The FLY has been performed on 3 different guitars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tommycharles said:

I think it's just a guitar track from the Achtung album, but yeah, during the chorus, Edge isn't playing and Bono isn't plugged in ;-)

infact bono IS plugged in, i mean watch the basel 93 dvd.... you can hear that bono screw's up during the edges solo......

its offensive to even suggest such a thing!

quadcaster said:

infact bono IS plugged in, i mean watch the basel 93 dvd.... you can hear that bono screw's up during the edges solo......

its offensive to even suggest such a thing!

Is Basel 93 where the Proshot Macphisto Desire comes from? I've always wondered where that clip was...

And I was kidding about Bono being plugged in, but he was never really high in the mix on The Fly until this tour.

T

tommycharles said:

Is Basel 93 where the Proshot Macphisto Desire comes from? I've always wondered where that clip was...

And I was kidding about Bono being plugged in, but he was never really high in the mix on The Fly until this tour.

T

oh ok fair enough :)

it actually wansnt that low in the mix during zoo tv, it just sort of blended in with the edges guitar because the guitar was set on a really muddy sound setting

U2FanPeter said:
What guitar was Edge playing when he snippeted FLY in 1997?

u2fp

Is there a recording of this?

I've always wondered how The Fly would sound if it was performed during Popmart...i just can't help but think it could have possibly been the best performances of it.

well 5 guitars if you count bono's

edge:

fender strat (zoo tv)
gibson les paul (elevation)
line 6 variax (vertigo)

bono:

gibson es-137 (zoo tv)
gretsch irish falcon (vertigo)

U2FanPeter said:
I thought FLY was probably the highlight of the Boston DVD.

Seeing a couple shows within the first couple weeks of Elevation it was great to see fans scratching their heads trying to figure out which song it is before the riff hits.

Wasn't there a "3rd" guitar on the ZOOTV version?

u2fp

i dont think there is another guitar track on the zoo tv version, all i can come up with is the organ track during the chorus

JMScoopy said:
well 5 guitars if you count bono's

edge:

fender strat (zoo tv)
gibson les paul (elevation)
line 6 variax (vertigo)

bono:

gibson es-137 (zoo tv)
gretsch irish falcon (vertigo)

its actually a gibson es-175 custom shop model that b plays during zoo tv ;)

Edge also plays a Les Paul in the music video

I just dug up my Sydney video and played FLY. Aside from u2 I hear the organ during the chorus and audible clicktrack sound throughout(to sync the music with all the visuals)

u2fp

Last edited:
On the Zoo version Edge plays the keys in the chorus on paddles
with his feet.

It`s shown on an old MTV Zoo docu where Edge shows the camera crew the stage and screens.
( such a cool docu )

Edge : I play the guitar and sing and also have to play with my feet:laugh:
Bono : it`s like Cape Caneveral down there , it`s unbelieveable:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Has anyone here played a line 6 variax cause i'm buying a new guitar at the moment and its a choice out of

Line 6 Variax
Gretsch Double Jet
Cort (some jazz guitar)
EDIT: Maton MS500

and i can't decide just yet which one to get

Last edited:
i was looking at one recently, interesing sound not plugged in, didnt plug it in though

quadcaster said:

what? its the truth!

es-137s have quite a slim body, much closer to a 335 in body width to a 175 which is the full sized hollowbody :)

That's pretty right mate .

Last edited:
BTW this is a ES 175 :

es175-guitar.jpg

DignityPassesBy said:
Has anyone here played a line 6 variax cause i'm buying a new guitar at the moment and its a choice out of

Line 6 Variax
Gretsch Double Jet
Cort (some jazz guitar)
EDIT: Maton MS500

and i can't decide just yet which one to get

I've played a Line 6 Variax 600 through Fender, Vox & Marshall amps. They are ok to play but as with any guitar, it depends what your playing them through as to what sound you get from it. I'd recommend in trying one out, but I wouldn't get one unless it was a guitar I specifically knew I would use on more than one or two songs. A very good friend of mine owns a guitar shop and so I borrow guitars from him now and again and I used a line 6 Variax in the studio about two months ago whilst recording, but I ended up re-doing the guitar track with my Fender Strat, purely because I preferred the sound from it.

I've played the Gretsch Double Jet too which is a nice guitar to play. The ES 175 is also nice to play but neither are really guitars I'd choose to buy as I wouldn't use them that often.

Try 'em all and see which one suits what you're after best.

As for me, I usually play my Fender Strat or Ruby Red Les Paul through my Fender Amp set up and various effects pedals. Now and again I use a Vox amp and on the odd occasion I go through Marshall, but Fender are definately my favorite.

Last edited:
J_NP said:

What I meant it was they started to drop the song , should have used this word "started" . I mean before the 2nd leg it was played regularly , and in the 2nd leg several concerts wan't played , eventually being left in the 3rd leg .

They didn´t really drop the The Fly until they went back to America with their post 9/11 setlist.

At the end of leg 1 they started alternating songs for 1st and 2nd night setlist. The main setlist would either end with Pride or The Fly. If Pride closed the main set, The Fly would then close off the 1st 3 song encore, or vice versa. In Europe they decided that for whatever reason no third song would come after WOWY. So if Pride closed the main set, there would be no The Fly or vice versa.

I love the way the ending of the song evolved on the Vertigo Tour.......Firstly Edge finished on an awesome wail with larry and Adam trying to keep up and not have much idea what to do, then larry came up with that amazing drumming at the end as he did in the Chicago DvD.... Each show up until they worked out a standard in the first of the Chicago shows was different and some of them damn wild and exciting. I guess it got a little boring by the end of the tour with the same awesome ending, but it is perfect..... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom