Saving a Spot in GA Line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Girl1978 said:
For one of the Boston shows, I showed up really late but I sure as heck wasn't going to cut in front of anyone. That's plain rude. I ended up by the soundboard and it was still great!

In another instance in Chicago, there was this arsehole who stood by the fence stating that he wasn't going to move because he had every right to be there. Well sorry I don't think so. Not when a bunch of people camped out over night and had numbers. I don't think it's fair if people are camped out overnight and a bunch of jerks start cutting people. It ends up turning into chaos and lots of fights.

Yes thats not on but if you are meeting up with friends who have queued and they have told the fans near them (in 99/9% of the cases you get to talk to people near you thats half the fun!) that you're coming its just not an issue.

Well it wasnt with us we wouldnt be so petty.

If you FIRST talk with Security, they will help in making sure people follow the courtesy numbering system or whatever is started. They don't want any problems so they usually ask people to respect the numbering system. Its all about respect.

ruffian said:

why should the same fans get the spots on the rail at every show? because they queue up early! it's totally fair...and people who don't queue up early don't deserve to be in the front--let them take their chances with getting into the ellipse. that's just my thought. no, i'm not a line-jumper. my friend put me on a list when four people were in line and didn't make any difference, but i still regretted doing it.

and the issue isn't that one person won't make a difference--as others have said everyone would want to make the exception and it could make a HUGE difference. So either someone takes a day without pay, goes to a different concert that falls on a date when they have vacation, or they get in the back of the line if they come late. Maybe some people are cool with this, but if it happened in front of me I'd be angry and would say something about it...

Yeah, i was in Glasgow next to the B-stage on Adams side...

Dont take this the wrong way but this seems like a double edged sword to me, so because your name was on a "list" and you werent there that is ok? So what would have happened if there had been no "list"?
I assume that your friends would have saved you a spot and told the fans around them? You would have joined them end of story.

I still think that certain people are over reacting to this(not all) yes ok it would be a problem if the first 100 people saved places but lets be honest how likely is that?? The most you are talking about is one or two surely?

I recall in Chicago they handed out flyers with information about security/ga line. It said something about both parties of any dispute would be moved to the back of the line or asked to leave. I know security did honor the number system that was being run by fans.

I also want to send out a huge "THANKS" to those people who took the time and effort to organize the number systems.

I agree line jumpers suck!!! Big time. I also don't like how everyone gets so uptight, but I don't understand why people can be so unreasonable and unfair. Especially U2 fans.

Just my thoughts.

I don't understand why anyone would be against a numbering system. It makes sure it truly is a first come first serve system, prevents the jerks who try to cut in line at the last minute, and allows people to leave and come back to the line if they need to take care of something.

It's a win-win situation for everybody, but line cutters.

Chizip said:
I don't understand why anyone would be against a numbering system. It makes sure it truly is a first come first serve system, prevents the jerks who try to cut in line at the last minute, and allows people to leave and come back to the line if they need to take care of something.

It's a win-win situation for everybody, but line cutters.

It's the only way to avoid all the fight and arguing. The only mature way to do it.

I loved the Boston procedure. You showed up early in the morning, got a numbered wristband from venue security left until 5PM then lined up in the order of your wristband, all monitored and supervised by venue staff.

No one could argue or complain. People that had to go to work just showed up in the morning then went to work.

I wish all venues did this.

My only mistake was thinking I could take a shower after I got my wristband and then realized I couldn't because the wristband could get wet and possibly break off. If its handled this way in December I won't make the same mistake.:der:

U2Man said:

It's the only way to avoid all the fight and arguing. The only mature way to do it.

Yes, until people think they are above the system and it doesnt apply to them. When 500 people all agree to the same rules and one or two jackasses show up late and try to cut in, thats when the problems start.

Chizip said:

Yes, until people think they are above the system and it doesnt apply to them. When 500 people all agree to the same rules and one or two jackasses show up late and try to cut in, thats when the problems start.

But cutting in shouldn't be possible with a number system??

(This discussion reminds me of shopping down at the local supermarket here :wink:)

ramblin rose said:
I loved the Boston procedure. You showed up early in the morning, got a numbered wristband from venue security left until 5PM then lined up in the order of your wristband, all monitored and supervised by venue staff.

No one could argue or complain. People that had to go to work just showed up in the morning then went to work.

My only mistake was thinking I could take a shower after I got my wristband and then realized I couldn't because the wristband could get wet and possibly break off. If its handled this way in December I won't make the same mistake.:der:

That's how it should be done by security not fans no one can argue then, I'm going to both Boston shows in December is that how it will work again?

U2Man said:

But cutting in shouldn't be possible with a number system??

(This discussion reminds me of shopping down at the local supermarket here :wink:)

Well you always have one or two jackasses who show up late who say they arent going to follow the system, or they wait near the front door and try to sneak in the line as people are walking in. These people are the scum of the earth, why do they think they are better than the other 500 people who waited in line all day? Why are they so fucking special that they think they should be allowed to get in before all of these people who have waited all day? It's just plain arrogance and rudeness.

(im not talking about the type of situation the thread starter suggested. at least his situation is more reasonable, im talking about the people who show up late, didnt know how things worked and are pissed that they are going to be at the end of the line so they try to cheat their way in. they should all go to hell)

Bono's Tart said:

That's how it should be done by security not fans no one can argue then, I'm going to both Boston shows in December is that how it will work again?

:shrug: We'll know in early October, when the first shows in Boston take place.

My problem isn't with the fan run lines, it's the waiting all day thing.

Bono's Tart said:

Unfortunately not all security has their shit together like in Boston. In Chicago, security basically said they werent doing anything, its up to the fans to sort it out themselves. What do you suggest happens in this type of situation. Just a random free for all to get in?

Bono's Tart said:

Dont take this the wrong way but this seems like a double edged sword to me, so because your name was on a "list" and you werent there that is ok?

no, i specifically said that i shouldn't have done it (even though no one showed up to get in line between the time my name was on the list and when i ended up actually joining the line...it was the principle.)

and it's a big deal simply because there are 2000 fans in the GA at a given show, and people DO try to cut in the line. It makes for bad feelings and chaos...I've seen it happen at lots of U2 shows. Fans numbering themselves has worked out so well...it makes things organized, and as Chizip said. :shrug:

and cutting in line is still possible with a number system...the numbers make it a little easier to say, "hey buttface, you are number 489 and I'm number 6. don't stand in front of me." :wink:

Chizip said:

Well you always have one or two jackasses who show up late who say they arent going to follow the system, or they wait near the front door and try to sneak in the line as people are walking in. These people are the scum of the earth, why do they think they are better than the other 500 people who waited in line all day? Why are they so fucking special that they think they should be allowed to get in before all of these people who have waited all day? It's just plain arrogance and rudeness.

(im not talking about the type of situation the thread starter suggested. at least his situation is more reasonable, im talking about the people who show up late, didnt know how things worked and are pissed that they are going to be at the end of the line so they try to cheat their way in. they should all go to hell)

:ohmy:

This is the maddest I've ever seen Chizip. :uhoh:

Sadly Chizip, I think these people are here to stay, and they are everywhere. Trust me, even at my local supermarket today. :mad:

:wink:

U2Man said:

:ohmy:

This is the maddest I've ever seen Chizip. :uhoh:

Sadly Chizip, I think these people are here to stay, and they are everywhere. Trust me, even at my local supermarket today. :mad:

:wink:

and that is why i hate people

ramblin rose said:

That seems to be the best way... Everything else is crazy and chaotic, IMO.

Numbered bracelets - first come, first serve, no lines until later, supervised by venue staff - so it's official... That's great.

Chizip said:

Unfortunately not all security has their shit together like in Boston. In Chicago, security basically said they werent doing anything, its up to the fans to sort it out themselves. What do you suggest happens in this type of situation. Just a random free for all to get in?

No not at all just queue like civilised people or isnt that possible??????????:huh:

:love: it's a very flattering costume, too.

(rosa, i so wish everyone would do the get-a-wristband-and-come-back-later thing, i'm with you).

and i also want to say i'm totally not bashing the poor thread starter. it's great to ask to get a feel for how things work. in san diego a guy showed up at 6:30 pm and wanted to join his friends at the front of the line and people threw a fit...shouted at him, pointed, the whole thing. later he snuck in and somehow ended up front. i agree with chizip. i hate a line cutter :mad:

Bono's Tart said:

No not at all just queue like civilised people or isnt that possible??????????:huh:

trust me, without a numbering system there would be a LOT more chaos than with one.

if everyone has their numbers they dont have to worry about people trying to cut in front of them. without it youd always be looking around trying to defend your spot and making sure people werent cutting in front of you.

an organized system works best for everybody. if the venue isnt going to do it then i appreciate the fans who are willing to do it.

ramblin rose said:

:shrug: We'll know in early October, when the first shows in Boston take place.

My problem isn't with the fan run lines, it's the waiting all day thing.

I have no problem waiting in line but I may have if its snowing in December!!!

No one is going to agree on this issue as everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I never said that I had a problem with the fan run line (though its a joke sorry!) I personally know for a fact the do not work all the time.
The way forward is for the venue security team to do like Boston.

But I would save a place for a friend/sis etc and I would inform others around me, and no one would stop me.

And on that note I'm off as I am going to Dublin early tomorrow for the rest of the week!!
I'll leave you all to argue!!!

ramblin rose said:

I'm hoping they keep it that way for December. :up:

Chizip said:

trust me, without a numbering system there would be a LOT more chaos than with one.

if everyone has their numbers they dont have to worry about people trying to cut in front of them. without it youd always be looking around trying to defend your spot and making sure people werent cutting in front of you.

an organized system works best for everybody. if the venue isnt going to do it then i appreciate the fans who are willing to do it.

Well I've been watching U2 for 25 years now and until 4 years ago it was never neccessary!! That was teh first time I had ever had a number on my hand even Bono thought it was hilarious in Manchester!

Now I am going!!!

Well, I'm guessing Bono's never sat outside for 36 hrs straight waiting to get into a concert and then watched some punk ass teenager who's daddy bought him and his posse GA tickets try to cut to the front of the line.

If you don't want a number on your hand, fine, don't sign in then. :shrug:

I'm in the same situation. My first day of university starts on the 12th. My first U2 concert is on the 12th. It would have been easier if I went to UoT, but I'm studying at Guelph. I've got a friend who's gonna be waiting in line for me and picking me up midday. Hopefully, like artdirector said,

artdirector said:
If you tell the people in line that your significant other is coming later on, there usually is no problem. In fact, most U2 fans are pretty nice and don't mind. ... If not, tell them to fuck off and let the security guy know your situation so the non U2 fans who gave you shit are made aware you mean business. :)

this'll work.

This thread is killing me. :rolleyes:

Why are people against a line system? I just don't understand...:shrug:

If there was no system there would be people trying to cut in all over.

I'd be more than happy to help out with the sign in's/numbering/whatever.

86.jpg

Only people who would try to cheat could be against a number system.

Bono's Tart said:

I wasnt be "so antagonsitic"
I am asking a question what will you do??

Tell security???

Its a concert thats supposed to be fun and entertaining and meeting new people not getting over excited about one person meeting up with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

Really looking forward to Boston now!! I hope they are a bit more relaxed than some of you over a queue!!!

:huh:

what's your issue anyways? Can't you at least be civil towards people?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
a few points

1 there are 2 lines usually formed late in the day, one for u2.com members who are well known for letting freinds in line ahead of others and flowing through the turnstyle ahead of those in line 2 us poor beegars who had to buy a ga through ticketmaster or wherever they could

2 securiy for the venues seem to be willing to sit back and watchthe chaos splitting the line that originaly forms into the 2 lines as above, my experience was that although .com presales ticket holders were originaly happy to take a number and advise / urge a line split they immeadiatly were on the phone after the line split to let their friends in line (this usually happened at 2nd 3rd and 4th shows that were added, ie, there was no presale that required a proof of membership

overall if you line up early the morn before the show you sould be able to invoke a first come first in rule out of sheer fairness

all line cutters, jumpers and pay to get in /paid to let in ahead of other people folks should rember the 2 words Larry had for anyone who thought the band was behind the presale debaucle...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom