Scalpers have been left with too many tickets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Whether it was due to U2's actions, simply supply and demand, fan's actions, or all three, this article is encouraging for those of you looking for tickets, especially the part about U2 releasing tickets the day of the concert at each venue, which has helped me get great seats into 2 different concerts right before they took the stage.

I know this may not belong in this forum, but considering all the emotions regarding tickets to the Vertigo tour, I was hoping to give it maximum exposure. I copied the article if the link expires.

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_3589386,00.html

Rocky Mountain News

Doors reopen
Patient U2 fans bid on tickets below face value
By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News
March 3, 2005

U2 fans who had been shut out of two Denver shows in April, when ticket brokers snapped up many of the best seats, may have the last laugh - many of those tickets have turned up on eBay deeply discounted from the huge initial markups.

In fact, fans can find tickets at face value or below on the Internet auction site. They may not be the best seats, but they'll get fans into the building.

"The week after they went on sale, people were panicking and getting tickets no matter what they cost," said Jesse Esparza of Denver, who got shut out of the April 20-21 shows but now is biding his time to get tickets. "The day they went on sale, people were bidding like mad."

But that has died way down.

"As the weeks go on, the bids come down further and further," Esparza said.

The coveted $49.50 general-admission floor tickets that put fans right next to the band's oval stage were the first to go, with all 2,200 for each show selling out instantly in a presale through U2.com. The week after they went on sale in January, they were fetching up to $800 a pair, Esparza said. "One auction ended yesterday for $180 a pair."

Fans can find much better bargains than that. As of Tuesday afternoon, there were more than 300 auctions on eBay for tickets for the two Denver shows, with most of them getting no bids at all and others selling well below face value. There were more than 2,800 auctions for U2 tickets worldwide on eBay alone. Many are put up for single shows, but some are clearly from brokers who are selling tickets in a number of markets.

Fans and amateur brokers may have thought they could make a killing on reselling the tickets and perhaps overestimated demand.

"What really happens is people try to be brokers and find out it's hard," said Gary Adler, general counsel for the National Association of Ticket Brokers, the people who professionally resell tickets to events. "There are a lot of people who want to be brokers and then find out what it takes."

One eBay auction noted that "the buy-now price on these tickets is face value($99 + $12.25 each). I'm not making a dime on this. I'm a U2 fan, not a broker or a scalper. I bought these for myself before they announced the addition of the 4/21 show, which I'll be going to instead."

Another seller in Florida was offering two Denver tickets in section 134 for a buy-it-now price of $210 – tickets that originally cost $225 with Ticketmaster charges.

Another plea noted that "my reserve price is lower than face value, so feel free to bid them as you wish. Tickets are hard tickets, NOT TicketFast."

Other auctions seem to have no connection to reality. Two mediocre tickets in section 110 - at the far end of the Pepsi Center from the stage - were being offered for a minimum $995 price tag, with no bids.

Another broker based in Fort Worth had 11 different auctions up for U2 tickets in Denver, Boston and other cities, and 10 of those auctions had no bids.

"I've always believed that if you try hard enough, you should be able to get the tickets you want without paying a fortune to a scalper," said Matt McGee of Washington, who founded and runs the Web site atU2.com.

Rather than buying through brokers, fans are trading tickets online and taking care of each other. "The fans that are patient and are willing to keep trying are - in many cases - eventually finding success. And they should keep trying because U2 always has held back tickets for release as the show approaches in an attempt to hurt the scalpers a bit," McGee said.

Early anger at the band for letting the situation get out of hand has pretty much gone away after drummer Larry Mullen apologized both on U2.com and during the Grammy ceremony last month, said Devlin Smith, who's a California-based contributing editor to the U2 fansite Interference.com.

"People are just looking forward to seeing what the band is going to do to make sure this doesn't happen on the third leg. It has died down, but people are waiting with bated breath to see what happens on the third leg," she said.

"To their credit, U2 has made a real effort to target the scalpers using eBay, in particular," McGee said. "They asked for fans to help locate scalpers and brokers selling on eBay, and within a week there were a lot of stories about auctions being canceled."

He adds that "there's been a real concern among fans that some of these folks might be selling counterfeit tickets. The main message fans are sharing online is 'If you buy from a scalper, you won't know if your ticket is real until you show up at the venue and try to get in with it.' So that means fewer bidders."

That's a particular problem with the TicketFast system that allows buyers to print out their tickets on their home computer. There's nothing to stop an unscrupulous seller from printing as many copies as they want and selling them. The first fan to arrive with that paper would get in the door; the ticket scanners, however, would then reject every other copy.

Esparza is still biding his time; he has watched the auctions and has been in touch with other U2 fans who have extra tickets.

"I'm willing to be patient. There's no way I would pay that much. I can't pay that much," he said.

Mark Brown is the popular music critic. Brownm@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-892-2674

Well well. I've always thought these stories about diehard (and rich) U2 fans paying 000's for tickets were totally hyped up and probably spread by scalpers anyway.

My guess is that lately there was a lull in tickets.

Right after the ticket fiasco people were in a panic and paid tons of money. My guess is when the tour gets closer, the tickets will get more rare and the prices will go back up. BTW, i checked ebay earlier and I say plenty of GA's going for 200-250 a piece yet.

MrBrau1 said:
As the event gets closer, the price will go down, not up.

I think you're wrong. I watched the prices very closely on ebay on the 3rd leg of the elevation tour, and about 3 weeks before concerts the prices would skyrocket...my guess is because people start thinking "oh shit, I'm gonna miss my chance!"

I know I'm right. My friend Mac goes to sold out shows all the time by waiting outside the venue for the first song to start, then buying tix as the scalpers dump them at face or below to cut losses. Tickets are perishable.

MrBrau1 said:
I know I'm right. My friend Mac goes to sold out shows all the time by waiting outside the venue for the first song to start, then buying tix as the scalpers dump them at face or below to cut losses. Tickets are perishable.

yeah I'm talking about the weeks before the show, not hours. I've got tickets right before a show for face value, but on e-bay I guarantee the ticket prices will go back up in the weeks proceeding the shows; if you would have read my post closely you would have seen that. I'm basing this on what I actually observed on the 3rd leg of the Elevation Tour. Quit acting like a know-it-all.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

yeah I'm talking about the weeks before the show, not hours. I've got tickets right before a show for face value, but on e-bay I guarantee the ticket prices will go back up in the weeks proceeding the shows--I'm basing this on what I've actually observed in the past. Quit acting like a know-it-all.

I know more than you. Eat my poo.

Last edited:
This is partly to U2 overplaying a Denver market, in conjuction with many west coast and Phoenix shows.

I don't see tickets going for discounts for Chicago or MSG shows.

I agree I think it depends on the market. There are lots of tickets out there for Denver and Phoenix, and really not so many at much higher prices for the east coast shows, especially MSG. It all depends on supply and demand.

MrBrau1 said:
My friend Mac goes to sold out shows all the time by waiting outside the venue for the first song to start, then buying tix as the scalpers dump them at face or below to cut losses.
I've done that before (not for U2), but it's really hit or miss. I've seen scalpers who have made so much on the rest of their sales, that they don't have any "losses" to cut. Sometimes they'll just be pricks and say "at least face or forget it." Your bargaining position is even worse when you're looking for a pair, rather than a single. Then, if you don't get your hands on a ticket, you get the extra agony of hearing the muffled sounds of the show and knowing what you're missing, as well as knowing you wasted the time to come and the money to park. Plus, who wants to miss the excitement of the band's stage entrance or first song? (And by the time you get in and find your seat, you've usually missed most of the second song, too.) That's why I only try that when it's a show I can take or leave--never for something I have to be at.

Back
Top Bottom