The European setlists - BIG DISAPPOINT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:

No, no JT for me. I didn't got to any concerts at all until college . . . I'm a late bloomer :reject: , but I'm making up for it now :).

okay so I'm officialy burned out...30 years old and burned out who could have ever thought:sad:

lol...burned out not by a longshot:rockon:

AtomicBono said:

Plus Sunday Bloody Sunday made its full band comeback on Elevation, now there's nothing really new to it except the "Father Abraham" snippet (which I think is BEAUTIFUL) and the Jesus-Jew-Mohammed thing.

I really don't care for it honestly. I'd prefer he snippeted Bob Marley again.

A lot of shows he also said "this isn't an Irish song anymore, it's yours" to the American crowd. To me it will always be about Ireland.

That being said, I hope SBS never gets dropped. They don't need to play it at every show, but don't drop it. It's a fast pace song, and NYD and SBS never seemed "tired" to me. Now Pride....

RademR said:

That being said, I hope SBS never gets dropped. They don't need to play it at every show, but don't drop it. It's a fast pace song, and NYD and SBS never seemed "tired" to me. Now Pride....

this is why this whole discussion just goes in circles. not putting down your opinion, but everyones will be different. for me nyd is the most boring played out song in the catalog, and i really enjoyed pride this tour.

All the diehards will think one or two classsic songs are boring or played out, etc. the problem is there is no consensus on which ones, and that makes it hard to drop some- b/c which ones do you drop? the casual fan wants to see all of them, and feels slighted without pride, nyd, streets, sbs, etc.

u2 knows this, and ultimately knows what they are doing.

ya, but circles are great if the debates are well thought out and good discussions such as this whole thread basically.

I don't see any "u2 suck!!!" posts going on, so it's just good conversation. Any in my case, good time to pass at work :wink:

smileplease said:

No is the answer, they do not.

Two reasons, firstly if you read the huge book recently released about U2's live career, Paul McGuiness says that the bad actuagot fed up with the same facers being in the front rows in the heart of the Elevation tour.

Secondly, they actually tried to stop people going to multiple shows by insttricting Ticketmaster to cancel multiple show orders.

With all due respect, the current set list is the perfect combination between new and old and it's interesting that most of the people that have been to European gigs think the same.

If anything, I think the underlining issue that is prompting many of the concerns regarding this tour is that it lacks a common theme, plus the staging is very similar to that of the Elevation tour. There wasn't the huge excitement and surprise around the opening gigs regarding the staging.

the new setlist is the perfect combo of new and old. they just left out a ton of the middle. and i think thats what the bitching is about. from rattle and hum to atyclb (with the exception of ab) we have heard 3 songs. 3 songs for 4 albums from U2's heydey. that is insane. and this is why vertigo x2 stings so much. if all i want is you had not been brought back, that would be 2 songs from 4 albums. scary.

but this whole thing about U2 playing for the masses or playing for the casuals is all wrong. U2 is trying to play for both and is missing out on the central idea that bands like springsteen, rem and pearl jam have learned. you have to play for yourself and constantly challenge yourself to make it fun. the fans will still come. as a musician myself i get urges to play songs i have written over the last decade. springsteen obviously does as well as he played 120 songs in 120 shows last tour. that is amazing. what he did was ingenius. he created a set based on new songs and a couple old and rotated close to 12-14 spots a night sometimes. it was challening, exciting and never once affected the flow of the set. U2 has to play for themselves. they wrote all these songs for a reason. don't tell me edge doesn't sit there and say, damn exit was fun on the joshua tree tour. we really nailed that live. lets try to do that again. or bono says remember that feeling during love is blindness with the stadium almost black, lets try that again. or adam says i love that bassline on tomorrow, lets try that. or larry says i love that drumming on mofo, lets try it again. what holds them back?

if i could only ask them one question, i would ask why they are afraid to play some songs live now.

Last edited:
Vervefloyd said:

the new setlist is the perfect combo of new and old. they just left out a ton of the middle. and i think thats what the bitching is about. from rattle and hum to atyclb (with the exception of ab) we have heard 3 songs. 3 songs for 4 albums from U2's heydey. that is insane. and this is why vertigo x2 stings so much. if all i want is you had not been brought back, that would be 2 songs from 4 albums. scary.

but this whole thing about U2 playing for the masses or playing for the casuals is all wrong. U2 is trying to play for both and is missing out on the central idea that bands like springsteen, rem and pearl jam have learned. you have to play for yourself and constantly challenge yourself to make it fun. the fans will still come. as a musician myself i get urges to play songs i have written over the last decade. springsteen obviously does as well as he played 120 songs in 120 shows last tour. that is amazing. what he did was ingenius. he created a set based on new songs and a couple old and rotated close to 12-14 spots a night sometimes. it was challening, exciting and never once affected the flow of the set. U2 has to play for themselves. they wrote all these songs for a reason. don't tell me edge doesn't sit there and say, damn exit was fun on the joshua tree tour. we really nailed that live. lets try to do that again. or bono says remember that feeling during love is blindness with the stadium almost black, lets try that again. or adam says i love that bassline on tomorrow, lets try that. or larry says i love that drumming on mofo, lets try it again. what holds them back?

if i could only ask them one question, i would ask why they are afraid to play some songs live now.
i really dont get this perl jam and springsteen comparrison, over here in the UK there really not as big as U2

KUEFC09U2 said:
i really dont get this perl jam and springsteen comparrison, over here in the UK there really not as big as U2

He is simply pointing out that they are two very good acts that have been VERY successful playing what they want (which usually differs night to night). Another is Dave Matthews Band - who routinely has some of the most successful tours every year (even though he doesn't leave the continent).

On that note however, I would wager 98% of Americans couldn't pick Robbie Williams out of a lineup.

cmb737 said:

He is simply pointing out that they are two very good acts that have been VERY successful playing what they want (which usually differs night to night). Another is Dave Matthews Band - who routinely has some of the most successful tours every year (even though he doesn't leave the continent).

On that note however, I would wager 98% of Americans couldn't pick Robbie Williams out of a lineup.
i never mentioned him once, all i said was those bands werent as big here in the UK as they are in the U.S.

jag0918 said:
Im a die-hard fan and after going to multiple shows every tour since Zoo Tv, it seems they've lost their flare.

Go to lesser shows.
It is normal that one person sees one concert.
So, practically, you don't care if they play two Vertigos every show. They play them just on YOUR show. Okay?

Well the Dublin night 2 is:
Setlist: Vertigo
Out Of Control
The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
Elevation
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Running To Stand Still / Walk On (snippet)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Party Girl
All Because Of You
Yahweh
Vertigo / Jailbreak (snippet)

BIG F*****G DEAL !!