Saitama II Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think side B of HTDAAB begins with ABOY. It would make sense anyway.

Axver said:

If JT had Heartland, it would probably be my favourite album ever rather than UF.
Heartland and Hawkmoon. Two reasons why nobody should ever bag out R&H. Love those songs. Reminds me I need to create a studio only version of R&H for my iPod. The 'live' songs on R&H do nothing for me. Disjointed and fudged in the studio (esp. Watchtower) I wish they were al by themselves instead of scattered as they are.

AndrewCowley said:
With all this talk of old style A and B sides (ala vinyl) it raises the question for Zooropa and beyond do we even know where the separation is? I think for AB the A side ends at So Cruel. But for Zooropa and beyond I wouldn't have a clue. Does there exist vinyl versions of any of these albums?

After consoulting my Vinyl box...

Pop was a 2LP set.

D1S1 Disco -> Mofo
D1S2 If God -> Last Night
D2S1 Gone -> Playboy
D2S2 Velvet -> Wake Up

HTDAAB Side 1 ended with City Of Blinding Lights.

Either I don't have ATYCLB, or I can't find it in my collection.

AndrewCowley said:

Heartland and Hawkmoon. Two reasons why nobody should ever bag out R&H. Love those songs. Reminds me I need to create a studio only version of R&H for my iPod. The 'live' songs on R&H do nothing for me. Disjointed and fudged in the studio (esp. Watchtower) I wish they were al by themselves instead of scattered as they are.

Well, yeah, Hawkmoon would have been great on JT too, but it didn't exist until later. Heartland is actually from the JT sessions and was originally meant to be on the album until Bono felt the album was too serious and Trip should be on there instead. I personally don't understand why he wanted Trip rather than the amazinga and single-worthy Spanish Eyes as the "light" song.

What particularly annoys me about the RAH cover of Watchtower is that it gives people totally the wrong impression of U2's cover of the song. The Lovetown versions are mindblowing and should be the version that people know, not this JT Tour interloper!

timothius said:

Pop was a 2LP set.

D1S1 Disco -> Mofo
D2S1 Gone -> Playboy
D2S2 Velvet -> Wake Up

Holy crap, the second side of the second disc is nothing short of pure quality. Those three songs are awesome - my favourite "trilogy" of songs on Pop.

timothius said:

Pop was a 2LP set.

D1S1 Disco -> Mofo
D2S1 Gone -> Playboy
D2S2 Velvet -> Wake Up
Wow. So there's 3 songs on each side? How wierd. Would it have fitted on a single LP or not? If not then I guess it makes sense to spread things out like this.

Going back to the talk earlier of the mixing on U2's CDs often being below par, are the vinyl versions any better? AB for instance (whilst I love the songs) sounds muddy and distant on CD. It lacks clarity. Is it any better on vinyl?

Axver said:

What particularly annoys me about the RAH cover of Watchtower is that it gives people totally the wrong impression of U2's cover of the song. The Lovetown versions are mindblowing and should be the version that people know, not this JT Tour interloper!

Here I am taking the contrary position again - you must think I do this on purpose, but I don't :). I prefer the R&H watchtower to the also awesome lovetown ones.
Altough I'm not familiar with the song's history - was it changed in the studio?

bgmckinney said:
Altough I'm not familiar with the song's history - was it changed in the studio?

Put it this way: calling it a live version is like calling AIWIY "With Or Without You". Sure, they share similarities, but ...

AndrewCowley said:

Wow. So there's 3 songs on each side? How wierd. Would it have fitted on a single LP or not? If not then I guess it makes sense to spread things out like this.

Going back to the talk earlier of the mixing on U2's CDs often being below par, are the vinyl versions any better? AB for instance (whilst I love the songs) sounds muddy and distant on CD. It lacks clarity. Is it any better on vinyl?

I don't really have a high quality system to play the vinyl on so take it with a grain of salt, but I do remember thinking that HTDAAB sounded a whole lot better on vinyl, as it was sort of restrained and toned down - and the individual elements were a lot more distinguishable and less sharp.

AB & Pop I didn't really notice any major difference, but I would love to hear these with a great system... maybe after Christmas. :drool:

Zooropa I don't have, but am on eBay now trying to rectify. :wink:

bgmckinney said:

Oh, what I said was probably a bit extreme, but I thought it sounded funny.

Watchtower is SERIOUSLY touched up in the studio. Vocals, guitar overdubs, you name it.

The funniest part for me is the movie, with Bono's "rock and roll stops the traffic" grafitting cut into Watchtower. It's so obvious that it wasn't done during that song and I don't even know why they tried to force it in there. Watchtower was the first song of the set; the grafitti was done during the last song, Pride.

bgmckinney said:

Here I am taking the contrary position again - you must think I do this on purpose, but I don't :). I prefer the R&H watchtower to the also awesome lovetown ones.
Comparing the R&H Watchtower to the original version as per a bootleg I have they are very different. I reckon a lot of Edge's guitar parts were re-recorded and inserted into R&H version; his playing in the R&H version just sounds different.

Also there's some extra adlibbing by Bono prior during the "all I've got is this red guitar..." part that is edited out on the R&H version.

Axver said:

Oh, what I said was probably a bit extreme, but I thought it sounded funny.

Watchtower is SERIOUSLY touched up in the studio. Vocals, guitar overdubs, you name it.

The funniest part for me is the movie, with Bono's "rock and roll stops the traffic" grafitting cut into Watchtower. It's so obvious that it wasn't done during that song and I don't even know why they tried to force it in there. Watchtower was the first song of the set; the grafitti was done during the last song, Pride.

I never actually thought they were trying to make you think the grafitti was made during the song (since you can hear Bono going "ooh-ooh" in the background as he paints)- they just wanted a good place to cut in that scene without showing Pride. It's too late tonight to drag my copy of R&H into the light and start watching, but I think you can see Bono singing the majority of the song exactly as it sounds. I can hear what you mean about guitar overdubs, but that's about it. I've heard audience boots of most of the other R&H performances and they sound exactly the same as they did in the film - don't know why watchtower should be too different.

AndrewCowley said:

Comparing the R&H Watchtower to the original version as per a bootleg I have they are very different. I reckon a lot of Edge's guitar parts were re-recorded and inserted into R&H version; his playing in the R&H version just sounds different.

Also there's some extra adlibbing by Bono prior during the "all I've got is this red guitar..." part that is edited out on the R&H version.

Thanks. I'll have to track down the boot.

It seems to me that Watchtower was touched up a fair bit more than the others. Then again, that was an impromptu concert and it was the first performance of Watchtower since 1981 (and only the second time U2 had covered it ever). The other shows were well-planned and the songs had been done live multiple times before with extensive soundchecking. So I can see why Watchtower would have required more work in the studio than any of the others.

What I think is a huge tragedy is that Mothers Of The Disappeared missed out on making RAH. The bootlegged RAH Rough Cut features an absolutely gorgeous performance of the song from Tempe.

bgmckinney said:

I can hear what you mean about guitar overdubs, but that's about it. I've heard audience boots of most of the other R&H performances and they sound exactly the same as they did in the film - don't know why watchtower should be too different.
For me once I know Edge's guitar parts have been interfered with in the studio I have a very hard time accepting any song as being truly live. Watchtower on R&H falls into this category.

There is one other live song on R&H that I've always wondered about. Bullet The Blue Sky. I've got craploads of JT boots, including all the great quality ones (e.g. Denver) and there's two things unique about the R&H version that make me suspicious about it. One is it seems slow to me. I reckon it might be slowed down a touch, perhaps to emphasise the massive bottom end that the song has (i.e. Adam's rumbling bass). Two is Bono's voice. His voice on the R&H version is just so amazingly deep and I've never heard it that way on any other version.

Oh, while we're on the topic of RAH's editing, there is one other rather big edit, at least from my point of view: Bono's speech in Silver And Gold was actually quite longer live and is seriously edited down.

I just wish they'd cut out the silly "OK Edge, play the blues!" comment as well. :wink:

Axver said:
It seems to me that Watchtower was touched up a fair bit more than the others. Then again, that was an impromptu concert and it was the first performance of Watchtower since 1981 (and only the second time U2 had covered it ever). The other shows were well-planned and the songs had been done live multiple times before with extensive soundchecking. So I can see why Watchtower would have required more work in the studio than any of the others.

What I think is a huge tragedy is that Mothers Of The Disappeared missed out on making RAH. The bootlegged RAH Rough Cut features an absolutely gorgeous performance of the song from Tempe.

Good point.
Never heard the Mothers... but the OTH outtake is lovely.

Originally posted by Axver What I think is a huge tragedy is that Mothers Of The Disappeared missed out on making RAH. The bootlegged RAH Rough Cut features an absolutely gorgeous performance of the song from Tempe. [/B]
They should have ditched the idea of the film being part doco since that's where it fails and just made a regular concert video not intended for the cinema. Ditch the scant doco stuff and add a few extra songs. Although having said that I adore the Heartland section of the movie.

AndrewCowley said:

Two is Bono's voice. His voice on the R&H version is just so amazingly deep and I've never heard it that way on any other version.

Point Depot 1-1-90 (or 12-31-89, same thing) sounds deeper to me.
As far as S&G goes, Axver, I love the play the blues comment.
This is only slightly apropos, but I'm thinking of this right now - and then I'm off to bed. When I was in high school I spent years in love with the same girl. Turned out she liked me, too, but it took us ages to get together. She found out I was a big U2 fan, and after the first time I went over to her house, as my father was waiting outside to pick me up (I was a teenager), she was standing in the doorway talking, talking, talking. Finally she said, "Am I buggin you? I don't mean to bug ya." And she gave me a very shy smile. That was when I knew she was mine.
Such a sweet memory...

bgmckinney said:

As far as S&G goes, Axver, I love the play the blues comment.

Actually, I don't mind it at all, but it just cops so much flak that it would have been better to have just left it out!

And hee, that was a great story!

And I really should be posting in the other thread. Oh well. Next post!

bgmckinney said:

Yes but that is 2 years later. Bono's Lovetown voice is pretty different to his JT voice. The version of Bullet on R&H seems out of step with every other JT tour version of R&H that I've heard.

AndrewCowley said:

Yes but that is 2 years later. Bono's Lovetown voice is pretty different to his JT voice. The version of Bullet on R&H seems out of step with every other JT tour version of R&H that I've heard.

Yes the Lovetown voice is:

hoarse, a lot of kermit, unstabile, shaky, can't hold the notes all the way out like he did on JT tour, less wide and full voice then JT.

His Lovetown voice In my opinion is overrated.

Voice eras list
1986-06-15
ZooTV Tour
Vertigo Tour
UF
JT
War
Lt
Popmart
October
Boy

Status