the best Vertigo shows? (leg 1,2,3 + 4)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
so, this is for all the bootleg-collectors out there,

which Vertigo shows are considered the strongest/best performances, leg 1, 2, 3 and 4?

my favourites so far is:

Leg 1: Glendale 15 april

Leg 2: Gothenburg 29 July (though the weakest leg set-list-wise)

Leg 3: Philadelphia 17 October (the first New York-nights on a close 2.nd place!)

Leg 4: Santiago (the last show in Rio felt like the morning after when watching the DVDs. Santiago was like Saturday night in comparison to Rio De Janeiro.)

so, what's your favourites then?? :)

Chicago 9-20 does it for me....great show, and "Discotheque" :drool:

almost every South American show was great. I loved the Sao Paulo DVD

Recently I listened to some European gig but I don't know which one was :( great show indeed.

I'm with you aski, I've listened to ALL Latin American gigs and I have to say:

Mexico gigs were the most bored and unispired, specially for the asleep crowd, damn it!. What happened with my Mexican friends? :ohmy: and what's the point with "Cielito Lindo"?

Brazilian shows were better, both from the band and audience. It's a pity the first Brazilian show was somewhat dimished by a crappy setlist with lack of rockers. Axver must comment the Love Rescue Me snippet at the end of the second show...

Chilean show was the top of the game :drool: the band (specially Bono, who performed his arguably best show of the Latin American Tour) reached the peak of their powers, helped by an outstading crowd who sang every single song. I still remember Bono and Adam faces surprised at the crowd reaction. Bono said WOW! several times :shocked:

Argentinian shows were dull, unispired, mechanical and artifical. They were aware of filming, that's clear :| Bono wasn't at his best, he cracked several times, and the crowd was really bad, if you compare it with Pop Mart shows or the wild reaction with every Rolling Stones show :combust: No champagne, no goodbye and no Love Is Blindness at the second show say it all

Conclusion? Best shows were at Chile and Brazil

:wave:

I love reading what peoples opinions of what the best show was and then looking at their location. :lol:

Nobody can say for sure what the best Vertigo show was unless they attended every concert, Adam said his favourite was the second Paris show, but Willie said his favourite concert was the Milan shows.

Out of the shows I HAVE SEEN, on both the 3rd leg and the 2nd leg my vote would go to Croke 2, but thats just my opinion

You're spot on with Philly 10-17. I was there and it was breathtaking! Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.

ponkine said:

Chilean show was the top of the game :drool: the band (specially Bono, who performed his arguably best show of the Latin American Tour) reached the peak of their powers, helped by an outstading crowd who sang every single song. I still remember Bono and Adam faces surprised at the crowd reaction.

that's true... and Edge was more on fire that he was on Argentina

Bono said WOW! several times :shocked:

yeah... like THAT's new... :lol:

Argentinian shows were dull, unispired, mechanical and artifical. They were aware of filming, that's clear :| Bono wasn't at his best, he cracked several times, and the crowd was really bad, if you compare it with Pop Mart shows or the wild reaction with every Rolling Stones show :combust: No champagne, no goodbye and no Love Is Blindness at the second show say it all

excuse me.. give me a FUCKING break... or just half of it, because yes, Argentina 2 was kinda lame... but they knew they were going live to the country... that always makes them play crappy (except Zoo TV)

but.. show 1... UNBELIEVABLE... oncredible... ahm yes... LOVE IS BLINDNESS... maybe not at the second show, but not because of that it was crap, it was just better the first show...

FAST CARS... LOVE IS BLINDNESS... Adam on FIRE...

Conclusion? Best shows were at Chile and Brazil

Chile and Argentina 1

(look where ponkine and me are from)

now.. best show?

