The Change In 'One' Live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Ok...tell me I am not crazy here.

I am focusing mainly on the line 'you ask me to enter but then you make me crawl and I can't be holding on to what you got..'

Has anyone noticed that, on the studio version and on the ZooTV versions as well as some versions here and there in 95-ish, when Bono sings 'be holding on', he sings like

I can't be ho old ing on

and it's a tighter vocal, while in practically every performance from Popmart to the present, he sings it more like

I can't be hoooooooooolding on

and it's a more soaring vocal. On the second version, the melody is actually altered a bit from it originally was(it is sung higher), the words 'holding on' are sung very different in 97-05 then they were 91-95. In the earlier versions, the beat/rhythm was more defined, I think.

Ok, I'm not doing a great job of explaining this.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

KUEFC09U2 said:
some people have far too much time on their hands

What a constructive answer! Stop being so damn negative about people's posts! :wink:

This person is trying to reach other people who might have had some thoughts on this subject like him/her, and actually I think he/she is right.

Yes I have noticed that change and KUEFC09U2, seriously, your "Defender of Everything that is Good and Holy with U2" act was old weeks ago...

I fail to see where the slag is in this particular comment....

Miroslava said:
Yes I have noticed that change and KUEFC09U2, seriously, your "Defender of Everything that is Good and Holy with U2" act was old weeks ago...

I fail to see where the slag is in this particular comment....
sorry as a forum admin dont you think its abit one sided that, when theres post after post of the same stuff going on, nothing gets said, but as soon as someone pops up to defend it we always get the "well people are just having there opinion" line

all abit one sided if you ask me

oh and i never said there was a "slag", just pointed out that there could be better things to do rather than focus on a minor thing like the way bono sings a line

KUEFC09U2 said:

oh and i never said there was a "slag", just pointed out that there could be better things to do rather than focus on a minor thing like the way bono sings a line

But that's just not up to you to decide.

I'm not an admin, I'm a mod... :wink:

Believe it or not, I am more on your side of things than not opinion wise. I just dont happen to be interested in going around in circles trying to change people's opinions to match mine. What I have tried to convey time and time again to you is that jumping down people's throats E-V-E-R-Y-T-I-M-E they say something negative (or that you consider negative) about U2 is more that tiresome. Yes, you complain about the same people saying the same negative things all the time, but you go right ahead and do the same thing on the other side of the spectrum.

Enjoy U2 for what they mean to YOU and do not let other people's negative opinions affect you. I certainly dont.

namkcuR said:
Ok...tell me I am not crazy here.

I am focusing mainly on the line 'you ask me to enter but then you make me crawl and I can't be holding on to what you got..'

Has anyone noticed that, on the studio version and on the ZooTV versions as well as some versions here and there in 95-ish, when Bono sings 'be holding on', he sings like

I can't be ho old ing on

and it's a tighter vocal, while in practically every performance from Popmart to the present, he sings it more like

I can't be hoooooooooolding on

and it's a more soaring vocal. On the second version, the melody is actually altered a bit from it originally was(it is sung higher), the words 'holding on' are sung very different in 97-05 then they were 91-95. In the earlier versions, the beat/rhythm was more defined, I think.

Ok, I'm not doing a great job of explaining this.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I honestly don't think this is meant as a negative comment at all, but more an analysis of a change in the way Bono sings that particular line. :huh:

I'll have to listen to an older and a newer version again to see if I hear the same thing, but I suspect you're right, namkcuR. The way I'm hearing it in my head right now is "I can't be hoooooooolding on" but then the Live8 version is the one I listened to most recently, so...... :wink:

I'm still working on the change from 'lepers in your head' to 'lepers in your bed', lol!

Anybody willing to share the history of that with an ignorant head-scratcher?!

cheers!

I don't know the history of it, but I like it much better when he sings "to the lepers in your head/bed" instead of "I did." It was amusing the first 25,462 times. Now? Not so much.

As for the "Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolding on" thing, I think I know what the original poster is talking about and I like the newer "hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolding on" thing.

:wink:

corianderstem said:
I don't know the history of it, but I like it much better when he sings "to the lepers in your head/bed" instead of "I did." It was amusing the first 25,462 times. Now? Not so much.

Yeah I prefer the lepers part rather than the "I did" part he had going for a while. It makes the two lines for a poetic as a whole.

By the way, the change from HEAD to BED for me is more of a subtle reference to STDs/the underlying aids theme in the song.

KUEFC09U2 said:
some people have far too much time on their hands

Is there anything more sad than the person who has so much time on their hands they feel qualified to comment on how much time others have on THEIR hands ?

(Eagerly awaits predictable answer of maybe the person who comments on the person who comments on the person commenting on the first guy......)

Miroslava said:
I'm not an admin, I'm a mod... :wink:

Believe it or not, I am more on your side of things than not opinion wise. I just dont happen to be interested in going around in circles trying to change people's opinions to match mine. What I have tried to convey time and time again to you is that jumping down people's throats E-V-E-R-Y-T-I-M-E they say something negative (or that you consider negative) about U2 is more that tiresome. Yes, you complain about the same people saying the same negative things all the time, but you go right ahead and do the same thing on the other side of the spectrum.

Enjoy U2 for what they mean to YOU and do not let other people's negative opinions affect you. I certainly dont.

This might be the best post I've ever read in here......Miroslava......:heart: :love:

I like the way Bono changes the phrasing of "to what you got" in the live versions, it sounds so much better than the studio.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Yeah I prefer the lepers part rather than the "I did" part he had going for a while. It makes the two lines for a poetic as a whole.

By the way, the change from HEAD to BED for me is more of a subtle reference to STDs/the underlying aids theme in the song.

I dunno, I've always liked "I did." That song will forever be connected to a girl I knew...we'd just been in that awkward phase where you don't really know if you were serious about breaking up or what.... and I was driving home from her house and that song came on in the car and it summed up everything I ever wanted to say to anyone about the situation...never before has a song so completely "got it" for me.

Sorry for the random digression, but here we are. The little bits that make the songs different live than on the record are the blood in a performance, to me anyway. The Shine Like Stars verse, "Do you hear me coming lord....", "I did", the falcetto at the end of ZOOTV Mysterious Ways, etc.

tommycharles said:

The little bits that make the songs different live than on the record are the blood in a performance, to me anyway. The Shine Like Stars verse, "Do you hear me coming lord....", "I did", the falcetto at the end of ZOOTV Mysterious Ways, etc.

I totally agree. I also like the smooth transitions especially the one from please to where the streets have no name. You don't find those on the cd's and it makes the songs part of each other...If you know what I mean.

For the people with to much time on there hands (like me) can anybody find out what bono is saying at the end of SYCMIOYO at Amsterdam 7-16-2005?

I can't...:sad:

U2Man said:

This might be the best post I've ever read in here......Miroslava......:heart: :love:

Miroslava the most wonderful girl in the world(except for ms zwervers of course :wink: )

sung in a memphisto martini song kind of way...:wink:

cardosino said:

Is there anything more sad than the person who has so much time on their hands they feel qualified to comment on how much time others have on THEIR hands ?

(Eagerly awaits predictable answer of maybe the person who comments on the person who comments on the person commenting on the first guy......)

You spin me right round baby right round
like a record baby right round, round round...
:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom