song opener on this tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
What do you think a good opening song on the next tour would be? Obviously we haven't heard anything off the new album but out of their back catalouge, what do you think would be a great opener. I say MOFO like in Pop mart, there is a vibe to that song. I also think that Numb would be a good opener with random images on a large screen before the band come out.

i think it's impossible to speculate right now. it'll definitely be a rocking tune from the new album.

It'll be the second or third song from the new album. Or whatever the lead single was, or the hit single at the time.

From the new album it probably will be one of those rockers we've been hearing about, hopefully an up-tempo, aggressive and hard rocking song that pumps everybody up!!!

:drool: :drool:

But out of those that already exist I remember when U2 played that little concert in a theater or something just before the Elevation Tour begin as a warm up and they used Until The End Of The World, that was cool but I don't think they used the amazing intro and that's a shame. Cause think about the whole place is dark then all of the sudden that crazy distorted intro from UTEOTW blasts out of the PA and the band launches into the song!! Awesome!!! But Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me would be a kick ass opener too!!!!! :hyper:

Lemon should be playing before the band comes out, then when it finishes they should come on and begin with Ultraviolet.

I think U2 should play the occasional between-album show, that way theyre not forced to take a large number of songs from their latest album but can delve freely into their catalogue.

40/Tommorow/UF, anyone?

I reckon the opener should be 11 O'clock Tick Tock, just like on the UF tour.

I'm sure it will be a new song we haven't heard yet. It's usually a song from the new album they are touring to promote. I don't think they'll use any older songs. It will be fun to be surprised!

U2Kitten said:
I'm sure it will be a new song we haven't heard yet. It's usually a song from the new album they are touring to promote. I don't think they'll use any older songs. It will be fun to be surprised!

Off memory, these are tours that have had songs that weren't from the current album regularly open sets;

War - Out Of Control and Gloria
UF - Gloria and 11 O'clock Tick Tock
JT - Saw a variety, such as Stand By Me/Pride
Lovetown - Streets

So yes, it's normally a new song. It would be lovely to see something really old open, but it's almost certain to not happen. That said, Streets is the ultimate opener ... besides 11 O'clock Tick Tock!

gonna be a new tune from new album - there really shouldn't be too much more discussion - but, what if?????

Streets
Exit
Desire (full electric)

The house lights on....would be AWESOME again!!! But I'm thinking maybe the opener would be "Vertigo" since it's the "Vertigo Tour", (they did the same with "Elevation" for the "Elevation Tour") Well....as long as they don't open with "All Because Of You", for some reason I just can't get myself to like that song!!!! (I wish that "Sometimes...." video would have been released here in the states instead.)

Axver said:

Off memory, these are tours that have had songs that weren't from the current album regularly open sets;

War - Out Of Control and Gloria
UF - Gloria and 11 O'clock Tick Tock
JT - Saw a variety, such as Stand By Me/Pride
Lovetown - Streets

So yes, it's normally a new song. It would be lovely to see something really old open, but it's almost certain to not happen. That said, Streets is the ultimate opener ... besides 11 O'clock Tick Tock!

As I have learnt a lot since I made this list, I'll redo it.

Tours with sets that were regularly opened by songs not from the current album:

War - Gloria and Out Of Control
Under Australian Skies - Gloria and Out Of Control
The Unforgettable Fire Tour - 11 O'clock Tick Tock
Conspiracy Of Hope - MLK*
*Although UF was the last album, the UF Tour had already been completed and the band were recording JT so this tour may be applicable
The Joshua Tree Tour - Stand By Me
Lovetown Tour - Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky

Something old was just as common as something new in the eighties, whereas in the nineties, the band stuck to new material (in fact, I can only think of a couple of shows opene by old material - SBS on 1992-08-07, UTEOTW on 2001-02-07). I'm hoping they return to opening with something old just to surprise us.

Vertigo opening the Vertigo Tour after Elevation opened the Elevation Tour seems a bit lame.

im 99% sure they will open with something from the new album, as per the current trend. i think love and peace would be an incredible opener, and that vertigo might be saved for later in the show, possibly during the encores. vertigo is already a certified u2 "classic" of sorts, and it could really energize the crowd going into the encore, whereas love and peace has a gradual build up that i think makes it an ideal opener.

that being said, id cream myself if they opened with zoo station!!

It's got to be obvious that they are going to open with Vertigo. The tour is called Vertigo for gods sakes lol.. plus its the first single off the album, its a hyper, energetic song.. it just makes sense.

Elevation opened with Elevation...

lemon_vr6 said:
I would drop dead in my seat if the place went red for the opening song....

I'd explode from joy. Best. Opener. EVER.

Sicy said:
It's got to be obvious that they are going to open with Vertigo. The tour is called Vertigo for gods sakes lol.. plus its the first single off the album, its a hyper, energetic song.. it just makes sense.

Elevation opened with Elevation...

Opening with a lead single is actually extremely rare for U2. If you discount Out Of Control as it was released just as an individual single, not as the lead for Boy, then only one full tour show in U2's entire history has opened with a lead single, 10 October 2001 with Beautiful Day. Beautiful Day opened six additional promo appearances, and we are well aware of Vertigo opening some of the recent promos, and currently they are the only lead singles to ever open anything. So if anything, being the lead single works against it, not for it.

As Elevation opened with Elevation, I am sincerely hoping Vertigo does not open with Vertigo, though I wouldn't really mind. I'm expecting a lot will label this tour as Elevation Part II, though ...

Back
Top Bottom