Superfans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also everything thinks that I am black when I first meet them offline in the GA line. The picture in the signature is not me.

:hmm: I think it's a really fun idea :happydaydream emocon:

If I'm reading you rightly CMB.....really? you'd been around unethusioatic fans or sections at U2 shows? I've always been around wooo hoooing, standing up and dancing fans in NYC or NJ. COuld it be that NYC area has some of the longest running USA fans...also like Boston? I'd like to know alittle more about your experiences like that.

indra {have enjoyed your posts over the year]...I'm just curious because i guess it's a personal style or psychology thing....you never feel the urge to ...maybe not jump up & down [ i don't usually do that]...but to stand up and cheer, say, when they have done something particularly stunningat a show? Or at least when they arrive on stage?

Like I siad i usually don't jump up & down, but i definately get on my feet {esp since people in front of me do...but also I like doing it...as long as I'm not in anyone's way...esp in the faster songs where I LOVE to dance!

I don't "scream' exactly either, but when I am take by extra special moments..... I yell 'Woooooo' or some other joyful word or wordless utterence. and wave my hands , pump my fist etc.c

Now, I became a fan in mid-late 1980 :D just before they wnet on tour in the USA for the first time :D

Bu I didn't know they were about to go on tour :grumpy: . Thus even though I frequented Irving Plaza & the Mudd Club...I missed them there!!! In fact I didn't even know they had palyed the Mudd club until last year!:mad:

I had to give up a tix due to an insisted upon 'obligation' that cropped up after I got the tix :madspit: to see them in the realtively small outdoor concert space at Pier? 86 in NYC But I did se and hear Edger and Adam from a distance doing a soundcheck/rehersal of New Year's Day.

IN fact by the time I got to see them again at RAdio City Music Hall in NYC 1984 {Amnesty Benifit} we didn't have great seats and we never ever got great seats...{till I got into Brooklyn at least i was 20-15 'rows' back}.

So Iv'e seen them on every tour since 83 [except POP], but during the Mid-late 80's alot of my extra money was going to a non-R&R intense fandom. The fact that I made sure i was tracking U2 , buying their albums etc was that tbey meant that much to me to divert money from this other fandom!...which also had fan gatherings which I flew or bussed to for memorial day weekend gatherings [not cheap]

SO I consider myslef a super fan even if i don't know as much about them as some other superfans do.... I did want too read Flaigin's book, but when it caught my eye I didn't have the money. So never got around to it.... try yto find in Lib. Once I clean up a debt to them {wayover held book :uhoh:, uninetionally].

I've caught at times some of Rolling Stone's articles/interviews...I havent bought a Rock Mag on a consistant basis since {RIP} New York Rocker {a fantastic Punk/new Wave 76? -- 82? that introduced me to u2}.

ANd if I could have taken photos of U2 the way I was able to take Wonderful photos of The WHo {intact}, Springsteen &E street, Patti Smith, Televsion etc because I got good to great seats-- AND before every venue etc started to clampdown on fan photographers running around with ...esp Pro type cameras >lile mine, 2 difference screw-on telephoto lens etc< ....THEN
I'd probably have some good to gorgeous, stunning U2 photos from 84 thru 2001!

I haven't developed my brookln photos yet [need special expensive handling]. THE very first time in ALL my years as a U2 fan...they allowed cameras in, ANd I was closer enough to (hopefully) have gotten my first good photos of them.

SO I guess I'm saying their are different kinds of superfans. I def have the stubbs!

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:
12 for 12? I don't think so. I think you are probably refering to Dan? that guy with the Joshua Tree tattoos?

i think it's fair to say that tattoo dan is, infact, the uber super duper u2 fan... he's at the point where bono actually remembers him... bono's drawn pictures on his body for pete's sake, and then he goes and gets the picture tattooed on. we all dwarf in comparison to his u2 psychosis. :up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i think it's fair to say that tattoo dan is, infact, the uber super duper u2 fan... he's at the point where bono actually remembers him... bono's drawn pictures on his body for pete's sake, and then he goes and gets the picture tattooed on. we all dwarf in comparison to his u2 psychosis. :up:

Agree.

