So who went to their first ever U2 show this year (and who is going)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw my first U2 show last July in Paris, France. One of the best and most weird days of my life and I hope it happens again and again and again!! :love: It was an amazing show! Vertigo, The Electric Co., The Fly, All I Want Is You, Streets, Al Because Of You, Zoo Station, City of Blinding Lights, Elevation, Pride, Bullet The Blue Sky.... just amazing. Plus a snippet of Mystery Girl at the end of One and a REALLY beautiful snippet of Amazing Grace at the end of Running To Stand Still! The band was playing really well and Bono seemed very excited! I pray to God that they come to my country! Seeing U2 was unbelievable but seeing them in my own country playing for my people must be even more special!

me! I became a huge fan the summer going into my senior year (2001, I graduated in 2002) the first time I heard Elevation. I loved their music always, but that just lit the spark. The bummer thing is that this was only a month AFTER they came through Pitt already. LOL...I remember how down I was when I found that out! Anywho, as time wore on I dove deeper into their music (many reasons for that mainly personal ones) and into fandom and it was because of a wonderful U2 friend that I was able to go on Saturday. I could not for the life of me get ahold of tickets, but she had ended up with an extra one and the rest is history. So fast forwarding 6 months later to this past Saturday. I had the most incredible night ever. I was in section B5, last row sorta at level with the stage and ellipse. It was amazing and well worth the wait. My first time was AWESOME! And even better because our location at all times with Bono was like 20 or so feet away. *drools*

it was everything I dreamed and then some!! As soon as the intro was over with and COBL started I just lost control and starting crying. I was so beyond happy and in a total dreamstate. One I still don't want to wake up from!

LOL all I did all night was dance around, sing, cry, giggle and yell I LOVE YOU in hopes Bono would hear. :D...beautiful night and amazing people :D

The one thing that made me giggle was post-show: seeing a women wearing an Edge number 7 shirt! LOL and all I did was walk past point at it and she had the same reaction. It was the coolest. Sorta a neat unsaid connection. :D

Last edited:
Re: Re: So who went to their first ever U2 show this year (and who is going)?

Gen. Chat said:

Euphoria tinged with sorrow until my next U2 fix. Repeat.

I can totally agree with that.

onebloodonelife said:

Also my first show, where were you on the rail?

I was over on the far right. Bono was standing just a little bit to the left of me when he hit the "SIIIIING!" note in Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. He was just a little to the right of me during a good portion of The First Time. That was amazing because I love both of those songs, and I never dreamed I would ever hear The First Time live.

I saw my first U2 show this year as well. :yes: I tried to get tickets to see them during the Elevation tour, but was shut out. I was only a wee 14-year-old then, so my parents weren't prepared to spend exorbitant eBay prices on a band I had only loved for little under a year. They weren't going to let me fly anywhere by myself either. So in Toronto, on the 12th of September, my dream of seeing the band finally came true.

What can I say? It was fantastic. I unfortunately didn't have GA, but appreciated being lower bowl directly opposite the stage nonetheless. I reckon I probably would have enjoyed it more, had I had the opportunity to get a spot on the rail, but I still probably wouldn't have traded my first experience anyway. Why? Because I got to meet the band outside the arena! Instead of standing around in that GA line, I said hi to The Edge and took a picture with him (yeah, due to my excitement I didn't have the sense ask anyone else to take the photo for me, so I got an ugly shot of my head and a corner of The Edge's face, but that's okay). And Bono walked right in front of me! It was so surreal. I almost cried, I was so happy.

As for the concert, it was practically flawless. The band truly were on fire...pity a bootleg hasn't surfaced yet. It only really hit me during ISHFWILF that I was at a U2 show - I just looked around me and every single person in that building was singing. I got goosies. It was incredible. Plus, they played one of my favourite songs! Zoo Station! I was hoping against hope to hear that one live, and that hope came true. Now, I probably made an ass out of myself the whole time (particularly during Zoo Station, hehehe), singing loudly and dancing all over the place, but it was my first time, so nyah. :wink: And speaking of first times... Fast Cars! That really was something special, to be amongst the first to hear a song that U2 had never played to a live audience before. It seemed that I was the only one in my row who knew the words. :lol:

All in all, an amazing experience. I can't wait until they go on tour again. I definitely want to try and see a few more shows next time, rather than just one. And GA if I'm lucky! Splendid experience.

bono4.jpg

the_edge5.jpg

Bono and The Edge outside the ACC!

Great story Gibby! I saw them for my first time back in May. Zoo Station and THE FLY were absolutely unreal!:drool:

BUT, I saw them again just last Monday and I had GA! I was about 3 rows back from the rail, but I still couldn't have asked for a better spot. The Electric Co. was fucking intense on the floor, and I practically fainted when the Edge walked out onto the ellipse just ten feet away from me.

Aaaanyway, Gibby. You seriously need to experience GA the next time you can go to a show. Seats, no matter how close you are, simply cannot compare to the feeling down there. Everyone around you jumping and screaming together is an awe-inspiring sensation.

A few more things about the 10/17 show.. Ummm, Bruce fucking Springsteen, baby! Kickass. People Get Ready was amazing! And Gibby, I have to back you up on Fast Cars. It was seriously one of the highlights of the concert! Especially the Edge/Bono salsa dance in the middle, and the last few bars of the song with the bar lights blinking on and off and Adam's main riff pounding the end of the song, Larry ripping apart the drum heads, and Edge breaking strings (not literally though...yeah). But the climax of the song is truely killer.

And about many people not being too familiar with Fast Cars, I was front and center behind the rail, and I was STILL the only one around me singing all the words to the song.:( Oh well, everyone in the arena just got to miss out on one of the coolest sing-along tracks U2 have written in a long time.

FAST CARS! :rockon:

Oh yeah, and I'm dying waiting for the Chicago DVD to come out, just to see Zoo Station and The Fly again.:drool:

I saw U2 for the first time earlier this year (in April). Previously I was never able to afford or even get a ticket. This time, my boss surprised me with a GA ticket for staying late at work, finishing a project for him. He's a big U2 fan and knew I also love them.
I got to witness the show from 2nd row back on the outside of the ellipse. It was probably the most amazing concert I have ever been to! :faint:
Now, I am completely hooked.

My first U2 show was earlier this year in chicago - i went 5/7 and 5/9.

Alot of people here seem to think that 5/7 sucked and i almost disagree completely. For one, it was my first U2 show and I was GA, so it would have been awesome no matter what. The version of Bad that night is one of the best I've ever heard, and the band really kicked into high gear during the Achtung part of the set. They were really active - Bono did a robot dance during Zoo Station and had a bull fight with Adam.
The version of Vertigo that night was probably the worst I've heard - from watching the bootleg I think Bono was out of breath maybe? That coupled with An Cat Dubh kind of made for an odd start but after City of Blinding Lights things got much much better. By the end, I was completely engrossed in the awesomeness of it all.
I even liked the 5/7 night more than 5/9, because even though the second night was more consistent - the high points of night 1 outweighed the highs of night 2 for me.

my cherry will be popped in miami, nov 13th, well if it does take place after wilma damaged some buildings near the AA arena, i really hope so, i cant even imagine which what thoughts will go thru my mind when i wake up that day, i cant believe still that ill be seeing u2 live, being just a few feet away from u2: bono, the edge, larry and adam, theyre my idols, theyre my miracle drug (God i sound corny, i cant express it any other way tho) i literally will bawl my eyes off, and i also wanna take a sign saying that i flew all the way from honduras just to play desire or party girl (why is it that everyone that's been pulled on stage has played only this song? id play that song even if its not the one that i completely master, and if its my only ticket to go onstage, this makes me wonder if its an actual spontaneous moment in a live u2 venue, well i certainly hope not)

I went to the first Philly show in May, which was also my first U2 show. I absolutely loved it. It was an experience, not just a concert. Ive never been that excited at a concert before. To hear all my favorite songs played live was unbelievable. I especially liked The Fly, Streets, COBL, Vertigo, and SYCMIOYO. But all the songs were great. I ended up shelling out a ridiculous amount so I can go see them in Charlotte on Dec 12th. Can't wait!

wow - it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who had to wait so long for the chance to see them in concert! I've been a fan since 1987, but hadn't managed to see them live before.

My first show was Toronto 2, September 14th and I was like a kid on Christmas eve all night and through the entire GA line wait. I could hardly stand still! My feet were SO swollen the next day, because I don't think I sat for more than 20 minutes from 8 a.m. until I went to bed after 1 a.m. that night.

It was an amazing experience, even if the show itself wasn't the best of the boys performances. An average or even mediocre U2 show is still better than just about any other show you could see! :yes:

I've seen five shows now, total, three of the four Toronto shows and the 2 in Detroit. Detroit 2 was such an incredible night, I can't even put it into words!

I was afraid that the anticipation and excitement would wear off and I would lose interest somewhere along the line, but if anything, the desire to see them again got stronger with each show.

I had to give up a lot to be able to do this, between money and other sacrifices (such as time and a few fights with family :yikes: )
but it was totally 100% worth it!

There's nothing like the experience of U2 live! :heart:

Bono's shades said:

I was over on the far right. Bono was standing just a little bit to the left of me when he hit the "SIIIIING!" note in Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. He was just a little to the right of me during a good portion of The First Time. That was amazing because I love both of those songs, and I never dreamed I would ever hear The First Time live.

Very cool, I was almost directly in the center of the rail. Love and Peace or Else was so awesome since it was right there! The First Time:drool:

My first came after six and a half years at Manchester 1. I was late for work on the day of the ticket sale but managed to score 2 GAs within fifteen minutes ^_^ On the day itself my mate and I were lucky enough to get wristbands and got a position about ten heads back from the front of the stage, before Edge.

It was an unforgettable night, from the opening beat of Vertigo, the tease of Elevation, the spectacle of City of Blinding Lights, the unbridled joy of Pride / Streets and the sensory explosion of the 3 song Zoo TV encore. But my personal highlight of the evening, when Adam struck the opening bass notes of With or Without You. It's my favourite song EVER and with it only being played sparlingly on the first American leg I wasn't expecting to hear it. But God, if nothing else, that made the night for me. And what a night ^_^

In fact it was a damn fine week as far as concerts went. The previous night I'd seen Weezer supported by The Subways and the following weekend I was at the second Green Day, Milton Keynes show (which was also one of my best ever gigs).

I FINALLY got to see my first U2 show on September 17th in Toronto. What an amazing experience! My brother and I went, we had GA's (first time in GA for any concert for both of us). We decided to do the whole "GA experience" slept outside and it was suprisingly....fun. We both figured we'd be tired, but that of course didn't happen. :)

We were extremely nervous about getting a decent spot on the floor. I wound up getting inside the ACC first and got my ticket scanned; all I remember is seeing "VERTIGO VERTIGO VERTIGO", then yelling my brother's name so he would know where I was and to hurry his ass up!!

We got front row centre in the ellipse for my first U2 concert ever and his first GA concert ever!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

After that I've been completely hooked and even spent WAY too much $ on tickets for the Ottawa show in November (25th). :wink:

Back
Top Bottom