Short People And General Admission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtungboston

Babyface
How short is too short for General Admission? On the Elevation tour my friend was 5 feet even and she was just three rows back from outside the heart and couldn't see anything other than when Bono would walk directly by.

With such a rabid following for GA tickets - isn't there something to be said for having a nice clean view of all the stage, all four band members, the screens and lighting effects? Plus, you don't have to make your experience last all day, hanging out at the arena - you can be free all day to go sight-seeing or hang out with friends.

I'm 6'3" so have a good clean view wherever I am on the floor, but at what point does height become a problem seeing the band from the floor? Is 5'6" too short?

Tall guys :drool:

Well, I am just short of 5'10... 6'0+ with the proper shit kickin' concert going boots, and when I was third off the rail, I did have to move my head around and peek over people's shoulder once I shifted from standing behind the shorter women to standing behind a couple guys... Chizip has a big fat head :madspit:

:wink:

so yeah, I would say anything below 5'6" and you might have some SERIOUS difficulties seeing the stage if you are not front row... :(

Last edited:
Miroslava said:
Tall guys :drool:

so yeah, I would say anything below 5'6" and you might have some SERIOUS difficulties seeing the stage if you are not front row... :(

I'm 5'1" and have difficulty seeing so I either say in the back so I can see or I squeeze on up and find a spot where I can sort of seen.

I've been lucking to get in the ellipse and be up front.

So basically, if my friend who is short comes with me, I should get there very early and make sure we're up close. I want her to be able to see everything and really experience the show, not be dodging her head around. On Saturday, I'm going with my roommate who is 6'2" and I almost feel bad when the two of us will be standing there like a six foot + wall, blocking everyone behind us.

I'm just 5'3" and although I've had no real trouble seeing, what does piss me off is if Ive been waiting in the crowd for three hours, only for two six feet tall guys to turn up ten minutes before it starts which then forces me to stand somewhere else..

have a bit of consideration, that's what I say.!!!!

People forcing their way in front of people that waited around (regardless of height) SUCK :mad: :madspit:

That happened to me at both the elevation concerts I went to.

it's people who try to push their way through, when there's clearly no more room that are just total idiots

achtungboston said:
So basically, if my friend who is short comes with me, I should get there very early and make sure we're up close.

Yes, you need to make sure you get on the rail outside the ellipse if not inside. I agree with Miroslava. Frankly, even second row is a bitch for short people. Just ask the lady behind me in Denver.

It sucks for a lot of people, a lot of people are clamoring to get their hands on GA tickets, and they don't realize that height is a real issue down there. They just assume "floor=best view"

I have a co-worker who is about 5'5" and she wants floor seats when she already has great LOGE seats near the stage. There's a lot to be said about the energy down in the pit, but on the other hand, who isn't going crazy at U2 shows?!! I was up in the balcony for a show and it was still wild.

That's true, I'll never forget what my friend said at her second Elevation show - the first one we were GA and she loved it, the second one, we had great LOGE seats and when we showed up, she said "Oh man, that's so cool, the stage is shaped like a heart!" I realized that she was so short she never saw anything on the first show - but she still had a great time on the first show, so I guess it's all relative to the type of experience you are looking for.

I am 5'7 barefoot, at least 5'8 with shoes on. I was 3 rows back from the ellipse rail and I had two taller people in front of me and couldn't see a thing. It totally sucked. It just depends on who's infront of you.

I dunno, I'm 5' 2" and had GA's for one of the Elevation stops, and nosebleeds the other. I was right outside the "heart" on Edge's side, on the rail. I could see some things, I could see Adam though, (whose at the opposite end of where I was), but I also saw everything else going on, from having the upper seats.

Is the ellipse catwalk higher up than the heart, or about the same?

Same things this time around.

I have GA's for the fall, but I saw everything back in April as I had nosebleeds one night, and behind the stage the other. GA's just fun because your up close, but you do miss some of the lighting effects, like the ones that light up on the catwalk. Chaser lights kinda.

*Can't wait for the DVD*

Last edited:
This is going to vary from night to night. I'm 5'3 and wore platform flip-flops, was 2 people back from the ellipse both nights, and was fine. I also had great people around me with kind hearts and great energy. Only time I had a little bit of trouble was with this one lady's big hair...seriously, it got in my way a few times!! I say you go for it, because in my opinion, there's nothing like the experience of being in GA.

achtungboston said:
It sucks for a lot of people, a lot of people are clamoring to get their hands on GA tickets, and they don't realize that height is a real issue down there. They just assume "floor=best view"

I have a co-worker who is about 5'5" and she wants floor seats when she already has great LOGE seats near the stage. There's a lot to be said about the energy down in the pit, but on the other hand, who isn't going crazy at U2 shows?!! I was up in the balcony for a show and it was still wild.
I had seats next to the stage on 5/24, then had my first GA experience on 5/28. I would gladly take the seats over GA. Was about 11 to 15 rows behind outside center of ellipse and it totally sucked IMO. Couldn't see anything but the 4 guys hopping in front of me all night. Tried talking my brother into moving to back but he didn't want to. Should have left him and moved anyway. Finally talked him into moving near last song and view was 100 times better from the back. Also, we got there right at 8 and they had already stopped scanning for the ellipse so my first GA and never even had a chance. Big bummer there. Anyway, never again the GA for me.

I'm 5'2 and I was really, really lucky that I was able to get to the second row at the rail on the Edge's side. (Especially considering the people right in front of me were #81 and #89 in line, and I was roughly #180!) Even being second row and wearing my 3" heels all day long, I had to strain to catch a glimpse (doesn't help that the boys in front of me were amazons).

I remember thinking that if I was any farther back than fourth or fifth row, it just wouldn't be worth it to have GA. But if you ARE close and you're short, I'd also strongly advise wearing flip-flops in the line-up and during the wait on the floor, and change to heels/platforms in between KOL and U2. The few inches makes a difference, and having comfy shoes for most of the day makes the whole experience MUCH, MUCH better. You simply cannot hop along to Vertigo and Pride happily as your feet are swelling like watermelons. I've got photographic proof if anyone doesn't believe me.

i am 5'3 as well and went and got platform flip flops after opening nigh in sd. i knew that i wouldnt be able to see over anyone. my bf has it luck he is like 6'5... but the flip flops worked out well and are coming with us to the dublin and paris shows!!!

joyfulgirl said:
Frankly, even second row is a bitch for short people.

in san diego i was in the second row just behind the rail and couldn't see anything unless bono would walk right in front of us. and later in the show when i was forced into the back, forget it. i was basically watching the band on tv.

plus, you do seem to get crushed more when you're small. :(

I think it's the scalpers who are putting a lot of "best tickets in the house - right down on the floor!!!" type of advertisements out there.

Those of us who know abuot the set-up know the benefits and drawbacks to GA tickets, but those who don't spend $300-400 per ticket thinking they are going to be down on the floor with a great view of the band, and would have been better off paying $200 for an actual seat farther from the stage.

I was three people back in the stage-front ellipse for Boston on Saturday and texted my dad at the first break: THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME TALL!!! and I got a text back from my sister that said "Dad says grow up and stop wasting money on concerts" she signed it "Catorce!"

you just have to jump out of sequence with the rest of the crowd. when they are coming down - small people should jump up - simple

What I think is funny too is that from my personal observation, a lot of the shorter girls are wearing cute little shoes that add very little if nothing to their height while I, who am already close to 5'10 am walking around with my boots thereby adding 2-3 more inches to my height (and protecting my toes!) :yikes:

You'd have to pay me good money to wear open toes shoes to a GA show... Actually, any show... have you seen the floor after show all sticky and gross? :huh:

I can't see wearing anything but sneakers when I'm in the GA line in October. :|

And for you ladies trying to get pulled up on stage...I'm positive the 5/14 gal was wearing good sensible New Balances!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom