Six shows and no "Bad"...What's up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
We've already seen six shows come and go without one " Bad"!!!
What's up with that????
I predict at least one "Bad" in Croke and hopefully some more along the way. I am desperate to see "Bad" on the third leg - a bit obsessed really. Oh well, just a little worried that's all.

it took the band till april 16th to play "Bad" on the 1st leg. this tour, the song will be more of a suprise here and there, which i don't mind.

I would be very surprised if it is not played at Croker. It may not be played at all 3 concerts, mind.

Agreed, I think it may wear down Bono's voice if they played it every night... the versions I've heard have been stunning though, so I think whenever they DO play it they give it 110%. Makes it more special that way.

BAD will appear this weekend
and hopefully 40.
i will be really pissed if we get this vertigo twice crap for more than one of the nights.
why dont they just finish with it and start with something else? i agree the light show at the end is really good.

there are very strict curfew laws in UK and if they played bad it usually lasts inbetween 8-10 mins so this would be 2 songs so i think this might be why

Surely they can't play Vertigo 6X in Dublin :mad:

Bad has to make its euro debut there...please, lads, save it for nights 2 + 3:wink:

last week in Manchester was 5th time seeing them and still to see them perform Bad.

Gutted about it.

Glasgow tomorrow night would be great to hear/see it finally, but not holding out much hope.

Wild Horses would be welcome tho if no bad!!

Vertigo

for those bitching about them playing Vertigo twice- have any of you been to one of these shows? If you haven't then quit complaining until you've actually been there to see how it works- they did at Twickers on Sunday and it was amazing- the whole crowd just went mad when they launched into it again in the encore- they certainly wouldn't have got that reaction with a 10 minute snoozefest of Bad

like it or not that's what U2 are doing on the European tour- personally I thought it was great, but each to their own I guess

Not being a fan of Bad I can quite happily live without ever hearing it live again, wouldn't mind hearing 40 but if I get the same set as Twick 2 at either of the Dublin shows then I'll be more than happy

remember if the idea of hearing Vertigo twice is that awful then people are free to leave the show before it gets played again

Re: Vertigo

djparky said:
for those bitching about them playing Vertigo twice- have any of you been to one of these shows? If you haven't then quit complaining until you've actually been there to see how it works- they did at Twickers on Sunday and it was amazing- the whole crowd just went mad when they launched into it again in the encore- they certainly wouldn't have got that reaction with a 10 minute snoozefest of Bad

like it or not that's what U2 are doing on the European tour- personally I thought it was great, but each to their own I guess

Not being a fan of Bad I can quite happily live without ever hearing it live again, wouldn't mind hearing 40 but if I get the same set as Twick 2 at either of the Dublin shows then I'll be more than happy

remember if the idea of hearing Vertigo twice is that awful then people are free to leave the show before it gets played again

when you are actually at the show, when they launch back into vertigo at the end it's amazing! it brought the house down in manchester, esp with the lights at the end
:drool:

I think I'd love to hear the VertigoX2 set, but then I already was lucky enough to experience Bad:drool:
I don't know that it would have made any dream setlist for me in the past, and though I've liked the song quite well, hearing it live is indeed amazing!
I'd guess too it would appear for at least a show in Dublin on this leg, if not more often. Maybe works better in the 'intimate':wink: arena vs stadium though?
cheers all...

funny how they've played this song so many times live, and I've seen them 6 times now live and they haven't done it once when I've gone.

Re: Re: Vertigo

1stepcloser said:

when you are actually at the show, when they launch back into vertigo at the end it's amazing! it brought the house down in manchester, esp with the lights at the end
:drool:

I posted a question a couple of days ago and nobody(as far as I know) gave me a satisfying answer.
Here we go again: Would Vertigo be any less special when they would play it at the end of the set while not having played it as the first song...I realy don't get it why people are enthousiastic over a song(any song) twice. What I HATE about it is that you know the show is over( I hate that with every concert of a band with simular setlists) if you attended mancheste twice you got Vertigo 4 times and no OOTS, UTEOTW, BAD still no Gloria..
It's fine if everybody's jumping because Vertigo get's played but I don't think the crowd would be less estatic if they played I will follow in the beginning instead of Vertigo for instance..Again: The boys have 2 hours to make the perfect show and I still feel it's a complete waste of time to play a song twice. Even if they would play streets twice it would be ridiculous and THAT IS a classic..

And please stop with this you would have to be there to understand. I'm sure everybody has agreat time and Vertigo is a nice stadiumrocker but that';s not the point. The band has a great collection of songs and it is inexcusable to me that they "forget" certain songs in order to play a "spontanic" Vertigo again.

Don;t want to bitch too much because I'm REALLY looking forward to the Amsterdam shows but what annoys me is that no one comes up with a good reason..

Have a nice day everyone:wink:

Maybe you should ask the band if you need an answer that will satisfy you?

But let me try and help you: maybe the band likes to open and close the gig with a NEW song that is, at this point of the tour, very special to them? Given the audience reaction I can see why it's special to them. Imagine you would be in a band and after 25 years you can still come up with such a stadium crowd pleaser! I think I would act the same as the band does at this point of the tour.

yeah i hate how people say you had to be there, vertigo at the end rocks, the people go crazy for it!

well fine then, move aboy to the opener, throw in a song like mofo or dirty day or please or last night on earth into the encore and then close with vertigo and wouldnt that rock even more??

vertigo twice is cool when its a random spotaneous thing that the band does when they're feeling it. when its planned its pretty lame. if you like closing with it, thats cool, then do that. just move something else into the opening slot so it makes room for another song.

Chizip said:
yeah i hate how people say you had to be there, vertigo at the end rocks, the people go crazy for it!

well fine then, move aboy to the opener, throw in a song like mofo or dirty day or please or last night on earth into the encore and then close with vertigo and wouldnt that rock even more??

vertigo twice is cool when its a random spotaneous thing that the band does when they're feeling it. when its planned its pretty lame. if you like closing with it, thats cool, then do that. just move something else into the opening slot so it makes room for another song.

Glad I'm not alone on this one. :wink:

I was at Manchester. Vertigo II rocked i agree, even more than Vertigo I. Still don't agree with it. In fact as a 20 year fan I'm really pissed off. Its a rip-off. Its bullshit. Anti-climatic. Self-indulgent bollocks. Start with something else. And stop sticking to this crap 2 hour limit - if they decide to play this then we must drop that etc etc.
an cat dubh/bad/40/gloria/control.
If this weekends setlists in Dublin dont get shaken up then they can go fuck off.

Vertigo rocks at the end of the show, but still...."Bad" would still beat it out. Especially after hearing the Chicago 5-12 recording.

brwh1 said:
I was at Manchester. Vertigo II rocked i agree, even more than Vertigo I. Still don't agree with it. In fact as a 20 year fan I'm really pissed off. Its a rip-off. Its bullshit. Anti-climatic. Self-indulgent bollocks. Start with something else. And stop sticking to this crap 2 hour limit - if they decide to play this then we must drop that etc etc.
an cat dubh/bad/40/gloria/control.
If this weekends setlists in Dublin dont get shaken up then they can go fuck off.

HELL YEAH :rockon:

RademR said:
Vertigo rocks at the end of the show, but still...."Bad" would still beat it out. Especially after hearing the Chicago 5-12 recording.

Glad I was there :drool:

RademR said:

lucky bastard :wink:
great performance of "Bad," it kept going and going....

Luck has nothing to do with it :wink: travelling to Chicago from Amsterdam got somethnig to do with it...man I was sooooo tired when my brother and I got back from New York, we took the train form chicago to new york in 23 hours or something..next day I had to work again...fell asleep during a meeting...:rockon:

RademR said:

lucky bastard :wink:
great performance of "Bad," it kept going and going....

yep very special. it would make a great ending for one of the Dublin shows. then '40' on another night, and then they could be forgiving for this vertigo business on the third night!

VERTIGO
ALL BECAUSE
ELECTRIC CO / FOLLOW / CONTROL
GLORIA
ELEVATION
BEAUT DAY
STILL HAVENT FOUND
WILD HORSES / ALL I WANT
MIRACLE
SOMETIMES
LAPOE
SBS
BULLET
RUNNING
PRIDE
STREETS
ONE
COBL (for the lights) / ZOO STATION
UTEOTW
FLY / WOUT YOU / MYST WAYS
VERTIGO (if they really want to)
YAHWEH
40 or BAD

there are enough options already there from the American leg to have variety.
Plenty of songs are rehearsed and ready to go
11 O CLOCK needs a day out aswell.

I think it's great that they gave Bad a rest......you know it's coming back at some point, but when? So it's even more special when you do hear it. It's a real suprise.

I saw one show this tour and Bad closed it out. :wink:

vertigo is not "special"
its a stadium song for sure but its a bit cheesy and formulaeic for my liking

i left during yaweh at twickenham 2 cause after manchester you know vertigo is coming again and id rather get to the tube station quickly than hear a song for the 6th time!

also why dont they drop bullet the blue sky...the song isnt played with much emotion this tour, edges best guitar bits are left off, it needs a rest

the simple fact is they arent varying the set list enough
they have a huge list of songs such as stay which they havent played in abit

dropped love and peace now
its a rubbish song and always will be
put bad in there instead and we can lose bonos drummer boy bit

bad was voted no1 U2 song by Dublin station 98fm a few years ago. I would be very surprised if it doesn't make an appearance and my guess would be the third night as the first two nights are more international audiences...but the third night was almost exclusively sold to people in Ireland.

I'll be at the first night...so of course I'd love to hear it then!

Back
Top Bottom