saving spots in a GA line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
hey all!

im just curious as to wether it is at all possible to save spots in the GA line for anybody else? i wouldnt think so but i thought id ask anyway..

also, is there any way that you can leave the line and come back to you're place? because im going to be lining up the night before the brisbane show with my girlfriend and sister, but i wanna be able to nick off when the band arrive so i can meet them, so is that possible? would my sister and or girlfriend have to stay and mind our spots? is there any form of Spot in que identification? like to they give out wristbands with ur number on it? or do they perhaps stamp you or something?

thanks guy!

quad!

Here's the way I see it regarding any form of line.

If you have got a spot in line, it is usually ok to leave for a brief amount of time (restroom break...fast food run etc) just make sure the people behind you are willing to save your spot (offer to get them some food or whatnot)...people are usually good about that.

Regarding letting others in with you, I think it should not be allowed! If you have a friend who cannot sit with you the entire time, that is his problem, not yours, and especially not anyone elses who have been waiting there all day or night as well.

Thats my take on it...

totally understandable point of view there, but what about in the situation of my dad:

he has to work that day, he doesnt think he can get the day off work to line up. everybody else is lining up, do you think its ok for him so that he doesnt have to be by himself for the whole show?

and what if i leave the line to meet the band and leave my sister there? is that acceptable? you dont think that will cause any trouble do you?

In Atlanta, there was one guy who was like number 12 in line (right behind us) and he saved a spot for his mom. Everyone seemed cool with that. Of course, everyone was saying how much more smoothly the ATL line was working than the other shows they had gone to. I think it all depends on the attitude of the person running the line from the front. I took a turn running the line, and I generally tried to be pretty relaxed about it, which I think made everyone else relaxed about it too. I think most of the people there would say it was a good system.

I'm feeling uneasy about my mates plan for lining up, here's the haps:

We're all flying up to Auckland at different times, cos we couldn't get on the same flight. She's gonna be up in Auckland on the thursday, the rest of us Friday morning. The idea se has is to go to the stadium early in the morning and stake out a spot and save it for the other 5 of us. I don't feel very good about this and I told her so, cos I think it's not fair. We'll be there at the stadium by midday anyway so we should be fine for getting a good spot. I talked to the others about this and they feel the same way.

I agree dont do it. I know it kinda sucks that your dad has to work...but that doesn't mean his problem should be EVERYONE elses in line. If everyone did what you did, allowing one person in line...someone who is number 51 in line would now be number 101...that doesn't seem very fair does it.

But about leaving momentarily...I cant see that being a problem...just dont leave for hours at a time and return

I wasn't able to line up at the same time as my friends...so that meant being in line by myself and enjoying the show by myself. Those are the breaks.

Bonochick said:
I wasn't able to line up at the same time as my friends...so that meant being in line by myself and enjoying the show by myself. Those are the breaks.

what she said.

as far as breaking off for a little while to try and meet the band, no problem... breaks from the line for a short period of time are just fine, esp. if you just tell the people in line around you where you're headed and when you'll be back.

leaving the line for most of the day? not quite as cool.

In Vancouver I saved a spot for a buddy. I waited in line for 8 hours and right before they opend the doors he showed up. I was a bit uneasy about it but nobody seemed to mind. I would think that saving a spot for one person would be no problem and most people would be cool with it. In Vancouver it seemd as though most everyone had another friend who was showing up later and sure it gets frustrating but that's the way it goes. Everybody does it so what can you do. Just don't save a spot for a whole group of people. That would raise some eyebrows I'm sure.

Also in Vnacouver I offered the guy at the front with his kid $80.00 if I could stand in front of him. $80.00 is two t-shirts for him and his kid, it's alot of money. He very politely rejected the offer. He said if it were up to him he'd do it but he had to think of the hundred or so other people in line who had been waiting. Fair enough. Pretty classy of him actually. I chatted with him for about 20 minutes and then figured I should get my spot. Turns out both our tickets got us inot the elispe and when I arrived inside he was front row center. I could've stood right behind him but I choose the back of the elipse.

I think it's pretty touch and go as far as the joining in line bit. I had someone join me after I got there, but it was only like 45 minutes later, not hours later. Nobody seemed to mind, and in the end it didn't matter, because the line got all screwed up when Bono came out to sign autographs. I'd say find out the thoughts of the people around you ASAP, and decide what's more important to you and your dad: you having as good a spot as possible, or the two of you enjoying the concert together, wherever that may be on the floor. Personally, if the people around me weren't OK with my mom joining me later in the afternoon/early evening, I think I'd just have to meet up with her when she got there and we'd just have to take our chances with where we ended up.

my thoughts....

if it's cool with the people around you then it shouldnt matter if you are saving a spot for one other person.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

as long as it's one person you're saving a spot for and not a group of 5, for example, no biggie.

yeah thanks for the advice guys, its definetly only one person im going to try and save a spot for, ive got quite afew uncles and aunts who are going but they will have to try their luck :p

quadcaster said:
hey all!

im just curious as to wether it is at all possible to save spots in the GA line for anybody else? i wouldnt think so but i thought id ask anyway..

also, is there any way that you can leave the line and come back to you're place? because im going to be lining up the night before the brisbane show with my girlfriend and sister, but i wanna be able to nick off when the band arrive so i can meet them, so is that possible? would my sister and or girlfriend have to stay and mind our spots? is there any form of Spot in que identification? like to they give out wristbands with ur number on it? or do they perhaps stamp you or something?

thanks guy!

quad!

Am I the only one, who after the word 'Brisbane', read the rest in an Australian accent?

Re: Re: saving spots in a GA line?

Eliv8 said:

Am I the only one, who after the word 'Brisbane', read the rest in an Australian accent?

:laugh: it's actually not us that have an accent, it's everybody else!!!! lol

I would say no, it's not really fair just b/c someone can't get out of work, b/c everyone else at the front obviously had to rearrange their work and lots of other committments, but it's really up to the people around you. Also, it's different for the big stadium shows b/c there is SO much more room at the front; people aren't obsessing over less than 100 rail spots.

Re: Re: saving spots in a GA line?

Eliv8 said:

hehehehehehe do you guys realise that the "australian" accent that you guys get fed on tv isnt the way we speak? honestly steve eirwin is the only person in this country that talks like that!

Re: Re: Re: saving spots in a GA line?

quadcaster said:

hehehehehehe do you guys realise that the "australian" accent that you guys get fed on tv isnt the way we speak? honestly steve eirwin is the only person in this country that talks like that!

i beg to differ :lol:

Back
Top Bottom