"The I can't wait to see u2 in concert thread"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
March will be 20 years since my first show and I more excited now than I was back then. Maybe it was the chick who dumped me that was supposed to go with me to the Unforgettable Fire show?

My first U2 concert was 20 yrs ago in March also (UI - Chicago).
Best concert ever!!!!!!
Can't wait for May!!!!!
:drool: :dancing: :rockon: :dance: :heart: :happy:

This will be my first concert in eighteen years, and my first U2 show. Knowing that it will top the amazing experience of popping my concert cherry in 1977 with the Who (on the floor and up close? You'd better believe it) only makes me look forward to it more. I can't be GA due to medical problems, but I'll be there, embarrassing my husband and having the time of my life.

DUDE! NEW SMILIES! :rockon: :dance: :giggle:

Sorry, I had to do it. Seriously though, I am totally psyched...i just wish I could get GA tickets. I want to be on the floor where all the action is, I want to reach out and touch Bono's hand, even if it's just for a second...ah well, maybe third leg. No matter where you are it's a great experience, and at least I'll have a pretty good view of the stage design and all that (wonder how cool that will be?). But yeah, a lot has been going on in my life so I've hardly even been thinking about it... when I do think about it, I realize just how awesome it will be. I've only seen them once before, on May 10th, 2001... I want to see them AT LEAST twice this tour.

this is going to be my first U2 show ever!!

and to top it all off, I'll be seeing them on back to back nights, with GA on the first night..

you'd better believe I'm BEYOND stoked :D

I have to say that cmb nailed it. You may have the songs memorized forwards and backwards, have every single picture of the boys and every single bootleg of the boys, but when you're standing there and you see them walk on stage right in front of you, it's a completely new experience and something I won't forget. I remember several times through the course of my first concert (Elevation Tour) turning around and just trying to take it all in - the beautiful lighting, the music, and watching this sea of 20,000 people just as awestruck and into it as I was.

I can't wait.

This may sound stupid - but with all the shit that's going on in my family, I need to focus on something to get me through... and this is it. I'm not totally obseesed with U2, but they are helping me get by at the moment.

The U2 concert experience is like nothing else you will ever see in music. If you have seats use them during the opening band because after Kings Of Leon leave the stage you wont be sitting down again. This will be my 3rd tour and if I could afford to go to every show I would go to every show....U2 in the studio is great U2 live is God like....absolutly mindblowing especially for the first time concert goers....but U2 always have someting in store for the concert vets too!

I can't wait, Glasgow and Manchester, but I'll be a lot happier when I get my tickets through the door. That's when it really kick in.

As someone else said earlier. It's the effect Bono has on me when he walks on stage. He has a huge presence, more so than any other rock star I have ever seen, and I've seen some of the biggest and greatest from Antony Kedis to Mick Jagger to David Bowie, and I've never seen anyone feel the areana with shear pressence like Bono.

That's the thing I'm actually looking forward to the most out of the shows. Being in the presence of greatness and grace.

Zoo TV and Pop were just mind-boggling experiences, while Elevation was surpisingly intimate and warm (even at Slane with a 100,000 fans). Can't wait to see what they have in store for us now!:drool:

can't wait to see them again at croker...

it'll be hard to top slane but if theres a band to do it, its U2, first timers enjoy...it only happens once and its the greatest ever!!:wink:

Yeah! It's gonna be amazing seeing them live for the first time. I'm really looking forward to it.

Yahweh said:
lol this :rockon: makes me tear up laughing every time i see it.

yeah me too . I like the :dancing: also and the :dance:

especially all together like this... :rockon: :dancing: :dance: It kinda shows exactly how you feel after you scored the tix you want LOL

WildHoney said:

How can you mention those creeps . They're not fit to do up U2's shoelaces!!!

No, not at all, but some girl faint and scream and cry and die and on and on and on to those concerts. I belong to the male sex, yet I'm gonna act way beyond what those girls can imagine.

I mean, when the second song begins, I'll start to cry, and it won't stop before the show's over. I'll go nuts. Seriously, I can't put down in words how this will be. I've never seen them live before either.

I've only been to one show before, but it was an amazing experience. I'd never been to a show before where 20,000 people sang along to every single song :rockon:

I have tickets for 3 shows this time, I can't wait :hyper: I don't know how I'm supposed to get through the next few months at work :reject:

Everybody, esp all those going to your first ever shows:

All I can say is, you are truly in for one of the great experiences of your life. That's the way it always is at a U2 show. Going to your first U2 show is like reading "Lord of the Rings" for the first time...

And if any of you folks are lucky enough to get to see one of the better shows, when band and audience are truly one and things really click and just go HIGHER, then it will be one of THE great experiences of your life, PERIOD. ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST.

Right up there with your wedding or your first great sexual expereince....or a religious experience!:)

You will walk out of that place crying. With actual tears streaming down your face. If you don't cry easily, you'll at least be on a high that no drug can give, that will be damned well impossible to come down from for at least 3 days. I am dead serious. Astonished journalists used to write about this in the 80's. During the 90's it was gone for a while, but on Elevation, it was BACK, in a big way......this "moving" aspect of the shows. It's the kind of high that makes you want to start clubs, or websites for good causes, or get together with others. Many people have walked out of U2 shows, inspired, and started things.

Make sure to leave the next day or two after the show open, don't go back to school, take the following day off work, or whatever. Whatever you do, savor this magical experience, becuase it darned well won't come from anything else, outside a great relationship....don't let the "real world" intrude (unless you've got kids, then you have to come back quick.....but if you've got kids, teach them the songs, re-enact the show, take their hands and dance, sing, share the love with them. )

Because just for those 3 days, you'll be seeing REALITY, and everything else is just fiction.

Because you'll walk out of there thinking ANYTHING is possible. Heck, you may even think that the world just MIGHT be a better place, if you could take all this love and share it with people.

I am NOT BS'ing. I am NOT gabbing like a *#$(^% hippie. There is a reason many of we older fans used to call our first U2 show "getting baptized." It really is like a baptism of fire, a religious experience, even on a poor night (and I've seen them 7 times...good and bad, so I know. I've also HAD an actual religious experience, so I can compare! )

There's a reason why we older fans want to come back again and again. And it's this:

The U2 concert IS the U2 experience. If you haven't seen them live, you don't know the real U2. At least, you won't fully understand U2. I say this is truer for tham than any other act, even Bruce (whom I've seen twice, and he is almost as good if not quite.)

It's at the shows that the extrordianary feeling around the band has grown over the years, the feeling of "family." It's at the shows the band's legacy first grew, where people met and the band found its voice long before the charts discovered them anywhere in the world.

The thing you need to remember about U2 shows is this, and I don't think it's true of anyone else, even Bruce:
It's not the band that makes these shows great.

It's the AUDIENCE. The band feeds off the audience, not the other way around. And if it's really going, if the crowd is fired up enough, you will actually be able to FEEL the band feeding off the crowd vibe, ratcheting up the intensity of their playing, and Bono getting more excited, and you in turn feed off that. It's an actual hyper-electric wave you can feel coming from the stage, washing over you in the blink of an eye, that you can somehow feel and sense it traveling back through the whole length of the place in the same few seconds, making the place both smaller and larger at the same time...the whole place on fire, singing and clapping as one...and then, Bono signals the band to lower the volume, and then.....the REAL magic begins.

I can't attempt to describe this, or spoil it for you. But when it happens, when things are really going..the stories I can tell...people around you bursting into tears (like with "One" at ZooTV...)..people spotaneously hugging each other etc. Or of the mood is loud and angry..that makes for a great show too!

AllI can say is: These are going to be some of the best hsows in the band's hsitory..simply b/c HTDAAB was WRITTEN For the stage. You'll see what I mean. That's why so many so us are so excited. (and correspondingly upset if we didn't get tix..thank God I did.)

Those with GA's: all I can say is, after the show, you will know what the big deal is, why people fought so hard for them and were so upset if they didn't get them. YOU WILL KNOW.

So share the excitement, and the love!

:wink: :wink:

Last edited:
teta040, I couldn't agree more. I think I only became a real U2 fan after I saw them on the Elevation tour. I had listened to U2 for years before that, but given that not many of my friends were really into them growing up, I didn't really get exposed full on until the late 90's when I was in high school. Then in college it hit me full on... I had never really listened to Achtung Baby all the way through really carefully... then I heard Ultraviolet, which quickly became one of my favorite songs. Then I rediscovered the Joshua Tree, which I had for years but never really listened to it. When they announced the Elevation tour, I just knew I had to go and experience them live. What a show... teta040 put it best, you just feel the audience carry the band (I have seen Bruce too, and yeah, he's pretty close, but usually in his case it's the band carrying the audience). Bono was not in top form the night I saw them, but he definitely showed an abundance of energy and his voice got better as the concert went on. All I have to say is, wait until they play 'Streets' I think I cried during it, because you felt like you were somewhere besides a rock concert, a really special place. I think that Edge put it this way "you feel God in the room" or when Bono put it at the end of the Boston DVD "The spirit is in the house!", not many performers can claim that. So I truly hope you enjoy your first concert, I know I can't claim half of the experiences some other people have had, but I will never forget my first U2 show. There is something really special about being in a crowd of 20,000 or so people, more if it's a stadium show, who all know every word to every song and make the band play better.:D

Norsehorse, thanks. I'm glad someone else knows what I'm saying. And about Streets...you know that song will NEVER go from the setlist. It was the opening song on the JT tour, and they played it as it was on the album...with the LONG intro, that they've shortened for all other tours. Bono was inspired to write "City of Blinding Lights" after his experience looking out at the GA people in the front rows at the post-9/11 show at Madison Square Garden, Oct 22, 2001...I was at that show, I was in the GA, 2 feet from the stage on Edge's side in fact, and I can clearly see how Bono was inspired to write a song about it. He said in an interview that he looked out at the faces of people during the "streets" intro and saw the whole range of human emotions.....people laughing, people crying, people talking and cheering and just going with the band. It will be interesting to hear this song played in the place it was written...though sadly, I won't be in GA at MSG this time...at least I'll be there though, and considering the only show at MSG sold out in 6 mins, I'm lucky!

That's why some people have expressed worries about the shows too, in the US, that because so few of the "real" fans got GA tix this time around for some shows (as opposed to the fat cats who typically buy these things just to say how cool they are and go out during the slow songs to buy a beer etc --you know the types) there won't be the same enrgy level from the crowd, and thus a poor show by u2 standards. Bono will be able to tell in 30 seconds who these people are, he knows the types, and he knows what the genuine fans look like and act like. The GA is so wild (the closest thing to as mosh pit without the violence, a sort of cross between a rally and mosh pit.....except totally focused on the band) that it serves as a kind a cheerleading squad for the rest of the arena. It;s the GA that often REALLY gets the crowd going.

Anyway, on the bright side, it might also make Bono so ticked off that he will try twice as hard to "engage" the "dead people", like he usually does, that it might make for a great show, seeing these languid elitist stiockbroker types having to WORK and SWEAT for their GA steal!

Great stories though...one a friend of mine told me, about the Washington Show on Popmart...where Bono got a little, too, how can I say, um, a little TOO excited...it was during the chanting part in the middle of "Pride" no less!:ohmy: and ..well..how can I say this... according to her, he put his hand over his crotch and ran off the stage!

Talk about being "on fire" from the crowd.....oh, I'm a naughty gal, I shouldn't have said that...

Last edited:
*raises hand*

Can't wait myself......Will no longer be a "U2 Live" Virgin :wink:

I keep thinking of worst case senarios....like I fly all the way over to pick up my tickets on Will Call, and they've been cancelled or something :)....lets hope that doenst happen.

I'll be e-mailing ticketmaster before i leave :)

I love Bono!

I agree with everything teta040 said, U2s live shows are a celebration of joy and love! And I am so looking forward to seeing them for again in Copenhagen on the 31st July. It will be excatly 12 years to the day since I first saw them in Stockholm, an aniversy of sorts.:heart: Although I had hoped I'd get to see them here in Finland coz the show they did in Helsinki back in 1997 was something extrodinary and I get all emotional just thinking about it and tears of joy poor down my face as they are doing right now!! So to those of you who will be seeing U2 for the first time, don't be surprised if you're a little out of it for the next several weeks after, I know I always am!:combust: But it's a good feeling even though your family and friends might think you've lost the plot!:scratch:

Last edited:
I'm trying really hard to study for my german exam here, but... :lol:
I still can't quite believe I got a GA ticket after all the shit with the ticnet website.
But I won't fully rest until I hold the ticket in my hand... ;)

Roll on July! :D

Teta040 said:

And if any of you folks are lucky enough to get to see one of the better shows, when band and audience are truly one and things really click and just go HIGHER, then it will be one of THE great experiences of your life, PERIOD. ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST.

(...)

Because you'll walk out of there thinking ANYTHING is possible. Heck, you may even think that the world just MIGHT be a better place, if you could take all this love and share it with people.

(...)

I can't attempt to describe this, or spoil it for you. But when it happens, when things are really going..the stories I can tell...people around you bursting into tears (like with "One" at ZooTV...)..people spotaneously hugging each other etc. Or of the mood is loud and angry..that makes for a great show too!
(...)

Those with GA's: all I can say is, after the show, you will know what the big deal is, why people fought so hard for them and were so upset if they didn't get them. YOU WILL KNOW.

So share the excitement, and the love!

:wink: :wink:

AMEN!

I understand exactly what you mean, exactly. All the things you've described I have felt this exact way during and after U2 shows. You are so righ about the crowd, especially on the floor. That is why once you've had GA it's hard to go back, because the most incredible thing, maybe even more than being close to the band, is that everyone around you is in a TOTAL trance, just like you are. I think it's true for the whole place, but it's not quite the same if you're in a section where people don't care as much.

I have cried at every U2 show I've been too, and a LOT. I have come out of there really thinking the world could be a better place, in ways that I can't quite explain.

And it's not just for the 'real fans' like us. I think a lot of people go to a U2 show more casually, and come out addicted. I have met tons of people like that.

At one of the Elevation shows, I was with some friends in the GA line, and one guy was selling an extra. We called up another friend and convinced him to come and join us. He hesitated for a long time, we had to call back three times, because he was lazy and had stuff to do. He thought U2 probably were not as good live as in the old days ( he had seen them in 1983). Finally we convinced him and he came. After the show, he told me he had never felt so much love and positive energy in one place ever in his life, for weeks he kept telling me how he couldn't get over that feeling. He still thanks me four years later for almost 'forcing' him into a U2 show!

I can't wait, I'm so excited. I have this feeling that nothing in my life can really be so bad that I could be in a bad mood. Knowing that I will see U2 live again is all I need to carry me on right now...

And I can't wait to share the love with all of you! :yes:

You are all right on point.....I'm actually going with a relative who has never seen them live (he's seen The Rolling Stones a zillion times though) and I can't wait to see his face and reaction. I've gone to 7 U2 shows and I never take them for granted. I am blessed that I am alive during U2's career and that I am fortunate enough to be able to go.....there are countless sick people who can't go, people in places like Africa who can't go and willl never experience a natural high such as this.

It doesn't hurt to have a few beers during the show either.:wink:

I am so excited I might die of antici...pation! before April 1.

I have seen U2 twice, on Zoo TV and POPmart. They were incredible experiences for me. I missed Elevation (for monetary reasons) and I am still to this day kicking myself that I didn't just beg or borrow the money from somewhere to go. That's why I sprang for paying the ticket broker for GA. Partly super-regret from missing that last tour, and partly because I know this tour is going to be incredible. Like someone said above, these songs were *made* for the stage. "I'm getting ready to leave the ground..." that is gonna kill live.

My best friend is coming out from Canada to go with me, and she has never seen U2. I am so excited for her to finally experience the brilliance that is a U2 show, and I am beside myself with the thought of being so close to Bono. I have a feeling it will be a religious experience for us both.

I have been a fan since '87. Joshua Tree tour is where I went to my first U2 concert. It was 11/18/87 at LA Coliseum. A day that I will never forget. Since that day I have been a major fanatic. I seen them ever tour since. The elevation tour completely changed me with the GA concept. You truely can't go back to being in any kind of seat after that. The oneness you feel down there on the floor with thousand of others. The intimacy between you and the band. It truely feels like you are in some small club and not a big arena. And oh yes, you walk out of that concert having just been through a experience that is not of this world emotionally and physically. I certainly feel this every time I have seen them. And this tour is going to be something else! It is going to top the elevation tour if that is possible which I think it is.
All I can say is beg, borrow or steal to see them as much as you can because this is something that just can't be missed!

As was mentioned it is truely a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE!!

:dancing:

Driving in the car the other day listening to Miracle Drug, I imagined the scene
- Bono walking up to the B-stage, edge guitar solo & verse, Bono comes in with the next verse looking back at Edge from the other end of the arena/stadium -
My wife asked me if I was OK because my eyes had welled up

So, if this is your 1st U2 show, be prepared, it'll be the most uplifting/emotional 2 hours you're ever had

Back
Top Bottom