So who thinks they'll tour NA stadiums next year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with "lets wait for dsome new material" goes on the assumption that we would see that material soon and that just won't happen. They are very likely to take an extended break once the tour ends, so the choice is really 2006 Tour or wait for 2008-2009 new album.

Can I ask a silly question....

Does anyone on here actually think that the tour will continue on into next year, or will the Vertigo Tour end in Dec this year.

My thoughts are is that U2 NEED to go to Australia, Japan, NZ and that they might come to Europe again

I just don't know

Everyones thoughts are.......

Lisa

Based on Edge's recent comments I think a return to N. America AND Europe are unlikely. Australia is the only possibility I see that may extend the tour and I dont think that is as likely as it once was.

I think they will still make it to Australia but I think that will be the end of the tour.

they'll go where ever they'll make the most money.

one would think if they built that huge stadium setup, they'd use it for more than just one leg... so i wouldn't be shocked to see more stadium dates added after the third leg (hehe... third leg). only question is where... if they'll make more money going to japan and australia, they'll go there. if they'll make more going back to the states? that's what they'll do. if the money ain't worth another 6-10 months of touring? they'll stop.

I think U2 should go see South America, Australia and Japan. Those 2 countries have not seen U2 since the Popmart tour. On the next tour U2 needs to stick with stadiums. There demand is too high and its getting too hard to get tickets for arenas. Plus, they need to top the Popmart production.

I'd be surprised if it goes past December. Based on Edge's comments they seem a little weary of the road to me. Fells like the last ride to me as far as big tours go. Wouldn't bother me either. I don't need to see them turn into the Stones. That said, I hope the people in Aus/Cent America do get to see them.

September 16, 2005

Source: Toronto Sun

Jane Stevenson

There's been some talk of U2 continuing their Vertigo tour after their last scheduled date on Dec. 19 in Portland.

But U2 guitarist the Edge told The Sun in a Canadian newspaper exclusive at the Air Canada Centre last weekend that nothing's been decided.

"At a certain point, we're going to have to get back and start thinking about the next record," said the 44-year-old guitarist, whose band plays the third of their four sold-out shows tonight at the ACC.

The Edge says he does write on the road but he's not as focused as when he's in one place.

"I do, but for every 10 songs I write there's probably only one that will end up going anywhere," he said.

"To start really getting into the material for the next record, it's going to take a lot of time off the road. There's a couple of things that I've done that I hear (and think), 'That's special, that's going to make the next record,' but I'd still need some time off, I think, to make a great U2 record."

U2, whose latest album is 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, wrap up their four-night-stand at the ACC tomorrow night and head to Chicago.

At their second show on Wednesday night, they were joined by Canadian producer Daniel Lanois on stage.

(c) Toronto Sun, 2005.

I wouldnt mind if they came back. I didnt get a chance to see them on either North American leg. I doubt they will though.

cbradfly1 said:
September 16, 2005

Source: Toronto Sun

Jane Stevenson

There's been some talk of U2 continuing their Vertigo tour after their last scheduled date on Dec. 19 in Portland.

But U2 guitarist the Edge told The Sun in a Canadian newspaper exclusive at the Air Canada Centre last weekend that nothing's been decided.

"At a certain point, we're going to have to get back and start thinking about the next record," said the 44-year-old guitarist, whose band plays the third of their four sold-out shows tonight at the ACC.

The Edge says he does write on the road but he's not as focused as when he's in one place.

"I do, but for every 10 songs I write there's probably only one that will end up going anywhere," he said.

"To start really getting into the material for the next record, it's going to take a lot of time off the road. There's a couple of things that I've done that I hear (and think), 'That's special, that's going to make the next record,' but I'd still need some time off, I think, to make a great U2 record."

U2, whose latest album is 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, wrap up their four-night-stand at the ACC tomorrow night and head to Chicago.

At their second show on Wednesday night, they were joined by Canadian producer Daniel Lanois on stage.

(c) Toronto Sun, 2005.

Yup, unfortunately for Axver, et al., I have a feeling they'll squirrel themselves away for a little while and make another album----then tour NZ, Australia, etc. with that one, and maybe only 1 stadium leg in US & another in Europe. We'll just have to wait and see!

Here's what's gonna happen:

The tour will end after the third leg. 4 years will pass (they'll do a few obscure things here and there, mostly Bono appearing together with other artists, and they'll release the Milan DVD next year). Then we'll finally see a new album and a new tour.

Here's what is gonna happen:

U2 will tour Australia / New Zealand / Japan because there is money there.

U2, and it hurts me to type this, will not tour South America because they are a bunch of greedy bastards...

And I hope with all my heart to be proved wrong.

Agree with U2Man.

U2 isn't going to release an album in the spring. Their strongest-selling albums (JT excepted) have come in the fall -- R&H, AB, ATYCLB, HTDAAB. Pop was intended to be a fall 96 release, but was infamously pushed back. Zooropa is the only album to intentionally buck this trend in the last 18 years.

Fall makes sense to release a new album. Get through the pre-release hype, the Christmas rush, then launch the tour in the spring and have almost a full year to flog the album to the masses.

So whatever new album comes next will most likely be a fall album. The interview posted sure seems to show reticence on Edge's part about any rushing back into the studio.

So I'm guessing fall 07. At the earliest.

nathan1977 said:

The interview posted sure seems to show reticence on Edge's part about any rushing back into the studio.

I actually think it shows more of an eagerness to get back and work on the stuff he's come up with so far. Especially these parts:

"At a certain point, we're going to have to get back and start thinking about the next record,"......
The Edge says he does write on the road but he's not as focused as when he's in one place......"To start really getting into the material for the next record, it's going to take a lot of time off the road........... 'That's special, that's going to make the next record,' but I'd still need some time off, I think, to make a great U2 record."

...though I do agree that anything new won't come out 'til at least Fall '07. We'll be held over in Fall '06 with the U2 by U2 book and the rumored DVD boxed set.

I think U2 will have to put something out in the next 2 years. There not getting any younger and the demand is there. The next step though would be to take a different direction. They really can't use the 4 guys in a room/rock n roll record. A new producer would help. But U2 really doesn't care for using different producers. Maybe U2 should just produce there own album.

I don't think they know yet what they want to do next year. The ballpark rumour was not started by fans but from a well placed source in the Red Sox organization. It was printed in the Boston Globe which has strong contacts with and whose parent company owns the Red Sox. I think the rumour is real; that they are at least considering extending the tour, that's not to they will extend it however.

I can tell you that The Boston Globe hopes they come. They noted that U2 would play Boston's Fenway Park next year. All that this Liberal 'Dan Rather Can Do No Wrong' newspaper needs is another bit of failed and blatantly untrue reporting.

And if an entire stadium tour isn't in the offing, I can't see U2 coming to do a one-off show at little Fenway Park.

Chris in NH

U2@NYC said:
Here's what is gonna happen:

U2 will tour Australia / New Zealand / Japan because there is money there.

If there was, I think dates would already be announced.
They've lost too much money in the past here, and are scared of that happening again.

While that maybe true, we've already missed out on Elevation, its a bit unfair for us to miss out on 2 tours in a row.

bono_man2002 said:

If there was, I think dates would already be announced.

Not true. In fact, it would be remarkable if they had been announced now.

Even in January it would still be realistic to announce dates for here in March.

Axver said:

Not true. In fact, it would be remarkable if they had been announced now.

Yeah you're right.
But at least we could have speculation like with the US dates.
We only have your sources (which I'm not saying are wrong) saying March.

I just want something Official, a Yes or No.

NHChris said:
I can tell you that The Boston Globe hopes they come. They noted that U2 would play Boston's Fenway Park next year. All that this Liberal 'Dan Rather Can Do No Wrong' newspaper needs is another bit of failed and blatantly untrue reporting.

And if an entire stadium tour isn't in the offing, I can't see U2 coming to do a one-off show at little Fenway Park.

Chris in NH

Obviously they would not do one show at fenway; it would have to be part of a tour.

Your comments about the Boston Globe are surprising; following U2 and attacking a newspaper for being liberal are a bit incongruent, but thats for another thread . . .

U2 have been on a four year cycle for the last 15 years with albums/tours and alll I can see is this stretching out to 5 or 6 years as they get older and have more other stuff in their lives outside of the band, and lets be honest they aint getting any younger.

They dont need to do anything ever again if they dont want to. There legacy and fortunes are safe for there children and their children.

In fact lets be honest the saying "treat them mean keep them keen" means when your in U2's league the less you do the more mystery and respect you seem to get in the music biz, look at Pearl Jam and I cant beleive the how the media are going on about the new Kate Bush album, 12 years since her last album. People can get sick of you, I like the four year cycle anyway I want U2 to be special the media and fans can get sick of you if you dont control your exposure. Its about quality not quantity.

I think they should tour Aus and NZ but I know they wont, lets look at this logically.

The population of Austaralia is 20.5 million and New Zealand is 4 million. Thats 25 million in total possible punters. Thats just a bit bigger population than Texas and how many dates did they do in Texas only two and they were passing through, I know the demand is there and they could probably play a month of shows in Dallas and Sidney, but they dont. I just cant see them flying all their stuff 25 hours from Dublin to do 6-8 shows. Sorry guys.

Gabster2004 said:
Thats just a bit bigger population than Texas and how many dates did they do in Texas only two and they were passing through, I know the demand is there and they could probably play a month of shows in Dallas

Only one Dallas show makes me sad.

We could have sold out 3 I bet

following U2 and attacking a newspaper for being liberal are a bit incongruent. . . [/B]

That makes NO sense. If you like BMWs but hate spinach, you want someone telling you how incongruent that is??

I was watching a telecast of a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game a couple of weeks ago, and the announcers mentioned that U2 was looking into booking PNC park for next summer, and that PNC was likely going to turn them down because concerts were too rough on the field.

Back
Top Bottom