The European setlists - BIG DISAPPOINT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

no no, dont throw veritgo inbetween 2 hits Pride and Streets, throw Vertigo inbetween Bullet and Running to Stand Still. Those are two songs that weren't on the radio and aren't hits so most fans won't know them. If you throw Vertigo inbetween them the place will go crazzzzzy. I think anytime 2 non hit songs are played together, they need to throw Vertigo inbetween them because the majority of the crowd only knows the hits, and thats who U2 needs to play for.

So obviously the answer to the setlist problems is more Vertigo. The crowd loves it and goes crazy for it!!!

Setlist problem is solved!!!!!!!!:up:

Thanks Chizip!

:rant: :banghead: :mad:

Oooh man here we go again!

Glasgow (for example) was a great show...I was there, so no-one is going to tell me otherwise. Believe me when I tell you I would bitch from the highest rooftops, if U2 delivered a sub-standard show in any way. Seriously, I'm a grumpy old bastard, I'd tell ya :wink:

We get one show in Scotland and even if we had more, I would still only be able to afford one. They played a great setlist, which encompassed the songs that I grew up listening to and love so much. They play for the masses, which as much as you might hate it, includes new fans who may only be hearing U2 live for the very first time. Who are we to demand otherwise?

Why then, should U2 cater to people who are going to as many gigs as they can, some 4, 5 and 6 times for example? Tho it's not mentioned in this thread, some people are saying they'll sell or trade some of their tix for 3rd leg venues, because they don't want to hear the same show twice or three times. U2 are appreciative of their fans, but it's unrealistic to imagine they'll change sets simply to appeal to multiple concert-goers.

I honestly don't understand this thing people have got about the tour being a "Greatest Hits Show". U2 won't and never have, played every song from every album. There are in all likelihood, new songs they would want to play but feel they couldn't do them justice in a live setting. Why has no-one considered that U2 are simply trying to make sure they give a good performance?

It's a 2hour or 2 hour + show they play, so they are going to fill the gaps between new songs, with the songs that have had a great reception in the past. Er, that would be their "Greatest Hits" then surely, wouldn't it folks? I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.

I know there are songs I would like to hear or more accurately, songs I wouldn't like to hear again, so I understand some of the frustration (to a point). But look at it this way, they get 2 hours apprx to make sure they entertain, so it just makes sense that they choose tried and tested songs with broad appeal.

I don't even want to get into the Vertigo2 arguement AGAIN.

stevec said:

Oooh man here we go again!

We're going to have threads like these until the tour is over, aren't we? And started by the same few people everytime. :sigh:

People are entitled to their opinions, but aren't there like 5 other threads already on this topic that can be continued besides starting a new thread like this every week?

I don't really buy the whole "U2 needs to play to the masses" theory

The masses are idiots. The masses sit on their hands during the best part of the show, the Zoo Station/Fly combo.

Wouldn't U2 rather put on a great show for the fans who have stuck with them through the years, who own all of their cds, who buy fanclub memberships and merchandise, who actually know words to An Cath Dubh rather than the fans who only know the radio songs and thought they would be "cool" by going to a U2 concert?

I know if I were in a band I'd want to make my real fans happy rather than the wannabe fans who go to the bathroom during An Cath Dubh.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

The masses are idiots. The masses sit on their hands during the best part of the show, the Zoo Station/Fly combo.

Wouldn't U2 rather put on a great show for the fans who have stuck with them through the years, who own all of their cds, who buy fanclub memberships and merchandise, who actually know words to An Cath Dubh rather than the fans who only know the radio songs and thought they would be "cool" by going to a U2 concert?

I know if I were in a band I'd want to make my real fans happy rather than the wannabe fans who go to the bathroom during An Cath Dubh.

But they did do this. In the US, they played An Cath Dubh, The Ocean, Gloria, Electric Co. . . . This tour, they've played more non-single, more "obscure" songs than they did with Elevation.

As for Europe, they're only just finishing up the second full week of the 3rd leg. And by reading the fan reviews on www.u2tours.com, it seems the European reviews are even better that the US ones so far.

Last edited:
stevec said:
:I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.

Well, my flight was cancelled (who the fuck knows why) and now I'm not leaving until 1:15PM. I'm so lucky I can continue to enjoy the setlist moan fest.

Back to the point. What's funny stevec is people were moaning about An Cat Dubh and even Out of Control.

How many times did I read on here during the shows where they played An Cat Dubh that it brought the show whole down because most of the people at the arena didn't know it and then it took a few songs to get the crowd back in it. Even Out of Control people said, omg why did they pick Out of Control (which has only played once) they played it during Elevation why couldn't they play another song.

It's hysterical to read this.

So there are lets say 50,000 people in the stadium. Let's say for sake of argument that 10,000 are diehard fanatics like the people on this board, they play this perfect diehard setlist but there are 40,000 people who have no idea what these songs are. Guess what, the next day everyone would be bitching that although the setlist was great the show sucked because most of the crowd were sitting down looking dumbfounded because they didn't know more than half the songs.

And then God forbid some of the obscure songs weren't the ones that all of the diehards wanted to hear, so 20 or 30% on any given night of even the diehards would also be pissed.

The setlist bitching is absolutely pointless, but I guess it passes the time.:wink:

Chizip said:

In principal I agree, but U2 want/need new blood too. I've noticed here in the UK that the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD has re-entered the sales charts again. Now that's gotta be the new blood, 'cause it's not the die-hards buying it after being released so long ago.

If that's the case, U2 want to capitalise on this by playing to those masses which let's not forget, STILL includes us. If U2 are to survive another decade, they need new fans to replace the ones who will inevitably fall by the side of the road.

Even Bono said that fans left the band when AB hit the shelves, as it was too much of a departure for them to take. My cousin for example (who got me into them in 85) was one of those who despised U2 after that. Shame, I think he missed U2 at their most creative.

Even during the Zoo TV and Popmart tours, "greatest hits" songs were still being played at the concerts, so we're really not seeing anything particularly new happening now.

Meet you here for the same threads during the next tour? :wink:

kellyahern said:

But they did do this. In the US, they played An Cath Dubh, The Ocean, Gloria, Electric Co. . . . This tour, they've played more non-single, more "obscure" songs than they did with Elevation.

As for Europe, they're only just finishing up the second full week of the 3rd leg. And by reading the fan reviews on www.u2tours.com, it seems the European reviews are even better that the US ones so far.

You're right, and I'm grateful for that, it's made me rediscoover what a great album Boy really is.

I guess I'm just thinking of the "classics" Pride, SBS, One, Bullet, etc... all just seem so stale and tired on this tour that it would be better if they rotated them with other hits that haven't gotten as much airplay over the years.

stevec said:

I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.

That's my main complaint stevec. They don't play them anymore in europe...they dropped gloria, Bad, cat dubh/into the heart, ocean, 40..

I thought the setlist in the USA was fine, of course they play the songs they know best...but the beginning of the US tour indicated great things to come. you can come with every argument there is to imagine but the fact remains: the setlist in europe thusfar is not good. And if I hear Bono saying in chicago that they would shake up things because it won't do if they put on the same show it makes me a bit annoyed .Hell he even called the US-concerts rehearsels compared to what to expect in Europe. Maybe I've been misinformed the last couple of weeks and do they play 26 songs each night with major shake ups I don't know...

ramblin rose said:

Well, my flight was cancelled (who the fuck knows why) and now I'm not leaving until 1:15PM. I'm so lucky I can continue to enjoy the setlist moan fest.

Back to the point. What's funny stevec is people were moaning about An Cat Dubh and even Out of Control.

How many times did I read on here during the shows where they played An Cat Dubh that it brought the show whole down because most of the people at the arena didn't know it and then it took a few songs to get the crowd back in it. Even Out of Control people said, omg why did they pick Out of Control (which has only played once) they played it during Elevation why couldn't they play another song.

It's hysterical to read this.

So there are lets say 50,000 people in the stadium. Let's say for sake of argument that 10,000 are diehard fanatics like the people on this board, they play this perfect diehard setlist but there are 40,000 people who have no idea what these songs are. Guess what, the next day everyone would be bitching that although the setlist was great the show sucked because most of the crowd were sitting down looking dumbfounded because they didn't know more than half the songs.

And then God forbid some of the obscure songs weren't the ones that all of the diehards wanted to hear, so 20 or 30% on any given night of even the diehards would also be pissed.

The setlist bitching is absolutely pointless, but I guess it passes the time.:wink:

I kinda look at songs like An Cat Dub, Zoo Station, Out Of Control, et al, as being the pay-off for us die-hards, while the remainder of the show is new songs and greatest hits. I can see U2 trying to appeal to us (die-hards) while still appealing to the newbies in playing these songs. It's always going to be a balancing act I guess.

Shame about your flight...I have so little patience when things like that happen and I worked in airlines for 8 years LOL

stevec said:

In principal I agree, but U2 want/need new blood too. I've noticed here in the UK that the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD has re-entered the sales charts again. Now that's gotta be the new blood, 'cause it's not the die-hards buying it after being released so long ago.

If that's the case, U2 want to capitalise on this by playing to those masses which let's not forget, STILL includes us. If U2 are to survive another decade, they need new fans to replace the ones who will inevitably fall by the side of the road.

Even Bono said that fans left the band when AB hit the shelves, as it was too much of a departure for them to take. My cousin for example (who got me into them in 85) was one of those who despised U2 after that. Shame, I think he missed U2 at their most creative.

Even during the Zoo TV and Popmart tours, "greatest hits" songs were still being played at the concerts, so we're really not seeing anything particularly new happening now.

Meet you here for the same threads during the next tour? :wink:

Thats funny that you mentioned the best of 90-00 has reentered the charts since they havent played any songs on the tour from between late '91 to '00 :wink:

I understand that they have to play a lot of their hits. But they have so many hits that we don't need to be hearing Pride for the billionth time, rotate in another hit for it.

And you know U2 doesn't need to sell the hit songs to the audience, they already know and love them. Play some the songs that kick ass the most of the audience hasnt heard, and maybe that could inspire them to check out those songs and the rest of their catalogue.

Chizip said:

Great post chizip...I'm in a band(not as big as U2 thogh) well not yet anyway:wink:

stevec said:

I kinda look at songs like An Cat Dub, Zoo Station, Out Of Control, et al, as being the pay-off for us die-hards, while the remainder of the show is new songs and greatest hits. I can see U2 trying to appeal to us (die-hards) while still appealing to the newbies in playing these songs. It's always going to be a balancing act I guess.

:yes: imo, that's exactly what they're trying to do.

And I'd just like to add that Europe has gotten I Will Follow, AIWIY and WGRYWH on several occasions, which makes me jealous :wink: (not to mention that huge screen . . . love the screen . . . wish the US got that :drool: :bow: ).

zwervers2 said:

That's my main complaint stevec. They don't play them anymore in europe...they dropped gloria, Bad, cat dubh/into the heart, ocean, 40..

I thought the setlist in the USA was fine, of course they play the songs they know best...but the beginning of the US tour indicated great things to come. you can come with every argument there is to imagine but the fact remains: the setlist in europe thusfar is not good. And if I hear Bono saying in chicago that they would shake up things because it won't do if they put on the same show it makes me a bit annoyed .Hell he even called the US-concerts rehearsels compared to what to expect in Europe. Maybe I've been misinformed the last couple of weeks and do they play 26 songs each night with major shake ups I don't know...

There's still time on this leg tho, so maybe there will be a shake up by the time Vertigo hits continental Europe? You'll hopefully get a mix of US/UK setlists.

Tell you what tho, I hope you get as great a rendition of Wild Horses as we got in Glasgow - I still get that tingling just thinking back to it. So great to hear that one again after 12 years!! :drool:

zwervers2 said:

Great post chizip...I'm in a band(not as big as U2 thogh) well not yet anyway:wink:

You gonna do a greatest hits tour when you're bigger than U2? LOL

Just kiddin' :wink:

kellyahern said:

:yes: imo, that's exactly what they're trying to do.

And I'd just like to add that Europe has gotten I Will Follow, AIWIY and WGRYWH on several occasions, which makes me jealous :wink: (not to mention that huge screen . . . love the screen . . . wish the US got that :drool: :bow: ).

Oooh God the screen :drool:

The photos just don't do it any justice at all.

Chizip said:

You're right, and I'm grateful for that, it's made me rediscoover what a great album Boy really is.

I guess I'm just thinking of the "classics" Pride, SBS, One, Bullet, etc... all just seem so stale and tired on this tour that it would be better if they rotated them with other hits that haven't gotten as much airplay over the years.

I see your point about Pride and One. But I think they're playing those songs because of the "theme" of the show (whether people agree on the theme or not, that's a whole other can of worms that I don't want to get into here :lol: ). Plus we get to do the cool "light up the night" with the cell phones thing during One :wink:.

As for SBS and Bullet, I love those songs and still think they're great live, but that's just my personal preference. :shrug:

stevec said:

There's still time on this leg tho, so maybe there will be a shake up by the time Vertigo hits continental Europe? You'll hopefully get a mix of US/UK setlists.

Tell you what tho, I hope you get as great a rendition of Wild Horses as we got in Glasgow - I still get that tingling just thinking back to it. So great to hear that one again after 12 years!! :drool:

I'm thrilled that they started WGRYWH again..of course I am how could anyone not be:wink:

I consider myself lucky that they play 3 times in Masterdam and therefor it is out of the question that they play three similar sets(at least I hope)..I agree with chizip when he says that they have soooo many well known songs that it would be fun for us and I imagine for them to play those rarities, that;s why I'm surprised that they dropped something like Gloria which absolutely rocked..
They do not have to change that much to make it more interesting for EVERYONE (funny that they start with that word)

stevec said:

You gonna do a greatest hits tour when you're bigger than U2? LOL

Just kiddin' :wink:

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!:rockon:

but also play lot's of rarities and problably a cover of acrobat which infact we play to perfection(I kid you not):wink:

Chizip said:

No is the answer, they do not.

Two reasons, firstly if you read the huge book recently released about U2's live career, Paul McGuiness says that the bad actuagot fed up with the same facers being in the front rows in the heart of the Elevation tour.

Secondly, they actually tried to stop people going to multiple shows by insttricting Ticketmaster to cancel multiple show orders.

With all due respect, the current set list is the perfect combination between new and old and it's interesting that most of the people that have been to European gigs think the same.

If anything, I think the underlining issue that is prompting many of the concerns regarding this tour is that it lacks a common theme, plus the staging is very similar to that of the Elevation tour. There wasn't the huge excitement and surprise around the opening gigs regarding the staging.

kellyahern said:

I see your point about Pride and One. But I think they're playing those songs because of the "theme" of the show (whether people agree on the theme or not, that's a whole other can of worms that I don't want to get into here :lol: ). Plus we get to do the cool "light up the night" with the cell phones thing during One :wink:.

As for SBS and Bullet, I love those songs and still think they're great live, but that's just my personal preference. :shrug:

LOL The night was already lit up with cellphones anyway (click, click, click, click). Which reminds me, I'll need to upload the cellphone pics I took to Photobucket, to compliment the digicam ones.

I know why I'm probably not moaning. I went to 6 shows in the 1st leg and lucked out with my choices of shows. So far I've been able to hear:

1 Vertigo - Stories For Boys snippet
2 Miracle Drug
3 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4 Love and Peace or Else
5 City of Blinding Lights
6 Original of the Species
7 All Because Of You
8 Yahweh

9 Beautiful Day (with various different snippets)
10 Elevation

11 The Ocean
12 Out of Control
13 Cry - The Electric Co.
14 An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart
15 Gloria

16 New Year's Day
17 Sunday Bloody Sunday
18 40
19 Pride
20 Bad/40

21 Bullet the Blue Sky-HTBA-Johnny
22 Running to Stand Still - Hallelujah
23 Where the Streets Have No Name
24 With or Without You

25 Zoo Station
26 The Fly
27 One
28 Mysterious Ways
29 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
30 Until the End of the World

31 The Jean Genie
32 Party Girl

And to top it off I got to experience 2 Vertigo x2 and both the LPOE & COBL opening. I feel blessed. :happy:

Although now that I think about it I'm kind of pissed off that I never got to hear ISHFWILF :mad: (but maybe they'll play that + AIWIY in Barcelona):wink:

ramblin rose said:
I know why I'm probably not moaning. I went to 6 shows in the 1st leg and lucked out with my choices of shows. So far I've been able to hear:

1 Vertigo - Stories For Boys snippet
2 Miracle Drug
3 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4 Love and Peace or Else
5 City of Blinding Lights
6 Original of the Species
7 All Because Of You
8 Yahweh

9 Beautiful Day (with various different snippets)
10 Elevation

11 The Ocean
12 Out of Control
13 Cry - The Electric Co.
14 An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart
15 Gloria

16 New Year's Day
17 Sunday Bloody Sunday
18 40
19 Pride
20 Bad/40

21 Bullet the Blue Sky-HTBA-Johnny
22 Running to Stand Still - Hallelujah
23 Where the Streets Have No Name
24 With or Without You

25 Zoo Station
26 The Fly
27 One
28 Mysterious Ways
29 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
30 Until the End of the World

31 The Jean Genie
32 Party Girl

And to top it off I got to experience 2 Vertigo x2 and both the LPOE & COBL opening. I feel blessed. :happy:

Although now that I think about it I'm kind of pissed off that I never got to hear ISHFWILF :mad: (but maybe they'll play that + AIWIY in Barcelona):wink:

You are blessed indeed..:wink:

would be even cooler if you would have seen this set of songs in just 2 days:wink: This is an perfect example what is wrong..look at the songs, they are great! Just switch more between them.

ramblin rose said:

I could have wept when they played "I Still Haven't Found..."

:dancing:

I was at Twickenham 1 and Glasgow and we got the usual suspects + they swapped these -

"I Will Follow" for "All Because Of You"
"All I Want Is You" for "Whos Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
"Mysterious Ways" for "With Or Without You"

So I am pretty happy. If they play Bad or UTEOTW or both at Cardiff then I will be ecstatic.

Back
Top Bottom