The greatest amount of Diffrent Pro-Shot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Is it possible that by the end of this tour we will have the greatest amount of Diffrent pro-shot footage every accumulated on a U2 tour. i don't mean in diffrent venues, but where there are actual diffrences in the content.

City Of Blinding Lights [In + Out]
Vertigo [ Indoors, Screen + No Screen]
Elevation [ Indoors, Screen + No screen]
Until The End Of The World [Outdoors]
New Year's Day [ Indoors, With + Without Screen]
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For [With + Without Screen]
Beautiful Day [Indoors, With Screen, Without Screen]
The First Time [Outdoors]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own [Indoors, + With Screen]
Love And Peace Or Else [In + out]
Sunday Bloody Sunday [In + out]
Bullet The Blue Sky [In + out]
Miss Sarajevo [Outdoors]
Pride (In The Name Of Love) [Indoors + Outdoors]
Where The Streets Have No Name [Indoors + Outdoors]
One [Indoors + Outdoors]

Encore(s):
Zoo Station Indoors + Outdoors]
The Fly [Indoors + Outdoors]
Mysterious Ways [Indoors + Outdoors]
With Or Without You [Outdoors]
Fast Cars [Outdoors]
Yahweh [In, + 2 diffrent animations]
All I Want Is You [With + Without Screen]
Love Is Blindness

OOTS [Indoors, Outdoors (Once With Strings)]
Stuck in a moment [Outside]
Norwiegan Wood [Outdoors]
ABOY [Indoors, Outdoors]
I Will Follow [Outdoors, No Screen]
Miracle Drug [Indoors + Outdoors]
Running to Stand Still [Indoors]
Electric Co. [Indoors + No Screen]
40 [Indoors + Outdoors]
An Cat Dubh // Into the Heart [Indoors
This gives a total of

34 DIFFRENT SONGS (35 if an cat into the heart is 2 songs)
Played in 62 different arrangments.

Is this a new record?

Is this only counting video potentially available to the public?

Croke? Vancouver? OOTS 3rd version? Vertigo w/o SFB? Unchained Melody @ Live 8? BAD? LAPOE opener? Wanderer? Fast Cars Toronto? UTEOTW @ RRHOF? COBL radio edit/music video? etc....

u2fp

There is pro shot footage of nearly every single show (not full production DVD footage, the feeds going to the video screens footage) and has been since the 3rd leg of the Joshua Tree tour. But along with all the board recordings of nearly every show since 1982 99.9% will most likely stay locked in the U2 vaults never to be seen or heard. They refer to it as the archives. What they archiving for when they never use it though is beyond me. :shrug: I guess its a "just in case" we need footage or audio from "x" show thing, they have it available.

Blue Room said:
There is pro shot footage of nearly every single show (not full production DVD footage, the feeds going to the video screens footage) and has been since the 3rd leg of the Joshua Tree tour. But along with all the board recordings of nearly every show since 1982 99.9% will most likely stay locked in the U2 vaults never to be seen or heard. They refer to it as the archives. What they archiving for when they never use it though is beyond me. :shrug: I guess its a "just in case" we need footage or audio from "x" show thing, they have it available.

As long as theres no fire which ruins everything, I think we'll eventually see them online on u2.com in the future (like 10-20 years from now).

bcrt2000 said:

As long as theres no fire which ruins everything, I think we'll eventually see them online on u2.com in the future (like 10-20 years from now).

I hope your right, but I doubt it. I dont think they would feel most of it was good enough for any type of official release. Even if it was just the website. Obviously most of us here would disagree. When they do a box set someday, some of it may end up on that. But nowhere near everything.

i'd like to think they'll end up just deciding 'Sod it' and make a lot of the archive material readily available online as suggested above somewhere a long way down the line...or maybe do the same thing as one or two bands who offer complete tours on CD...

I remember my Dad buying a CD of a Peter Gabriel concert he went to from the Peter Gabriel website and getting all excited since it was straight from the soundboard and anyone who wanted to hear whatever show they went to again could simply buy it on double cd off the official website with proper sleeve, art and everything! U2 should try something like that in the future! :drool:

gareth brown said:
I remember my Dad buying a CD of a Peter Gabriel concert he went to from the Peter Gabriel website and getting all excited since it was straight from the soundboard and anyone who wanted to hear whatever show they went to again could simply buy it on double cd off the official website with proper sleeve, art and everything! U2 should try something like that in the future! :drool:

Gabriel did Instant Live during and/or right after the tour. Something U2 paid lip service to on this tour but never followed through on it. Typically older shows or tours aren't released on Instant Live. (not saying it cant happen, its just unusual)

I would love for this stuff to happen, I just think its unlikely even though the material exists.

Folks, the stuff that goes from the camera to the video screens during the show is not archived anywhere, it's gone as soon as it's played. sorry to burst your bubble.

tommycharles said:
Folks, the stuff that goes from the camera to the video screens during the show is not archived anywhere, it's gone as soon as it's played. sorry to burst your bubble.

Most of it is actually. From what Willie has said about it anyway.

EDIT: to add that this is what he said during Popmart. Maybe they stopped after that but I doubt it. :shrug: I'm no expert on the video stuff though. The audio board tapes though have been archived since 1982. Nearly every single show U2 have played. Joe burns them straight to a disc now, has been since Elevation.

Last edited:
They have dipped into their video archive. The 1992 Lanois clip, Benny/Bjorn, Early Elevation shows and Vancouver 2005 Paul Martin speech on Canadian TV. The crew also may use recent concerts to "test" the screens in the hours before showtime.

I also don't believe they don't record the video, and likely full copies of each camera angle. It's too simple just to keep all copies than the work they already do.

Why would they go to the effort of recording the show, with audience mics, and not record the video?

u2fp

Blue Room said:
:drool:

It would be great if in some 20 years they released a special box with some dvds and cds of some of the best shows from every tour they have recorded. I mean they won't release Sao Paulo from this tour on DVD but it would be worth it since it was such a great show, so why not do it in a slightly distant future among with many other career highlights shows like Dublin on new year's from Lovetown, Milan from Zoo Tv, Srajevo from Popmart, Croke Park from this tour among many, many others... That would be amazing!

I'm pretty sure they keep copies of what goes on the video screens. That version of Please on the Best of 1990-2000 Bonus disk, I'm pretty sure was just ripped off of archived footage (and they weren't planning on actually recording it for release).

i wonder where these recordings are kept?
Do you think they are in a fire proof vault?
What format do you think they'll be in DVD, SVHS?

Ok just to clarify i meant 'the amount of diffrent proshot that is highly likely to end up in the public domain'

By this statement, i mean:
Chicago DVD
Milan DVD (if it is a full concert)
Brasil TV Broadcast
Argentina TV Broadcast (if complete)

You remember before this tour began , there was talk that the audio of each concert would be available for download on the web. -

for some reason that didn't happen, i presume for either technical or more likely legal / copyright issues.

I also suspect there's an element in the bands mind (particularly edge) not wanting below par performances officially released.

Ellay said:
You remember before this tour began , there was talk that the audio of each concert would be available for download on the web. -

for some reason that didn't happen, i presume for either technical or more likely legal / copyright issues.

I also suspect there's an element in the bands mind (particularly edge) not wanting below par performances officially released.

This is what I was eluding to in my prior post when I mentioned Gabriel doing Instant Live and how U2 paid lip service to the idea only.

I agree with your last sentence. I think that is the primary reason it was not done and probably never will be. The same reasoning is why 99% of the archived material will probably never be released as well. Which is a shame really.

surely they must have sat through the Chicago dvd though and thought that it was below-par (magic didn't happen). They must also see crowd members with arms folded and think "urghhhh", but by then they've already commited and it's too late...

Well I take it back then... you all seem to have superior knowledge to me on the subject :) Perhaps U2 is a special case, but *most* artists who have screens at concerts don't keep the footage from the cameras. Hence why at most concerts on his 2002 tour Paul McCartney had over 20 cameras there every night...a few for providing screen footage, the rest for recording it for archive. Kind of a waste of cameras, actually.

Keep in mind that this is a band that have kept/archived/sent to RRHOF several of the painted trabants from ZOOTV.

There's always conflicting info on whether people keep their jumbotron footage. Who would want footage of all 50 dates of a Bryan Adams tour?

