Survey:GA Ellipse policy - let u2.com know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oceane, everything in your post is based on complete assumption. I think that is what BW has pointed out about these threads period. Your perspective, my perspective, anyones perspective is just that. Doesnt mean any of us represent the vast majority out there and there is no way of knowing for sure.

Again, the band have specific reasons for doing this and appear to have achieved most if not all of those objectives with it. I havent seen or heard of the mass rioting at the shows that was indicated by alot of people would happen if there was a lottery. So I think U2 and their management have achieved what they set out to do. Some fans may not like it, but thats the way it is. Obviously some fans like and/or dont care about it anyway. MOST are happy to be in the building IMO.

Honestly people... you're being silly. YOU HAVE FLOOR TICKETS!! That alone should make you happy. Do you know how many people would love to have floor tickets? Tons! You have the best tickets in the house for less then half of what everyone else had to pay for normal seats.

Complaining about not getting inside the Ellipse is ludicris. It does not warrant petitions or surveys. I think the system is fair. Some people have to work during the day. God forbid they should actually get a chance to stand inside the Ellipse instead of some guy who's seen the show 10 times from that very same place.

Sorry Guys and Gals but i am not ganna vote. I personaly like this idea since i find that pushing and shoving of the first come first served way is sometimes very stupid. Sometimes you wait very early and you'de think you would get a spot and then everyone rushes like a wild herd of animals and they push and shove and don't give a dam so even though you waited in line early you don't get the spot you want. This way atleast you may still not get that spot but you may get it and there is no running like your life depended on it.

I know i am ganna ruffle up some feathers here but thats how i feel sorry,
Nico

dabiggestu2fan said:
Sorry Guys and Gals but i am not ganna vote. I personaly like this idea since i find that pushing and shoving of the first come first served way is sometimes very stupid. Sometimes you wait very early and you'de think you would get a spot and then everyone rushes like a wild herd of animals and they push and shove and don't give a dam so even though you waited in line early you don't get the spot you want. This way atleast you may still not get that spot but you may get it and there is no running like your life depended on it.
I have experienced this many times... I'm a big guy so I always made it in the pit anyways, but I know that you mean!

That's why the whole wristband is a good idea! This prevents the chaos! In Cologne last tour security gave the first 300 people in line (at 14:00, no chaos at all by that time) the wristbands then! That way it's clear for everyone the pit (heart, ellipse) is full already...

dabiggestu2fan said:

I know i am gonna ruffle up some feathers here but thats how i feel sorry,
Nico

This has more to do with poor venue security than the GA expirence itself. You could have the same problem with the current system, as people are still freaked out about being on the rail since the BS isn't an option.

Last edited:
raincloud said:
first come, first served

Period.

Maybe u can do a sit down protest inside the Ellipse for all your fallen brothers and sisters who were not able to get inside the damn thing for the 11th time in a row.

Some people have to work for a living and can't take the time off and camp out at 5am.

retro said:

Maybe u can do a sit down protest inside the Ellipse for all your fallen brothers and sisters who were not able to get inside the damn thing for the 11th time in a row.

Some people have to work for a living and can't take the time off and camp out at 5am.

Uh, were you dropped on your head as a child?

1. We purchased a General Admission ticket. This is defined by Ticketmaster and the venues as a first come first serve policy with no seats, and the time you show up is where you are at on the floor. This isn't my idea, this IS the definition of General Admission.

2. If U2 wanted a Lotto instead of GA, ethically they should have stated so up front before sales, as I know I wouldn't have bought lotto tickets. I would have got behind the stage tix.

3. I work full time. I run my dept. I'm here 50-80 hours a week, and occasionally over 100. I take 7-9 days off a year. I have a mortgage. Etc.
Standing in line for a day ain't that tough. Most of us don't go to 10 shows. Quit acting like only freaks end up at the front. Those people are less than 1% of the U2 concert going public. And raincloud isn't one of them, so back off.

