This is disgusting.....Is it legal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ticketmaster is definately a system that the scalpers know how to manipulate through experience better than the average fan ever could. They deal with ticketmaster on a daily basis and know lots of tricks. Some of it still comes down to luck, but they definately have an advantage. Propaganda's simplicity is what made it work for the average fan. Maybe they will learn from this past debacle and come up with a system that gets more of the "best seats in the house" to true fans that will use the ticket next go around.

That makes me sick to my stomach.

I am going to try for Phoenix and Seattle, and what sucks is those of us live in socali may have to travel just to see U2, because those slimeballs have our tickets for our local venues.

Even if those of us without tickets wanted to pay for them, the prices they are selling them for even if you had that kind of money are so obscene when there is so much need in this world. Obviously U2 is concerned about the people in need in this world, and they would presumeably not want people paying that kind of money to scalpers when it could do good. I'd rather pay for a homeless person in NYC or CA to be in out of the cold to sleep than that.

I don't know how it is in your state, but in Illinois ticket brokers are legal. They are the same as scalpers, except they are legal. Here you can do that as long as you don't sell at the venue. I know, doesn't make sense. Here's something I'm posting everywhere:

I am contacting all my senators and representatives, and I'm asking
all of those in Illinois who hate scalpers to do this as well.

Why am I contacting my reps? Simple, I'm tired of fans being shafted
when it comes to tickets. On Saturday, January 29, at 10am (even
before this actually), I went online to get tickets for U2. Outside
of Duran Duran, U2 was the only other show I wanted to see this
spring. I made a budget so that I could finally see U2 in concert.
I had a rough time getting through, but finally it said Ticketmaster
was supposedly searching. After 15 minutes, it said nothing was
available. They even added additional shows, but these sold out
while I was online. At first I figured that since it was a hot show,
everyone tried to get tickets. I've since found out the majority of
those buying tickets were in fact scalpers, or "brokers".

How does this apply to contacting politicians? In Illinois, it's
legal to be a broker. These brokers buy hot tickets, and then sell
them as much as 50 times the worth of the ticket, or even more. I've
seen tickets from these brokers going for as much as $1,000 for a
ticket with a face value of $165. Yes, many of these brokers get
tickets from people selling tickets (such as comp tickets, etc).
However, when these companies take tickets away from fans, only to
resell them to fans at a huge markup, then this is a major problem.
Not only are fans being screwed, nothing can be done since these
companies are legal.

I am asking the state of Illinois to make brokers illegal, like they
are in most states. I realize that making them illegal won't make
them go away, but I firmly believe the problem will be less of a
problem. The fleecing of fans needs to stop, but it can't stop
unless others join the fight.

Besides contacting your reps, other ways to fight this include not
buying these tickets. As much as I want to go to the U2 show, or get
better Duran Duran tickets, I refuse to give these people any money.
I would rather sit at home than give them money so they can continue
this. If more people do this, I believe the problem will lessen.

Please join me in this fight, and say NO MORE!

it's legal to be a broker in CA, and most other states as well. Some states like NY have a limit on what you can resell a ticket for, but most don't. BUT they are not getting their tickets legitimately, we have seen the NY Attorney General's report, and the report from u2log with the Clear Channel rep, they are getting their tickets illegitimately, and that is where the fraud is involved, and where law enforcement should have stepped in years ago.

Re: Re: This is disgusting.....Is it legal?

neutral said:

Unfortunately I think it is legal in some states. :down:

$1,700.00 for a seat?!? :huh:

It's legal in Illinois to sell as much as possible. Which is why I contacted my state senator. Ironically, her assistant told me she wanted tix, and couldn't get them!

Brokers aren't going away - I learned a long time ago from someone I was involved with (who worked for Ticketmaster) that Ticketmaster and the brokers have a "deal" worked out that allows the brokers back-door access to tickets for shows - the word "kickbacks" should say it all. Unfortunately, I think this is one monster that isn't going away - Ticketmaster is a corporate God, and it was already decided - legally, in court - that they aren't a monopoly. Which is crap, of course, but it's the unhappy truth of the situation.

I had to pay $300 for a pair of Elevation tickets in 2001 because I missed out on the onsale, and I paid an INSANE amount of money for tickets to the final Smashing Pumpkins show, so believe me, I know how much it sucks.

frozenmuze04 said:
Brokers aren't going away - I learned a long time ago from someone I was involved with (who worked for Ticketmaster) that Ticketmaster and the brokers have a "deal" worked out that allows the brokers back-door access to tickets for shows - the word "kickbacks" should say it all. Unfortunately, I think this is one monster that isn't going away - Ticketmaster is a corporate God, and it was already decided - legally, in court - that they aren't a monopoly. Which is crap, of course, but it's the unhappy truth of the situation.

I had to pay $300 for a pair of Elevation tickets in 2001 because I missed out on the onsale, and I paid an INSANE amount of money for tickets to the final Smashing Pumpkins show, so believe me, I know how much it sucks.