Curiously, the video clip of a pre-fame Avril Lavigne singing with Shania Twain has never turned up.

I should also point out that U2 footage may also be kept for legal reason, especially since Bono is so active in crowd participation. U2 have been sent several lawsuits from audience members(none from Boston 2001)

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
I should also point out that U2 footage may also be kept for legal reason, especially since Bono is so active in crowd participation. U2 have been sent several lawsuits from audience members(none from Boston 2001)

u2fp

Care to elaborate? Are these people claiming they were injured or something, or am I missing the point?

I hate to go all capitalist, but imagine if the video for every show was available on demand (or delivered on media). technology/bandwidth/administration costs might be prohibitive, but think of all the diehards who would collect numerous shows. if you market correctly, think of all of the people who would buy the show(s) they were at. All those people who are dropping $50 on a t-shirt - imagine the popularity of getting a full length video of YOUR personal show for say $29.99 - way more value for a cost less than a t-shirt.

tommycharles said:

Care to elaborate? Are these people claiming they were injured or something, or am I missing the point?

-Spray painting in 1987
-sculpture artist "victim" reciprocating on JT stage
-ear damage claim in 1997
-balcony fall fatality in 1997(?)
-insurance for GA floor in 2001 USA
-"stalkers"
-crowd control measures for other group concert ventures
-if any plagerism case came up they could whip out a video from a past tour show to show how Edge played something(he has admitted that he totally forgets and has to "re-learn" old songs)
-The "archive" has incredible value if U2 needs to sign a new record contract or any other new media deal.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Curiously, the video clip of a pre-fame Avril Lavigne singing with Shania Twain has never turned up.

Sure it has (I'm a little embarrased to know this, btw). An episode of VH1 Driven (or some other VH1 show) has it. Mind you, it's definitely not a pro-shot (probably what you were talking about now that I think of it.).

Ok so how many pro-shots are there so far, and how many more do you think there will be? So far I only know of Chicago, Sao Paulo (2/20) and Milano.

chrissybaby said:
surely they must have sat through the Chicago dvd though and thought that it was below-par (magic didn't happen). They must also see crowd members with arms folded and think "urghhhh", but by then they've already commited and it's too late...

Yes, but they had extra cameras, crew and production overall for Chicago 2 and 3. They paid extra money and went through extra effort to film. That is why that footage was used. Same with Boston from 2001, Boston 1 and 2 were probably the weakest of the 4 they played. But they had the extra production there for those two nights. Its why Milan will most likely be released in some form also. Same scenario, extra crew and production, extra money they wont waste by not using it. Milan looks like it was a good show though. Chicago wasnt bad either, I think the edit job wasnt fantastic and I wish they would just use one show and not splice two together.

tommycharles said:
Well I take it back then... you all seem to have superior knowledge to me on the subject :) Perhaps U2 is a special case, but *most* artists who have screens at concerts don't keep the footage from the cameras. Hence why at most concerts on his 2002 tour Paul McCartney had over 20 cameras there every night...a few for providing screen footage, the rest for recording it for archive. Kind of a waste of cameras, actually.

Well, like I said I'm no expert on the video stuff. Willie did say to some fans though during Popmart that they were archiving the video each night like they did for Zoo. :shrug: I assumed this continued for Elevation and Vertigo. I have no confirmation of that though. So they may not have, but I dont know why they would suddenly stop. I always forget about Lovetown though between JT tour and Zoo (Lovetown is one of my favorite tours though, so I dont know why I forget about it.) . Not all of those shows were filmed. Supposedly the Adelaide shows were filmed, the last three Sydney shows and the last 2 Dublin shows were all that were filmed from that tour (could be more, but thats all I have heard of). JT leg 3 was shot in almost its entirety simply because they were filming for Rattle And Hum. Not to mention any stadium shows with screens were captured by the Sony film crew (IE the LA and Syracuse 87 pro shot bootlegs).

I just want to point out that some stadium footage is remarkably shaky for the tripod cameras in the stands. When the crowd move the stands, there's nothing that can be done.

This can be seen in the Rotterdam Popmart TV special and the Vertigo Screens during the South American "Pride" TV footage on youtube.com.

I doubt it's really possible to ever do future releases of every show(even if it made business sense) because the audience/ambient footage was never captured.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom