The official Manchester II got crumbed thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well looks like i missed another great show..damn work :madspit:

AIWIY...:dance:...i love this song, glad to see it has been brought back.
And ISHFWILF ..another good one :)

I see Vertigox2 continues :lmao:...this is getting crumbin funny if you think about it..:wink:

:laugh: and i think Crumbs has a new swear word is great...;)

I believe the next show is Saturday afternoon which i might be able to catch abit of it before i go out...YAY!!! :)

I'm gald AIWIY was played thats unbelievably cool, I would love to hear it when I eventually go.

On the Vertigo closing scrap. I think you both at you're core have valid ideas. But the points you were both making were completely inane.

I mean Axver was trying to pass off "40" being the best closer ever as iron clad fact. Something which obviously can't be proven (or disproven) seeing as it's subjective. Something which he actually admitted by passing off personal examples as proof. Also whilst "40" was played pretty much straight through the 80's as a closer - sheer weight of numbers doesn't make something inherently right. I mean you're probably not willing to adhere to the interference poll in EYKIW that will give the Best Album title to Achtung Baby and see UF ranked mid-range will you? Or to take a factual example (instead of opinionated) does Zoo Station automatically become the best opener out of the fact it occoured the most?

That being said StlElevation's thoughts that "40" is on the bottom rung of U2 closers - again was pretty subjective. He didn't really try to back it up with shady evidence like Ax did... but still.

That being said, a very interesting & passionate discussion. I totally agree with Ax's point that Vertigo X2 is pointless (and I think that Stl was even with us on that one - most people are) and I agree with Stl's point that "40" should not be given divinity status in the closing position, and that U2 really should question its validity to this tour, considering the dual themes are equality & a return to innocence, "40" truly fits neither.

actually i like vertigo x2. it gives this tour its own signature closer, much like zootv had love is blindness, elevation had walk on etc...

that said, i like bad as a better closer, but ive nothing against vertigo being played twice.

StlElevation said:
actually i like vertigo x2. it gives this tour its own signature closer, much like zootv had love is blindness, elevation had walk on etc...

that said, i like bad as a better closer, but ive nothing against vertigo being played twice.

Ohkay, I mightve mistaken you're nonchalant attitude towards it as being against it. Closing with Vertigo is no problem to me, they could do a lot better, but its fine. I think the major problem, which is what Axver said, that being that with their catalogue its almost offensive to play Vertigo twice. Especially if that means dropping other songs.

I'd just point out if Vertigo keeps getting played twice a night, at the end of the Vertigo tour it will be around 250 plays (thats banking on the almost definite ROW leg coming up, and if another US leg comes up then even more) which is just mental. To put that into perspective for you thats in Out Of Control, Even Better Than The Real Thing territory. Far ahead of The Unforgettable Fire which just cracked 200. I think that kind of play level, is mental.

Just got back from Manchester tonight. Loved it, can't wait to see them next week....and I really enjoyed the two plays of Vertigo. Yeah, you're right, there's so much more that could be played but when you're there in the stadium with thousands of other people who are pumped up, it's quite a great song to open and close with. It leaves you on a mega adreneline rush. I'd be even happy if they did the same thing next week to be honest. :ohmy:

Anyway, here's a couple of pics from tonight...let me know what you think. Theres plenty more where these came from :wink:

100_0519.jpg

100_0546.jpg

i havent seen any pictures of yahweh yet, what is that graphic they use for it?

TheBrazilianFly said:

Let's see them then!! :hyper:

Hehehe, ok, seeing as you asked so kindly. Heres two more, because im shattered and need to sleep. I'll upload the rest tomorrow.

100_0511.jpg

100_0543.jpg

The Graphic for Yahweh? it alternates, focuses on the shapes on the front of the vertigo tour t-shirt? and then bursts into life (as you can see on the picture). Sorry this is not too much detail, but its past 3am here and I really need to zzzzzz! :wink:

u2 should close with a man and a woman...or wild honey...or the wanderer. those are songs that would make the crowd go off :wink:

It's interesting that this is the tour that has 3 different openers and closers.

I never thought Vertigo would be the opener for Europe.
(I always thought 40 would be played on their last ever tour, plus I'm not sure it fits in an energetic set they're playing)

My pick for a closer would be Yahweh because it's a Bomb song and would make it a signature ending for this tour.

Hey, financeguy---where'd you get that avatar? I'm in DC & that question mark guy is DC celebrity---his commercials are always on & I've actually seen him on the street one time. Craaaaaazy.

Playing Vertigo twice is the worst thing they are doing on this tour.

It is not fun, funny, or exciting but rather the opposite. Instead of people leaving thinking, "wow that was a great show" they are saying "didn't they play that already?"

This is true, I experienced it.

it is actually kind of a let down at the end of a great show.

Of the 100's of songs they have, to play a song twice really makes absolutely no sens to me. I would rather see them turn the lights on and screw up any old song they have.

That is spontineity, playing Vertigo twice sucks.

Ive heard plenty of people say it was great to leave on an energetic note, as well. Its all subjective.

I personally liked 40 as the closer, with each band member leaving one at a time.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Random side note:
To whoever came up with the idea to insert "crumbs" in every song title, I now have "Love is Crumbless" stuck in my head. :wink: :drool: :yes:

It's kind of like inserting "motherf*cker" at the end of every Samuel L. Jackson quote. Like these from his Star Wars role:

"Party's over, motherfucker."

"This boy will not be trained....motherfucker."

:p

Utoo said:

It's kind of like inserting "motherf*cker" at the end of every Samuel L. Jackson quote. Like these from his Star Wars role:

Oh my God.... I do that ALL the time. Hahaha. Seriously. I just insert all his random Pulp Fiction phrases though....my favorite...from Episode III..

"Shut - the - fuck - up - Anakin!"

U2girl said:
It's interesting that this is the tour that has 3 different openers and closers.

I never thought Vertigo would be the opener for Europe.
(I always thought 40 would be played on their last ever tour, plus I'm not sure it fits in an energetic set they're playing)

My pick for a closer would be Yahweh because it's a Bomb song and would make it a signature ending for this tour.

agreed about Yahweh - think it would be a great closer
i always figured vertigo would be an opener though, although i adore LOPOE opening the set :drool:

but vertigo makes sense -
vertigo tour:vertigo
elevation:elevation
Zoo tv: zoo station

I can't remember what opened pop though - it was mission:impossible into pop muzic into Mofo wasnt it?????
but either way i'm seeing a theme here....

digsy said:
i always figured vertigo would be an opener though, although i adore LOPOE opening the set :drool:

but vertigo makes sense -
vertigo tour:vertigo
elevation:elevation
Zoo tv: zoo station

I said the same thing months ago, but was trounced upon by folks who thought that that Vertigo didn't have enough build-up/intro to it. I think it's a great opener----starts things off right with an electric vibe like nothing else!

Utoo said:

:lol:

zwervers2 said:

you are right..Will be working on it today!:wink:

During your boring meetings?

Getting crumbed of waiting for it!!! By the way you lot are really nuts...but I like yer:love:

Back
Top Bottom