Twickenham is amazing...
so Chicago 4 in the 1st Leg
and the BEST opening night for them EVER

but... if they play the cards ok, Hawaii could be the best ever.. with PJ, being the last show, rehearsal time and all... let's go ELECTRICAL STORM (with fireworks) FINALE :hyper:

Last edited:
Boston December 4th, triple encore. Awesome set list covering everything but the Zooropa/Pop era as was the deal on this tour.

aski said:
so, this is for all the bootleg-collectors out there,

Leg 4: Santiago (the last show in Rio felt like the morning after when watching the DVDs. Santiago was like Saturday night in comparison to Rio De Janeiro.)

so, what's your favourites then?? :)

Dude , before u go on bashin the brazilians shows or whatever u tried to say , just get informed 1st , U2 didn't play on Rio de Janeiro :| :eyebrow:

Leg 1:
Difficult, I don't think the first leg was a great leg but the first shows were all great, I really enjoy the San Diego and Los Angeles shows.

Leg 2:
I attended 2 shows this leg and they were great but for the shows overall I listened the Copenhagen and Milan shows really stand out.

Leg 3:
Chicago show with Discotheque was really great, really kick-ass show. And the last shows of the 3rd leg were also great with all the Christmas snippetry and funny things and people on stage.

Leg 4:
Well I haven't listened to many bootlegs from this show, we all know the Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires broadcasts and overall I think the 2nd BA show is really the best. Although Bono's voice isn't as strong as during the 2nd or 3rd leg the crowd and rest of the band were really great.

1st Leg - Chicago
2nd Leg - Cardiff (Because I was there!)/Gothenburg
3rd Leg - Chicago/Buffalo(I was there again)
4th Leg - Buenos Aires (1st night). Purely based on Love is blindness :drool:

Although to be honest its hard to pick, because IMO this tour has been faultless.

Lancemc said:
You're spot on with Philly 10-17. I was there and it was breathtaking! Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.

This is so true. An Aside from Bruce there was the best energy Ive seen from the 8 shows I went to and on top of that Bono voice was maybe the best Ive heard it.

Unless you were there its hard to judge how the show was since judging it depends on the quality of the recording.

So that leaves only sound quality and setlists to judge a show for most of us. Since I abhor boring setlists I prefer the less standard shows.

Leg 1: Chicago 4, Boston 2
Leg 2: Dublin 3, Amsterdam 3
Leg 3: Until I hear Toronto 4 I go with Chicago 9-20 (Discotheque & Bad :rockon:), Honorable mentionings for NY and Boston shows
Leg 4: Anything south of Mexico.

Leg 1: the famously underrated Seattle II show. On par with Leeds 1997, concerning rock and roll, kickass playing. Chicago IV as well is fantastic. This is actually by far my favorite leg of the tour. The band wasn't playing at their best, but at least the setlists were far more interesting.

Leg 2: Amsterdam I (amazing versions of Bullet the Blue Sky and Running To Stand Still), Amsterdam III, Nice

Leg 3: Chicago V (I think we can all agree on this one - best version of The Electric Co., amazing Discotheque, hilarious Walk On and a great The Fly with Daddy's Gonna Pay snippet), New York IV (very rare setlist, with The First Time, Stuck in a Moment, Out of Control and Crumbs From Your Table as the highlights), Boston 2005-12-04 - amazing show with an extra encore and the best version of One since Modena 1995.

Leg 4: Don't know yet, but Buenos Aires I is the most impressive

Montreal I was amazing because of the crowd and the atmosphere all night.

Bono said it best as his line was swallowed up by the crowd going into Vertigo...

Vive les montréalais! Vive les Habs! Vive U2 à Montréal!

I also attended Philly II, which was okay.

Bono forgot the words to Walk On when I was at 9-20 :| ..He even had to go down the stage so he can get the paper that has the lyrics to the song...:huh:

And during Vertigo, when the song slows down and he says "give me all i want and no one gets hurt"..then he screamed "jag off!", then the song gets fast again.

11-14 Miami... UTEOTW...Walk On...lots of hurricane inspiration and the greatest line...

"i can understand why they call this the American Airlines Arena...it sounds like a F**king 747 in here"

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom