Stones stage compared to Vertigo Stage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my!!! That's horrible! At first I was thinking she might have fallen from one of the On Stage Boxes!

are there any more pix to se from different angles? it's hard to imagine what the effects look like when in full swing! btw i don't like the stage nor the setlist, but then again i was never a huge stones supporter/fan...
kl

LOL at the setlist complaints, oh wait where have i seen similar comments before? oh yes on this forum :wink:

It's ugly.

The Vertigo stage is very simple, very clear.

As most of you mentioned already, it looks like a car park.

Whoo! I'm so freakishly psyched about the fact they've trotted out all the old warhorses! I'm going to my first Stones concert in 3 weeks, and I'm all about hearing all the most popular, least obscure songs. I feel kind of bad for the diehards getting a disappointing setlist, but I'm selfishly giddy as a school girl!

KUEFC09U2 said:
LOL at the setlist complaints, oh wait where have i seen similar comments before? oh yes on this forum :wink:

There have been complaints but the Stones are far more worse when it comes to playing the same hits. Since 89 it never fails to hear:

Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Its Only Rock N Roll
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
Tumbling Dice
Sympathy For The Devil
Miss You
Jumpin Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Woman
And the new Warhorse "You Got Me Rockin" (Terrible song)

With U2 we have:
Sunday
I Will Follow
Bullet
Streets
WOWY
Pride
One

The Stones only played 4 songs from the new album last night. Can you imagine if U2 played 4 songs off of HTDAAB? This board would be :mad: .

Hopefully the arena shows for the Stones will be a bit more adventurous. I won't pay over $100 to see a stadium show.

1124719548_7004.jpg

1124719629_8193.jpg

mabel said:
1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rockin
3. Shattered
4. Tumlin' Dice
5. Rough Justice
6. Back Of My Hand
7. Beast Of Burden
8. She's So Cold
9. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker
10. Night Time

Intros

11. The Worst (Keith)
12. Infamy (Keith)
13. Miss You

B-Stage moves out of mainstage

14. Oh No, Not You Again
15. Satisfaction
16. Honky Tonk Women

Back to mainstage

17. Out Of Control
18. Sympathy For The Devil
19. Jumpin Jack Flash
20. Brown Sugar

Encore

21. You Can't Always Get What You Want
22. Its Only Rock n Roll

hey, the Stones setlist ain't that bad. All of these songs have been played rarely, if at all in the past:

1) You Got Me Rockin (1994)
2) Rough Justice (2005)
3) Back Of My hand (2005)
4) She's So Cold (1980)
5) Doo Doo Doo (heartbreaker) (1973)
6) Night Time (Ray Charles Cover)
7) The Worst (1994)
8) Infamy (2005)
9) Out of Control (1997)

As far as I'm concerned, 9 out of 20 songs in the "rare" category is a pretty decent setlist. Some people have commented on the fact that the Stones played "only" 20 songs, but you have to remember that the Stones often play extended Jams - much more than U2 does - and that these extended outros really lend themselves to crowd partticipation. You also have to remember that the Stones have 25 studio albums to draw from (plus a double album's worth of A-sides not on any albums), and that they have a diverse fanbase who prefer some eras over others...the Stones don't have a lot of currency tp spend on playing "rare" stuff, and 9 songs is actually really pushing it.

DignityPassesBy said:
The Rolling Stones suck the big one ... Mick Jagger is a toolbag

I love quotes like this, but here is my stage critique:

I am thinking the ‘big idea’ here is building a stadium inside a stadium. The ‘octopus’ ‘carpark’ wings are where the onstage folks are, and to me at least, the wings look like the spiral pedestrian ramps at Giants Stadium:

bylk040427143101.jpg

150.jpg

I am not so sure this idea is so big.

I think the scale of this stage is huge, and I am curious to see how the B-Stage moves from the main stage to the field, but as an overall aesthetic, I think this stage is quite ugly.

I fear that the Fisher / Williams team has worked on this due to the similarity in structural steel from this design to Vertigo and because they have worked on the previous Stones tours. I would love to see more images of this thing in action, but from what I have seen, I do not love. After looking at the images and drawings, I am unsure why any band would want to pack up and ship those steel stairs for every date, just so the fans can stand ‘inside’ the stage. I think it would be very cool to be up there and see the show and crowd from that vantage point, but it has to be costing the Stones a fortune to do that.

I am unsure how the video screen is working in this show, but I would be surprised if it really was just that vertical configuration shown in those images. I think it is a step back for this band if they had as a backdrop one huge rectilinear video screen that did not disassemble, move, or do something interesting.

As a huge critic of the Vertigo Europe stage, I now believe that it is a much more elegant design than the Stones. I think the Stones probably threw more money at this design than U2, but I am not sure how successful they are.

I am sure I will have more to say when more images come in…

I think most of them are sold out, though it sounds like they released a ton before Fenway's show yesterday. They're also going to be announcing added dates for the winter. I just got an email (I got a free membership to rollingstones.com when I bought my tix for MSG) and they've got fan presale going now for several new dates.

i just browsed through a Rolling Stones messageboard and man, it sounded exactly like this board. The exact same setlist type arguments. It will be interesting to see how much the Rolling Stones mix up their setlists. Here is a pretty cool pic

302771_082105stonesms12.jpg

ramblin rose said:

:ohmy:

Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:45 PM

Fan injured in fall at Rolling Stones concert

(Boston - AP) — A woman attending the Rolling Stones' concert at Fenway Park tonight is seriously injured.

According to broadcast reports, the woman climbed to an upper deck at the park before falling at least 30 feet to the area below the deck.

She was taken by ambulance to Beth Israel Hospital.

Police and fire officials did not immediately have any details.

In 1997 at a show at the Pontiac SIlverdome a guy died doing the same thing.

On another note, the tongue looks awful as does the stage, but Keef looks like he's ready to kick some ass. :hyper:

I wish I were going to see them next week. :angry:

That would have been very weird to sit behind homeplate and have an entire baseball diamond between you and the infield crowd and stage.

:down:

ouizy said:
That would have been very weird to sit behind homeplate and have an entire baseball diamond between you and the infield crowd and stage.

:down:

yeah, but thats not really the stones fault, thats just how it has to be done at fenway, same thing happened with the springsteen concert.

what i like about the Stones stage is that at least they were trying to be creative and came up with something new for them. this does look pretty cool

1124719629_8193.jpg

for U2's indoor show they used the same stage as elevation, except with some light curtains for a few songs. for the outdoor show they used 1 giant screen as the stage, which is also something they've done before. so at least the stones get points for creativity.

starvinmarvin said:
hey, the Stones setlist ain't that bad. All of these songs have been played rarely, if at all in the past:

1) You Got Me Rockin (1994)
2) Rough Justice (2005)
3) Back Of My hand (2005)
4) She's So Cold (1980)
5) Doo Doo Doo (heartbreaker) (1973)
6) Night Time (Ray Charles Cover)
7) The Worst (1994)
8) Infamy (2005)
9) Out of Control (1997)

As far as I'm concerned, 9 out of 20 songs in the "rare" category is a pretty decent setlist.

Well, I don't consider their new songs "rare", since they were never performed before because they weren't written/recorded when the Stones toured the last time. If you would apply that then to U2, then they also played 10-12 "rare" songs on their opening night of the Vertigo Tour (depending whether or not you would consider Running To Stand Still and 40 to be "rare"). And You Got Me Rockin' was played very often on their Forty Licks Tour, so that isn't a rarity either. That leaves:

1. She's So Cold
2. Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
3. Night Time
4. The Worst
5. Out Of Control

as songs that haven't been played at all or just very few times during their last tour(s).
:shrug:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Okay, a car park waterslide, so like the stones can lick your ass as well as remove your wallet in one slick move!

Jumpin Jack Flash its just about cash cash cash!

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Well, I don't consider their new songs "rare", since they were never performed before because they weren't written/recorded when the Stones toured the last time. If you would apply that then to U2, then they also played 10-12 "rare" songs on their opening night of the Vertigo Tour (depending whether or not you would consider Running To Stand Still and 40 to be "rare"). And You Got Me Rockin' was played very often on their Forty Licks Tour, so that isn't a rarity either. That leaves:

1. She's So Cold
2. Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
3. Night Time
4. The Worst
5. Out Of Control

as songs that haven't been played at all or just very few times during their last tour(s).
:shrug:

You could even cut that list to 4. As The Worst has been played quite a bit the since '94.

Chizip said:

yeah, but thats not really the stones fault, thats just how it has to be done at fenway, same thing happened with the springsteen concert.

what i like about the Stones stage is that at least they were trying to be creative and came up with something new for them. this does look pretty cool

1124719629_8193.jpg

for U2's indoor show they used the same stage as elevation, except with some light curtains for a few songs. for the outdoor show they used 1 giant screen as the stage, which is also something they've done before. so at least the stones get points for creativity.
oh come on chizip, am pretty sure U2 could just throw everything together like they have done, did you see the european stage in full affect?

hi kuef, hope you are having a good day

yes ive seen videos of the european stage. its one big giant screen like popmart was...

Chizip said:

1124719629_8193.jpg

They do get some points.

What I like about the Stones camp is actually what I dislike about U2's. I like how the Stones take some elements from their outdoor shows (i.e. the screen) and use them in a novel way indoors, whereas I did not like the way the U2 indoor stage was used outdoors.

having fans actually on stage as part of the production and using a b stage that moves from the main stage out into the audience are pretty cool ideas. at least they are trying to be innovative.

great yet another chance for the people who have a downer on this tour to once again express their opinions on just how much they think everyone else is doing better

Chizip said:
having fans actually on stage as part of the production and using a b stage that moves from the main stage out into the audience are pretty cool ideas. at least they are trying to be innovative.
ok well you name something U2 could have done, something were people wouldnt have been saying "ohh there just trying to recreate ZooTv, or ohhh thats not as inovative as pop" because lets face it there isnt much left they can do, and to me this is the best way they could have gone this tour, the outdoor stage to me reminds me of ZooTv, Popmart, and elevation,

but the people who have a downer on it will always have a downer on it, so no point in me trying to defend all the time

but it is suprising the fact that so many people who do have a downer on the tour, continue to visit the vertigo tour section of the forum

Back
Top Bottom