stadium design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackemlad

The Fly
Just interested if the person who posted the very very accurate pictures of the inside stage design has any of the outdoor set up.

Any ideas anyone?

The more I look at it, the more it seems that the Munich diagram may actually be accurate...

ouizy said:
The more I look at it, the more it seems that the Munich diagram may actually be accurate...
And why is that? I think it's a standard Munich Stadium diagram on which the sightlines and different GA section's are shown... The diagram shows 2 soundboots, U2 only uses one...

Another thing that is just too weir is the small U2 stage section! Why use the smaller arena sized set? They are doing a full outdoor leg! Build a larger one is what comes to my mind :wink:

I'm really curious why you think this really...

u2_munich.jpg

the stage in this diagram is clearly bigger than the stage used in the arenas. you can see the arean astage placed upon a larger, rectangular shaped stage in this diagram. those boxes by the stage aren't sound booths... they're light towers.

Last edited:
This is a silly discussion. How long has this been an issue?
I mean: Look at the vertigo stage on this diagram. The ramps are cut off suddenly. NO one could believe that the ramps are not stretching further out into the crowd. The point with the ramps is, that they go out into the crowd - they are not made just so that Bono can run around and tease Larry from behind...
That definately makes no sense.
So this is my take: There's something to this diagram (as in: it serves a purpose for the people who plans the concert), but it gives us NO clues as to the final set up.
And the two barriers? Who gives a ....?
I´m not paying attention to the barriers that divide people in GA area. Sorry, but that´s just not interesting enough...

Last edited:
Whoaaaa - settle down.

I said that it may be relatively accurate as this diagram:

A) came out before the tour started
B) the concentic circles and ellipses match what is being used in the arenas almost identically.

Now if I had to guess, yes ellipse will definitely come out into the crowd, maybe it was just left off the diagram for whatever reason, or maybe this was released well before the deign was finished.

Yes, U2 only uses ONE mixing/lighting post in the crowd, maybe these are structures simply for audio, lighting, video who knows, but they will for sure have audio out in the field. The fact that the sight lines are drawn tells us this.

I think Willie (on command from the band and management) has recently come up with a method in which aspects of the indoor stage can and will be used outside, much like that of Elevation.

I think the band decided (maybe wisely, maybe not) that losing money at shows was a thing of the past (90's) and that they would re-use what they could whether they play inside or out. Gone are the days of ZOOTV where they had one indoor stage (actually the same one from Joshua Tree) and one for the outdoor.

With Willie building lights into the floor of the stage it is just too damn expensive to use that soley inside and not out.

I am sure we will see the circles, the ellipse and everything else you see inside, along with some simple scaffold towers for audio and lighting. I would not be surprised if the Beaded Curtain is extended (probably alread bought and built) to extend alopng the entire length of the back of the stage where there is no seating.

I would love to imagine that the stadium design will be revolutionary, but my gut tells me it will not unfortunately.

Not trying to pick at you.
Just stating one fact: The diagram does not disclose anything about what distinguishes the stadium tour from the arena tour.

Those two posts are lighting towers. The Sight lines therefore show both that they are directly inline with centre stage on a constant diaganol, and the view obstruction (ive done some stage design work)

and i just wonder if there is maybe going to be the elipse with an addition bit - so that there is the current elipse with also an 'extended version' to allow more inside it. Only problem then might be the edges guitar reciever, as it is placed by his amp pedal

Headache in a Suitcase said:
paul mcguinness has already stated that the production of the indoor american arena shows will be different from the production of the outdoor european stadium shows

Yeah - they will be outside.

A different production is what he means of course! Zoo-TV indoors and Zoo-TV outdoors was a big differens aswell... I'm not saying the outdoor show will be a over the top show... Just saying that the simplicity thats suggested on the Munich diagram is just not U2... It will even be bigger than the outdoor Elevation gigs, cause even then they had bigger screens, more lights and a larger heart.. Just for 3 shows... We'll just have to wait, but this Munich diagram is no indication...

ouizy said:

I think Willie (on command from the band and management) has recently come up with a method in which aspects of the indoor stage can and will be used outside, much like that of Elevation.

It would be pointless, realy.
And it's not true. "Two diferent productions"... is not what you're describing.

my view on stadium-stage design:

1) there's no use for those curtains on stadiums, because there will be no people behind the stage (like in arenas)... the curtains are used in arenas and are "revolutionary" because you can look at them from every side... what's the point of this on stadiums???????:huh:
2) because of 1) there probably will be used a "normal" huge LED screen, who knows, maybe even the same one from PopMart, just maybe scaled down or split to several parts...

(and already here it would make the production totaly diferent...)

3) the "ellipse" - I think it will be there... but not bigger... there will be one in the same size as that from arenas... and then another one - bigger one, further in the crowd...
The stage is a "target" shape - so it is possible, right?
4) I also expect some sort of "new symbol" - something like trabant, white flag, lemon....
Maybe a huge "Atomic Bomb" hanging over the stage (target)... we'll see.

The only real difference between the arena stage and the stadium stage is size. If you look at pictures from the Vertigo Tour Program, the stage in some of the pictures is immensely BIGGER than the arena shows we've already seen.

The light curtains in a stadium dont make sense at all.

If anyone saw the Slane Castle show, did you look at the difference between the stage in this show and the stage in all the other shows (except for Turin and Berlin)? The longer parts of the stage were obviously extended.

In regards to the outdoor Vertigo production, they could, instead of one elipse, have two- as seen in the schematic on this page.

They could also "stretch" and/or" extend the elipse to accomodate more people, etc.

In regards to the person who said someting about multiple stages. Most artists who tour places like Staples or Madison Square Garden can afford to have multiple stages. For example, nsync's 2001 tour had three stages, #1 #2 and #3. Lets say #1 was in Dallas, and the next show was in Houston. #2 would probably be set up as number #1 was being played on.

But this principle does not apply to this tour, as there are OBVIOUS gaps within the tour. U2 at the max are playing 4-5 shows a week on this tour, usually on Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Fridays/Saturdays. Remember, you have to keep in mind that U2 are millionares, and that Vertigo//Europe could be a totally different production than that of Vertigo//North America. Fuck, they might even do another Zoo TV, who knows?

Then again, it could just be the same exact stage, plus added side sections, more lighting, and a giant sound system and canopy covering the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom