Sydney II Setlist & Watch Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I'm doing GA at Sydney III; Melbourne I and II, and Auckland I and II: I don't really enjoy the lining up part, but it's totally worth it to be that close. The spot I had last night was simply fantastic. I was surprised there was no crush. I had a lot of room to move most of the time, even with people shuffling back between the main stage and the b-stage every time a band member came down.
Cool. Don't suppose you know anyone with a 'spare' GA for Sydney 3?

AndrewCowley said:

Cool. Don't suppose you know anyone with a 'spare' GA for Sydney 3?

I'm afraid I don't, sorry. Has Sydney III finally sold out?

Axver said:

I'm afraid I don't, sorry. Has Sydney III finally sold out?
Here's what the ticketek web site says:

standing (arena) Alloc. Exhausted
a reserve Available
b reserve Available
c reserve Available
d reserve Alloc. Exhausted
c reserve no alcohol Alloc. Exhausted
visa a reserve Alloc. Exhausted
a reserve boxes Available

Strange how GA is sold out but A and B reserve aren't.

Huh, that is strange. Looks like people don't want the expensive seats.

I am amused that C Reserve No Alcohol is sold out though. Who would've thought Australians would be willing to buy tickets for a section such as that! :wink:

Axver said:
Huh, that is strange. Looks like people don't want the expensive seats.

I am amused that C Reserve No Alcohol is sold out though. Who would've thought Australians would be willing to buy tickets for a section such as that! :wink:
It will make for some odd looking 'gaps' in the crowd. Would be nice if the D reserves were given free upgrades. Geez I have to get my hands on a GA. I bought A reserve thinking the GA line up would be horrible 2 days out of 3 but I want to be in there again!

Starting to think about tomorrow's setlist. I wonder... Vertigo x2 or is Kite locked in as the closer?

AndrewCowley said:
Starting to think about tomorrow's setlist. I wonder... Vertigo x2 or is Kite locked in as the closer?

It seems that they have Moriarty travelling around with them, so they will probably want to use Kite. Then again, maybe it will find a spot in the middle od the set? I would LOVE to hear Bad close again. That is by far the best of the four songs I have heard close U2 shows. 40 is superb, Kite is beautiful, Vertigo was bland; Bad is king.

Axver said:

It seems that they have Moriarty travelling around with them, so they will probably want to use Kite. Then again, maybe it will find a spot in the middle od the set? I would LOVE to hear Bad close again. That is by far the best of the four songs I have heard close U2 shows. 40 is superb, Kite is beautiful, Vertigo was bland; Bad is king.
I've written this already... but I'm not convinced about Kite as a closer, mainly because nobody seems to recognise or know it. Even last night people around me were clueless. Given the setlist has so many hits in it (is this now the U2 18 tour?) I reckon they should find a way to have one of those as the closer. Thinking of something different (ala Kite) I'd like to see WOWY close. At least people know the song and it's a big singalong moment so the show would end on a high. Bad would be surreal though. My favourite song.

Last edited:
You say people don't know Kite...most people would have an even less chance knowing 40 or Bad. But that said, I would love to see a final encore like Bad/Kite/40 or something like that.

COBL_04 said:
You say people don't know Kite...most people would have an even less chance knowing 40 or Bad. But that said, I would love to see a final encore like Bad/Kite/40 or something like that.

People won't know BAD?! :huh: On what planet? It's one of U2's most well-known songs, most popular live tunes, and you might as well just say people won't know UTEOTW or I Will Follow or WOWY.

And 40's legendary as part of the U2 experience. At Brisbane, a huuuge chant of "how long to sing this song?" erupted at the end of the show.

Kite, in comparison, has no legendary status yet. It's just an another song from the previous album to the latest. Maybe this special new version will raise its status, though.

hey Axver - I haven't checked the other thread yet. I didn't log on til late today. An Aussie PMed me saying she would be there and maybe source somehow, but my guess is that she's at the stadium now, since I wasn't around at all today. No number or way to get a hold of her now :(

I'm desperate so I'm gonna ask again sorry... I have a very good A Reserve for tomorrow night's Sydney show. Does anybody want to swap for a GA? Contact me on acowley1@optushome.com.au or 0403339768 if interested. I'll drive out to you wherever you are in Sydney tonight to arrange the swap.

AndrewCowley said:

I've written this already... but I'm not convinced about Kite as a closer, mainly because nobody seems to recognise or know it. Even last night people around me were clueless. Given the setlist has so many hits in it (is this now the U2 18 tour?) I reckon they should find a way to have one of those as the closer. Thinking of something different (ala Kite) I'd like to see WOWY close. At least people know the song and it's a big singalong moment so the show would end on a high. Bad would be surreal though. My favourite song.

I totally agree. I love the song but it is not a crowd favourite and it never will be. The closing of the show would be much bigger if it was a classic hit.

Having said that Kite will probably be the closing song on all the Australian dates because of the didge factor. I'd be very surprised if they play it mid set and to close with something else means the didge guy gets the night off.

Maquaman said:

I totally agree. I love the song but it is not a crowd favourite and it never will be. The closing of the show would be much bigger if it was a classic hit.

Having said that Kite will probably be the closing song on all the Australian dates because of the didge factor. I'd be very surprised if they play it mid set and to close with something else means the didge guy gets the night off.
Can still have the 'didge'. Consider this as a closer... Kite (with didge) followed by WOWY. Awesome! Axver can help with this but I've got a feeling WOWY may have closed some of the Lovetown shows.

AndrewCowley said:

Is this the first time IALW has been snippeted on the back of ISHFWILF?

Also it was impromptu which was great to see. From my spot in the fenced off area (very close to the stage) I could clearly see Bono 'arrange' it with the other guys at the end of ISHFWILF. It was special for me to see that since U2 don't always so this sort of thing, make it up as they go that is, and both this and swapping Desire for Angel Of Harlem were both spur of the moment things.

I still have not has a chance to scan the set list etc that my wife got, but IALW is on it following ISHFWILF.

AndrewCowley said:

I reckon the setlist was meant to as per the other two shows... The Saints Are Coming and Angel Of Harlem and they did Desire instead of Angel Of Harlem. I say this because I was near enough to see what Dallas was doing and after The Saints Are Coming (which Edge uses his Explorer for) Dallas never came out to give Edge another guitar (Walk On would need a change) and instead Edge kept his Explorer (as if would be the case if they were to play Angel Of Harlem) but instead it became Desire.

Desire was on the setlist.

i cant post a link cause ive had less than 15 posts, but have a look at the smh website - bono on with kylie tonight. i wonder if we get kylie in return tomorrow night ? not sure what she could sing with u2 though ??? :huh:

Zoologica said:
i cant post a link cause ive had less than 15 posts, but have a look at the smh website - bono on with kylie tonight. i wonder if we get kylie in return tomorrow night ? not sure what she could sing with u2 though ??? :huh:

kyliebono_narrowweb__300x389,0.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/especially-for-you-kylie/2006/11/12/1163266414420.html

Wow, awesome. A treat for the people at that show. Surely she now has to reciprocate and come along and sing with U2 tomorrow (assuming she isn't doing a show herself). What could she sing with U2? Maybe Stuck In A Moment. She could sing along with Edge on backing vocals.

Oh that reminds me... I saw PJ play in Sydney last week and before Small Town they snippeted A Sort Of Homecoming. Eddie sang the first few verses, it lasted for approx 2 minutes. Eddie's voice is so strong. He sang it better than Bono! And he remembered the words.

Zoologica said:

Discotheque :hmm: ?

Last edited:
AndrewCowley said:

Jesus, I was near you then! I was next to Edge's b-stage but probably a little further back than you. I was sort of in between the two b-stages but very close to Edge's one.

Me too. Tania and I were inside the ellipse, on Adams side, at the bobble end of the catwalk. We were looking out for you Axver, but no luck. I did find Linda who runs the U2 Australia yahoo list, who would have been near you. And Zoomanda who runs the Lypton Village website.

And half of Perth

And Peru

etc :dance:

Axver said:

I'm doing GA at Sydney III; Melbourne I and II, and Auckland I and II: I don't really enjoy the lining up part, but it's totally worth it to be that close. The spot I had last night was simply fantastic. I was surprised there was no crush. I had a lot of room to move most of the time, even with people shuffling back between the main stage and the b-stage every time a band member came down.

Hey Axver :wave:

Sorry, we didn't see you. You need to do what three guys from Perth did, two went to the bar, one stayed at the bar for half an hour and then went to relieve the one who was holding their possie. Then the one that had been there for an hour got to come across. It was brilliant for them in that out of every hour and a half they only spent 30 mins in the sun.

Lining up for Saturday was awesome. As Shag said, we had people from Perth in front of us, behind us and it seemed like everyone we ran into in the Elipse was from Perth. :up:

The Elipse was amazing, not too crowded (I expected to be packed in like sardines). As usual the U2 fans around us where brilliant and would either move out of the way or allow us to get in front to take photos. It you are reading this, thanks, it really added to the concerts.

Back
Top Bottom