The Fly and Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoobeatle

The Fly
I hope this hasnt been posted before and im sorry if ive put this in the wrong thread but am i the only one who thinks The Fly sounds crap on this tour, it just sounds so weak, especially Edges solo which is to me one of the greatest guitar solos on record. Havent heard the Live ZOO TV versions but would love to know your views.

Yeah, taking out the a) Les Paul and b) wah pedal just gutted this song (though the echo in the intro is nice).

Elevation version is still the best in my book.

the guitar on the Elevation Tour versions is the sickest, most awesomest gutiar tone i'll ever hear in my life. Elevation version rules :rockon:

you're not alone, and Bono's vocal were the worst whenever he sang this song (imo)

elevation and zootv versions are superior

you're not alone. Fly was best on ZooTV then Elevation.

The Fly lineup

Bono = Zoo TV
Edge = Zoo TV
Adam = Elevation
Larry = Vertigo

join those 4 together, and it's gold, Jerry... GOLD!!!

I think The Fly sucked a bit at Elevation mostly because of Bono who speaked the song instead of singin it. The Vertigo version was better. This is a song that musically reached always a good standard since its beginning live performances from Zoo Tv. Actually the band played it always wonderful, especially The Edge, the only one who had a bit regressions in this song (compared to Zoo Tv) was Bono. But I liked how he sang it this tour, he had a few improvements

One of my all-time favorite performances of The Fly comes from the Vertigo tour. 9/20 in Chicago, to be exact. It's even better when you play Discotheque from the same night right before it.

Bono sings it perfectly, the band play it with tons of energy, and the end is just incredible. If you haven't heard it already, you must.

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9FDBD04D7E723A0A (remove the space between 'you' and 'send')

ZOO TV's version was riskay, and arrogant. Sarcastic and sexy.

Elevation's was too friendly, too stripped down.

Vertigo's was a return to a dirty, eye opening electrionical swarm of distortion and experimentation.

theu2fly said:
ZOO TV's version was riskay, and arrogant. Sarcastic and sexy.

Elevation's was too friendly, too stripped down.

Vertigo's was a return to a dirty, eye opening electrionical swarm of distortion and experimentation.

Excactly my thoughts, Larrys new drumming...

ZOO TV's Fly - Classic ( my favorite) :drool::drool:
Elevation - Fantastic performance :drool:
Vertigo - After, seeing the other two performances, this performance doesn't shine as bright. Still don't know how the hat played into anything. :giggle:

pepokiss said:
The Fly lineup

Bono = Zoo TV
Edge = Zoo TV
Adam = Elevation
Larry = Vertigo

i actually think Adam's bass is better in the vertigo tour versions

Vertigo Version Rocks ...... Period

Elevation Version was a false version , that wasnt the real fly . Edge non singing ? Edge with Les paul ? All that distortion ? No real wah-wah until the solo ? Bono without guitar and the original attitude ? That intro , nice but in the fly :eyebrow: ? It was good but it wasnt the true fly.

Elevation Boston with the "gotta go"'s at the end was the best tv performance even without the words on the huge video screens. The Chicago Vertigo dvd somehow got the B-version of 'The Fly'.. u can catch the A-version of it on youtube. I was disappointed with what the dvd had for 'The Fly'. The A-version is much better. They must have had two or three versions of the visuals for the cities where there were multiple dates.

gorman said:
One of my all-time favorite performances of The Fly comes from the Vertigo tour. 9/20 in Chicago, to be exact. It's even better when you play Discotheque from the same night right before it.

Bono sings it perfectly, the band play it with tons of energy, and the end is just incredible. If you haven't heard it already, you must.

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9FDBD04D7E723A0A (remove the space between 'you' and 'send')

The video of this version is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dInoAXM-iZw

Watch Fly from Brazil , itssss fucking crazy and great , Bono goes wheres the Fly ? Coz Edge was having a little tech prob with his guitar , then when Bono just ended his line , Edge kicks in with a wicked Wah-Wah Intro :drool: What a version , Edge and Larry goin nuts at the end , Larry looking like a real crazy rock drummer :drool: :drool:

J_NP said:
Watch Fly from Brazil , itssss fucking crazy and great , Bono goes wheres the Fly ? Coz Edge was having a little tech prob with his guitar , then when Bono just ended his line , Edge kicks in with a wicked Wah-Wah Intro :drool: What a version , Edge and Larry goin nuts at the end , Larry looking like a real crazy rock drummer :drool: :drool:
i agree with this statement completly:yes:

J_NP said:

Totally agree, best version ever :drool: The snippets of 'the jean genie' and 'satisfaction' make it even better.

Apart from Bono's voice, I personally think the Vertigo version is the best one. Fantastic guitars and great video's. The truisms were back, and that's what The Fly is all about...

I don't like the way it was filmed on the Chicago DVD. Too much close-ups; it doesn't give you a good impression of the spirit of that song, which is one of my all-time favourites. Hope they fire Hamish for the next DVD.

Sorry, but the Elevation version was the best version I've heard. Zoo TV's was raw which I liked but Elevation's was just better overall, even without the massive video boards.

I would agree that the passion for that song and Zoo Station was missing this tour. Looked like they were just going through the motions. What I did love, however, was the Vertigo light show for The Fly.. that part was excellent. And from what I've seen on Youtube, the outdoor shows' video board stuff were pretty cool too.

one reason i like the Elevation version so much is that it was brand new -- still The Fly that was on AB and ZooTV, but totally, 100% different. more 'friendly' as somebody put it, it had a whole different feel, it wasn't just his kick-your-ass rock n' roll song like it was on ZooTV.

the Vertigo version? it's already been done!

edit: that being said, the 9/20 video was pretty damn good -- Larry totally rocks the gutiar solo!!

Last edited:
1. Vertigo Tour - Edge solo yeah baby - Bono's guitar is not only audible but kicks ass, Larry is a madman. Bono's singing: better. Best ending. Period.

2. ZOO TV - wicked

3. Pop Tour

4. War Tour

5. Joshua Tree Tour

6. Boy Tour.

7. Elevation Tour

(some sarcasm included there...Elevation ho hum sorry)

pepokiss said:
The Fly lineup

Bono = Zoo TV
Edge = Zoo TV
Adam = Elevation
Larry = Vertigo

Edge=Elevation

The solo on the boston dvd is one of his best solos ever.

Bono's guitar playing over the top of the Edge in the Chicago DVD is quite annoying...

Aside from that....

1.Elevation
2.Vertigo/Zoo TV

The Fly is probably U2's most transformed songs in terms of it live. I suppose you could put Desire in there too.....

bono_man2002 said:
Bono's guitar playing over the top of the Edge in the Chicago DVD is quite annoying...

Aside from that....

1.Elevation
2.Vertigo/Zoo TV

The Fly is probably U2's most transformed songs in terms of it live. I suppose you could put Desire in there too.....

Yes Desire went as its best in ZooTV with Mirroball Man

Back
Top Bottom