Super_Fan said:
12 for 12? I don't think so. I think you are probably refering to Dan? that guy with the Joshua Tree tattoos?

Dan didn't make it into the ellipse in San Diego either night. I was actually the one that helped Dan get his first interaction with Bono in Hartford on Elevation. I lifted him up and Bono grabbed his arm and they had a little moment. Started there. I am talking about friends that are using other means to accomplish their goals. It's about overcoming odds, eh? Well...they have overcome. Everytime. And in all reality, it may actually be more than 12 and many times without GA tickets.

And I don't consider myself a super fan, but I have been beeped in 3 times out of 5.

Last edited:
dazzledbylight said:
CMB.....really? you'd been around unethusioatic fans or sections at U2 shows?

Yeah actually...in Chicago. Went to that show because I thought it would be better there, but was in fact worse. I wish it weren't true.

cmb737 said:

Dan didn't make it into the ellipse in San Diego either night. I was actually the one that helped Dan get his first interaction with Bono in Hartford on Elevation. I lifted him up and Bono grabbed his arm and they had a little moment. Started there. I am talking about friends that are using other means to accomplish their goals. It's about overcoming odds, eh? Well...they have overcome. Everytime. And in all reality, it may actually be more than 12 and many times without GA tickets.

And I don't consider myself a super fan, but I have been beeped in 3 times out of 5.

I haven't beep in yet.:wink:

cmb737 said:

Yeah actually...in Chicago. Went to that show because I thought it would be better there, but was in fact worse. I wish it weren't true.

better than where else you have gone.....where are those places...? all mis west or east /or West coast, too?

in brooklyn at first there were some people that weren't so enthusiastic, in fact one young womwan turned to me {after i'd woo hooed something } and said..."well at least you're energized" . there def more enthusiastic fans in front of me.

with bands like The Who, Springsteen, Patti Smith esp when you're at leawe were at least no more than around 10 - 15 rows away and at times between 8- 4th row...plwety of energized fans!
even for Bruce far away [ from 90"s onward] more about half our section would be rocking out in song matter.

PAtti we';ve almost always been closer up and most of the time there'd be enusiatic people. Somtimes when I {& when w friends} are energized/dancing etc I/we occasionally give 'permission' for others to 'rock out', too.

I cross my fingers that if you're go9ng again this part or inthe fall- you'll be surrounded by the visibly enthusiatic fans.

dazzledbylight said:

better than where else you have gone.....where are those places...? all mis west or east /or West coast, too?

Don't get me wrong, I still rocked out and enjoyed each show immensely. But in a conversation about fan energy, I thought I would throw in my observations. Each to their own, get bombed or not...its still a great show.

Worse than both shows in Denver, Chicago was, but better just barely than San Diego. INSIDE the ellipse mind you. I am just speaking about that, and that only.

Rawk.

Oh i wouldn't let others dampen My enthusiam either, so i was pretty sure YOU were having a great time!
! -note i was the one being energized at the begining of the brooklyn show- even if no one around me at first was.

But if i got you right....this atmosphere was INside the Elipse....:eyebrow: ?

GHADS I"M still terying to GET a TIX FOR nyc OR nj. I've NEVER been shut out for a U2 tour :scream: I still don't have a tix, partly due to bad luck, and party due to a friend having a bad situation land on her desk at work just when she came in Extra early that day to be ready to go on line for tix. She 'freaked out" and didn't even get a chance to get on line in time.

Oh no I'm sure there have been times when people have gone because it was the thing to do -so to speak...and it's really frustrating when someone like that gets the chnace when someone who's got no tix and really, really wanted to go could have gone in their place {imho }

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bono's drawn pictures on his body for pete's sake, and then he goes and gets the picture tattooed on.

i wanna do that... do you think i can get bono to draw himself on my ass :lol:

Back
Top Bottom