Snippet-Free Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was thinking the other day if Streets has ever had a snippet. I could only think of the bible verse in 2001 slight arrangement changes.

Are there other u2 songs that are routinely played that NEVER feature any kind of snippetting?

u2fp

There was one show this year with an All You Need Is Love snippet at the end of Streets, and my favourite ever Streets has William Wordsworth's Resolution And Independence snippeted during the intro.

Songs like Party Girl, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Zoo Station, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses haven't had snippets.

I will follow i don't think has.

City of Blinding Lights
Elevation.
Miracle Drug
Zoo station
Discoteque (Unless you count staring at the sun)
All i Want is you (has been a snippet often enough though)
Running to Stand STill
Van Diemens Land

Thats a fwe i can think of off top of my head

I've got thsi suspicion that bads had a few though :p

Miricale_Drug said:
I will follow i don't think has.

City of Blinding Lights
Elevation.
Miracle Drug
Zoo station
Discoteque (Unless you count staring at the sun)
All i Want is you (has been a snippet often enough though)
Running to Stand STill
Van Diemens Land

Thats a fwe i can think of off top of my head

I've got thsi suspicion that bads had a few though :p

Elevation had, of all songs, Hot In Herre at a UK gig this year, and snippets such as Creep and In God's Country on Elevation. 40 has had snippets back in the eighties, such as Give Peace A Chance and the Band Aid song. Discotheque was Popmart's snippet-fest, with some performances having upwards of three snippets, such as Can't Stand The Rain, Life During Wartime, Stayin' Alive, The Fly, and Whole Lotta Love. All I Want Is You has featured Sexual Healing, and Running To Stand Still has included songs such as Dirty Old Town, Amazing Grace, and Walk On.

Elevation also had Bono botching the lyrics to Da Ya Think I'm Sexy from the 9/21 Chicago show

it was pretty funny

Don't know about this tour, but Running To Stand Still has had snippets in the past.

Dirty Old Town Snippet :drool: :drool: :drool:

"We've been waiting all day for you" thing in An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart? I Will Follow had a snippet of something in Gothenburg iirc

Elevation had snippets of The Doors "Light My Fire" and John Lennon's "Instant Karma"

As far as I know Gone has never featured a snippet.

Oh, and Bad.

I will stake money on this claim: "Bad" has never, ever, without hyperbole or exaggeration, ever featured a snippet of any kind, be it a complete verse or a single lyric. Never.

If you can prove me wrong I'll eat my hat!

Have Yahweh/ABOY ever had snippets?

Even Better/Mysterious Ways?

Stuck/Sometimes/Kite?

I Will Follow had a "Ring Those Bells" snippet on the Boston DVD.

RRTS - are the 'hallelujah' parts a snippet?

u2fp

Clawgrabber said:
Elevation had snippets of The Doors "Light My Fire" and John Lennon's "Instant Karma"

As far as I know Gone has never featured a snippet.

Oh, and Bad.

I will stake money on this claim: "Bad" has never, ever, without hyperbole or exaggeration, ever featured a snippet of any kind, be it a complete verse or a single lyric. Never.

If you can prove me wrong I'll eat my hat!

How about the snippet of 40 after Bad in the Boston DVD?

Y2K said:

How about the snippet of 40 after Bad in the Boston DVD?

I think he was being sarcastic.

At least I hope so :huh: Otherwise I'd have to start listing all sorts of snippets that have been played after Bad. There are dozens.:|

I've got an '85 boot from Bologna, Italy that has a version of Party Girl that goes on forever with lots of additional lyrics. Not sure if they're actual snippets of other songs or just Bono making them up as he goes along. In fact that whole concert, as I recall has a lot of snippet/added lyrics in it. One of my favorite UF boots.

Last edited:
Nisse said:
"We've been waiting all day for you" thing in An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart? I Will Follow had a snippet of something in Gothenburg iirc

That ACD/ITH thing isn't a snippet, just something Bono occasionally sung. I particularly like the "tomorrow, wait for that day" version of it on 13 December 1981. I can't think of any I Will Follow snippets off the top of my head besides Bono's "ring those bells, Edge" story on Elevation, but hell, it's been played over 700 times, it has to have had a snippet sometime! And to whoever said UF Bologna's Party Girl, those are made-up lyrics. Some great stuff added to 40 at that show.

U2FanPeter said:
Have Yahweh/ABOY ever had snippets?

Even Better/Mysterious Ways?

Stuck/Sometimes/Kite?

I Will Follow had a "Ring Those Bells" snippet on the Boston DVD.

RRTS - are the 'hallelujah' parts a snippet?

u2fp

Yahweh had a snippet at a European show, I forget what it was exactly but 'Seven' was in the title. ABOY once had Mr Tambourine Man. Mysterious Ways has had quite a few, such as My Sweet Lord, Love To Love You Baby, and Sexual Healing. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for EBTTRT or Kite, and while I think Kite may not've had anything, I'm not so sure about EBTTRT. Stuck had all kinds of stuff such as When Will I See You Again and When I Get Home, and Sometimes has had No Regrets, Black Hills Of Dakota, Torna A Surriento, and one show in Chicago even had In A Little While snippeted at the start. The "hallelujah" part of RTSS isn't a snippet but it's had plenty of other snippets in the past.

In My Life was before Stuck in all the instances I can recall.

U2 have covered Neil Young's Southern Man in full - though Bono's ability to remember the lyrics has been dodgy at best! :lol:

Kite had a snippet of Somewhere Over The Rainbow at the first Antwerp gig (5 August 2001)
And Axver, I think the Yahweh snippet you referred to was 7 Seconds (by Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry)

Popmartijn said:
Kite had a snippet of Somewhere Over The Rainbow at the first Antwerp gig (5 August 2001)
And Axver, I think the Yahweh snippet you referred to was 7 Seconds (by Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry)

Ah, I didn't know about that Kite snippet, and yes, that's the Yahweh snippet I meant! Thanks! :up:

also, i swore i heard bono throw in a line of please at dc1. i think it was during btbs or sbs, i don't recall. just "please, get up off your knees"

i'll have to listen to the boot to double check.

bridonohue said:
axver, do you have a listing of snippets on your website anywhere? or the ones used on the vertigo tour?

Yep, right here. :)

And Please has been snippeted regularly in Bullet, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a line at the DC show. I was listening via phone but the quality was too bad to make anything out.

Let's see if this list is concise....

Cat Dubh
Zoo Station
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Please
Mofo
Even Better
Last Night On Earth
Until The End Of The World(?)
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
any song sung by Edge
love Is Blindness(?)
Pride(?)
New Years Day(?)
Gone

There's more...

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Cat Dubh
Zoo Station
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Please
Mofo
Even Better
Last Night On Earth
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
any song sung by Edge
love Is Blindness(?)
Pride(?)
New Years Day(?)
Gone

There's more...

u2fp

lnoe had bruces jersey girl at popmart nyc

U2FanPeter said:

There's more...

u2fp

UTEOTW had a snippet of Two Tribes (by Frankie Goes To Hollywood) a few times.

Back
Top Bottom