Songs from BOMB that didn't work on the tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
(The General discussion of the Vertigo tour is flat, so I would post here)

Look at this standard setlist from the Vertigo tour...

USA

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
Yahweh

Where, in the American setlist would ... "A Man And A Woman" , "One Step Closer" , "Crumbs From Your Table" possibly fit? We see the Love Peace, Bloody Sunday, Bullet trio being political and ABOY, Yahweh 40 being the religious part. But where in that set would you see these fitting in? They would feel awkward...

Now I was at the Minneapolis show, which had about 4 new songs added, but hearing Crumbs was great, it felt out of place, after All Because Of You... What was the message... originally the setlist was All Because Of You, Yahweh and 40. That's the 'God' message, and closer of the show...

40 closes a show that may have a not so interested audience, and Vertigo closes a high energy show. But Crumbs fitting into the final encore... didn't work out.

A Man And A Woman was a song that should have been bundled with The First Time, Wild Horses, Walk On, and Fast Cars, before With Or Without You. It would have best fit the 1st encore.

One Step Closer was a song that should have segued into something, preferably Streets or COBL. But never did.... or possibly a snippet after One, like Unchained Melody?

We'll never know why these songs weren't played, but given the POP tour, almost all songs were played (10 total out of 12) ... there's a first time for everything, and there's still time left...

Crumbs could have worked as a good closer

ABOY -> Yahweh -> Crumbs

One Step Closer would have been perfect snippeted or in full after Somtimes and Before LAPOE.

AMAAW I cant fit anywhere.

theu2fly said:
given the POP tour, almost all songs were played (10 total out of 12)

Wrong. 11 out of 12 Pop songs were played, and the 12th, Playboy Mansion, was snippeted. Plus, HMTMKMKM was another new song played live then.

And regarding Crumbs, I think it would've fit into a set like this:

Bullet The Blue Sky
RTSS / Miss Sarajevo
Where The Streets Have No Name
Crumbs From Your Table

And if One and/or Pride must be there, they could fit in before or after Crumbs, like Streets/Pride/Crumbs or Streets/Crumbs/One.

Ax, what about...

Sometimes
Crumbs
Love Peace
Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

Is it that dragging on the political trio too much? I think Crumbs after Sometimes would have been best...

theu2fly said:
Ax, what about...

Sometimes
Crumbs
Love Peace
Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Sarajevo
Pride
Streets
One

Is it that dragging on the political trio too much? I think Crumbs after Sometimes would have been best...

I honestly don't really like Crumbs in that spot ... I'd prefer it associated with Pride. That said, that still makes the set better than SYCMIOYO --> LAPOE, which I find to be a quite harsh transition that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A soft, sorrowful ballad into something with a dark and menacing intro? Doesn't really work in my eyes. So Crumbs would help to break that up.

i thought miracle drug sounded a bit off compared to the album, maybe that's just me.

i also think one step closer would've been a great snippet after sometimes to go into love and peace, or maybe

sometimes
yahweh
love and peace

like in one of the 3rd leg chicago shows.

crumbs would've been a great main set closer, but also a great 2nd encore opener.

so here's how i see it:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / Stories for Boys (snippet)
3. Elevation
4. The Cry / The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / I Can See for Miles (snippet)
5. Until the End of the World
6. New Year's Day
7. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet)
8. Original of the Species
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own / One Step Closer (snippet)
10. Love and Peace or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock the Casbah (snippet)
12. Bullet the Blue Sky*
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. One / Unchained Melody (snippet)**
15. Where the Streets Have No Name
16. Pride (In the Name of Love)*

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. Mysterious Ways

20. Crumbs from Your Table
21. All Because of You
22. Yahweh
23. Bad / 40 (snippet)

* - i'd drop these in a heartbeat, but the guys won't :grumpy:
** - unchained melody snippet would fade into streets, ie:
Bono: Are you...still Miiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiine???
Teh Edge: [streets guitar]
Bono: [random shout, possibly an "oh!!!"]

there you go, a rocking set, a decent streets segue, and crumbs from your table, you can thank me later :wink:

Last edited:
How can you compare OSC to Sarajevo or RTSS?? Sarajevo and RTSS were pretty exciting on their spots, and both are much better songs than OSC.

One Step Closer should have segued into Streets... it would have been the best seguer since AIWIY

Altho, one can't help but wonder... if Running To Stand Still segued into Streets... what about Miss Sarajevo?

I was thinking today that Streets would be a great closer and that Crumbs would fit in the same spot that Gone fit in on the Elevation '01 tour.

Maybe a setlist like this

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. Elevation
4. Gloria
5. Electric Co
6. The Ocean
7. Crumbs from Your Table
8. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
9. <WILD CARD> Dirty Day
10. Love and Peace
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Electrical Storm
13. Walk On
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Bad w/ All I Want is You or The First Time snippet (into COBL ala Elevation01 bad->streets)
16. City Of Blinding Lights
17. Pride
-Break-
18. Until the End of the World
19. The Fly
20. One Step Closer
21. With Or Without You
-Break-
22. Discotheque
23. Yahweh
24. Where the Streets Have No Name

I think the transition from Sometimes into DD would be amazing, then 'Love wont last kissing time' lines of Dirty Day into the intro sounds/bass line for LAPOE might warrant me bringing an extra pair of boxers cus i think it would be that good :ohmy: Even if Dirty Day wasnt played, I still have always liked Sometimes into LAPOE

Of course I would like Axver's opinion on this dream-but-not-so-unrealistic-setlist :wink:

EDIT: I'm really liking this lineup and making this as a playlist on my ipod...its worth giving a shot

Last edited:
mofo82 said:
Of course I would like Axver's opinion on this dream-but-not-so-unrealistic-setlist :wink:

Most of it, I like. It's a shame it's unrealistic, because some of that stuff, I'd really like to hear. Only three things I dislike:

1. Miss Sarajevo after Walk On. That just doesn't feel right to me.
2. The Fly followed by One Step Closer? Yikes.
3. Discotheque followed by Yahweh? I'd probably move Discotheque to be with Zoo Station and The Fly and bring something else into the second encore, maybe Gloria/Yahweh/Streets would be better.

Axver said:

Most of it, I like. It's a shame it's unrealistic, because some of that stuff, I'd really like to hear. Only three things I dislike:

1. Miss Sarajevo after Walk On. That just doesn't feel right to me.
2. The Fly followed by One Step Closer? Yikes.
3. Discotheque followed by Yahweh? I'd probably move Discotheque to be with Zoo Station and The Fly and bring something else into the second encore, maybe Gloria/Yahweh/Streets would be better.

Thanks for the feedback Ax. As far as walk on/miss sarajevo, I was going for the stripped down part of the show there, still humanitarian in theme, into the build up of Bad, then climaxing with cobl and pride, ala desire/stay into bad/40/streets from elevation '01.

What would you do with Dirty Day, Electrical Storm, Disco, Fly? I Guess I'd like to see your idea of an up to date setlist :hmm:

mofo82 said:

Thanks for the feedback Ax. As far as walk on/miss sarajevo, I was going for the stripped down part of the show there, still humanitarian in theme, into the build up of Bad, then climaxing with cobl and pride, ala desire/stay into bad/40/streets from elevation '01.

Ooh, you were thinking of this tour's acoustic Walk On? I was imagining a full band version there, that's why it seemed so odd to me. I suppose the acoustic version could work then.

What would you do with Dirty Day, Electrical Storm, Disco, Fly? I Guess I'd like to see your idea of an up to date setlist :hmm: [/B]

I like your use of Dirty Day. I might do something like this:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Beautiful Day
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation
5. The Electric Co.
6. Gloria
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Dirty Day
11. Exit
12. Love And Peace Or Else
13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Running To Stand Still
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. Crumbs From Your Table

19. Discotheque
20. The Fly
21. Gone

22. Fast Cars
23. Original Of The Species
24. Bad

Sorry, no Electrical Storm ... I only realised I'd omitted it once I finished the set, and I quite like it how it is. But if I were to put in Electrical Storm, I'd put it in either after Beautiful Day and cut Elevation (Beautiful Day/Electrical Storm/Vertigo/Electric Co.) or put it into the second encore. Maybe Electrical Storm/Fast Cars/Bad. A bit of an odd selection to precede Bad, but I don't want to lose Fast Cars.

Ah well, what does it matter, U2 will never play that set anyway!

Axver said:

Ooh, you were thinking of this tour's acoustic Walk On? I was imagining a full band version there, that's why it seemed so odd to me. I suppose the acoustic version could work then.

I like your use of Dirty Day. I might do something like this:

2. Beautiful Day
3. Vertigo
4. Elevation
5. The Electric Co.
6. Gloria
8. Miracle Drug
10. Dirty Day
11. Exit
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo

19. Discotheque
20. The Fly
21. Gone

22. Fast Cars
23. Original Of The Species
24. Bad

Sorry, no Electrical Storm ... I only realised I'd omitted it once I finished the set, and I quite like it how it is. But if I were to put in Electrical Storm, I'd put it in either after Beautiful Day and cut Elevation (Beautiful Day/Electrical Storm/Vertigo/Electric Co.) or put it into the second encore. Maybe Electrical Storm/Fast Cars/Bad. A bit of an odd selection to precede Bad, but I don't want to lose Fast Cars.

Ah well, what does it matter, U2 will never play that set anyway!

A couple of things to make this set perfect:

1) Cut Vertigo from the early set. make the second encore like this...

22. Fast Cars
23. Yahweh
24. Bad/The First Time/40
25. VERTIGO

That is THE closing set. Cutting Yahweh from the set would be wrong, so this placing is perfect.

2) HMTMKMKM shouldn't replace SBS. That definitely sounds like more of a dream pick than something that would actually help the set.

3) UF just doesn't work there.

So, in conclusion, here's what my set would look like:

2. Elevation
3. Beautiful Day
4. The Electric Co.
5. Gloria
6. Promenade
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. Dirty Day
10. Exit
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Running To Stand Still
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. Crumbs From Your Table
18. Discotheque or Zoo Station (mix it up)
19. The Fly
20. Gone
21. Fast Cars
22. Original Of The Species
23. Bad/The First Time/40
24. Vertigo

:up: :up: :up:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

A couple of things to make this set perfect:

1) Cut Vertigo from the early set. make the second encore like this...

22. Fast Cars
23. Yahweh
24. Bad/The First Time/40
25. VERTIGO

No, I don't like Vertigo as a closer at all. I prefer it early in the main set, around second or third.

2) HMTMKMKM shouldn't replace SBS. That definitely sounds like more of a dream pick than something that would actually help the set.

Of course, but given we were throwing around songs like Dirty Day, I figured I had some license to experiment. Ever since I first heard LAPOE, I've been saying Exit/LAPOE/HMTMKMKM would be awesome.

3) UF just doesn't work there.

The lack of flow there was a result of my desire to stick with 24 songs. Initially, The Ocean was between Gloria and UF. Then I decided I didn't really like The Ocean and The Wanderer could fit in, at least thematically, after Gloria and would lead into UF well enough. And then the set got too long, so I decided Wanderer had to go as I love UF.

Also, I feel OOTS is more entertaining than Yahweh.

Edit: now that I think about it, this might be better:

2. Beautiful Day
3. Vertigo
4. The Electric Co.
5. Gloria
6. The Wanderer
8. Original Of The Species
10. Dirty Day
11. Exit
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo

19. Discotheque
20. The Fly
21. Gone

22. Electrical Storm
23. Fast Cars
24. Yahweh
25. Bad

Last edited:
Well Axver, they're all great sets, probably much better than anything we've seen so far this tour, and perfection is unattainable. Heck, I don't think we could ever even get perfect sets for ourselves, let alone anyone else.

Nonetheless...:wink:

I made a change by switching Beautiful Day and Elevation around. There's no real reason to make them go the other way, especially when that's where they sounded their best during Elevation.

The real reason I'd put Vertigo at the very end is because that's when the band tends to put the most energy into it. Despite all the hatred over Vertigo x2 (I don't care for it either) it generally destroyed it's predecessor. Plus, it'll keep people from leaving after the first encore. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Nonetheless...:wink:

I made a change by switching Beautiful Day and Elevation around. There's no real reason to make them go the other way, especially when that's where they sounded their best during Elevation.

I actually was never so keen on following Elevation with Beautiful Day, and I quite like BD after COBL. The band themselves used COBL/BD to open some first leg shows. I think the beginning of BD sounds quite good after COBL. Plus, I feel BD/Elevation/Electric Co. is paced a little better.

The real reason I'd put Vertigo at the very end is because that's when the band tends to put the most energy into it. Despite all the hatred over Vertigo x2 (I don't care for it either) it generally destroyed it's predecessor. Plus, it'll keep people from leaving after the first encore. :wink:

I don't know ... I saw Vertigo x2 live myself, and I felt the one at the end of the show was quite a letdown. I was ready for something softer and powerful like 40 or Bad, and something like Vertigo just let me expecting more. I think Vertigo is a really bad way to close a show, and I feel it's much better early in the main set when the band is really upping the energy and getting the crowd right into the show.

Back
Top Bottom