San Diego 1: The worst of seven U2 shows I have seen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

romi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I loved hearing the old songs. I loved the people in the GA line: which went as best as possible.

Because of the lottery -- half of the people in the heart (it is pretty much the heart. Def. NOT an ellipse) stood still for the shows, even during streets. The crowd was uninspired. Except for the people on the front rail, there was no fan interaction. The band did not appear to be in it. The show was as fast as it started...

Other GA people, please post your comments... most of the people I talked to shared the same opinion.

I think the band will soon realize the lottery does not work.

then you didnt attend the same show i saw tonight. I think the reason you felt the band distant to us is cause this tour is new & fresh to them. Let them live a couple of weeks in it and you'll see hoe great a show it will be then.

but as a fan... i enjoyed the show. Not as much as Elevation, but it was good.

BTW... shame on U2 for banishing "Bad" :(

but kudos for bringing "Zoo Station" back...

but Bono, run around the goddamn catwalk a little more... especially during "The Fly"!

Last edited:
Hmm, it was pretty awesome where I was. I can't say how it was in the back. Was it that bad? Were people just standing there? During "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart", everybody around me knew the lyrics and were singing them at the top of their lungs. I can see that a lot of "mediocre" (for lack of a better word) fans might have gotten in and not known anything before Vertigo (which does suck). Where were you? I would say it was one of the best of the 8 shows I've seen (and I was in the heart in Portland and Los Angeles in '01). The band definitely looked like they were having a blast...Larry was singing along to the songs as he was drumming, Adam was smiling more than I have ever seen....probably opening day excitement I'm sure, but I thought the show was awesome. The people behind the stage were standing and going crazy even.

Last edited:
what?! what are you talking about?

the GA crowded around the ellipse was going nuts! The people in the seats were going nuts! We were so loud that i had to hold my ears at more than one point in pain! Everyone i know who had GA (quite a few of us) despite all the problems with the lotto, had a freakin BLAST! And i also thought the band did too! They even said so!

romi said:
I loved hearing the old songs. I loved the people in the GA line: which went as best as possible.

Because of the lottery -- half of the people in the heart (it is pretty much the heart. Def. NOT an ellipse) stood still for the shows, even during streets. The crowd was uninspired. Except for the people on the front rail, there was no fan interaction. The band did not appear to be in it. The show was as fast as it started...

Other GA people, please post your comments... most of the people I talked to shared the same opinion.

I think the band will soon realize the lottery does not work.
Just my point!

With a first come, first serve basis the people who wan't it most will be in the heart!

My experiences in GA with áll U2 tours are amazing, but your story is just what I'de expected with this lottery crap!

I even think that U2.com members shouldn't get half of the GA spots.. A lot of scalper tickets are among these U2.com tickets!

Just first come, first serve... And you will have a great time with 'true' U2 fans in the pit!

Im going with two other people, it would be crap if one or two of us got into the ellipse but the other(s) didn't

Ellay said:
Im going with two other people, it would be crap if one or two of us got into the ellipse but the other(s) didn't
My guess is that this procedure is a dumb US thingie.. In Europe they will probably use the good old first come, first serve procedure...

My comment concerning better crowd participation in Europe is not a provocation - it is mere bewilderment.
Watching the Boston Elevation DVD - especially the beginning. What's going on in the heart? Almost nothing!
I just don't get it. It is the beginning of the concert - everybody is supposed to jump up and down...
Then afterwards I put the Slane DVD on, and watch 80.000 people jump at the same time.
Now that's a remarkable difference...

pulle28 said:
My comment concerning better crowd participation in Europe is not a provocation - it is mere bewilderment.
Watching the Boston Elevation DVD - especially the beginning. What's going on in the heart? Almost nothing!
I just don't get it. It is the beginning of the concert - everybody is supposed to jump up and down...
Then afterwards I put the Slane DVD on, and watch 80.000 people jump at the same time.
Now that's a remarkable difference...

You are so right...:up: :up: :up:

I guess I'm weird-it doesn't matter to me if anyone else is into it, I am. And I have my own way of being into it that I don't think anyone else should dictate to me. Why does that concern people so much? You have to be jumping up and down to indicate that you are? I would have loved to have been in San Diego - I don't care what other people there were doing, as long as it didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Some people get so into it that they forget common courtesy to others-that is annoying as hell.

The DVD is not indicative of anything-I was there and I think people were sufficiently "into it". Which is more important-that or the music?

:shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I guess I'm weird-it doesn't matter to me if anyone else is into it, I am. And I have my own way of being into it that I don't think anyone else should dictate to me. Why does that concern people so much? You have to be jumping up and down to indicate that you are? I would have loved to have been in San Diego - I don't care what other people there were doing, as long as it didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Some people get so into it that they forget common courtesy to others-that is annoying as hell.

The DVD is not indicative of anything-I was there and I think people were sufficiently "into it". Which is more important-that or the music?

:shrug:

We are not criticising you... we are just stating an evidence.

I get your point MrsSpringsteen.
But I don't think you're right.
You say that it doesn't matter how much the audience is into it - just as long as they're not totally out of it.
I've seen 10 U2 shows, and to me the crowd participation is indicative of how i rate the concerts. I cannot say that the crowd makes the band better, it could be the other way round: That the band makes the crowd better.
I guess it's all about synergy.
And I'm sure that if you could pick between a mediocre audience and a totally devoted audience, the choice wouldn't be that hard to make.

I guess that what makes it important to many fans is that we're hoping for that magic evening to be exactly the evening where we are attending a U2 show.
When I heard them in Germany on the last tour, Bono said that we were so much louder than the american audience. I know he likes to please the audience, but of course it has to matter to him whether everybody in front of him are standing still or jumping around.

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of those people that doesnt think you need to go banannas the entire show to enjoy. I approach concerts from a different perspective. Sure, I applaud and yell and raise my hands, etc. But I also try watch what is going on, the little details, etc. You cant do that while jumping up and down constantly. Each person enjoys a show in their own way. It doesnt mean they are wrong and you are right. Jesus.

Honestly, from what I have seen about the Euro shows and I may get stoned for this. They seem to be more into jumping up and down over actually watching what is happening on stage. :shrug:

I have to agree with the general 'passiveness' of American fans... actually, the ones that piss me off the most are those ones that leave when they hear the first "not greatest hits" song. Many of them did leave to the bathroom or to the Hot Dog stand when they played 'Kite' during Elevation... come on, Kite! One of the most emotional songs of ATYCLB! Those people drive me nuts... I wish they would rather stay home and have a damn Hot Dog there....

:wink: hi new to this- but have enjoyed all yur info and humor- does anyone who sat behind the stage in san diego have any info on if the seats were great or ok or basically couldn't see much????

Blue Room said:
I guess I'm one of those people that doesnt think you need to go banannas the entire show to enjoy. I approach concerts from a different perspective. Sure, I applaud and yell and raise my hands, etc. But I also try watch what is going on, the little details, etc. You cant do that while jumping up and down constantly. Each person enjoys a show in their own way. It doesnt mean they are wrong and you are right. Jesus.

Honestly, from what I have seen about the Euro shows and I may get stoned for this. They seem to be more into jumping up and down over actually watching what is happening on stage. :shrug:
I think I know what you mean... I'm not a big jumper either... I also like to watch wat really happens... But the reaction of the crowd does have effect on the show... Bands just love a crow that goes babannas, and the show benefits from this...

For what you're saying about European fans who seem to be jumping more than actually watching wat's going on... This is not the case! It is out of pure emotion that these folks get that crazy... Of course this means that you can't focus the way you could when you have a seat... But the experience is much richer when you are actively adding to the show... Cause that's what it really is... Why do you think U2 calls it the 'heart' :)

Blue Room said:
Each person enjoys a show in their own way. It doesnt mean they are wrong and you are right.

Exactly

My major complaint is people who go there just to drink and/or talk, unfortunately that goes on constantly at concerts. Just stay home or go to a bar if that's what you want to.

If people are jumping or whatever during Sometimes or certain other songs, sorry, that is just weird in my opinion. Go get a pogo stick and go outside :wink:

Back
Top Bottom