Sydney II Setlist & Watch Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the setlist and all the details. This sounded really good! Great setlist, and I would so love to here ISHFWILF with the While snippet! Seems the boys are getting better every day!

last unicorn said:
Thank you for the setlist and all the details. This sounded really good! Great setlist, and I would so love to here ISHFWILF with the While snippet! Seems the boys are getting better every day!
Is this the first time IALW has been snippeted on the back of ISHFWILF?

Also it was impromptu which was great to see. From my spot in the fenced off area (very close to the stage) I could clearly see Bono 'arrange' it with the other guys at the end of ISHFWILF. It was special for me to see that since U2 don't always so this sort of thing, make it up as they go that is, and both this and swapping Desire for Angel Of Harlem were both spur of the moment things.

Hey guys, just got back. WOW!! I thought last night was good but tonight's show was even better. ISHFWILF!!! FULL-BAND DESIRE!!! Man, the band were on fire (to coin a phrase) tonight.

Is it just me, or did I hear a few seconds of the usual opening rhythm track for "Mysterious Ways" just after "The Fly"? It suddenly cut-off and I heard Bono say something like "let's try something different" and they launched into Desire..anyone else catch this?

Anyway I'm exhuasted and off to bed, it's been a crazy cpl of days!!

Hi folks, great show, quite a bit better than in Brisbane. Desire was a bit of a surprise - ramshackle but very fun.

I just put the setlist up on U2VT. Not sure if you guys have it. I checked the last couple of pages and the set I saw seemed lacking on snippets. Forgive me if this is a bit of a repeat - I want to head to bed so I haven't read much of this thread.

Source page (has a few extra statistical comments from me): http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article325.html

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
Elevation / Spinning Around (snippet)
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Surriento (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One / My Sweet Lord (snippet)

Encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
With Or Without You / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
The Saints Are Coming
Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet) / Gold Digger (snippet)
Kite

Hawkmoon26969 said:
Is it just me, or did I hear a few seconds of the usual opening rhythm track for "Mysterious Ways" just after "The Fly"? It suddenly cut-off and I heard Bono say something like "let's try something different" and they launched into Desire..anyone else catch this?
Hmmm... With Or Without You was after The Fly. The "let's try something different thing" did lead to Desire but it was Angel Of Harlem that was meant to be played instead. The other two shows had Angel Of Harlem at this point. I can't think where I heard Mysterious Ways start like you say. I could be wrong of course and I'd love to hear Mysterious Ways!

AndrewCowley said:

Is this the first time IALW has been snippeted on the back of ISHFWILF?

No, it was quite common on the third leg.

Hawkmoon26969 said:

Definitely just you, as Desire followed Saints, not The Fly! I didn't hear the opening rythym of MW after The Fly, but I could have sworn I heard something that reminded me of Walk On before they decided to do Desire. Maybe I was just hearing things.

Axver said:

No, it was quite common on the third leg.

Definitely just you, as Desire followed Saints, not The Fly! I didn't hear the opening rythym of MW after The Fly, but I could have sworn I heard something that reminded me of Walk On before they decided to do Desire. Maybe I was just hearing things.

Sorry, my bad...I meant after Saints.

Axver said:

I reckon the setlist was meant to as per the other two shows... The Saints Are Coming and Angel Of Harlem and they did Desire instead of Angel Of Harlem. I say this because I was near enough to see what Dallas was doing and after The Saints Are Coming (which Edge uses his Explorer for) Dallas never came out to give Edge another guitar (Walk On would need a change) and instead Edge kept his Explorer (as if would be the case if they were to play Angel Of Harlem) but instead it became Desire.

Axver said:
Hi folks, great show, quite a bit better than in Brisbane. Desire was a bit of a surprise - ramshackle but very fun.

I just put the setlist up on U2VT. Not sure if you guys have it. I checked the last couple of pages and the set I saw seemed lacking on snippets. Forgive me if this is a bit of a repeat - I want to head to bed so I haven't read much of this thread.

Source page (has a few extra statistical comments from me): http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article325.html

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
Elevation / Spinning Around (snippet)
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Surriento (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One / My Sweet Lord (snippet)

Encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
With Or Without You / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
The Saints Are Coming
Desire / Not Fade Away (snippet) / Gold Digger (snippet)
Kite

Gold Digger as in Kanye West's Gold Digger? :lol:

AndrewCowley said:

I reckon the setlist was meant to as per the other two shows... The Saints Are Coming and Angel Of Harlem and they did Desire instead of Angel Of Harlem. I say this because I was near enough to see what Dallas was doing and after The Saints Are Coming (which Edge uses his Explorer for) Dallas never came out to give Edge another guitar (Walk On would need a change) and instead Edge kept his Explorer (as if would be the case if they were to play Angel Of Harlem) but instead it became Desire.

I agree, but I definitely heard a few seconds of some kind of sequencer track - I'm assuming it was just accidentally triggered.

Hawkmoon26969 said:

I agree, but I definitely heard a few seconds of some kind of sequencer track - I'm assuming it was just accidentally triggered.
I didn't hear any sequencer myself at that point in the show. I was probably going too nuts. I really loved tonight, almost cried a few times (and not ashamed to admit it). I love these guys.

But two of you now say you heard something so I wonder was there another song planned?

BTW... Dallas spend AGES before the show stuffing about down near all of Edges pedals. I reckon there was some sort of problem. In the end his walking around with various guitars was very rushed (he was running) and I reckon this is because of the earlier problem. Did anyone observe this?

AndrewCowley said:

I didn't hear any sequencer myself at that point in the show. I was probably going too nuts. I really loved tonight, almost cried a few times (and not ashamed to admit it). I love these guys.

