San Jose 2 setlist party thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

Nooooooo.

COBL is catchy, but everything on AB gives me chills. And everything on AB blows COBL out of the water lyrically.

"waits for Axver to produce his tired two lines from TTTYAATW*

I don't need those two lines. The song is musically boring and lyrically weak and pathetic.

Never should have been on Achtung Baby.

Also, COBL flogs songs like Zoo Station and EBTTRT in the lyrics department.

Axver said:

What crap on the new album? I think it's their second best ever, just behind UF and just ahead of JT.

it's just... not good... i must admit i am a cobl fan though, yahweh is nice

You cant compare COBL with TTTYAATW
Its like comapring Streets With...I dunno.....Something......

TTTYAATW was sounded great Live. and is a Good Song. But pointless to compare with COBL.

TTTYAATW is the worst song on AB, but not nearly as bad as AMAAW, which is worse even than Wild Honey...but they're all better than Lemon

knox said:

Man, are you serious?

Have you heard War, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop? They're all better than How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb...

My rankings:

1. UF
2. HTDAAB
3. JT
4. Boy
5. War
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. AB
9. RAH
10. Pop
11. ATYCLB

bono_man2002 said:
You cant compare COBL with TTTYAATW
Its like comapring Streets With...I dunno.....Something......

TTTYAATW was sounded great Live. and is a Good Song. But pointless to compare with COBL.

well done bonoman2002, trust an Australian to talk sense into this thread!!!

Axver said:

I don't need those two lines. The song is musically boring and lyrically weak and pathetic.

Never should have been on Achtung Baby.

Dude, COBL isn't even that good lyrically. Portions of it are regurtedated(sp?) samples from LNOE, and 'oh you look so beautiful tonight' is a nice sentiment and great to sing along to but it's no lyrical marvel.

You really have a hard time accepting opinions that don't match your own, don't you?

Everything on AB > COBL. That's my OPINION.

CTU2fan said:
TTTYAATW is the worst song on AB, but not nearly as bad as AMAAW, which is worse even than Wild Honey...but they're all better than Lemon

Has this evolved from the U2 setlist party thread into the "let's bash songs" thread?

Well, in that case, ranking those songs:

1. Lemon - awesome lyrics, awesome music, awesome singing
2. AMAAW - fun song with good lyrics
3. Wild Honey - tolerable song that can be fun
4. TTTYAATW - bland b-side if I ever heard one; nothing exciting or noteworthy

But they're all brilliant compared to In A Little While This Fucking Song Will End.

Axver said:

Hmm....I'm not so sure about that.

Zoo Station is probably one of the most interesting songs that U2 has ever done, because it's essentially an abstract, explaining Achtung Baby. I love the lyrics. Even Better Than The Real Thing is a step down from Zoo Station, but its lyrics are interesting as well.

We all know that City Of Blinding Lights has some pretty good lyrics too -- "Time won't take the boy out of this man" is one of the best ones on the album, bu I don't think you can say that it flogs Zoo Station and Even Better Than The Real Thing.

The thing is that lyrics on Achtung Baby are indirect, whereas the lyrics on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are short, sweet, and to the point--doesn't make them better necessarily, though.

timothius said:

Amusing? I never got that vibe.

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"

"Took an open top beetle through the eye of a needle"

"I dreamed that I saw Dali with a super market trolley"

I do love the song, but in it's way.

Axver said:

My rankings:

1. UF
2. HTDAAB
3. JT
4. Boy
5. War
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. AB
9. RAH
10. Pop
11. ATYCLB

1.AB
2.Pop
3.Zooropa
4.JT
5.October
6.Boy
7.TUF
8.War
9.HTDAAB
10.ATYCLB
11.RAH

Outside of the top 4, this list is subject to change.

namkcuR said:

1.AB
2.Pop
3.Zooropa
4.JT
5.October
6.Boy
7.TUF
8.War
9.HTDAAB
10.ATYCLB
11.RAH

Outside of the top 4, this list is subject to change.

And yet we argue over AMAAW...

Apart from slightly high rankings on October & Boy - you have very equitable rankings!

namkcuR said:

Dude, COBL isn't even that good lyrically. Portions of it are regurtedated(sp?) samples from LNOE, and 'oh you look so beautiful tonight' is a nice sentiment and great to sing along to but it's no lyrical marvel.

You really have a hard time accepting opinions that don't match your own, don't you?

Everything on AB > COBL. That's my OPINION.

And you're trying to tell me EBTTRT is better lyrically than COBL? Come on. You might as well tell me that TTYW is the lyrically best song on JT.

My rankings:

U2's great albums: UF, JT, AB, POP, HTDAAB (order based on what I am listening to at any given moment)

Good albums: Boy, October, War, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa, Passengers, ATYCLB

TTTYATW and IALW are both very much alike. Their songs Bono wrote about hangovers...hmmm...I don't think their supposed to be brilliant pieces of music. I think their just fun songs they threw on the album. And I like them both.

By the way, they R in fact brilliant hangover songs.....I usually play them and "Sweetest Thing" on those rare occasions when I've had too much to drink.

:wink:

1. JT
2. AB
3. R&H
4. UF
5. War
6. October
7. Boy
8. HTDAAB
9. ATYCLB
10. Pop
11. Zooropa