? :eyebrow:

Fact is, you dont HAVE to buy any of that crap.

Bono is well aware of his hypocracy when it comes to money. Why the hell do you think he's constantly been going at it with the world all these years. He cares, yes. But, its also to deal with his guilt in many ways. It's almost why the band broke up in 1982.

don't limit it to the the tour--bono's public LIFE is an african awareness tour at this point. how can anyone be surprised that a part of the concert would be aimed in that direction?

and applenut, how can you say bono is a hypocrite?
give me break.

he dedicates so much of his life and time to africa it is beyond ridiculous. the fact that he is rich is besides the point. he could give all his money away and it wouldn't make a dent. his voice is worth more and he is obviously using it. that is what this thread is about after all, right?

people here are seriously asking whether bono should use his own voice to voice his own opinions?

applenut said:

all I'm saying is that he lives a pretty hypocritical lifestyle.

So, he shouldn't do anything, then? It's not like he's Paris Hilton and buying $500,000 diamond dog collars for his dog. He's made a lot of money and I don't think he should have to give it all up just so he won't be a hypocrite. I don't see what he's choices are, really? He's actually using his money and celebrity for a good cause not just partying and showing up at premiers in $30,000 suits.

As for preaching at their shows, he's been doing that since day one and I'm not sure why people would expect him (Them) to stop that now?

Last edited:
PhoenixGNX said:

90 dollar shirts? 200 dollar tickets? Different album packaging? IPod? :eyebrow:

Fact is, you dont HAVE to buy any of that crap.

Bono is well aware of his hypocracy when it comes to money. Why the hell do you think he's constantly been going at it with the world all these years. He cares, yes. But, its also to deal with his guilt in many ways. It's almost why the band broke up in 1982.

(shakes head)

that "you don't have to buy it" argument gets weaker and more embarrassing by the day

cardosino said:

Sometimes people just want to pay money to let off some steam, go have some fun, be entertained and watch thei rfavourite group.

I've been a U2 fan since '81, and this is the one time I think Bono is overdoing it, the fact that it's starting to piss people off shows it's on the verge of backfiring, now what good will THAT do ?

Let's see, you're telling 20,000 people something they already know, and now you're starting to piss some of them off. Looks like a net loss to me.

I don't mean to seem disrespectful to you, but we all know that Bono's sociopolitical ramblings have been part of the U2 live show for many years, in one form or another. It's a given.

If you don't want to listen to that, why not watch a live video/ DVD or listen to the live albums?

I appreciate you wanna listen to the band's music and see them live... but to expect Bono to shut up about major global problems, after 20 odd years of him rabbiting on about them (with some great results, I might add), isn't realistic. That's not him, and therefore is not what the band stand for either.

caragriff said:
don't limit it to the the tour--bono's public LIFE is an african awareness tour at this point. how can anyone be surprised that a part of the concert would be aimed in that direction?

and applenut, how can you say bono is a hypocrite?
give me break.

he dedicates so much of his life and time to africa it is beyond ridiculous. the fact that he is rich is besides the point. he could give all his money away and it wouldn't make a dent. his voice is worth more and he is obviously using it. that is what this thread is about after all, right?

people here are seriously asking whether bono should use his own voice to voice his own opinions?

current tour estimates put total income at over $300 million. that's a pretty significant dent even after expenses.

So, he shouldn't do anything, then? It's not like he's Paris Hilton and buying $500,000 diamond dog collars for his dog. He's made a lot of money and I don't think he should have to give it all up just so he won't be a hypocrite. I don't see what he's choices are, really? He's actually using his money and celebrity for a good cause not just partying and showing up at premiers in $30,000 suits.

really? I think you would be surprised then to see how much he probably spends on his wardrobe. I'd also look into his real estate investments. Oh, and buying a video game company is really saving Africa as well.

Bono to save the world with bob,two irishmen in unison can make a difference to world poverty.Listen to me now,you don't have to go it alone

Bono should be asking for help. Yea, some of you may know of the problems but honestly there is difference betwwen knowledge of something & action. This is a problem that doesn't need to exist. It's solvable....if people started expressing more outrage about this.

if you think bono is bad at preaching, go to a rage against the machine show.....oh wait, they broke up.

nevermind.

and one more question, is it publicized how much money bono is giving to support the causes he stands up for? i always hear people saying bono doesn't put his money where his mouth is. i want proof of that. anyone? anyone?

Back
Top Bottom