should u2 stop it with hamish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:
I haven't watched the DVD yet but don't tell me he fucked up Zoo Station!!!! SPECIALLY LARRY'S DRUMS!!!!! :rant: :censored:

i felt like he could have shown the screens a bit more during Zoo Station. they had really cool graphics where each band member would be shown individually with their hand over their heart, the image would morph from one band member to another. we never really saw that part at all, which is a shame.

Chizip said:

i felt like he could have shown the screens a bit more during Zoo Station. they had really cool graphics where each band member would be shown individually with their hand over their heart, the image would morph from one band member to another. we never really saw that part at all, which is a shame.
but even you have to admit he done some cool stuff with it, bono's shadow in the smoke etc

KUEFC09U2 said:
but even you have to admit he done some cool stuff with it, bono's shadow in the smoke etc

yeah, but going into the song all i was thinkign was i cant wait to see the cool screen stuff at the end. and then all we got was a small glimpse, so that was a bit of a let down.

but so im not a negative nelly, i think yahweh was done beautifully.

Chizip said:

yeah, but going into the song all i was thinkign was i cant wait to see the cool screen stuff at the end. and then all we got was a small glimpse, so that was a bit of a let down.

but so im not a negative nelly, i think yahweh was done beautifully.
what did you think of the DVD overall?

I was hoping they would've focused a bit more on the lights since a majority of first leg attendees (myself included) missed the light show for Zoo Station due to its late inclusion to the tour. Other than that, the way that performance was shot was rather average - nothing too impressive overall.

KUEFC09U2 said:
what did you think of the DVD overall?

overall i think its pretty good. the number of songs is great, so i can fast forward past some of the old standard songs and still get to see a lot of good stuff. some of the editing is poor, but thats not a huge deal to me. i think the documentary on the extra DVD is pretty cool, but the other bonus stuff is not good at all. so overall i give it about a B+.

Chizip said:

:sad:

I have just downloaded the DVD version of Zoo Station and the drums don't have the huge sound at the intro, I don't know if his fault or not but anyway that sucks! I don't want to be negative but the intro is a huge part of the song for me and I know that already on the first leg they had that monstrous sound when Larry first hits them. The bass drum is also not very strong n the mix. It changes the song for me. Stupid mistake/bad choice.

TheBrazilianFly said:

:sad:

I have just downloaded the DVD version of Zoo Station and the drums don't have the huge sound at the intro, I don't know if his fault or not but anyway that sucks! I don't want to be negative but the intro is a huge part of the song for me and I know that already on the first leg they had that monstrous sound when Larry first hits them. The bass drum is also not very strong n the mix. It changes the song for me. Stupid mistake/bad choice.

:hug:

good = I see Edge when I hear guitar, and I see Adam when I hear bass.

bad... Hamish Hamilton's theory that he needs to slice and dice these songs to 'capture the moment' is just ludicrous. He could have a single cam directly in front of the ellipse and he'd have a perfectly fine dvd. Throw in an 'ellipse' cam to catch some of that action if needed. But the show is fine on its own legs... who is Hamish to think he can improve on that.

And for him to turn the documentary into another 'director's cut' watching him ooze about himself is pathetic. This dvd is NOT about Hamish Hamilton... he should kindly remove himself from appearing on it.

He goes on and on how he wants to capture the show from as many angles as possible so that everyone who attended can relive their moment.... who the hell wants to watch a DVD from a nosebleed perspective? Just give us a few simple straight on shots... HAMISH HAS NO CLUE!

Last edited:
oh, and no one's mentioned the black box that they insert over the teleprompter at times from the aerial shots...

and I never thought I'd say this... but u2rulesmyworld might give Hamish a run for his money...

Last edited:
Anyone else think Edge's backing vocals on Zoo Station are way too low in the mix?

I also don't like the sound of Bono's guitar during One, it's just needless.

u2wedge said:
good = I see Edge when I hear guitar, and I see Adam when I hear bass.

bad... Hamish Hamilton's theory that he needs to slice and dice these songs to 'capture the moment' is just ludicrous. He could have a single cam directly in front of the ellipse and he'd have a perfectly fine dvd. Throw in an 'ellipse' cam to catch some of that action if needed. But the show is fine on its own legs... who is Hamish to think he can improve on that.

And for him to turn the documentary into another 'director's cut' watching him ooze about himself is pathetic. This dvd is NOT about Hamish Hamilton... he should kindly remove himself from appearing on it.

He goes on and on how he wants to capture the show from as many angles as possible so that everyone who attended can relive their moment.... who the hell wants to watch a DVD from a nosebleed perspective? Just give us a few simple straight on shots... HAMISH HAS NO CLUE!

Yeah, his whole 'I want people to feel like they're IN the ellipse, RIGHT up front, UP Bono's NOSE!' thing is crap. I mean if I were in the ellipse I wouldn't a strong case of the dizzies. I like the DVD though.

I think that the imperfections kept during Elevation is fun and makes for a good time. Granted I've only watched some of it, I'll give it a B+ as well. The second disk wasn't so great, but I'm always a sucker for the behind the scenes stuff.

U2 fans really are turning into the most nitpicking of fans :|

"i dont like this" "is this too loud here" "should he have shot there", "this should have been included in the set" "i dont like that running order"

i am really not being funny, but who are any of us to tell anyone how to do something? seriously? U2wedge, your saying he could have had just one camera there, but there are people that like the kind of DVD he shoots, and who has any right to tell them there wrong to like it? yes fair enough you dont like it, and have EVERY right to say you dont like it, but when it comes to telling someone that there doing there job wrong, when there are so many that will like it, i just dont think thats fair

everything U2 has put out since the best of 90-00 has been critised to death by some fans, and for me it seems them fans are the ones whose fav albums and tours were in the 90's, but when someone dares to question the U2 of the 90's they get shot down for having poor taste in music

p.s. most of that is for the people who are critising hamish, and what i wrote is in no way fact, and is my opinion only,and wrote just to add to the debate

Wow. I don't what the complainings about.

From watching the excerpt being shown on Channel 4 it's excellent.

It's good, but it's not great. I saw the show 3 times and the DVD doesn't really give you the feeling of being there. I think it's because there's too many edits without any really long camera shot of any one of them. It just sort of flashes from band member to band member, to the stage, to the crowd, and then back to Bono. ZooTV Sydney has prolonged shot zooming out of the main stage as well as following Bono all the way down the catwalk. I prefer a straight performance DVD of what an audience member would be looking at but closer up. Without as many shots of there shoes. Hamish seems to like shoes.

I really like Hamish's filming style. What I like about it is that it's DIFFERENT from the real concert experience.

Just my personal opinion about these newer DVD's, if I want to see a concert I go to the concert or buy a bootleg video of it. For me, concert DVD's are a different experience entirely, more like a real film than just documentation of a live show.

everyone should remember that U2 approves everything that "it does", if you read any U2 books, they probably sat there and went over EVERY shot. If you don't like the video, blame the band not Hamish.

I want to also say that the DVD is great. Television is all about quick camera angles and shots. the 1950's are over people.....focus groups want more and more shots so they don't go to sleep. this is not an opinion it is fact....my job is effected by these idiotec focus groups...just take it for what it is.....if you don't like it then give it away.....they will never make another Rattle and Hum movie.

KUEFC09U2 said:
U2 fans really are turning into the most nitpicking of fans :|

"i dont like this" "is this too loud here" "should he have shot there", "this should have been included in the set" "i dont like that running order"

i am really not being funny, but who are any of us to tell anyone how to do something? seriously? U2wedge, your saying he could have had just one camera there, but there are people that like the kind of DVD he shoots, and who has any right to tell them there wrong to like it? yes fair enough you dont like it, and have EVERY right to say you dont like it, but when it comes to telling someone that there doing there job wrong, when there are so many that will like it, i just dont think thats fair

everything U2 has put out since the best of 90-00 has been critised to death by some fans, and for me it seems them fans are the ones whose fav albums and tours were in the 90's, but when someone dares to question the U2 of the 90's they get shot down for having poor taste in music

p.s. most of that is for the people who are critising hamish, and what i wrote is in no way fact, and is my opinion only,and wrote just to add to the debate

well in essence, Hamish is telling US how to see a U2 show, when I'd much prefer to just watch a dvd with a few angles and let my mind do the editing.... Hamish could make paint drying more exciting to watch with his editing style, but he does not need to employ the same techniques with a U2 show... the U2 show is dynamic on it's own. You don't need 500 cuts during Vertigo... that song will dizzy you on it's own just with Edge's guitar and the stage... When Hamish adds to the already spinning set, he just makes the whole thing make me :crazy:

it's a good dvd... obviously a good show... it's just that, technically, Hamish's 'eye' is not in sync with what's in front of the cameras. He's trying to hard.

Last edited:
Swan269 said:
I want to also say that the DVD is great. Television is all about quick camera angles and shots. the 1950's are over people.....focus groups want more and more shots so they don't go to sleep. this is not an opinion it is fact....my job is effected by these idiotec focus groups...just take it for what it is.....if you don't like it then give it away.....they will never make another Rattle and Hum movie.

so this dvd is for focus groups?

I thought it was for U2 fans.

Swan269 said:
everyone should remember that U2 approves everything that "it does", if you read any U2 books, they probably sat there and went over EVERY shot. If you don't like the video, blame the band not Hamish.

and they approved Pop, but by all reported accounts, Bono thinks it pretty much sucked... to the point where they want to re-do it.

u2wedge said:

so this dvd is for focus groups?

I thought it was for U2 fans.

Hamish knows what the public wants, the band didn't make this for U2 fans because we will buy anything, they want to attract others to the truth

u2wedge said:

and they approved Pop, but by all reported accounts, Bono thinks it pretty much sucked... to the point where they want to re-do it.

true, that still doesn't change the fact that U2 still approved the video before it was released.

Back
Top Bottom