But two of you now say you heard something so I wonder was there another song planned?

BTW... Dallas spend AGES before the show stuffing about down near all of Edges pedals. I reckon there was some sort of problem. In the end his walking around with various guitars was very rushed (he was running) and I reckon this is because of the earlier problem. Did anyone observe this?

Yes, it was just a couple of seconds of a shaker-like rhythm. Exactly like MW (think ZooTV - but without the deep bass).

Re: Edge's guitar - it's hard to tell if there were any problems - Dallas spent just as much time stuffing around on Friday. However you're right, he didn't do nearly as much walking around as usual. Hmmm.. *ponders*

Ok, bed!!

Hawkmoon26969 said:

Yes, it was just a couple of seconds of a shaker-like rhythm. Exactly like MW (think ZooTV - but without the deep bass).

Ok, bed!!

Bed... for those that don't know... it's 2:30am here in Sydney and I just want to write posts about the show. No time for bed! Plus I'm bloody hungry. I joined the GA line at 10:30am and I haven't eaten much.

Hey with MW after the Brisbane show someone posted here saying MW was on the setlist but not played. There was never any discussion on this so I don't know if its true or not. But maybe it was the same tonight?

AndrewCowley said:

Bed... for those that don't know... it's 2:30am here in Sydney and I just want to write posts about the show. No time for bed! Plus I'm bloody hungry. I joined the GA line at 10:30am and I haven't eaten much.

Hey with MW after the Brisbane show someone posted here saying MW was on the setlist but not played. There was never any discussion on this so I don't know if its true or not. But maybe it was the same tonight?

It's certainly possible, though it seems strange they would have put it in the second encore...between Fly and WOWY is a more logical spot.

Anyway, I was very excited in those couple of seconds! But hey, we got full-band desire - im not complainin!

DESIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Full band Desire. All I can say about that is its about f***in time! That is the only way the song should be done anyway. I didnt read through the whole setlist thread but was Desire like Lovetown or like Zoo TV?

Blue Room said:
Full band Desire. All I can say about that is its about f***in time! That is the only way the song should be done anyway. I didnt read through the whole setlist thread but was Desire like Lovetown or like Zoo TV?

Band came in half way through. Seemed to be a longer version - Bono didn't quite get all the verses in order. Seemed to be a few instrumental sections between verses. Bono's voice was amazing. Harmonica end. Went down well with crowd who got into it.

Last edited:
Thanks for being the source, Lila! :up:

Great to see ISHFWILF, Stuck and Desire in there! :drool:

Hopefully I'll be able to be around for a setlist party again soon. :)

I'm far more excited about Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet)

I :heart: Beautiful Day like that. I had a suspicition that Here Comes The Sun last night might lead to it.

AndrewCowley said:
Axver, whereabouts were you? GA? In the fenced area?

Yep, I was GA, in the inner zone between Edge's b-stage and the main stage. I was the one who headbanged all through The Fly and looked like a nut! :lol:

U2Girl1978 said:
Gold Digger as in Kanye West's Gold Digger? :lol:

Yep! Very short, but it was there. Just after the "for love or money" part of Desire, Bono added "she ain't no gold digger".

Axver said:

Yep, I was GA, in the inner zone between Edge's b-stage and the main stage. I was the one who headbanged all through The Fly and looked like a nut! :lol:
Jesus, I was near you then! I was next to Edge's b-stage but probably a little further back than you. I was sort of in between the two b-stages but very close to Edge's one.

AndrewCowley said:

Jesus, I was near you then! I was next to Edge's b-stage but probably a little further back than you. I was sort of in between the two b-stages but very close to Edge's one.

I was closer to Edge's b-stage too, especially initially - as the show progressed, I seemed to move a bit closer to the main stage, though not through any deliberate effort.

I might have actually seen you. I stand out - I'm an albino with a mop of light blonde/white hair that I used to full headbanging effect during The Fly! (Even lost an earplug in the process.) I was hanging around with a group of Germans who were taking photos. I was also pretty close at the start to the very short woman who was standing on a backpack to see, and by the encores, I was beside the guy who had his daughter on his shoulders.

Axver said:

I was closer to Edge's b-stage too, especially initially - as the show progressed, I seemed to move a bit closer to the main stage, though not through any deliberate effort.

I might have actually seen you. I stand out - I'm an albino with a mop of light blonde/white hair that I used to full headbanging effect during The Fly! (Even lost an earplug in the process.) I was hanging around with a group of Germans who were taking photos. I was also pretty close at the start to the very short woman who was standing on a backpack to see, and by the encores, I was beside the guy who had his daughter on his shoulders.
I'm thinking hard, but I didn't see you. I could see the guy with the daughter on his shoulders at the end, so I know exactly where you were. I was probably 10m from you. Cool.

Where else are you doing GA? I have GA for Adelaide and Melbourne 2 and I am trying right now to swap my A reserve for tomorrow's Sydney 3 for a GA. Anyone interested? I am hooked on GA now! Lining up wasn't too bad after all and it is well worth the effort.

AndrewCowley said:
Where else are you doing GA? I have GA for Adelaide and Melbourne 2 and I am trying right now to swap my A reserve for tomorrow's Sydney 3 for a GA. Anyone interested? I am hooked on GA now! Lining up wasn't too bad after all and it is well worth the effort.

I'm doing GA at Sydney III; Melbourne I and II, and Auckland I and II: I don't really enjoy the lining up part, but it's totally worth it to be that close. The spot I had last night was simply fantastic. I was surprised there was no crush. I had a lot of room to move most of the time, even with people shuffling back between the main stage and the b-stage every time a band member came down.

Back
Top Bottom