The ellipse is beginning to resemble a playground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that people are just taking their kids to the concert just to get into the Elipse.
LA elipse was a joke. Kids running around playing computer games. One women even had a baby crawling on the floor. The baby looked about 8 months old.

let me guess...another woman had a baby suckling at each breast?

two other kids were having matchbox car races?

:help:

EDIT: I think I've beaten all the kid-haters to death enuff...Im out...have fun being mean spirited to kids lol

Its digusting how people suddenly started bringing kids to the show once word got out about the ellipse and getting onstage.
Manipulative and sad. I saw 4 shows last week and EVERY SINGLE person with a kid had that crazed stage parent look in their eye.

I don't understand people sometimes. How do you fully enjoy a U2 show GAing with a kid to look after? (by "kid" I mean under 13). Going to a U2 show is about having fun and cutting loose. Me, if I ever took my son and daughter at such an age GAing at a U2 show, I'd be concerned about the people around my children that I'd miss a lot of the action up on the stage. How can you really be a responsible parent of a child GAing at a U2 show without being completely aware of the environment that you've placed your children in? Maybe this is just me, I don't know. Seats are different, but an open floor? No way. I have no intentions of putting my kids in that position so I can't watch the band on the stage when I want to.

Share in the experience? Maybe with seats.

gabrielvox said:

:shrug:

What can I do? It was his request, this is the same kid that has every U2 song imaginable downloaded to his xBox and who tormented me for weeks with endless weeks of the Ramones greatest hits

and he's a hip hop kid....go figure...

Gotta love the new generation coming up....theyre just so cool :)

Your choice, but my dad never took me to see any movie I wanted to see or get me all the animals I wanted as pets just b/c I could prove how obsessed I was :shrug:

ETA: Also, based on the behavior of some of the adults in the ellipse, I wouldn't want a young kid near that. It's just not worth it. Kids can dress up and go to the midnight release of new Harry Potter movies, they don't need to be on the floor at a VERY loud rock concert surrounded by pushy adults yelling, cursing, and spilling their beer on everyone but themselves :|

Last edited:
Of course not, but we're talking about U2 here. I can think of no other act on the planet better for my kid to see, and to make a comparison to a whimsical pet or some immoral or violent movie is ludicrous so Im not sure why you are making that analogy.

Most balanced parents let their kids make their own choices in entertainment and pets etc so long as the family's moral beliefs and finances permit it. Its called progressively having the freedom to choose your behaviour within balanced limits as you get older, and I feel perfectly justified in letting my son choose to see U2 at age 10. If he were to come and ask me to see say, Ol Dirty Bastard or some other such thing, I would have to talk with him about that sort of thing being outside of what we as a family consider acceptable. In fact we did this for Wakestock - he thought it was just a cool concert with skateboarding and bands, but when I opened his eyes to the fact that there would be alot of rowdy drunk teenagers doing drugs and generally behaving badly, he agreed it was not the place for him.

Unbalanced parents dictate their kid's every action or over regulate what they take in.

Personally, I think people are treading on very shaky ground when they start judging what others do with their children or comparing it to what their parents did with them...pulllleaaase..

But I guess I must be one of the irresponsible parents... right up there with Bono and Ali and Edge and Morleigh :lol:

Last edited:
Come on now Gabe, I've got nothing against you as a person or a parent and I never once said you were irresponsible. It's not that big of a deal. Bono's girls are 14 and 16. When I was that age, if I wanted to go see a rock show, fine, I'd make the money for the ticket and find a ride from a friend. I'm talking about 5, 6, 7 year olds who should be in bed by 8pm.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Come on now Gabe, I've got nothing against you as a person or a parent and I never once said you were irresponsible. It's not that big of a deal. Bono's girls are 14 and 16. When I was that age, if I wanted to go see a rock show, fine, I'd make the money for the ticket and find a ride from a friend. I'm talking about 5, 6, 7 year olds who should be in bed by 8pm.

Lies - you quoted my post, which I only used in reference to my own 10 year old, not a 6 year old. I also have a 6 year old daughter, and much to her protest, she did not accompany us to the show, she was not permitted. She can sing the lyrics to more U2 songs than alot of people I know, but that doensn't mean she gets to go, she's just too young.

Then you used the analogy that basically implied that I allowed him to go because he proved to me how obsessed he was. You were quoting my post in which I explained that he wasn't just some little brat who I used to get into the ellipse, he is just as valid a U2 fan at 10 as you or I. Again, you quoted me, not anyone else, and I clearly was not talking about 6 year olds who should be in bed by 8...which, ironically, is pretty close to my 10 year old's bedtime on a schoolnight lol...he had to earn brownie points with his mom to get the break for U2 :yikes:

For my son, he started....developing so to speak at age 10. He's a bit ahead of other kids his age, he's going through his growth and whatever other headaches he can give me now lol, whereas other kids might start this at 12.

At 10, I discovered U2. At 11, I bought Boy with my hard earned paper route money. My parents did not allow me to go see my favorite band.

I'll be damned if I make the same mistake with my kids. His concert at age 10 was a rite of passage for us...I still think I owe it to him to get him into the ellipse, and if the powers that be take a look at him next time and say hey kid why not, go into the ellipse, I see no reason why any other U2 fan, especially those who have seen tons of shows, should feel spiteful or resentful of that. I likely won't ask for it, it's not my style, but I'm certainly not going to turn it down or feel bad about it if it happens.

When you have your own, you will understand. :wink:

:)

EDIT: oh yeah....the other thing that happened when I was 10....my favorite uncle, who turned me on to Bob Marley and reggae music when I was a kid, wanted to take me to see Bob Marley at Maple Leaf Gardens, his last Canadian show. My mom said no, you're not going to a show with a bunch of drunken pot smoking rastafarians, it will corrupt you for life. Marley died the following year. I never got to see him. Ive been scarred for life because of it....ok Im exagerating....but I always wish I had been able to go to that show....

a bit of a raw nerve for me, this whole music and kids thing
:|

Last edited:
i am ALL FOR kids at shows. i brought mine to phoenix. in fact, i'm bringing my twelve year old daughter to the fiona apple show next week. general admission.

i love kids at shows.

hell, i'd rather be at a U2 show surrounded by thousands of children, as opposed to the asshole adults that i was surrounded by the last time i did GA.

bonosgirl84 said:
hell, i'd rather be at a U2 show surrounded by thousands of children, as opposed to the asshole adults that i was surrounded by the last time i did GA.

:up:

Maybe if there were more children, the assholes would feel ashamed of themselves and smarten up...

Not too many people can justify acting boorish around children...

gabrielvox said:

Lies - you quoted my post, which I only used in reference to my own 10 year old, not a 6 year old. I also have a 6 year old daughter, and much to her protest, she did not accompany us to the show, she was not permitted. She can sing the lyrics to more U2 songs than alot of people I know, but that doensn't mean she gets to go, she's just too young.

Well, then we're in agreement :shrug: I'd take a 10 year old to a U2 show, probably only if I had seats, but that's b/c I want the GA experience all to myself :D and wouldn't want to worry about keeping a kid entertained in a tent all night and all the next day (for me, GA is camping or bust).

ETA: my parents are not "unbalanced" nor did they "dictate" my life. Quite the contrary. It was simple: I could do whatever I wanted, they stayed out of my life (too much, if we're bringing up "raw nerves"). So whatever I wanted to do, I had to pay for, find time for, get transportation for, etc, and it was fine.

Last edited:
I love this place :)

:hug:

I guess my back went up way before you joined in, around the time when people started saying that kids somehow deserve to see U2 less than others...

who knows....I do have to agree with the seats tho, but Im not going to upper levels..lol..so being the poor man I am its GA or nothing....I said it from sept 13 onward...from now on when I take Anthony if we don't scan we're hangin back by the soundboard ....its pretty cool back there for kids/young adults

G

Disgusting that someone's kid puked in the Big E. Just puts me off the whole thing. There you have 4 big strong men putting up a wall of sound and then this puny one who cannot articulate itself or make a scramble to somewhere less crowded...sigh. I'm a teenager and I hate children. No to say all teenagers hate kids, but I do. I'm refering to kids in general here. Take offence at your own will. And please don't bring the fucking have you ever been a kid crap on me.

I'll bring my sister into the E. She's 12 but she's small for her age. She is, however, my mentally, physically and vocally mature.

gabrielvox said:

:up:

Maybe if there were more children, the assholes would feel ashamed of themselves and smarten up...

I doubt that there's anything that would change the behaviour of an asshole.

i_love_adam said:
Disgusting that someone's kid puked in the Big E. Just puts me off the whole thing. There you have 4 big strong men putting up a wall of sound and then this puny one who cannot articulate itself or make a scramble to somewhere less crowded...sigh. I'm a teenager and I hate children. No to say all teenagers hate kids, but I do. I'm refering to kids in general here. Take offence at your own will. And please don't bring the fucking have you ever been a kid crap on me.

I'll bring my sister into the E. She's 12 but she's small for her age. She is, however, my mentally, physically and vocally mature.

:lol:

Is this meant to be funny?

I only pray for your sister's sake, that she has more maturity mentally and vocally. I wonder if she hates kids too....sounds like a real loving family

:madspit:

gabrielvox said:

:lol:

Is this meant to be funny?

I only pray for your sister's sake, that she has more maturity mentally and vocally. I wonder if she hates kids too....sounds like a real loving family

:madspit:

No this is not fucking meant to be funny. Harhardeharhar. She's 12, I'm 14, old codger. As far as I'm concerned, 12 is not considered a kid (definitely not by the airline standards).

Yes and I'm very sure you love everything and everyone it the whole world, buster. Is it wrong to have something that you dislike in this vast world? Don't answer, I know it's fine. Some people hate cats, I hate kids. *shrug*

kellyahern said:

I'd wager that a good number of adults have "puked in the Big E" a few times this tour also :shifty:.

I said "big E" cos I couldn't spell Ellipse (yes, possibly still can't). I always thought it was Eclispe. Sick. Due to alcohol overload? No wonder Adam doesn't drink anymore. I was never a fan of it either. Too many secrets I can't blab. I work for the FBI (this is a joke, people here. J-O-K-E. A funny)

I think that ratio below is a wee bit of an exaggeration, no?

i_love_adam said:

No this is not fucking meant to be funny. Harhardeharhar. She's 12, I'm 14, old codger. As far as I'm concerned, 12 is not considered a kid (definitely not by the airline standards).

Yes and I'm very sure you love everything and everyone it the whole world, buster. Is it wrong to have something that you dislike in this vast world? Don't answer, I know it's fine. Some people hate cats, I hate kids. *shrug*

14?? LOL I bet my 10 year old has more U2 sense (and for that matter maturity) than you do.

Disliking cats and hating human beings, big difference.

But you'll realize that one day...like, when you grow up.

Have fun becoming an adult, kid :wave:

gabrielvox said:

Disliking cats and hating human beings, big difference.

Obviously you missed the "irony" of my prose, dodood. Did you fail Literature? By making such a statement, my persona is downgrading kids to the level of mere animals. This is consistent with my earlier ramblings of how I hate kids.

You have a kid and you are still free enough to browse U2 forums? Where I'm from (a country which I will not name. You have probably never been to and I shall not mention it cos we are having a senseless arguement which I think both parties enjoy and I cannot give you a bad impression of. We want your tourist dollar) mothers (I'm sure you're a girl, gabriel, only us girls can be so bitchy) spend their time a little...perhaps, more productively?

Yes I'm sure your little kiddo has lots of sense; he sure didn't get it from you.

i_love_adam said:

Obviously you missed the "irony" of my prose, dodood. Did you fail Literature? By making such a statement, my persona is downgrading kids to the level of mere animals. This is consistent with my earlier ramblings of how I hate kids.

You have a kid and you are still free enough to browse U2 forums? Where I'm from (a country which I will not name. You have probably never been to and I shall not mention it cos we are having a senseless arguement which I think both parties enjoy and I cannot give you a bad impression of. We want your tourist dollar) mothers (I'm sure you're a girl, gabriel, only us girls can be so bitchy) spend their time a little...perhaps, more productively?

Yes I'm sure your little kiddo has lots of sense; he sure didn't get it from you.

Very mature. :up:

:|

This whole thread is one big drama fest. :|

Alright gabrielvox, lets shake on it. If we come here together as one to celebrate our love for U2, we should practice whan the B man himself (my mentor who doesn't know me) preaches. World peace! Everyone needs a release, and I like to do mine behind a facade of an online username. I'm sorry pal! Shake on it?

I just have bad expereince with puking. An ex-lover (don't ask) vomitted all over me before.

i_love_adam said:
Alright gabrielvox, lets shake on it. If we come here together as one to celebrate our love for U2, we should practice whan the B man himself (my mentor who doesn't know me) preaches. World peace! Everyone needs a release, and I like to do mine behind a facade of an online username. I'm sorry pal! Shake on it?

I just have bad expereince with puking. An ex-lover (don't ask) vomitted all over me before.

Not a problem...I have no intention of arguing with a 14 year old..

Get to know people before you make broad generalizations.

As for my sex, I'm male, and very alpha at that. LOL. I post using my real name, because I'm a real person, and I've been to a good few countries, maybe not yours, but maybe so/or soon. I work at a computer and type 70 wpm with ease so lighting into you about your statement takes milliseconds.

A piece of advice:

I hate blacks
I hate chinese
I hate whites
I hate women
I hate handicapped people
I hate kids

All unnacceptable statements as far as Im concerned on this forum. I'm not a mod, but if those type of statements aren't moderated, expect someone like me who believes in standing up for the little guy to pipe up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom