The weak link in the new DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Before I start, this is probably the first ever time I have ever critisized U2, so go easy on me. Ive been to every tour since Zoo and loved every one. The politics have never ever bothered me, it was just what they did, I just cancelled this out and focused on their brilliant music. Ive seen them 3 times this year and had the time of my life, but i'm sorry, I just dont think Bonos voice can take any more. People argue about which tour his voice is best on and the simple answer is it has just deteriorated since the Zoo tour, which is where he sang the best. Ive just watched the new DVD, and even though I liked it, there was so many moments where I was gritting my teeth thinking God he sounds bad there. When seeing them live, you dont really notice it, because of everything going on around you. I think the reason it bothers me is because in his prime, I think he had the greatest rock voice of all time, even better than Freddy Mercury, and now I hate it when he holds back so much because he just cant reach the notes anymore.
On a lighter note, I still think they are the greatest band that has walked the planet. I just dont want them to do a Stones.
Everything is still there, the energy, the great song writing, and I think musically, they are as good as they always have been. The only thing missing is Bonos voice.

Last edited:
Bono's voice was definitely not 'on' on 5/10 (it was even worse on 5/12), but that's not a representation of where it's at in general. In fact, comparing bootlegs from the first, second, and third legs, his voice has actually gotten _better_ as the tour has gone on. If you listen to some of the high quality bootlegs from the third leg, I think you'll be surprised as how good he sounds. Or, if you want proof that bootlegs don't miraculously make him sound good, check out the soundboard Radio 1 recording from London. Miss Sarajevo from Milan on the ABOY single sounds quite good too.

Obviously Miss Sarajevo is a good example, but you'll notice his voice is very strong and clear throughout the show as you listen to recent bootlegs. Not only that, but his range is at its best since the pre-Popmart days. In my mind, there's no question that his voice is in best shape it's been in since ZooTV ended.

It's unfortunate that the Chicago DVD doesn't capture that, but I think the Milan DVD will (if Miss Sarajevo on the ABOY single is any indication). Honestly, they should have waited to record the DVD on the third leg... but hindsight is 20/20.

I have to disagree. I listened to a recent Popmart boot (Chile) and thought to myself, Bono really sounded crappy that tour. Especially compared to his live voice now. When I saw him in Chicago and Houston of this year I was in total awe :)drool: of how good he sounded. Elevation he was a bit better than Popmart, but now he is as powerful as ever if you ask me. Plus he is performing 3-4 nights a week. Thats tough to do with the energy he brings.

Yeah if you listen to bootlegs like Amsterdam 3 you'll see that when he's on he's seriously on, and not only that but he's remarkably consistent this tour. Even on this DVD, i think he doesn't do the greatest SBS but New years day sounds awesome. That said, I thought that in Milan he was also having some vocal troubles but i'm not sure about that.

I'm sorry though, but him playing guitar just sounds god-awful on "Running to Stand Still" though. If you can't play the song right, don't play it at all!

<<Boston DVD released before end of elevation tour>>

I remember best Buy having a 1-2 week exclusive sale, before the public onsale in 2001.

I know this was true because some fans had bono sign the DVD before the tour ending in Florida.

u2fp

imo bono's voice is alot better than both popmart and elevation, and i have seen a few songs from the DVD, and personally thought he sounded fine on the songs i heard,

alot better than the boston DVD imo

NamelessStreets said:
Milan DVD? I didn't know about that. (not been on hear for a while) Can you give me more details?

They filmed two of the Milan shows from the 2nd leg of the Vertigo tour this past summer. There's no official date on the DVD, but if I had to guess, I'd assume it'd be out for Christmas next year. Hopefully sooner, but ya know, U2 like to milk the holidays :)

Wait, does anyone have any idea when the Zoo, PopMart, and RedRocks DVDs are to be released?

I always thought Bono's voice was the most powerful and moving during the Lovetown Tour :reject:

In my humble opinion I think any other tour pales in comparison to that time period. Bono's voice is just so incredible during that time. (not that it isn't incredible during the 90's) I think the 80's voice was his peak, when he had the falsetto as well as that gutteral force in his notes on a track like God, Pt. 2. It seems like his voice has been only a TEENY bit lessened during the 90's but he's still an amazing singer and I couldn't picture anyone elses voice to go along with U2 songs. :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
never mind just looked it up... elevation boston dvd was released 2 days after the final show of the elevation tour.

thought so... strange to have an official dvd of the tour that i'm still going to see next week...

the Elevation Boston DVD was released in the US on November 20th, 2001. i know this for a fact because i bought the dvd that day, watched it, and then went to the U2 show in Sacramento, CA the same night.

nuke126 said:

the Elevation Boston DVD was released in the US on November 20th, 2001. i know this for a fact because i bought the dvd that day, watched it, and then went to the U2 show in Sacramento, CA the same night.

You are absolutely right. nov 20th 2001.
I was at that Sac show too.

He may have had a baetter voice during Lovetown, but the song selection wasn't as good IMO. Plus his sense of style was horrifying :no:

shart1780 said:
He may have had a baetter voice during Lovetown, but the song selection wasn't as good IMO. Plus his sense of style was horrifying :no:

And this was better? :wink:

h.jpg

But yea, I can see what you mean. Edge didn't escape it either...

uy.jpg

:no: :barf:

Pirate/Hobo Edge was awesome!

and PopMart Bono was awesome too!

the worst Bono and Edge looks were durin the Unforgettable Fire years!

Edge's long hair + bald spot
Bono's Highlighted Blonde Irish Fluff Mullet

Well IMO i think Bono's voice sounds just fine on this DVD...sure there is editing flaws which i find kind of sloppy...but i have no problems with Bono's voice.
I enjoy this DVD more then the Boston Elevation...i don't know why? maybe its because my show for this tour is less then two weeks away....and when Boston came out all the shows were over.

i haven't listened to the dvd yet but i do know for a fact that bono was getting over being sick just before chicago...in fact several of us got sick after meeting him :giggle: even at one point during the show on the 9th he had to clear his throat and apologized for having a frog in his throat.

also the day before the concert a few of us were waiting outside the hotel the night before. one of the security ladies (who we believe actually worked with the band, not the hotel) said that bono was already in bed cuz he wasn't feeling well.

bono's voice sounds even stronger and better now and was amazing in dallas a couple weeks ago.

I dunno, I just saw a preview of the DVD on VH1, and on all the songs they showed (City, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Sometimes, Streets), his voice was fantastic. Particularly Beautiful Day, where he nailed the second verse at full force (rather than holding back on the high notes as he does on both Elevation DVDs). Also the "ooh yeah"s at the beginning of Streets are:drool:

To be honest, the only thing I don't like about what I just saw was all the hands in the way on City/Vertigo. It's like the DVD captures the only bad part about actually being there.

Back
Top Bottom