so did the band play yahweh or party girl....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stevec said:

Perhaps your issue is just not as big an issue for those people? After all, their opinion may or may not differ from yours - who's to say?

I don't think calling them fools is appropriate.

Your right I shouldn't have said that & removed it.

Imarocker said:

maybe you should try it. just because he has more of a band means nothing. On his current solo tour he changes the set list EACH night. I plan on seeing Bruce & the band plenty when they tour in the next few months.
why should i try it when i dont even like springsteen?

seriously who cares if he changes it? i dont,

and of course it matters how many he has up on stage, U2 have to count on numourous people "underground" to keep the synths in time etc where BS can just say right were going to do this now

Imarocker said:

"after seeing 4 shows in May, where I did get to hear different songs"
so there you answerd your own question

"where i did get to hear different songs"

Imarocker said:

I don't see the experience being different when 90% of the show is the same as the last one I saw in Boston on 5/28

I was at that show too :).

The feather boa and "playing the tart", bringing out the "U2 Day" big certificate - "Larry loves this kind of stuff" :lol:.

It's little things like that that make the experience different for me. But that's just me :shrug:.

kellyahern said:
Even with the same setlist, the experience is different at each show.

I don't care if someone calls me a fool. I'll be there, having a great time, and they won't. No big deal.

:up:
My friends said that before I flew over to the US to see them "wont they play the same set each night?" .....my reply was "Yeah....But I dont really care"

Turns out I didnt get the EXACT same set each night. And My Jaw definitly droped at the begining of Anahiem I....with LAPOE opening.

Listening to bootlegs with the same set gets a bit boring, but when you are there its totally diffrent...when somone complains about the same set, and they weren't even at the show....what should it matter?

Imarocker said:
Yes but read the rest...the 2nd leg is the same every other night.

U2 and Stadium shows tend to go that way....look at Zoo TV and PopMart.

And As I posted just above....some of us aren't going to the shows...so why even care what they play?

bono_man2002 said:

U2 and Stadium shows tend to go that way....look at Zoo TV and PopMart.

And As I posted just above....some of us aren't going to the shows...so why even care what they play?

I feel bad that some of you aren't getting any shows, but you never know, maybe they'll head to your country after the holidays.
Keep the faith.

Imarocker said:
yes and read my other post, the reason for the sets being the same is simple, U2 havent been doing many multiple nights in the same citys, or even the same country in many cases

Imarocker said:

I feel bad that some of you aren't getting any shows, but you never know, maybe they'll head to your country after the holidays.
Keep the faith.

Thanks, I'm one of the lucky ones who could afford to go over to the US and see them (Saw the first 6 shows + 1 Rehersal, get sad everytime I say that....Cause I had a ball)

Its those unlucky ones who can't afford, can't get time off work or whatever to go over and see their favourite band in another country because they hired some stupid acountant.
And I thought it wasnt about the money? /End U2 Accountant Rant (sometimes you wouldnt know I love the band)

Imarocker said:

I don't really want to get into the middle and certainly don't want to take sides, but there is maybe one valid point that is being overlooked perhaps?

The majority of people U2 are playing to each night are different, with only a small amount, relatively speaking, who are attending multiple shows. To that majority, they are hearing a setlist that is appropriate to the tour. I.E., a large section of HTDAAB songs, with the remainder made up of previous albums. (I know- no Pop, no Zooropa)

Therefore, most people are hearing a setlist that they've never heard before. It's probably fair to say that a large amount of concert-goers, aren't even aware there is an ongoing discussion here about setlist variety (or lack thereof).

The ultimate downside of being an Interferencer, is perhaps knowing too much about the tour in terms of setlists and not seeing a variety.

Imarocker said:

Keep the faith.

Yeah I really hope the southern hemisphere gets a chance on this tour!

stevec said:

I don't really want to get into the middle and certainly don't want to take sides, but there is maybe one valid point that is being overlooked perhaps?

The majority of people U2 are playing to each night are different, with only a small amount, relatively speaking, who are attending multiple shows. To that majority, they are hearing a setlist that is appropriate to the tour. I.E., a large section of HTDAAB songs, with the remainder made up of previous albums. (I know- no Pop, no Zooropa)

Therefore, most people are hearing a setlist that they've never heard before. It's probably fair to say that a large amount of concert-goers, aren't even aware there is an ongoing discussion here about setlist variety (or lack thereof).

The ultimate downside of being an Interferencer, is perhaps knowing too much about the tour in terms of setlists and not seeing a variety.

Good point. That was me for the last tour. I went to the 2nd to last show and didn't even know what the setlist was going to be, so I didn't care if it was different than previous nights. I got tickets because U2 was a good band and the show was on a Saturday night.

And after that night the obsession began . . . :shifty:

I'm not knocking the band at all either, I think they are great live. Its just that I can't see spending alot of money to see pretty much the same show. As far as the majority of the audience being "new" I don't believe that especially when they're playing stadiums. just reading some of the posts on this site shows how many go to multiple shows. If that's what you want to do fine, go ahead, I would just like to see more variety for my money.

:rockon:

Imarocker said:
I'm not knocking the band at all either, I think they are great live. Its just that I can't see spending alot of money to see pretty much the same show. As far as the majority of the audience being "new" I don't believe that especially when they're playing stadiums. just reading some of the posts on this site shows how many go to multiple shows. If that's what you want to do fine, go ahead, I would just like to see more variety for my money.

:rockon:
the internet is actually a VERY small minority when it comes to U2, so many that go to the shows now are either going for the first time, havent followed the setlists on the internet etc

and the comment about seeing more variety for your money, no disrespect U2 dont tell ANYONE to goto more than one show, so you cant blame them for that

Imarocker said:
As far as the majority of the audience being "new" I don't believe that especially when they're playing stadiums.

Not sure if that was in response to my comments, but I should clarify what I mean if it is.

I didn't mean new fans of U2 as being the majority, I meant that most (new or old) were probably seeing just that one show they attended, as opposed to travelling with the tour from city to city. We here, are in reality, only a small representation of the fan base and of the concert-goers.

God knows I don't want to set off a 'new fan' versus 'hardcore' arguement :wink:

stevec said:

Not sure if that was in response to my comments, but I should clarify what I mean if it is.

I didn't mean new fans of U2 as being the majority, I meant that most (new or old) were probably seeing just that one show they attended, as opposed to travelling with the tour from city to city. We here, are in reality, only a small representation of the fan base and of the concert-goers.

God knows I don't want to set off a 'new fan' versus 'hardcore' arguement :wink:
you saying am not hardcore because i only went to 1 show? :mad:

just kidding, i know what your saying

stevec said:
i tell you, same setlist or not i would have loved to have gone to more, but time of work etc it just couldnt be done :( i wish i could though

and for the record i actually like the set no matter what anyone says so :p :lock: :lmao:

KUEFC09U2 said:
i tell you, same setlist or not i would have loved to have gone to more, but time of work etc it just couldnt be done :( i wish i could though

and for the record i actually like the set no matter what anyone says so :p :lock: :lmao:

Yeah time off and money (MAJOR future commitments) were the problem. Caught Elevation at Manchester in '01 and the atmosphere among the Mancs was brilliant, so I would loved to have done that again.

Having said that, I think I met met more fellow Scots than I did Mancs :wink:

stevec said:

Yeah time off and money (MAJOR future commitments) were the problem. Caught Elevation at Manchester in '01 and the atmosphere among the Mancs was brilliant, so I would loved to have done that again.

Having said that, I think I met met more fellow Scots than I did Mancs :wink:
oh right you went to hamden? what was it like? i loved every minute of the manchester show, even rated it above the second manc show on the elevation tour,

only downside was getting in(nearly a riot as you will have heard) and then when we got in, we were 4 rows back from the barrier (again due to our position in line we should have been in the enclosure but never) and then a group of about 10 pissed up idiots decided to push in and squash everybody, so we ended up moving to by the mixing desk

KUEFC09U2 said:
oh right you went to hamden? what was it like? i loved every minute of the manchester show, even rated it above the second manc show on the elevation tour,

only downside was getting in(nearly a riot as you will have heard) and then when we got in, we were 4 rows back from the barrier (again due to our position in line we should have been in the enclosure but never) and then a group of about 10 pissed up idiots decided to push in and squash everybody, so we ended up moving to by the mixing desk

We totally chanced our arm at the enclosure (not bomb shelter sadly), having arrived at about 5.30pm. Luckily security were very cool, so we got in and were about 25/30 feet from the left-hand b stage. I even managed to bump into an old mate of mine, who I haven't seen in 4 years!

With 'I Still Haven't Found' and 'Wild Horses' thrown into the mix, the concert was a dazzler performance-wise.

Some magic moments include:

A vid wall panel falling out, then being dragged back in by its cable as it dangled above the PA stack. Technology eh?

Bono getting too close to Edge for Edge's comfort while dancing around him, earning him a playful slap on the face from him. Edge spent the rest of the song giggling, as did most of us who were quick enough to catch it.

Bono being given a couple of helium filled balloons, then letting them drift into the twilight skies as the screens came to life for 'Miracle Drug'. That was really nice.

Sore feet and no voice for 2 or 3 days, but well worth it Kevin!

(Was at Manchester 1 for Elevation myself, which ended very abruptly at the end of 'One'. Tech problems.)

kellyahern said:

Once during a setlist party, one of the zootopians got mad that we were using them for a setlist source and they hid the setlist. I think it was U2Dork who suggested we challenge them to a dance off :giggle:.

Aaaah the Interference/Zootppia japery continues eh? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom