Thanks to U2 for keeping the ticket prices down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guinnessdog

Babyface
I'm not going to comment on the whole presale controversy because I didn't take part. But I know this...U2 tickets are still the best deal in the business. It's hard to equate how much I would have paid for two tickets to get in the building to see the greatest band of my lifetime. I know that I did pay $49.50 for third deck behind the stage in Chicago, and I'm thrilled I got tickets at all. Lets face it, if U2 wanted to set all new standards on this tour and make the cheap seats $200 and up they would have sold out every venue on the tour. I've paid $200 for a great dinner, much less a once in a lifetime like being next to my wife while U2 plays One or Original of the Species in the same building as I am. I love the Yankees, I won't even tell you how much I would pay for Yankees Game 7 tickets. And that's more common than a U2 concert. Many of us that grew up with the band are older now and have a little bit of extra spending money, so we would have paid whatever they asked. So after getting a little annoyed about reading all of the U2 bashing going down, I just want to say this. If they really didn't give a rat's ass about the fans, you wouldn't be alble to get GA or other seats for 50 bucks. That's is still the best deal around. You can't get into most NFL stadiums for that.

drumkeeran said:
Ain't it wonderful how a free market society works.

If you've got the cash to spend on something you really want, you will spend it!

Capitalism doesn't work when consumers aren't smart. What can you say.

Firstly I'm not sure about your equation of going to see a band with going to see a major sports event.

But moreover the tickets in Europe have *doubled* in price. I bought 2 GAs for Boston - the price came to £70 (British pounds). I bought 1 GA for London - the price came to £66 (British pounds). So in effect 1 GA in Europe costs $100. How would you guys feel about paying $100?

I don't know if U2 simply think they wouldn't get away with charging that much in the US or what. I'm pretty outraged by the UK/Europe ticket prices.

MalahideChick said:
Firstly I'm not sure about your equation of going to see a band with going to see a major sports event.

But moreover the tickets in Europe have *doubled* in price. I bought 2 GAs for Boston - the price came to £70 (British pounds). I bought 1 GA for London - the price came to £66 (British pounds). So in effect 1 GA in Europe costs $100. How would you guys feel about paying $100?

I don't know if U2 simply think they wouldn't get away with charging that much in the US or what. I'm pretty outraged by the UK/Europe ticket prices.

I think that the equation between a concert and a sports event is pretty straightforward. It's a tough ticket to an event you are interested in. And U2 haven't toured in four years. I hardly think that $100 for a GA ticket is out of line. And the rapid sell outs back that up. I'm sure you've seen them live before. Tell me that it's not worth $100. It's easily worth double or triple that price. To me at least. And based on ticket sale, alot of other people. I just don't get all the griping about prices.

Personally, I think prices for both concerts and sporting events are way too high. The fact is concert ticket prices have been going up 10-20% a year for years now. The prices for sporting events only inflates the greed that MLB and NFL players already have. But, people pay the money. As long as people keep paying $150-$300 a ticket to go to a concert and god knows how much to see an NFL playoff game the prices will keep going up.

But some of the smaller acts are losing out. If I'm gonna pay $90 to go to a concert - I'm gonna go see U2, not Norah Jones.

But you're right about GA tickets. $49.50 to see U2 on the floor is an absolute steal (if you can actually land tix at that price!).

Last edited:
free market = consumer choice.

capitalism = state intervention that limits choice.

There is a difference.

MalahideChick said:

I agree. If it was fair all around then the I wouldn't be bothered about the price. It just sucked how the UK prices were so high compared to elsewhere. But I mean they could charge even more in the UK (some artists have), so I'm glad they didn't go overboard. But they still should have made things a bit fairer.

Still when them tickets went on sale I couldn't give a dam how much they were. I was just relieved in getting some at the end of the day.

guinnessdog said:
It's hard to equate how much I would have paid for two tickets to get in the building to see the greatest band of my lifetime.

well, you're certainly a richer fan than me.

I understand why the GA tickets were cheap, U2 want their fans close for the experience however the scalpers took advantage of the situation.

About half of the seats are $200, the rest are $100, and only the upper deck, back-of-stage seats are $50. The small GA section is $50.

This is on par with other major corporate acts such as Madonna and the Elton John/Billy Joel concerts.

This is not gouging or excessive pricing, but it is not, by a long shot "low" pricing either.

It amazes me that seats in the upper deck, farwaway corner from the stage, 10 rows up, would go for $100 each. It would be great if somebody had a color-coded seating plan at one of these venues with pricing levels clearly denoted. Then we could see if the ticket prices are low, average, or, if a large percentage are going for $200, very high.

I don't think it's right to either compliment or condemn U2 Inc. for ticket prices until you see the ticket break down.

U2's top price isn't $200, but $165. While still steep, that is $35 (or 20%) less than what you claim.

I still think $165 is alot to see any band, but U2 is still below what some of these other artists are charging. The Stones and Madonna were in the $250-$300 per ticket (face value). If I wanted to take a buddy to see the Stones it would cost me nearly $700 after service charges :huh: . Pay the rent, payment for the car, go to Disney World, NAH!!! Lets go see the Stones for nearly $1000 and hear Start Me Up for the 1,000,000 time this decade. What really baffles me is that Popmart was $35 or $50 for the biggest concert ever.

I meant with all fees, the second-cheapest tickets came out to $217.50 for two, so you could consider those to be $108.25 each. The high-tier costs are around $200/ticket.

I agree that the prices aren't that outrageous. For true fans that know how to get a hold of GA's we only have to pay 50 bucks a pop. If you care enough about the band and try hard enough they are very attainable. Even so, you can still pay 50 for the nosebleeds or only a hundred for decent seats. It could be so much worse.

Back
Top Bottom