Sound quality in San Jose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elvated2001

Babyface
I've attended several U2 tours over the years, including ELEVATION in San Jose 3 years ago.

Was it just me and my buds that thought so , or was the sound quality incredibly poor on Saturday night? Loud, but Very fuzzy . . . . buzzy. . . bass heavy. . . . extremely disappointing for a tour of this size and expense.

It was very tough to hear the intricacies of Edge's guitar, make out the vocals (course I KNEW all the words anyway) or even make out what Bono said when speaking.

I'm going to 2 other shows later this year (Oakland and Portland) and i'm scared sh**less

We had reserved seats in the 100s. Was it better on the floor . . . straight ahead of the stage?

I agree. The sound Sunday night wasn't anything too great either. At least in the 200's where I was sitting. Same issues: muffled, blurred and distorted. It was plenty loud, just not clear. The band was absolutely spot-on. I can not say the same for the sound. Left me a little disappointed as well.

Does anyone have any soundboard-quality mp3s from the SJ2 show? I was there and I want to have the concert on audio to remember forever. :)

-Miggy

I was there Saturday in section 101 (with some lame fans around me, ugh!), and I thought the sound was pretty good. For that stadium, anyway. My husband has seen some non-U2 shows there before where the sound was just horrible, so I think the U2 sound people did a good job. That being said, I do agree with you that sometimes it was hard to make out what Bono was singing/speaking. But I was on the floor at Anaheim 2 the week before, and I thought it was even harder to hear him sometimes there. I thought his vocals were drowned out a bit, and he was hard to hear sometimes. But I just figured that was because I was on the floor with big speakers blaring down at me. I guess San Jose in the stands seemed a little better to me by comparison. Not sure if this helps at all, but just my 2 cents! :)

Yeah, on Saturday the crowd was lame, and the sound was good, not great. I think that Sunday the sound was better, but kind of hard for me to judge because for Saturday I was in the 200's and on Sunday I was on the floor.

Yep, I was there for the Sat show and the sound was very bass heavy and drowned out Bono's voice much of the time, I was in section 228 to the right of the stage. I was sitting in the same spot at the pond a week earlier and it was much better. I am suprised it didnt get much better Sunday. The shows in 2001 had much better sound.

I've been to all the shows except SJ2.... they have all sounded fantastic to me minus a few clitches. However, I've been on the floor everynight.

Stood near the front row of the Ellipse for both San Jose shows.

Saturday - couldn't understand Bono at all whenever he preached at us, Edge's guitar faded out when he was on the catwalk, Edge's backup vocals disappeared during SBS, Adam and Larry sounded good, crowd was lame.

Sunday - could understand all of Bono's speeches, Edge's guitar sounded awesome, Larry and Adam sounded good, crowd was much louder.

thesuburbskill said:
despite earbleed, sound quality in HP was a solid B/maybe B+

Sound was A+ in the ellipse. As was the view. :D

In all seriousness, good luck on your next show.

I would honestly say the sound was the best I have ever heard from U2. Better than Popmart Columbus which was outside. It was a great mix and you could hear all the parts very well. Wish I could see them again like that.

i was in the lower level/adam side stage on sat night and i agree, the sound was HORRIBLE! defintiely very muffled. had GA for the sunday show and i thought the sound was defintiely better, but still not great. fun shows nonetheless!!!

Back
Top Bottom