should u2 stop it with hamish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djerdap said:

Let me elaborate on that.
Imagine the stage design of ZooTV and Popmart in an early stage... only a skeleton.
It would look, just as Elevation & Vertigo, the same.
Yet the two tours are completely different.
You have a big main stage with a huge screen (or screens in the case of ZooTV) and a bridge that leads deeper into the audience with a B-stage at the end of it.
Elevation & Vertigo are the same case - a small main stage surrounded by a circled catwalk.
The only thing that seperates the two cases are the fact that the Elevation/Vertigo stage setup is a pretty original and unique way to present the stage.

I've watched Boston DVD and Chicago DVD in a row to compare the two tours.
They are almost the opposite. The stage skeleton and the lightning setup are the only thing these two have in common.
Vertigo is much more ambitious and heavier in terms of production (the ellipse is changing colors, the LED screens behind, the lights that surround the arena - only for the DVD, I know), but the overall message and mood are the show are the complete opposite of Elevation.
Elevation was about "soul", reapplying for the "best band in the world" job, hardly a rock show (with a few exceptions).
Vertigo is a dark, rock and roll, paranoid journey (a very personal one for Bono), where the real world is presented in a very truthful way. The setlist has a story and it deals with dark themes as losing innocence, death, war, poverty and the evil side of showbusiness.

So, yeah, Vertigo is far from being Elevation II in my book.
You've got to be kidding me! :laugh:

So you really believe that the 'skeleton' (as you call it) of Zoo-TV and Popmart are alike as the 'skeleton' of Elevation and Vertigo?

Please, if you come with these kind of arguments we should really stop discussing here..

The 'skeleton' of Zoo-TV was made out of green risers where Popmart was made from the usual Stageco trusses! I'm not even mentioning the difference concepts here!

The backbone of Vertigo is for 100% the same as it was on Elevation... For gods sake; even the bands clothes are the same!

Last edited:
Neilz said:
I'm very VERY sure that when I show Elevation Boston and right after that the Vertigo Chicago to a non-fan he would absolutely agree with me that the shows look very alike!

Well of course they would by looking at footage edited by the same director .....

trabantland said:
Well of course they would by looking at footage edited by the same director .....
Popmart Mexico and Zoo-TV Sydney are from the same director too (David Mallet)...

So you're saying that a non-fan wouldn't see the difference there aswel?? :huh:

I wasn't refering to the director really (although he repeated himself on Vertigo too) but to the similarity between Vertigo and Elevation... (where Popmart and Zoo-TV and practically every other tour of U2 have been really new and fresh compared to eachother)...

Neilz said:

Popmart Mexico and Zoo-TV Sydney are from the same director too (David Mallet)...

I wasn't refering to the director really (although he repeated himself on Vertigo too) but to the similarity between Vertigo and Elevation... (where Popmart and Zoo-TV and practically every other tour of U2 have been really new and fresh compared to eachother)...
people are allowed to think they look different, just as your allowed to think they look the same,

and why are there so many reviews on U2tours stating how they like the vertigo stage more than the elevation stage?

Neilz said:

No, you were on about the Vertigo/Elevation comparisons. So the Zoo TV/Popmart comparison is irrelevant.

Neilz said:
I wasn't refering to the director really (although he repeated himself on Vertigo too) but to the similarity between Vertigo and Elevation... (where Popmart and Zoo-TV and practically every other tour of U2 have been really new and fresh compared to each other)...

But you were referring to non-fans comparing the 2 recent tours on dvds. Basically, with Hamish's dvds, you cannot compare tours by watching his 2 "productions"

Yep, they need to go in a different direction if & when there is another DVD. What bugs me most is the out of focus "artsy" shots. Come on, if I wanted to see the show out of focus I would have left my contacts out.

trabantland said:
No, you were on about the Vertigo/Elevation comparisons. So the Zoo TV/Popmart comparison is irrelevant.
But you were saying that Elevation Boston and Vertigo Chicago look alike because of the fact that they're directed by the same person :eyebrow:

That's why I made the Popmart Mexico and Zoo-TV Sydney comparison.. They also had the same director but were two completely different concert registrations...

trabantland said:
But you were referring to non-fans comparing the 2 recent tours on dvds. Basically, with Hamish's dvds, you cannot compare tours by watching his 2 "productions"
You don't understand my point! Non-U2 fans are very able to compare U2's tours by watching the DVD's... They will easely see the big difference between Popmart Mexico and Zoo-TV Sydney (even though they were both directed by David Mallet) but won't see the difference between Elevation Boston and Vertigo Chicago... That has nothing to do with who directed it you know!

Furthermore; I only used this non-fan example to strengthen my point about the comparison's between the Elevation and Vertigo tour... We as fans sometimes don't (or don't want to) see these kind of things!
KUEFC09U2 said:
and why are there so many reviews on U2tours stating how they like the vertigo stage more than the elevation stage?
Because people (in general) are very naive!

Why are there so many reviews in U2tours stating that the show they've been to was the best U2 show ever?

Every honest U2 fan must who has seen U2 live on Zoo-TV and Popmart (or even before that) must be able to realize and acknoledge that Vertigo is a copy-paste of Elevation... Hell, even the band stated this themselves! There is noting new or fresh on concept of this show... This doesn't mean that it's a bad show of course (because that would mean that Elevation was bad too, and it wasn't)...

U2 (in my book anyways) is the band that comes up with new and fresh ideas, but didn't this time around... It's the first time since the very early 90's that U2 didn't surprise their audience with a fresh and clever stageshow... And that's a pitty really... I'm really hoping that U2 will come with something fresh next tour... They've embraced the stadium shows once again and may just come back with a giant Zoo-TV/Popmart U2 show! Cause even though Elevation was really (!) good, it was something that shouldn't have been repeated...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom