The Rolling Stones can kiss my ass!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone who along with Madonna (and Janet Jackson) pretty much influenced loads of single artists you see on MTV, and a guy whom all rock star frontmen owe big time talentless?

I don't think so.

Last edited:
it seems like every U2 tour, we get all these comments with people sayijg who are better than U2 etc

personally i think U2 blow the who out of the water

KUEFC09U2 said:
now come its not the first time we have agreed on stuff......not many but this isnt the first time

I know, it just happens so seldom, I tend to forget :wink:

I couldn't care less about the Stones. They've become a greatest hits band whose latest album is just an excuse to play the same hits all over again. Since by now their audience consists mostly of well doing baby boomers instead of less well of youngsters they can afford to charge $450 for a ticket.
The comparison between the Stones and U2 is a valid one, they are both super bands, rock institutes that have survived where 99% their once peers are long dead and forgotten.

Tickets have become insanely overpriced. And we only have ourselves to blame. Every nuthead buying overpriced tickets from touts is ruining it for the rest of us. Cause the ticketcompanies have a monopoly and when they see that we are willing to pay double for an act they decide to jump in and double their prices.

As for U2 neglecting Latin America and Ozz, its logical. In the US and Europe venues are relatively easy to reach. Build up , dismantle, travel to the next venue can be done within days and everything can be done easily by road.
Whereas in the southern hemisphere there are less well of markets, less venues with greater distance between them and in some countries poorer road infrastructure. Couple that with Australia and New Zealand a large stage setup and supporting show and traveling infrastructure has to be shipped or flown in (extra costs) to 2 countries with a relatively small market. Combined these 2 countries have about the population the size of Belgium and the Netherlands together but spread out over a small continent and 2 islands. And if you read Pim de la Parra's book you'll find that a lot of their massive Zoo TV and Popmart shows didn't even sell out down under. In the the US or Europe this wouldn't be such a problem but coupled with the extra transportation costs I'm amazed they even toured there in the 90's.

Slugger said:

Besides, comparing the Who's sales to U2's is grossly unfair. Record sales in the 60's and 70's (when the Who were kicking ass) were way, way lower than the 80's 90's, and 00's (when U2 sold most of their albums). There were far fewer record buyers. Back in the 60's, a blockbuster album was one that sold over 1 million copies. Now, and 1 million seller doesn't even raise eyebrows. Selling 1 million copies in 1970 is the equivalent of selling 4 or 5 million copies now.

How do you explain then, that the pure 60's band, The Beatles, has managed to sale more than a BILLION albums worldwide?

U2Man said:

I know. I actually saw that before I replied. I just thought somebody else might have wanted to answer it. Thanks for the information anyway, though :wink:

oh ok, you through me off with the: "How do you explain....."

:huh:

i don't mean to drag this old beaten horse of a thread out again, but i went to see the rolling stones at giants stadium, so i feel i have to comment now that i've seen both the bigger bang tour and the vertigo tour...

the stones friggin blow the vertigo tour out of the water.

there... i said it. the onstage boxes... the pyrotechnics... the fireworks... the giant flames... the moving stage... the gigantic inflatable tounge...

frankly... the production values of the stones stage make u2's whole little video curtain thing, which i liked, btw... look like nothing more than a bunch of dangling christmas lights.

and mick jagger... mick fucking jagger. he makes bono look like the 60 year old. he does more running around on one song than bono did for an entire concert. the man is in incredible shape... not just for someone his age... for anyone.

the stage moves... it fucking moves. about a 50 by 50 foot section of stage actually lifts it's self up from the main stage and travels a good 50-60 yards down the field to the opposite side of the stadium... with the band on it, drum kit and all, and they're still playing while it's moving.

say what you will about the stones... they're too old... they're just a greatest hits band... they're not "relevant," whatever the hell that means... like a song like sympathy for the devil could ever not be "relevant." but they put on a production that's 5 times as elaborate as u2's, and they still manage to throw in some setlist changes from night to night. and they play for 2+ hours straight, with minimum time away from the stage, and no 10 minute disertations on west african whooping coiugh.

now... i'm still going to way too many shows than i probably should this fall... and i'm still gonna rock out at every one of them, based soley on my love of the music... even if it is the same songs each ngiht. and i'll absolutely love every minute of it. but frankly, i'm still holding out hope that one day soon u2 will decide to go out on a limb again with their stage production, i.e. zootv and popmart, rather than just settle for doing baisicly the exact same production as their last tour. i'm guessing for the next one they'll have to switch it up... i mean they did a heart, they did an oval... they're running out of shapes to do the same idea. what's next, a square?

i'm done now... flame away.

Bought a stage ticket for the first Stones/Metallica gig in San Francisco and a sideline third base side for the second one. Too much money to spend for a concert.

after i win the megamillions $250 million dollar jackpot tonight, i, too, will purchase a ticket for the stones/metallica show in san fran... as well as a couple of tickets for the stones/pearl jam show in pittsburgh.

one warning... i do believe they don't load people into the onstage boxes until after the opening act is over. so if you're really looking forward to seeing the stones and metallica, you may want to look into that..

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i wasn't gonna go, but yesterday morning i looked on ticketmaster and found a seat from rows from the side of the stage for 100 bucks, so i sucked it up and made the purchase.

was worth every penny.

Lucky :grumpy: I want to go :sad:. When I checked Tampa, all they had left were the $400something seats.

I wonder how the arena Stones show is going to compare to the stadium show.

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
God, that sounds so amazing, Headache...:drool:

the moving stage was really something to behold. it's like they're purposely trying to top u2... i can just imagine that conversation now...

mick- u2 has this ramp where they go out into the middle of the arena and they're surrounded by the audience
keith- oh frighsink fsdhfid kliwuay ksdklufwil ajlkhklhjkls hahl hiihowihfigriggn ya know what i mean?
mick- that's bloody brilliant keith... have the whole damn stage move.

the moving stage was really something to behold. it's like they're purposely trying to top u2... i can just imagine that conversation now...

mick- u2 has this ramp where they go out into the middle of the arena and they're surrounded by the audience
keith- oh frighsink fsdhfid kliwuay ksdklufwil ajlkhklhjkls hahl hiihowihfigriggn ya know what i mean?
:laugh:

BWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao: :heart:

STING2 said:

But, everyone must remember that the Elevation Tour was actually not even supposed to have 3rd leg that returned to the USA. The original plan was just to play for 5 months with 50 Arena shows in North America, and 30-35 shows in Europe.

The band were much more interested in going back into the studio and recording and only added the 3rd leg of Elevation at the last second. Of course, despite the drive to go back into the studio to come out with a new album sooner rather than later, the wait between ATYCLB and HTDAAB became the longest wait between albums in U2 history.

This is incorrect. The Elevation tour was always planned to include a third leg of North America from October to November of 2001. I was told this personally by John Sampson on April 25, 2001 when I met him on the off night between the Anaheim 2 and 3 shows.

John was with Bono and Edge that night at a concert at UCLA's Royce Hall which I attended and I talked to him at length about U2's tour plans. He detailed how the tour was returning to N America for 6 weeks, to be followed by shows in Australia and Japan from late November to December and the whole tour was to end in January 2002 in South America. If you look at the tour programs from the Elevation first leg, you can even see on that cover it says Elevation Tour 2001/02.

The Los Angeles show on November 19, 2001 was to have been the final night in N America, but after all plans were cancelled to take the tour to other continents, they added the additional 2 weeks in the U.S. until the December 2nd finale in Miami.

The major reason these countries were not played was due to financial reasons, more than the desire to get back into the studio.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

It will be interesting to see if the Vertigo tour will go to the South. We cannot know yet. What is for sure, though, is that it wasn't planned at the start of the tour. Only Europe and the US were, it seems.

Running away from the Southern Hemisphere? The fact that ZOO-TV and PopMart went to the Southern Hemisphere doesn't contradict anything I have said here. I have said that they haven't visited the place since they realised that they lost money there the last time they did. So, they concentrate on the markets where they know for sure that they ARE going to make money.

Australia and Japan were intended for Vertigo from the start, as they were mentioned publicly in press releases and I believe in u2.com postings back in late 2004 and January 2005, prior to the tour being rerouted after the personal situation in The Edge's family. The dates for these shows were for Japan in November and Australia in December.

Michael Cohl is the promoter for both the Stones and U2 tours. The Stones skipped South America in 2003 due to the financial crisis that occured when Argentina's economy fell apart. They still were able to take their tour to Australia, as well as India and other Asian countries.

For this current Stones tour, Cohl has been able to make South Americans dates happen and there are rumors that they will also return to Australia and Asia. If he was able to make it work financially for the Stones to play in these places, he should be able to find a way to make the numbers work for U2 to visit these countries.

The band has been unusually vocal on tv and other media sources, as well as Bono speaking to fans and from the stage, about continuing this tour into 2006. Bono said from the stage in San Diego that they would play in Mexico next year and the band plus Paul McGuiness went on Brasilian tv to say they intend to play there next year as well.

Only time will tell if they really do extend the tour, but if they don't, they will make a lot of fans upset, as only U2 will be to blame for being so vocal.

Back
Top Bottom