Having worked in radio, I can tell you that this happens with stations also. I've seen general managers get good tickets, then sell them to brokers. The system needs to change.

frozenmuze04 said:
I paid an INSANE amount of money for tickets to the final Smashing Pumpkins show, so believe me, I know how much it sucks. [/B]

Was it any good?

I was at the last show they ever played in the UK and it was crap.

It's been said before, but it needs to be said again:

WAIT.

If we all are patient, eventually the brokers' prices will come down, or you may find a ticket by more pleasant means.

Worst case scenario -- you have to get a ticket the day of the show, and it costs approximately what it costs now.

We have very little to lose and a lot to gain by being patient.

I paid nearly $1000 to see U2 3 times (myself w/ friends included) and I hated dealing with such scum. Even though I spent $350 this tour for 2 tickets. It is where I wanted to sit and U2 gets all the procceds. Even though $350 is alot it sure beats $1700!!!!

Re: Re: This is disgusting.....Is it legal?

neutral said:
$1,700.00 for a seat?!? :huh:

I'd pay $1700 for a seat.... :rant: IF it included dinner with the boys, a ride in their private limo from our restaurant to the show AND VIP seating with full access to backstage and the after party. :der:

As someone who refreshed & redialed like a maniac Saturday morning for 5/26 OR 5/28 in Boston & again this morning for 5/21 in NY and was completely shut out in the cold, I can assure you guys I WILL NOT pay $500 (or $1700) for a ticket that's supposed to be sold for $50. I love U2, but this is simply a case of the lowest of our species bastardizing capitalism and I won't be a part of it. :madspit:

Last edited:
speedracer said:
It's been said before, but it needs to be said again:

WAIT.

If we all are patient, eventually the brokers' prices will come down, or you may find a ticket by more pleasant means.

Worst case scenario -- you have to get a ticket the day of the show, and it costs approximately what it costs now.

We have very little to lose and a lot to gain by being patient.

My point is, that some people will be left out. Some want the tickets right away. And unfortunately, people will spend a lot of money to get tickets.

la princess said:

My point is, that some people will be left out. Some want the tickets right away. And unfortunately, people will spend a lot of money to get tickets.

I wouldn't be so sure. If you're in the "GA or bust" crew, perhaps.

For Madonna in the UK last year tikcets were going for up to £1,000 a pair in the days following the general sale. Ebay was flooded with them. They kept trickling tickets out of the box office in the months that followed that by the time of the shows the tickets on ebay were under face value (apart from the very front row seats) - the touts put so many out they could not sell them. So be patient if you missed out, right now scalped tickets are at their highest value. Also remember that U2 often hold back tickets to sell near the date of the show, they did this on Elevation.

la princess said:
I'll take any tickets, but when there aren't any left, than that's a big problem.

Right now I see 2 upper deck tix on eBay selling for $152.50. About a 50% markup. Probably should come down as the weeks pass.

cdparky said:
For Madonna in the UK last year tikcets were going for up to £1,000 a pair in the days following the general sale. Ebay was flooded with them. They kept trickling tickets out of the box office in the months that followed that by the time of the shows the tickets on ebay were under face value (apart from the very front row seats) - the touts put so many out they could not sell them. So be patient if you missed out, right now scalped tickets are at their highest value. Also remember that U2 often hold back tickets to sell near the date of the show, they did this on Elevation.

Exactly. BE PATIENT. Same thing happened with Springsteen last year. During the general sale, we tried to get GAs but they were 'sold-out' right away, so we bought seats. Then about a week before the show, tons of GAs became available on Ticketmatser, and we ended up with 4 extras (plus the seats we didn't want anymore). We tried to sell them the day of the show but couldn't, because many other people had GAs to sell, and the box office was selling them too. Scalpers had TONS of unsold tickets, GAs and others, and were selling them super cheap by the end of the day. That is for a show that was supposedly sold-out.

I don't think this situation will happen with U2, because the demand is way higher, but I'm pretty sure there will be more GAs available eventually. So don't go and buy them from scalpers for exhuberant prices, you're going to get totally screwed.

I'm sure you guys are right :yes: The problem for someone like myself who was going to fly into NY or Boston from North Carolina is that as sick as I am that I couldn't get tix this weekend, I'd be even more crushed if I go ahead & spend the money for airfare and hotel on the HOPE that more tix will come available at more reasonable prices.

Not having the peace of mind that comes with tickets in hand is bad enough.... but having spent $800 for flight and room just to stand outside the venue hearing them & knowing I can't get in??? That'd be the WORST! :mad:

My dream of seeing U2 in Boston, Chicago, or New York this year is pretty much gone. My best hope now is that when they come back in the fall, there are several southern US shows that I can get to....providing tickets are available for them! :shrug:

Seriously BluRmGrl, don't give up so quickly. Fans will be selling their extras within a few weeks, and also closer to the show. It is a risk to book a flight without having a ticket, but it's a calculated one. There is ALWAYS a way to find a ticket. It might not be exactly the one you want, or you might have to pay a bit more than face value, but you will get in if you don't give up, post messages everywhere, look at the main U2 sites AND ticketmaster everyday. New York might be a long shot, but I certainly would not give up on Boston or Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom