The Elipse and non-GAs, is it possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobatic

War Child
I have 2 GAs (JFan tix) for the Tampa show and 1 Ticket in Sect 114. Since I've seen the shows up close and personal many times before, I gave my GAs to my wife and her brother who have never had prime positions (Elipse, Heart, front 4 row seating) at a U2 show. I'm still faithful I may find a GA before next Wednesday but if I don't and my wife gets scanned in, would she be able to get me a wristband with my Sect 114 Ticket????

To put it another way. . .can a GA who gets scanned in bring in whoever they want, regardless of the other person's ticket?

You only will be allowed to enter to the floor if you have the floor wristband, and to the ellipse if you have the ellipse wristband. So if you have both, it wont matter what ticket you have. Obviously that would be cheating....

I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating. The U2 Ellipse rules states that a person who gets scanned into the Ellipse can bring a companion. That does not specifically state that the companion has a GA. It probably could be assumed but you know how that goes.

So being that my wife is my companion and I gave her a GA and she gets scanned in, hypothetically according the the U2.com rules, I could interpret it as I could get in as her "companion".

I posed the original question to see if anyone has had the experience of bringing in a companion who doesn't have a GA ticket. I don't believe this scenio has been posed and if so, I could not find it.

Thanks,

Chris.

You have to scan your GA ticket before you even have the option of trying to scan for the ellipse, so no, there's no way it would work.

Many of the VIP's have seats, and get wristbands to go into the ellipse, so it's possible, but unlikely.

Chrisedge said:
Many of the VIP's have seats, and get wristbands to go into the ellipse, so it's possible, but unlikely.

But they also have VIP passes and different access than the average joe who has to enter the floor through the regular GA gates, where the first thing you must do is present a GA ticket and have the bar code scanned.

I really don't see how it would be possible. If you try to go in w/ your wife, you'd be thrown out at the door b/c you wouldn't have GA. If she did get scanned in, she couldn't bring you a wristband b/c you have to get them on the spot. For example, when I didn't get scanned in in Detroit, but found someone at the back with wristbands, I asked her for two. She put one on me and instead of giving me the other for my friend, I had to take her back to my friend so she could have it put on. I've never seen anyone just hand over a wristband. Not to mention you still need to show a floor wristband and GA ticket to get on the floor and a few other times before getting into the ellipse.

You can't get on the floor, period, without a GA ticket (unless of course you have some kind of VIP pass). Also most places have a GA only entrance so you won't even be able, in most cases, to accompany your wife inside the GA entrance to the scanning table. Whether you try something tricky after y'all are in the arena is up to you, although it is quite hard most places to get from the seats to the floor.

You can get onto the floor with the proper wristbands regardless of what ticket you have.

The key is getting the proper wristbands.

ramblin rose said:
You can get onto the floor with the proper wristbands regardless of what ticket you have.

The key is getting the proper wristbands.

I think it depends on the arena. In most placed I've been, I've had to show my GA ticket to first get in the door to get a floor wristband, then show the ticket and the wristband to get on the floor, and then if I had an ellipse band, show both bands AND the GA ticket again to get in the ellipse (sometimes at two different points). Also, in many arenas you only have access to the section your ticket is for, so w/ a GA ticket, you can get near any seats and with a seated ticket, you can't get near the floor.

Chrisedge said:

:ohmy:

i do believe the person you give your wristbands to after recieving them at the GA ticket scanning desk has to be present... correct me if i'm wrong.

but yes... if you're wearing the two proper wristbands, you should have no problem accessing the floor with whatever ticket you may have... at least that's how it worked at The Garden :shifty:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think it depends on the arena. In most placed I've been, I've had to show my GA ticket to first get in the door to get a floor wristband, then show the ticket and the wristband to get on the floor, and then if I had an ellipse band, show both bands AND the GA ticket again to get in the ellipse (sometimes at two different points). Also, in many arenas you only have access to the section your ticket is for, so w/ a GA ticket, you can get near any seats and with a seated ticket, you can't get near the floor.

You're probably right, it depends on the arena. At every arena I've been to no one ever looked at your ticket again to access the floor.

My theory is this. I do not have a GA but stand alongside my wife as she's going in. She gets in and gets scanned, gets a spot in the Ellipse and gets to bring a companion. (In the meantime, I'm waiting outside the door, outside the arena). She says, I'd like to bring my husband (who happens to be right outside the door). It can't hurt to ask, right?

I just saw Bruce (Springsteen) last weekend at the St. Pete Times Forum and they had everyone with floor seats enter at one door. They basically checked the tickets right outside the door and didn't do anything else until we walked onto the floor toward our seats. However, the layout was definitely friendly to my theory. If anything, they would probably just have a table right inside the door as there's plenty of room to stage this.

It doesn't hurt to hope. In the meantime, I'll just pray for a GA ticket drop to join the party or end up enjoying the show, just as much, from the other side of the arena.

I was referring to VIP guests. Not folks with the special passes. I have a freind who works with the band. They have hooked several folks up with SEATS, and then had wristbands waiting for them at willcall. So, with SEATS (that go unused, or used for only a little while), they can go to the floor, and get in the ellipse, with ONLY the wristbands. No special VIP laminate, or sticker, just the bands.

Chrisedge said:
I was referring to VIP guests. Not folks with the special passes. I have a freind who works with the band. They have hooked several folks up with SEATS, and then had wristbands waiting for them at willcall. So, with SEATS (that go unused, or used for only a little while), they can go to the floor, and get in the ellipse, with ONLY the wristbands. No special VIP laminate, or sticker, just the bands.

i've, uh, heard this to be true... yea... that's right... heard :shifty:

I wasn't in the ellipse at the 2nd Detroit show, but holy crap were they sticklers for making sure you had a wristband to get on the floor. I was walking in, and my sleeve had slid back down over my wristband, and the lady started yelling, "SHOW ME YOUR WRIST! SHOW ME YOUR WRIST!" It made me get panicky for a second...I thought she was gonna jump me if I didn't hurry up and hike my sleeve up.

Chrisedge said:

Right, but they got the wristbands in the first place b/c they're VIP quests. A lot of places don't check for a GA ticket after you're on the floor, just check wristbands, but since the original poster did not indicate he is a VIP guest and has no GA ticket to get the original floor wristband, I don't think he stands a chance.

Tampa is a smaller market, so I think you'll be able to come up with a GA single.

I saw U2 in Tampa for Elevation and was able to get a GA ticket outside. I arrived around 3pm on that day and they had already released the GA tickets before then, but I was able to buy a single GA for face from someone outside before the show.

This sounds strange but I actually have a friend who got scanned into the elipse when his ticket was for a seat, not floor. It happened at the San Diego 1 show, when the whole process was new.

At this show, there was a separate table where you would have your floor ticket scanned for the elipse, but since then, you stay at the same table to get your floor wristband and get scanned for elipse. He did not go in with the floor line, but once he was inside the arena, he walked over to the table where they were scanning for elipse and his seated ticket came up a winner.

I was in the elipse for this show and was surprised when I ran into him inside, as I knew he and his friend did not have floor tickets.

By the second night in San Diego, they already made changes where it was not possible to approach the elipse scanning table from inside the arena, only from the entrance gate for floor ticket holders.

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm a VIP, so let's see what they think at the door.:wink:

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try for that single GA to be with the rest of my party and if that does not work out, I'll simply have my party ask if they can take me along for the ride. It never hurts to ask. Sometimes it all comes down to the disposition of the person with the decisions. Treat them with courtesy and respect and they may give you the world.

Acrobatic said:
I'll try for that single GA to be with the rest of my party and if that does not work out, I'll simply have my party ask if they can take me along for the ride. It never hurts to ask.

It's true! For Det. I I simply asked for wristbands and got them and for Det. II I asked to take three other people in with me (instead of 1 or 2 if they're nice) and got that too :D

Back
Top Bottom