The Official: North America got Fucked Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalton said:

I need someone to come and check on this rectal bleeding STAT:(

kill.gif

bathiu said:

...but still after 2 US legs there will be less people/less tickets sold compared to only one European leg... in fact European leg will have almost as much people as all 3 legs of Elevation Tour!

And because of that... because there were no problems getting tickets for any European dates... while even after 2 legs in US there's lots of fans without tickets at all... I'm glad they're doing stadiums over here... :)

Only because U2 is playing stadiums in Europe. (give me arenas any day) Not our fault the band can't sell out stadiums like that in US.

I think US gets better covered than Europe, traditionally. How many Europe cities get more than 1 or 2 shows and so varied setlists? And when will they go somewhere else than most developed countries in Europe?
(let's not even get started on what ROW gets...)

Besides the tour isn't over - and remember the US stadium 2006 rumour?

I don't get all this whining...

Last edited:
I personally would rather see U2 up close in the vertigo tour
I am going to see them in Amsterdam and Cardiff and fear that I won't get close to the front, I had more chance in the US.
Bu the spectacle will be huge

Most people on this site agrees Zoo TV and PopMart were the best tours and they weren't intimate. They were big, loud, grand, monumental. Just like the European leg will be. I can't wait to see them perform in a stadium again.

LuvandPeace1980 said:
I personally would rather see U2 up close in the vertigo tour
I am going to see them in Amsterdam and Cardiff and fear that I won't get close to the front, I had more chance in the US.
Bu the spectacle will be huge
I don't agree! With stadium shows the amount of real fans is relatively lower then with arena shows...

The largest amount of people with a general admission tickets at a stadium show only show up about 2 hours before the show!

So you WILL be very close to the band if you just leave early towards the venue! I have seen U2 on Zooropa and Popmart from the pit, and it (to me) is the same experience like seeing U2 from the heart with Elevation...

achtung y'all said:
Most people on this site agrees Zoo TV and PopMart were the best tours and they weren't intimate. They were big, loud, grand, monumental. Just like the European leg will be. I can't wait to see them perform in a stadium again.

I must have missed all the people praising Popmart.

Most people here also agree Elevation and Joshua Tree tour were among their best tours and those were arenas mostly.

bathiu said:

... because there were no problems getting tickets for any European dates...

Do you mean it was no problem for those with preale codes? There are probably a few thousand people who didn't have presale codes in Ireland and Italy who would disagree with your comment.

U2girl said:

I must have missed all the people praising Popmart.

Most people here also agree Elevation and Joshua Tree tour were among their best tours and those were arenas mostly.

Have a look through some old threads then if you missed it.

Chizip said:
i think all the original poster means is it looks like the european show is going to be much more impressive than the show on north american leg

I realize it was a tongue in cheek kind of comment, but I think that aspect of the post would have been probably served if the title was "we wuz robbed" or something like that :wink:

NA got fucked is a pretty strong statement and one that pretty much rubs it in on the face of those that arent getting any shows: blahblah:

Dalton said:

Yeah, but we got to see Jesus play the drums. that's gotta count for something....

LOL my friend and I were calling him Jesus as well. That was friggin hilarious. Jesus can really play those drums!

id rather see a huge spectacle from a little further away then be super close at a less impressive show

i dont agree with people who say a concert is just about the music. if you just want to hear the music then listen to the cd. its a show, it should be entertaining, a mixture of music and spectacle. total sensory overload, a la zoo tv.

but thats just my opinion.

The proper title of the thread should be "North Americans who care only about light shows and staging and don't mind sitting 400 feet from the band got f*cked.

Those of us who go to shows for the music got gently stroked by the band leading to a wonderful climax, and will get to experience this again in the fall.

achtung y'all said:
2 issues there:

A. ZooTV had an indoor leg which was intimate. I saw 2 indoor shows and 2 outdoor shows. Indoor was far superior.

2. "Most people" on this site aren't old enough to have seen them on any earlier tours prior to ZooTv when the show was only about the band and its music, there was no elaborate staging. Many of those of us who saw these shows are likely to tell you that this was the best live experience of U2, all about the music, in a more intimate setting, setlist not tied into video screens etc.

Chizip said:
i dont agree with people who say a concert is just about the music. if you just want to hear the music then listen to the cd.

oh

ok

i'll just stay home and listen to a cd

:|

Hewson said:

A. ZooTV had an indoor leg which was intimate. I saw 2 indoor shows and 2 outdoor shows. Indoor was far superior.

In your opinion. A lot of people I know who saw Zoo TV recall their experiences based on the huge spectacle that was the Outside Broadcast not the Inside Broadcast and the stadium shows were more memorable and impressive.

Hewson said:

"Most people" on this site aren't old enough to have seen them on any earlier tours prior to ZooTv when the show was only about the band and its music, there was no elaborate staging. Many of those of us who saw these shows are likely to tell you that this was the best live experience of U2, all about the music, in a more intimate setting, setlist not tied into video screens etc.

Do you honestly believe that U2 would be the tour de force and biggest live draw that they are today if they had kept their tours 'just about the music, in a more intimate setting, setlist not tied into video screens etc'? Why then, do people fondly remember the extravangaza of Zoo and PopMart? Why are we not seeing threads of 'U2 should go back to the early days and play at the Nags Head where the music really meant something'?

Chizip said:
id rather see a huge spectacle from a little further away then be super close at a less impressive show

i dont agree with people who say a concert is just about the music. if you just want to hear the music then listen to the cd. its a show, it should be entertaining, a mixture of music and spectacle. total sensory overload, a la zoo tv.

but thats just my opinion.

Amen!

U2 is a big enough band that the concert should be a spectacle. When they play stadiums, it feels like such an "event" as opposed to a concert in an arena which just feels like a concert. Everyone says that the shows are better when they're all about the music. Well I think U2 has always been about so much more that just the music.

achtung y'all said:

Why are we not seeing threads of 'U2 should go back to the early days and play at the Nags Head where the music really meant something'?
Let me ask you this.
Ask 1000 U2 fans would you rather go see the band play in a pub, or revisit Popmart and play a 100,000 seat stadium with the giant arch and what do you think would garner more votes?

Hewson said:
Let me ask you this.
Ask 1000 U2 fans would you rather go see the band play in a pub, or revisit Popmart and play a 100,000 seat stadium with the giant arch and what do you think would garner more votes?

Would the 100,000 seat stadium with the giant arch also have the lemon?

Hewson said:
Let me ask you this.
popmart

i know i may be in the minority, but id pick the Popmart with 100,000 people

to me a concert is made up of 33% music, 33% stage production, and 33% crowd.

some people just want the music, and i can respect that.

i want the music, but i also want the multi million dollar over the top stage production that has the power to get you plus 99,999 other people all jumping up and down in joy at the same time.

now that is an experience.

Hewson said:
Let me ask you this.

a pub isn't quite the same thing as an arena....

Besides that, much of the charm of a club or pub concert is the exclusiveness, it's just you and a few other lucky people and the band. I get that feeling again every now and then whene i'm at a great pub/club concert.

However, for me, an arena isn't a large scale club. It's a small scale stadium.

As for stadium shows , I prefer the spectacle, the total sensory overflow. I'm not into so called scaled-down "intimate concerts" in arena, they're already to big for that. Just give me a spectacle...a big spectacle....a huge spectacle

btw, During these discussions I get the feeling U2 is doing absolutely the right thing. Americans in here tend to prefer small-scalde so-called "intimate" gigs, when most europeans here prefer the larger than life gigs........quite a paradox, given the popular images of both continents...

I really don't understand how anybody can dispute that a enclosed arena that seats only 18-20k people blows away seeing them in a outdoor stadium where the sound sucks compared to indoors and the band is way too far away for any feeling of intamacy.

I've seen them in both stadiums and arena's here in the US and it's not even close as to what is the better experience.

Chizip said:
i know i may be in the minority, but id pick the Popmart with 100,000 people

to me a concert is made up of 33% music, 33% stage production, and 33% crowd.

some people just want the music, and i can respect that.

i want the music, but i also want the multi million dollar over the top stage production that has the power to get you plus 99,999 other people all jumping up and down in joy at the same time.

now that is an experience.

So what do you think the stage design was like for the indoor shows?

To me the stage for indoors is even more complex on the indoor gigs as it has the catwalk out to the crowd which encloses 400 fans going wild and everything else is the same.We get the same huge video screens showing the guys, we got the beaded backdrop which formed a giant video screen...

As for the crowd 80k people obviously is more but that spread out over a football field and more so when you enclose 20k people in a much smaller space it makes for the same crazy enviorment with the only difference being that EVERYBODY in an arena sees the entire show where in stadiums if you aren't amoung the first few rows of people you watching from video screens in alot of these venues.

@JR#9

I'd rather be at the back of the crowd during the Elevation Slane DVD gig than at any seat in Boston (and their Elevation DVD gig)

Now that's something you don't understand....that's fine....I don't understand you either (you're a woman right??? :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom