sidestage curse & single seat blessing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
When I found my under-priced, single-seat, side-stage ticket on EBAY, I was so pumped. In the past, I have absolutely loved side-stage seats. However, I ended up being less than pleased.

Even though the people in my row were extremely friendly, and I loved chatting up the single-seater next to me (at his first U2 show) with some of my impressions of this tour and memories of past ones, all that yumminess changed when the show began.

First, the curtains of light do not work side-stage: you don't get their intended impact and they obstruct your view of the band.

Worse, I quickly realized that I was *in one of the few sections in the whole arena where people wanted to sit.* Now there is one thing worse than people who want to sit at U2 concerts--it's people who want to sit at U2 concerts and viciously, verbally attack people who want to dance. By Vertigo, I was getting so many bad vibes, I left my seat to go to the "landing" at the bottom of my section (where security would get me if the fans didn't get me first). And people were still buggin' me. After a moment's panic that my ridiculously self-indulgent pilgrimage was about to be ruined, I left that section.

My hope was: even in this packed arena, there must be an empty single seat, or at worst, an aisle where the security/usher is too into the music to harass me. I soon found my miracle a few sections down, in the second row of the upper bowl, on the aisle, in an empty seat, with a perfect angle to see the whole stage and the band. And people in that section were *all standing, screaming, singing along, and dancing as proper U2 fans should.*

From where I was I could actually see the section I left, and I everytime I glanced over there (not too often since my eyes were usually on the band and the lovely people around me and those lucky souls inside the bomb shelter hopping up and down like teenagers), those folks were still sitting.

So, I had the best time, and those poor *sitters* (who did not realize what a full-on mind-body-spirit experience they were missing) did not have their mellow harshed on by a long-haired, middle-aged fanatic flailing and testifying and blissfully becoming one with the music.

love, Anu

Thats really great. I'm happy you got that spot. I agree there is nothing worse than sitting for a rock show! I don't get it. I don't think there is one concert I want to go to where I would want to sit! I can "sit" anywhere else and listen to the music, so when the opportunity comes to see the band live - STAND UP!!! ENJOY IT! So many artists find it as a sign of respect for people to stand. The band is up there giving it there all - not sitting mind you, so to not stand is just wrong in my mind. Of course there are exceptions to that. If someone physically couldnt stand for a show, or something like that, then no worries, but to the people who could almost care less to be there, don't give a bad vibe. I remember being at a David Gray show a couple years ago, I was so happy to be there 3 rows from the stage. The show starts, and a bunch of us stand, but most everyone sits, and yells at us to sit! And would only stand when babylon was played. That gets me crazy. We even had security come down and tell us to sit or we would have to leave. I said its everyone's right to sit or stand whatever you want to do. If you are going to force me out. I want a full refund in cash. The security left, and never came back. I just love to enjoy a concert in its fullest I guess.

Last edited:
Anu said:

Worse, I quickly realized that I was *in one of the few sections in the whole arena where people wanted to sit.* Now there is one thing worse than people who want to sit at U2 concerts--it's people who want to sit at U2 concerts and viciously, verbally attack people who want to dance.

I could never understand this. I can see if a couple of people have to sit because of back problems or something but when the whole section sits and harrasses the people that are standing, well, nothing pisses me off more than that. My saying is "If you want to sit, then go to a damn movie, this is a concert".

Once I was at a Peter Gabriel concert with a friend. We had nosebleeds but still, we were happy to be there. At the beginning of the show, we were standing up and dancing and signing, when this woman behind us tapped on my shoulder and asked me if i could sit down. I told her " Sorry, but this is a rock concert, if you want to sit down it's your problem but don't expect me to do the same."

She was not happy, but we didn't care. If anyone dares to tell me I have to sit down at U2 concert they'll be in trouble!

I had a similar experience on Sunday nite.....
Sooooo mom and I got to our seats which were imo the best you could have if you were upper level, side stage Edge side, 10th row. So we are sitting there thru Kings with my mom wanting earplugs lol and I was standing a little during the break before U2 just checking out the scene when the girl behind me sais "you are going to sit down when the show starts so I can see right?" And I say uhmmmmm when U2 starts noone sits down. So she was on my nerves already....so I decided to beg mom to get adventurous with me and see if we can find a better spot She comes with me and noone checks our stubs so we cruise right into the lower level below us and end up in the 16th row side stage some of the best seats in the house....it was basically like an entrance but no security came over for the 1st 45 minutes!! So it was awesome to see the show from here. However, during The Cry - Electric Co., An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart I was SOOOOOO dissapointed to see much of this lower section SO close to the stage SITTING DOWN!!!!!!
Anyways so 45 minutes in during MD they asked us to leave (It was still worth the 45 minutes tho!) and we go back up to our seats. Guys, devastating!!!! These people sat down for 80% of the rest of the show!!!! I stood up the whole time and thank God the couple next to me, but otherwise for real, I couldnt believe these people!!! When they announced they were gonna do OOTS for the 1st time I started FREAKIN and everyone sat down immediately and hardly even clapped!
The behind the stage people looked like the most excited and happy bunch next time if I cant get floor I would go for those seats!!!
Anyways the show for me was awesome but nothin like being on that floor front row on Saturday :)

Reading this is making me appreciate my GA's a bit more...I was a bit disappointed with the lottery, but in reality it is still better than hanging with the frumps in section 148 that sit.

KEEP YOUR FLOOR SEATS cmb.
I had great luck on Saturday and found myself on the rail outside the ellipse, but even if I hadnt been in that incredible spot, Im SURE I would have preferred standing on the floor by the soundboard then in any of the seats. As I said about Sunday, both in the lower level AND upper level sections SIDE Stage which were I think the best seats in the house, the crowd absolutely sucked and was DEAD. And it wasn’t all older folks, we are talking young and all ages, and also these people showed NO expression!!!

Ugh. This is my biggest fear. This will be my first U2 concert and my first concert where I couldn't get GA's. I don't understand how people can sit down during a concert. Isn't that the whole purpose for going? To have fun with a crowd of like minded people? You can sit on your couch and listen to the cd or watch a concert on dvd. Acutally being there is supposed to be a different type of experience altogether!

Sam

Jeez.. what is wrong with people :huh:

Maybe I wll keep my floor tickets to Oakland after all.. sigh.

I will just ask the person complaining behind me to switch seats with me so I can SCREAM in their ears all night long.:wink:

Anu,

I'm glad you got to enjoy the concert the way a U2 show should be enjoyed. I hope your journey rediscovering U2 continues with great personal reward for you.

beLIEve

wow! During Elevation, I didn't experience these sitters thru multiple shows. I sure hope the Chicago fans are up the WHOLE time. Luckily I have GA's to Chicago 2 and 4!!!! :drool:

Side Stage Experience

This is my worst nightmare. I have side stage at Key Arena in Seattle. 1st row starts row 9 and I am in row 18, seat 3 and 4. I also have seats 2 sections over that I am saving to give my step daughter, row 8. Am I going to have the same experience??? I sure hope not. Any other side stage out there with comments???

I went to see U2 in Albany with a buddy for the Elevation tour, and we instantly stood as the boys took the stage. The morose half-wits behind us exclaimed that we were blocking their view so I turned around, stared them down and simply told them that they were at a concert. They shut their traps for the rest of the show and remained humble. It was great.

My first U2 show was in Vegas in '92...we were 26th row on the floor and we had folding seats. Ever try to balance on one of those for two hours while dancing? Dangerous...but FUN!

Second show was side seats in Columbus in '97 (about 6th row). Stood and danced the whole time while downer couple next to us stood still, stoned, the whole time. BOO! But the guy in the silver jeans on the other side of us yelled for each song, as if each one was his favorite--he made my day!

Third show was Columbus '01--had two rows down from top of arena--nosebleeds if ever there was one. A girl behind us fell down two rows, luckily the big guy in the row in front of us stopped her fall...dancing on such a steep grade is dangerous--but, again, FUN!

This time around I have GAs...and I will be bouncing up and down the whole time.
I think people sit at concerts b/c they're embarassed to be seen having fun.
How sad...

obligatory simpsons quote:

Otto (during u2 concert): "Sit down... You're ruining it for the rest of us!"

I mean, really- its a freaking concert. I can't even fathom sitting, even if it was at a show of a band I wasn't all that into. It's also a sign of respect.

I've had this happen at a concert before as well. This huge guy wanted me to "sit my ass down". I was like I don't think so. I paid for the damn seat and theirs now law that says my ass has to be in it. Hello its a rock concert! Security rocked, they finally came and told the guy if he didn't leave me alone he would be ejected from the venue. mwhahahaha

This will be my first U2 concert and I plan on making the most of it. I have health issues, so I bought a seat that way I could sit if I needed a breather. I really would love to do GA, but sadly I don't think my body can handle standing that long. I don't want to become known as the fan who passed out at the concert. LOL My friend who will be with me is a total spit fire so if anyone mess with us, they better watch out. LOL

I was at Sunday's show too and the people around me sat for the whole show. We were behind the stage 2nd level directly behind Larry. Though I haven't been to a lot of U2 shows this is the first time I've seen people sit for the entire show. I sat for a few songs not wanting to upset the people behind me but, finally I just got up and danced for the rest of the night. I didn't care if I upset anybody. I just don't understand how you can go to a concert and sit the whole time.