4. If U2 didn't want people to stand in line all day, why did they sell an open GA floor? That's not logical. And the current system doesn't prevent that anyway, because now everyone is lining up for a spot on the outside BS rail.

I will enjoy the show no matter where I am in the building, but to say this policy is great and fair is hard to buy. It would only have been fair if someone bought the ticket knowing it was a lotto ticket.

Have you guys read the San Jose GA line policy?

"No Profanity" in the line, among many other rules and procedures.

tkramer said:

Uh, were you dropped on your head as a child?

I might have been, but apparently you were not only dropped but flung out the window of the hospital. (one good jab deserves another)

tkramer said:

1. We purchased a General Admission ticket. This is defined by Ticketmaster and the venues as a first come first serve policy with no seats, and the time you show up is where you are at on the floor. This isn't my idea, this IS the definition of General Admission.

That is Ticketmaster's policy, not U2's. Ticketmaster is just broker providing a service.(they are middlemen) They can say whatever they like to cover their own asses, but at the end of the day it's U2's show.

tkramer said:

2. If U2 wanted a Lotto instead of GA, ethically they should have stated so up front before sales, as I know I wouldn't have bought lotto tickets. I would have got behind the stage tix.

Ethically they are doing the right thing. (in my opinion) By giving everyone a fair shot...including those fans that have to work during the day to support their families. Furthermore,they are under no obligation to say anything, nor do they owe you anything.

tkramer said:

3. I work full time. I run my dept. I'm here 50-80 hours a week, and occasionally over 100. I take 7-9 days off a year. I have a mortgage. Etc.
Standing in line for a day ain't that tough. Most of us don't go to 10 shows. Quit acting like only freaks end up at the front. Those people are less than 1% of the U2 concert going public. And raincloud isn't one of them, so back off.

I can appreciate the fact that you work hard and have obligations like the rest of us. However, not everyone can book the entire day off. Beyond work people also have other obligations like picking up their kids from school or important doctor appointments.

tkramer said:

4. If U2 didn't want people to stand in line all day, why did they sell an open GA floor? That's not logical. And the current system doesn't prevent that anyway, because now everyone is lining up for a spot on the outside BS rail.

U2's reason for having GA was to change the atmosphere inside the arena. I highly doubt the GA tickets were created to make fans wait outside in a lineup for 12 hours. I'd like to think that was the last thing they wanted. I don't think Larry Mullen said to himself "hey wouldn't it be great if people waited outside in close to freezing weather for 12 hours in Montreal" (nov.26 is the montreal show...it's a bit chilly that time of year)
tkramer said:

I will enjoy the show no matter where I am in the building, but to say this policy is great and fair is hard to buy. It would only have been fair if someone bought the ticket knowing it was a lotto ticket.

I think it's a bit naive to assume anything when you purchase a G.A. ticket. They don't guarantee you anything...accept for the right to stand on the floor. I'm sorry you don't like the system. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

retro said:

I might have been, but apparently you were not only dropped but flung out the window of the hospital. (one good jab deserves another)

I deserved that. I was being a jerk.

That is Ticketmaster's policy, not U2's. Ticketmaster is just broker providing a service.(they are middlemen) They can say whatever they like to cover their own asses, but at the end of the day it's U2's show.
[/B]

I don't know, I don't think you can absolve responsibility here. U2 management worked out this deal with ticketmaster. They are together on this.

I think it's a bit naive to assume anything when you purchase a G.A. ticket. They don't guarantee you anything...accept for the right to stand on the floor. I'm sorry you don't like the system. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. [/B]

Actually, GA guarantees a first come first serve spot on the floor. Every venue posts this as their policy, ticketmaster has it right there in the FAQ, and more importantly, ALL the GA shows I've ever been to were first come first serve. How is that naive?

I will agree to disagree however. That I can do. :)

And to those that hate this subject: I don't see why it's such a big deal to debate this. It's a u2 board. What else are we gonna talk about? It's a legit subject, and certainly more interesting than the length of Bono's hair.

nbcrusader said:
How many people have returned their tickets because of the U2.com Ellipse "lottery" policy???

None.

Let's move on.

This post sums it all up best I think.

In addition, U2's show, U2 can do what they please. No one is forcing any of you to go and I doubt seriously ANY of you will have any trouble selling your GA ticket or even trading it for a reserved one. Somehow I dont think most of you are in the market to sell or trade up.

Blue Room said:

MOST are happy to be in the building IMO.

Well, that's certainly something we can agree on!:wink:

Seriously, I have said what I had to say about this policy and I'm going to shut up about it now and look forward to the show no matter what! (although I still think it's a stupid policy for about 1,000 reasons...)

I think I will still line-up fairly early because waiting in line with other fellow fans is fun and takes the whole show experience to another level. I will be prepared to have a decent spot outside the ellipse and who knows, I might get lucky...

oceane said:

Well, that's certainly something we can agree on!:wink:

:lol: What is even more funny is that I honestly dont really care that much either way on the policy. I can just see the other side of it and think aspects of it are a good idea from the bands perspective. If they dropped the lottery, wouldnt bother me either! :shrug: But I dont think a petition is going to cause that to happen.

Enjoy your concert(s). I know I will, regardless of where I'm at in the building! :)

tkramer said:

I deserved that. I was being a jerk.

I don't know, I don't think you can absolve responsibility here. U2 management worked out this deal with ticketmaster. They are together on this.

Actually, GA guarantees a first come first serve spot on the floor. Every venue posts this as their policy, ticketmaster has it right there in the FAQ, and more importantly, ALL the GA shows I've ever been to were first come first serve. How is that naive?

I will agree to disagree however. That I can do. :)

And to those that hate this subject: I don't see why it's such a big deal to debate this. It's a u2 board. What else are we gonna talk about? It's a legit subject, and certainly more interesting than the length of Bono's hair.

I guess the big disagreement stems from how connected U2 and Ticketmaster really are. Ticketmaster responsiblity only goes as far as selling the tickets. Once they get their service fee they could care less what goes on. Unless the event gets cancelled it's no skin off their backs. The last thing they care about is how people line up for a show. U2' policy could change tomorrow. Only people with 3 or more vowels in their last name are allowed inside the heart :) Ticketmaster won't care...and if they did they couldn't do anything about it.

I would only soften my stance to say that perhaps next time around they let U2.com members inside the heart first, then whatever space is left goes to the other folks. Seeing as the members did dish out an extra 40 bucks, it would be nice. But I don't expect it, nor will complain if it never happends.

oceane said:

Seriously, I have said what I had to say about this policy and I'm going to shut up about it now and look forward to the show no matter what! (although I still think it's a stupid policy for about 1,000 reasons...)

I've overstated my case on the statistical validitay of 'fan site polls' and am moving on too. That said, do you like the San Jose "policy" --- show up, get a wristband, come back by 5 -- I like it a lot. I'll be in Denver with GA -- I can live with showing up for my wristband and then spending the day touring LoDo.

I might get lucky...

Is this a reference to getting in the bomb shelter, or something else?

:wink:

Sorry, you lob a softball out there like that, I'm gonna swing!

Blue Room said:
Lets see:

Lottery options total 30%
First come first serve 38%
U2.com first option 24%

I dont think that is any kind of majority for any one method. Lets face it the people that are banging the drum the loudest and starting the petitions and complaining are those that want first come, first serve. Its pretty clear though that not even a signficant majority of fans prefer one way or the other.

I agree though, this isnt very scientific. But given the people it is being linked to and the level of outrage expressed here and other places you would think first come, first serve would be the landslide winner. Its just not so, so I stand by what I said originally on this thread as it appears to be the case to me. :shrug:

Check out the poll here at interference where there is only TWO options, first come, first serve, or some kind of lottery. As of right now, First Come, First Serve is in the lead with more than 60% of the vote.

Back
Top Bottom