Setlist party Amsterdam2 7/15/2005 Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so i guess everyone's excited about tonite's identical setlist?

i swear u2 must be robots, it's inhuman to go through such ridiculous routine night after night.

Zoomerang96 said:
so i guess everyone's excited about tonite's identical setlist?

i swear u2 must be robots, it's inhuman to go through such ridiculous routine night after night.

you know, I don't mind it when the setlists don't change. each show is still unique; the venue and audience both contribute to that, as well as the band's mood and energy.

do you have any idea how incredibly lame that is, what you 7ust said?

don't tell me you seriously buy that.

u2 are slaves to routine and habit.

so maybe they are slaves to habit, and it might be that I've simply bought into that (isn't the Marxist term mystification) and have falsley believed that the shows I've seen on this tour have been entertaining, energizing, and exciting. so what? it's cliche to state, but I guess it comes down to subjective experiences. If I were merely reading setlists night after night it would seem boring, from an objective perspective...but that isn't my experience.

ruffian said:
so maybe they are slaves to habit, and it might be that I've simply bought into that (isn't the Marxist term mystification) and have falsley believed that the shows I've seen on this tour have been entertaining, energizing, and exciting. so what? it's cliche to state, but I guess it comes down to subjective experiences. If I were merely reading setlists night after night it would seem boring, from an objective perspective...but that isn't my experience.

and to your credit, if you're somehow happy with this from a band that boasts such an AMAZING back catalogue, then good for you. seriously. :up:

Zoomerang96 said:

and to your credit, if you're somehow happy with this from a band that boasts such an AMAZING back catalogue, then good for you. seriously. :up:
I'm pretty easy to please. I think I've seen 19 shows on this tour, and the GA experience is always different, I meet new people, and the band are different every performance. Do I want to hear A Sort of Homecoming? Yes. But the like of variety doesn't keep me away. anyhooo....

ruffian said:

I'm pretty easy to please. I think I've seen 19 shows on this tour, and the GA experience is always different, I meet new people, and the band are different every performance. Do I want to hear A Sort of Homecoming? Yes. But the like of variety doesn't keep me away. anyhooo....
:up:

I have just enough interest in the same setlist for two shows every tour ( one Ga and one seat ) Everyone his own,...

New model army is comming to the netherlands 4 times. :drool:

Zoomerang96 said:

don't tell me you seriously buy that.

u2 are slaves to routine and habit.

I must say I don't get this sentiment/argument. I mean, if they were doing this in their livingrooms every night, then perhaps one might wonder...but it's a *SHOW*, no?
Do the actors in a play qualify as slaves to habit for sticking to a script? A stand-up comic? A dance troupe?
I just don't see that there's such a problem for a band to come up with a couple variants on a setlist and then perform that over and over. They want to give the best show they can and have a couple other things to do daytoday then to come up with endless variations that work nicely, no?
*we're* the creatures of routine and habit more than they, to come and check on the setlists so often really I think..
*they're* performers!
imho, of course...

and yeah, I'm assuming to them it feels within a comfort zone to do similar setlists night to night, or else they'd change it...
cheerio!

hey rono, i have to hand it to you...the netherlands is probably my favourite country in the entire world.

you guys do fantastic work. :wink:

ShellBeThere said:

I must say I don't get this sentiment/argument. I mean, if they were doing this in their livingrooms every night, then perhaps one might wonder...but it's a *SHOW*, no?
Do the actors in a play qualify as slaves to habit for sticking to a script? A stand-up comic? A dance troupe?
I just don't see that there's such a problem for a band to come up with a couple variants on a setlist and then perform that over and over. They want to give the best show they can and have a couple other things to do daytoday then to come up with endless variations that work nicely, no?
*we're* the creatures of routine and habit more than they, to come and check on the setlists so often really I think..
*they're* performers!
imho, of course...

and yeah, I'm assuming to them it feels within a comfort zone to do similar setlists night to night, or else they'd change it...
cheerio!

well said. :up:

People here act like its the same people in the audience every night, why is it absolutely necessary for U2 to make radical changes to the setlist?

U2 have kept it fresh for themselves by adding things every tour that they havent played in years, this tour is really no exception....

Unlike some of the people here I have been around long enough to remember the time when people were begging U2 to play Sunday Bloody Sunday on a nightly basis and when it finally happened there was an excitement....now I have seen from people that it should be dropped again from the setlist....

I have seen this same line every album, and tour that U2 has put out since I have been a fan.

The U2 is sucking these days is an arguement that goes back to the start of their career. Just a different bunch of people that say it every album. But that is where the magic comes from and it is what keeps U2 relivent....keep pushing the audience to like something they may not have expected before that point...some fans leave....more fans join what is undoubtbly the biggest hardcore fanbase in the world of music today.

But back to my original question, can anybody answer why it is so important that U2 change the setlist nightly? Are you going to every show? If you are you must have a lot of money and time on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom