Should INXS open for U2 in New Zealand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The shows have rock (U2), hip-hop (Kanye West) why not throw in some pop (INXS).

Just my two cents, but I grabbed a DVD from the Elegantly Wasted Tour and compared it to the "new" INX$, and IMO the band are playing much better now.

And Sydney in New Zealand! Please! I hope not all USA residents from Toronto, Winnipeg and Mexico City are ignorant about geography! Get with it guys. :lol:

theu2fly said:
I think it would be a cool idea, I could see JD Fortune doing a duet with Bono,

Hell no!!!

And please theu2fly;

facts straight please!

STING2 said:

Then why would you even bother posting in a thread about INXS?

oh, i'm sorry sting2. my mistake...i thought the thread title was 'should inxs open for u2 in new zealand'.

Last edited:
DignityPassesBy said:

You've got to be joking don't you ... Have you never listened to the album kick it has to be one of the best albums of the last 25 years its great ... go and get it ... NOW

i'm not sure if you're aware, but the old inxs passed on with the very unfortunate passing of michael. they're not the same band anymore.

really, they're even more u2 these days than u2 are. i'll let you guess how.

Re: Re: Should INXS open for U2 in New Zealand?

doubleU said:

facts straight please!

you keep the facts - i want the truth!!

liberals and their "facts"...pfft.

:sexywink:

No, they shouldn't open for anyone. My daughter and I were home ill the other day and saw the new INXS on some program. I immediately played the real INXS portion of my Live Aid dvd to try and get the image out of my mind.

Zoomerang96 said:

oh, i'm sorry sting2. my mistake...i thought the thread title was 'should inxs open for u2 in new zealand'.

Oh, thats right, this thread is not about INXS. :eyebrow:

The new CD is good (Switch) and they are selling out of much bigger places than INXS did when they were winding down. Gotta love all the haters.

I saw them, I own the CD, and I thought they were decent. Nothing spectaular, but I had a great time at the show. FUN.

U2RMW was too busy filming to enjoy the show. ;)

Axver said:

Exactly.

Joy Division/New Order got the "continuing to make music after the lead singer dies" thing right. INX$ just look greedy.

Yeah completely and utterly agree with you..
I saw New order last month and they were quality and played "love will tear us apart," it was amazing, but very respectful to the memory of Ian Curtis. What those idiots have done in what is left of INXS is completely disrespect Michael Hutchence in the name of $$$$.

I and I in the said:
I don't think Andrew Farriss likes U2 too much.

No, he doesn't.

INXS tried the new singer route, mostly relatively 'quietly' (in a global sense) here in Australia on little tours and the odd event. I think the people for the most part gave it room, and probably would have given them more room if they chose to record, and probably would have accepted them with a complete open mind if they'd taken the Joy Division/New Order route (which is by far the best).

The fact is they did the worst thing possible. Reality TV show to select a new singer to front INXS to sing INXS songs. They expect respect for that? You've got to be kidding.

No doubt they are tight musicians still. No doubt the new guy might really be able to sing/perform. No doubt that means a gig of there's might be quite entertaining. No doubt the reality tv show has served it's purpose and opened up some new fans for them. No doubt 95% of fans of the 'old' INXS will treat them as diseased and no doubt U2 would keep them a loooooong distance away.

It's a cash grab. A very very cheap, exploitive, cash grab. Now THERE is a act that would get booed if they opened for U2 in Sydney. Especially considering how the last U2 concert in Sydney was essentially geared around the then recent death of Hutchence, it would be an unspeakable low to even *shudders* consider INXS as they are today.

DignityPassesBy said:
Its funny talking to people who loved the old INXS they all say how much betrayed they feel by the whole thing. They're not even an Australian band anymore in a sense and thats sad because they were possibly our best ever.

But really what band is truly "Australian"? I really struggle to think of a band of note that wasn't "tarnished" by an overseas member... The Oils, The Crowdies, The Angels, AC/DC, Cold Chisel etc etc. To me it really is a non-issue. For the record INXS hasn't used an Australian singer other than Hutchance as D'Arby, Barnes and Stevens are all foriegners.

INXS may have been Australia's best pop act though, I suppose they would have to fight Men At Work and Kylie Minogue for that "honour".

I and I in the said:
I don't think Andrew Farriss likes U2 too much.

Andrew, to me, seems to be the least phased by U2. Others, particularly Kirk & Tim, seem to have some interesting ideas as to the respective career paths of the two bands (i.e. anything successful that U2 did they stole from INXS who had created/invented it 1-2 years earlier).

According to this report INXS don't like U2 at the mo, so I doubt they'll be the support somehow.

h t t p://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/inxs%20left%20confused%20by%20bonos%20hutchence%20tribute_27_01_2006

Back
Top Bottom