The other kind of uncomfortable thing that happened that night was just as the Fly started. The guy in front of me started yelling at the guy next to me. I'm pretty sure he was saying he was going throw him over the rail or something like that. Kind of ruined the mood.

So, glad I have GA for Oakland

If people around me are peeved at me standing, dancing, jumping and yelling, they're just going to have to suck it up, because I didn't pay $160 to sit down for a U2 concert.

But yeah, I worry about it actually happening, because I'm kind of a wimp and hate confrontation. My friend going with me is less of a wimp, though, so hopefully she'll give them their what-for. :wink:

John Lennon used to say the people in the back always clap and cheer the loudest, the people in the front just dangle their jewelery. I have found this to be true for U2 concert. With the exception being GA sometimes the further up you sit, the more mellow the crowd is. Frequently, nosebleeders are the rowdiest seats.

ayearwome said:
wow! During Elevation, I didn't experience these sitters thru multiple shows. I sure hope the Chicago fans are up the WHOLE time. Luckily I have GA's to Chicago 2 and 4!!!! :drool:

Nope...didn't have that problem with me both times I went to see U2 at the United Center during the Elevation tour...I was sitting near some true U2 fans both times.

I had behind the stage seats for one of the Elevation Chicago shows and we were all standing and cheering!!!

For Vegas, I had Side View and we were all standing and cheering.

I have some shows that are side view and one behind the stage. I pray to God I don't have to deal with people sitting down during a u2 concert.

The only time I have had to deal with people behind me sitting is at a Fiona Apple concert. This was in a theatre in Louisville (The Palace, quite a nice one actually). We were Orchestra level and my whole row was standing. However, the family of old people (I would say old not to offend but they were in a lot older than us and they were only interested in Criminal. They kept complaining for her to play it).

Anyway, they kept yelling at my whole row. making fun of people in my row. Calling people fat ,etc. They even poured coke on my jacket.

They ask security to move them and well they get moved closer to the stage behind more people standing.

WTF!

some concerts you sit but not at a u2 concert and not at that Fiona concert.

u2valleygirl said:
John Lennon used to say the people in the back always clap and cheer the loudest, the people in the front just dangle their jewelery. I have found this to be true for U2 concert. With the exception being GA sometimes the further up you sit, the more mellow the crowd is. Frequently, nosebleeders are the rowdiest seats.

This is true. The reason why often sections close to the stage are less into the show is because people with connections get those tickets, and not fans. Also, the fact that U2 is selling the entire lower level at 160$ (an outrageous price IMO) means that many people with money will end up there, and they will not all be fans. There is an incredible amount of people who go see U2 just because they can, and not because they really want to. I know many. That's the showbusiness world to you...

Had seats for Coldplay at MSG a few years back in what happened to be the only section where everyone was sitting down. We tried to stand up during Yellow and were told by the guy behind us to sit down. :mad: It was if the section decided as a group that they wanted to sit down.

I had a similar experience at the Staples Center (4/6). My seat was at the side of the stage in the back. The whole section sat through the show. I couldn't believe it. :mad: However, they seemed enjoying the show. They cheered and clapped after each songs.

Well, I hope I'll be in a louder section next time. :wink:

I was in section 114, lower side stage- Edge's side Saturday night in San Jose. Standing room only as far as I could see, must have been a Sunday night thing...

:madspit: i hate sitters at concerts-its music- dance! have fun- kick up your heals! i had an experience recently at the key arena in seattle( rod stewart concert) and this snooty type old biddy told my daughter and myself to sit down because"she couldn't see a thing" so i politely invited her to stand also! she was only 50ish my god! I didn't complain about her husbands stench of cigar smoke when he returned many times from smoking.
anyhow- rod and his band really respond to the rowdier fans and will come to their side and kick soccer balls to them. my daughter was intimidated by this women so i just showed her all the people that were standing and how rod liked it! she finally stood and enjoyed herself. i spoke with rod's tour manager and her said they were having alot of problems with fans not standing and others complaining!
just do what you want- enjoy- don't let people steal that from you- they can stand(unless they are in a wheelchair- just sit on the slow songs!:wink: julianne

Back
Top Bottom