This feels like U2's last tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can we ever just enjoy what the boys are doing?

There is a reason songs from Boy are being put back into setlists. And not for nothing but I remember reading before the tour about how everyone wanted Electric Co and 40....well we got it and we still want more.

Finally, people seem to forget that this tour was so close to being totally canceled due to personal family issues and whatever reasons we may not know about. The band is still giving us 110% of themselves and I for one am grateful.

We haven't had two crap records...They haven't had any problems selling tickets....the boys aren't done, not by a long shot.

You know, when I first started seeing the setlists and hearing that they were closing with 40, I had the same thoughts about this being their last tour. Seems like they are playing a song from most of their records (not all, but most). We all know Bono has voice problems and Larry has back problems so it wouldn't shock me. I think they may have ever intention of this being their last but will it be? I'm not sure. I don't see them sitting around doing nothing the rest of their life. It seems to me they'd get bored to death if they couldn't be together making music.

I don't see U2 has ever being the kind of band that would announce a farewell tour. I think its' a marketing ploy and most "farewell" tours never are, so I highly doubt they would. They seem more like the types to just go out with a bang on their own terms and not with some lame marketing stunt. BUT I could be wrong!:wink:

Last edited:
Deja vu. We get this thread every tour. I was seeing threads like this on CompuServe in 1992.

Someone commented, "they ARE in their 40s". I cannot tell you how sick I am at hearing that one again. I know the vast majority of you are in your 20s, and you think that us 40somethings are "old", but you have absolutely no idea. You really don't. I know 20somethings who are "old" in their mind, and I'm much younger than they are. I'd like to hear your opinion when you reach your 40s. The day you think you are too old, is the day you start dying. As far as I've seen, U2 has no plans to start dying.

It's all in your mind.

I'll agree with a previous poster, I wouldn't even worry about it until they book about 3 consecutive nights to close a tour in Dublin. There is no possible way they would close up their career anywhere else.

And I think one more big album ('07/'08), one more big tour ('08/'09), which will bring us to 2010, and after that they may keep recording but it is likely to be an even longer break in between albums and tours.

If the next album and tour are succesful, I wouldnbt mind seeing them bow out gracefully after giving it one more great go-around before they become a punchline like the Stones.

Can a rock artist make good music into their 50's? Sure.
But it's even harder, and if U2 were to do so, I'd hope they dropped the idea of trying to be relevant to the kids. I'd hate to see 50 year old Bono on stage at the grammies talking about trying to be the best band in the world. It's not that they couldnt be great at that age, it's that for all intents and purposes there is no way they would be relevant to the pop masses.

I'd like to see them do what Bowie has done, if anything.
Just keep pushing the boundaries, changing it up, remaining fresh to your own audience without trying to hit #1 competing with bands younger than your kids.

Last edited:
I don't think they can stop. They enjoy it too much.

No other band including the stones has made top notch music for 25 years. if they were going to stop it would have happened long ago.

they will keep touring every 5 years or so till one of them goes to rock and roll heaven

U2DMfan said:

But it's even harder, and if U2 were to do so, I'd hope they dropped the idea of trying to be relevant to the kids. I'd hate to see 50 year old Bono on stage at the grammies talking about trying to be the best band in the world. It's not that they couldnt be great at that age, it's that for all intents and purposes there is no way they would be relevant to the pop masses.

I don't see them at the grammies, either at 50ish (don't care if they are or not) but I do see an acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize.
When it has to be shown that one's efforts has made a significant change in the area of their efforts (in this case the world and Africa) I think this will be proven in 5 to 10 years for Bono/U2 because of Bono's dedication to spending the rest of his life trying to eliminate proverty and get needed medications to the suffering in Africa. :heart:
The One campaign is taking off, big time. He has alot of people on board, from now.. untill...
The potential concerts will just be a bonus.. :wink:

After last night in Denver, I think this may be their last tour. Here's why...IMO...
1.Bono's voice and the lack there of
2.They are too cool to be old geezers hashing out old tunes (although their songs from 15 -20 yrs ago don't sound like old tunes!:wink: )
3.Lardence and Adam have had enough of it.

Yes, I do think they enjoy themselves..."Live is where we live." But, like I said, they are too cool to become parodies of themselves and I'm sorry, but 50 yr old rock stars are kind of parodies of themselves. And in 5 yrs, the approx. time of the next tour, they'd be 50.

U2DMfan said:
I'll agree with a previous poster, I wouldn't even worry about it until they book about 3 consecutive nights to close a tour in Dublin. There is no possible way they would close up their career anywhere else.

And I think one more big album ('07/'08), one more big tour ('08/'09), which will bring us to 2010, and after that they may keep recording but it is likely to be an even longer break in between albums and tours.

If the next album and tour are succesful, I wouldnbt mind seeing them bow out gracefully after giving it one more great go-around before they become a punchline like the Stones.

I'd like to see them do what Bowie has done, if anything.
Just keep pushing the boundaries, changing it up, remaining fresh to your own audience without trying to hit #1 competing with bands younger than your kids.

I imagine 2 more tours and albums until 2010 (after all, they need more material for the third Best of), then the rumored box-set and they quit at 50.

As for touring, I think a lot will depend on Bono's voice. Sure he sounds very good on the last album, but it's another thing to sing night after night on tour, for months - and sing songs that were written 15 or 20 years ago, for his voice at that time.

U2 has always been competing with others, as well as their own back catalog. Being popular isn't the same as being relevant IMO.

That said, yes, after 50 I almost doubt they could still be where they were with ATYLCB/Elevation and now, plus I'm not sure they'd ever not tour an album. No tour no U2 IMO.

Last edited:
stonecircle said:
After last night in Denver, I think this may be their last tour. Here's why...IMO...
1.Bono's voice and the lack there of
2.They are too cool to be old geezers hashing out old tunes (although their songs from 15 -20 yrs ago don't sound like old tunes!:wink: )
3.Lardence and Adam have had enough of it.

Yes, I do think they enjoy themselves..."Live is where we live." But, like I said, they are too cool to become parodies of themselves and I'm sorry, but 50 yr old rock stars are kind of parodies of themselves. And in 5 yrs, the approx. time of the next tour, they'd be 50.
explain how your saying bono sounded poor last night, but nearly EVERY other reviews are saying how good he has sounded?

...em...I did say InMyOpinion....I did think his voice sounded very weak. I was hoping for a stronger voice since that's what I've been reading everywhere. But, to me, it sounded very shallow...again.

But you know what, this is nothing new. During the JT tour, they did two shows in St. Paul, MN., which I attended. The first show, Bono could not sing at all...had a sore throat, so the crowd sang for him, per his request. The second night, he croaked out a few more songs.

Not Bono bashing...btw.

stonecircle said:
...em...I did say InMyOpinion....I did think his voice sounded very weak. I was hoping for a stronger voice since that's what I've been reading everywhere. But, to me, it sounded very shallow...again.

But you know what, this is nothing new. During the JT tour, they did two shows in St. Paul, MN., which I attended. The first show, Bono could not sing at all...had a sore throat, so the crowd sang for him, per his request. The second night, he croaked out a few more songs.

Not Bono bashing...btw.
well imo he sounds the best he has in YEARS,

Back
Top Bottom