San Jose 2 setlist party thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine Bono actually correctly playing the lead guitar line on of the OOTS chorus while he sings....Must be faked or played from under the stage....

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

Hmmm...have you listened to it over and over....and that's why you hate it? or you just hate it hate it?

Good question.

I have nothing against poppy songs that are good, it's just when they aren't that good, they really grate on my nerves.

Heard it too much for sure
Resent it because Kite and Walk On were shelved and it wasnt
think it's lyrically abyssmal for Bono's standards
the "whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo-oo" are the really bad part
the video was a disgrace

I mean I just dont like it. I think maybe I did at one time, but not anymore. I watched the Super BOwl performance earlier today, they played a montage of U2 right at the start, it was great, right up until "whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo-oo" it doesnt even fit

I hate it because it's sub-standard for U2.
I don't like Mysterious Ways either, but I don't think it's substandard for U2.

tsweeney said:

I think it was too much of a surprise though. They should have dropped a song that we could all agree on. Judging from the recent posts I can see Zoo Station returing very soon.

That is just the point. We're not attending an Interferencer-only U2 concert. A song "we could all agree on"? From this site? :lmao:

U2DMfan said:

Good question.

I have nothing against poppy songs that are good, it's just when they aren't that good, they really grate on my nerves.

Heard it too much for sure
Resent it because Kite and Walk On were shelved and it wasnt
think it's lyrically abyssmal for Bono's standards
the "whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo-oo" are the really bad part
the video was a disgrace

I mean I just dont like it. I think maybe I did at one time, but not anymore. I watched the Super BOwl performance earlier today, they played a montage of U2 right at the start, it was great, right up until "whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo-oo" it doesnt even fit

I hate it because it's sub-standard for U2.
I don't like Mysterious Ways either, but I don't think it's substandard for U2.

Ok...good enough for me. Just wanted to know. Thanks!

Roland of Gilead said:

That is just the point. We're not attending an Interferencer-only U2 concert. A song "we could all agree on"? From this site? :lmao:

You're right. I was just disappointed.

tsweeney said:

You're right. I was just disappointed.

Don't be disappointed, unless you actually believe that Zoo Station won't be played again for the remainder of the tour.

The way I see it, Zoo was a strong highlight in the first 3 shows on this tour so far. Even with Bono forgetting his parts. It'll come back.

Unless of course, Bono is actually embarassed that he hasn't nailed the lyrics word for word to date yet.

bono_man2002 said:

:lmao:
Shut up Or i'll give you the Ax!!! :reject:

You could try, but you're stuck in the moment of 2002. I'm here in 2005, so you'll miss me.

Roland of Gilead said:

Don't be disappointed, unless you actually believe that Zoo Station won't be played again for the remainder of the tour.

The way I see it, Zoo was a strong highlight in the first 3 shows on this tour so far. Even with Bono forgetting his parts. It'll come back.

Unless of course, Bono is actually embarassed that he hasn't nailed the lyrics word for word to date yet.

I agree. Maybe they are just trying to mix things up a bit. Hoping for Acrobat though.

:)

DAMN IT

The ONE song I was reallllly looking forward to seeing performed was Zoo Station. I never have seen it live. One of my favorite U2 songs. Was beyond excited to see it on the setlist every show.... have tickets to tonights show.....THEY DONT PLAY IT.

BAH

Why does God hate me....or at least Bono.

I was at the SJ2 show tonight.

It was awesome.

Bono's voice was tops.

OOTS was played for the first time this tour (full band).

Mysterious Ways replaced Zoo Station (which I would have liked to see, but the Mysterious Ways performance brought the house down).

A fantastic show. I do not like what they've done with WTSHNN, I do not like that they've ditched WOWOY, and I have no idea who that girl was they kept showing during 'One.'

U2 always pulls out all the stops in San Jose. I was at SJ2 in 2001 when they played Kite for the first time. Brilliant performance back then, brilliant tonight!

-Miggy D

And P.S. - I really, really, really miss Until The End Of The World.

P.P.S. - My parents thought the Mysterious Ways girl was a plant but I argued against the odds of that.

P.P.P.S. - Gotta love it when Bono puts on lipstick. "Well, it's the Bay Area, right?" :)

Last edited:
Oh, and also - The Fly was awesome. I liked it better this time than the last tour because it felt a lot like Zoo TV, with all of the flashing words, etc. Since I was only 9 when Zoo TV was doing the rounds, I felt that this performance of The Fly was like my little piece of Zoo TV to experience, if only for a moment. :)

Great review, Miggy! Sounds like it was an awesome show. :up: I personally cannot WAIT to hear The Fly in person... Gah!

And may I ask why Bono was putting lipstick on? LOL! :wink:

Aardvark - OOTS was great just because it was the first time in the tour, and I cherished the moment. From a critical standpoint though? You could tell it was the first time they played live full band. You could tell they were a little uneasy at times during the song. It seemed restrained, not nearly as 'free' as the studio version, if that makes sense.

forty - I'm not quite sure why he put it on. I watched the video screen, and I saw Bono gesture to a woman, then she handed him lipstick, which he then put on. He then gave this mischevious smile and said something along the lines of, "Well, it's the Bay Area, right?" And a lot of people laughed at that.

Also - I thought what he said about the Pope, and the story about giving him the Fly shades, and the fact that Bono actually had THE rosary with him that night...that was all very cool.

Also - the slimmed-down version of Yahweh was awesome. As was the new mix of Elevation. I never thought I'd come to like that song very much - and U2 has to go and change my mind!

ALSO - RUNNING TO STAND STILL KICKED F***ING ASS. Man I've been dying to hear that song live. I can almost forgive the absence of Bad and UTEOTW.

Sorry if I'm babbling. I'm on a total U2 high right now. I'm still wearing the sweatshirt I bought at the venue. :wave:

-Miggy D

OOTS was just fucking beautiful. Best song of the entire set. One was kinda off a bit tonight, just something didn't seem right about it. I also didn't think Miracle Drug and Yaweh really fit into this uptempo concert (the band and crowd didn't really seem to be former, although the latter was really beautiful with the crowd echoing the chorus). The Fly -> Mysterious Ways combo was a great way to open the encore.

The crowd energy was unbelievable, in true Bay Area fashion (the crowd went totally nuts when Sun. Bloody Sun. started, more or less to the point that it was just a huge static distortion in your ear). Bono's voice seemed stronger than it did on the LA or SD recordings, but that could just be hearing it live vs bootlegged. For example, Running to Stand Still was great tonight, much better than the previous outings. Same with Bullet the Blue Sky, seemed like it flowed better tonight. The band seems to be jelling a bit, which is good news for the rest of the Left Coast.

I bet 90% of you poeple that hate Elevation and All Because Of You were F#@*ing excited as could be when you first heard it.
Played it too much or just don't like the energy created in the songs.

I like Elevation ok, and I really don't like All Because of You that much at all. But live they were both great, in fact the new Elevation is simply kickass.

I saw a couple of little clips of OOTS that someone sent me through email and it sounded pretty good. Not only that but Bono also seemed to be wearing a pink shirt.

New Song/New Shirt.:drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom