Saitama II Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vertigo Tour closers:

· 40 (61)
· Vertigo (37)
· Bad (15)
· Kite (7)
· All I Want Is You (4)
· One Tree Hill (2)
· With Or Without You (1)
· Fast Cars (1)
· Instant Karma! (1)
· Love Is Blindness (1)

That's a total of 10. Plus Yahweh closed the private 2005-06-09, Brussels rehearsal.

Popmart closers:

· Unchained Melody (22)
· Wake Up Dead Man (20)
· One (16)
· MLK (12)
· Rain (6)
· Hallelujah (5)
· 40 (4)
· Mothers Of The Disappeared (4)
· Can't Help Falling In Love (2)
· She's A Mystery To Me (1)
· Staring At The Sun (1)

That's a total of 11. However, some people feel that at least a few of those songs barely count as more than snippets at the end of One, so it's debatable.

Axver said:

Yeah, Pride is pretty much the only link from UF back to U2's earlier material. I often wonder if it would have been better off as a stand-alone single released a little earlier, and then something like The Three Sunrises put on UF and either it or ASOH used as the UF lead single. Probably wouldn't have gone down as well though.

It's just strange that for their most understated and subtle album features their most overstated song (although some stuff off the Bomb might touch it).

Axver said:

Are you serious? I consider Achtung and HTDAAB to be two of the worst mixed albums released by anyone. Achtung's far too indistinct, to the point that So Cruel is unlistenable and UTEOTW's ending is sucked of all its life. And HTDAAB, oh my goodness, HTDAAB - whoever thought "louder is better" is true is insane. The clipping on HTDAAB drives me nuts; you just can't play that loud. I thought my CD was defective initially, but it's not.

Well. One of the things I love about this site is that I come across opinions that surprise me and make listen in a new way. It reminds me that my way of hearing U2 is not the only way, which is cool.
Achtung is not perfect - it almost is - but I could not re-mix it better. U2 are perfectionists, and although of course I think they do misstep from time to time, I really believe that the sound on that album is exactly the sound they wanted. More than any other album, including UF. Achtung is blend of sonic dreamscapes like nothing I have heard before or since.

timothius said:

It's just strange that for their most understated and subtle album features their most overstated song (although some stuff off the Bomb might touch it).

Just be thankful they didn't make UF today. Have you seen U218's tracklisting? The UF equivalent would have been something nauseating like Promenade/Pride/Bad.

bgmckinney said:

Well. One of the things I love about this site is that I come across opinions that surprise me and make listen in a new way. It reminds me that my way of hearing U2 is not the only way, which is cool.
Achtung is not perfect - it almost is - but I could not re-mix it better. U2 are perfectionists, and although of course I think they do misstep from time to time, I really believe that the sound on that album is exactly the sound they wanted. More than any other album, including UF. Achtung is blend of sonic dreamscapes like nothing I have heard before or since.

How do you defend HTDAAB? I know I'm in a minority with regards to my opinion on Achrtung, though I have had even some of the most ardent Achtung fans agree with me that UTEOTW's mixing is shit and the song only really comes alive in concert. But you didn't single out HTDAAB for any abuse and I know barely anyone who even likes HTDAAB's mixing. Listen especially to the intro to Crumbs. I seriously thought my CD was scratched or otherwise defective when I first played that, due to the clipping.

Axver said:

Yeah, Pride is pretty much the only link from UF back to U2's earlier material. I often wonder if it would have been better off as a stand-alone single released a little earlier, and then something like The Three Sunrises put on UF and either it or ASOH used as the UF lead single. Probably wouldn't have gone down as well though.
Looking at TUF in terms of how originally came out, with a A side and a B side, my 'problem' with it is the B side. The A side is wonderful. The B side with 4th of July, EPAA and Indian Summer Sky is pretty weak. The momentum and beauty of the A side gets sort of lost. Of course you have Bad in there which just about carries the B side all by itself. But I think it's 2 good songs short of being truly great.

AndrewCowley said:

Looking at TUF in terms of how originally came out, with a A side and a B side, my 'problem' with it is the B side. The A side is wonderful. The B side with 4th of July, EPAA and Indian Summer Sky is pretty weak. The momentum and beauty of the A side gets sort of lost. Of course you have Bad in there which just about carries the B side all by itself. But I think it's 2 good songs short of being truly great.

I simply can't agree with you there. I think Bad and Indian Summer Sky are absolutely incredible songs - ISS is grossly under-rated. And I find EPAA, especially its final minute, to be very haunting.

I prefer the CD version, just because I think the flow of UF/Promenade/4th Of July/Bad is amazing. 4th Of July really comes into its own as a segue from Promenade to Bad.

Axver said:
Vertigo Tour closers:

· 40 (61)
· Vertigo (37)
· Bad (15)
· Kite (7)
· All I Want Is You (4)
· One Tree Hill (2)
· With Or Without You (1)
· Fast Cars (1)
· Instant Karma! (1)
· Love Is Blindness (1)

That's a total of 10. Plus Yahweh closed the private 2005-06-09, Brussels rehearsal.

Popmart closers:

· Unchained Melody (22)
· Wake Up Dead Man (20)
· One (16)
· MLK (12)
· Rain (6)
· Hallelujah (5)
· 40 (4)
· Mothers Of The Disappeared (4)
· Can't Help Falling In Love (2)
· She's A Mystery To Me (1)
· Staring At The Sun (1)

That's a total of 11. However, some people feel that at least a few of those songs barely count as more than snippets at the end of One, so it's debatable.

Thanks for that.
Clearly I am way out of the loop on Popmart. (That was the tour with the trabants, right? :wink:) They closed with hallelujah? With MLK? With 40? What planet have I been on?

Axver said:

How do you defend HTDAAB? I know I'm in a minority with regards to my opinion on Achrtung, though I have had even some of the most ardent Achtung fans agree with me that UTEOTW's mixing is shit and the song only really comes alive in concert. But you didn't single out HTDAAB for any abuse and I know barely anyone who even likes HTDAAB's mixing. Listen especially to the intro to Crumbs. I seriously thought my CD was scratched or otherwise defective when I first played that, due to the clipping.

I love HTDAAB's mixing. I think some songs could be arranged better - ABOY, mainly - but I simply like the way it sounds. I think it's what they wanted. A man and a woman - dare I even bring this up? :) - is one of the most perfectly mixed songs I've ever heard from them. I do think it's a bit of a headphones album, though.

AndrewCowley said:

Great point in general. I much prefer listening to albums ordered with the A/B side listener in mind. Nowadays the norm is to stack the singles at the front and let the B-side die in the arse (not just U2, although their last two albums have essentially been tutorials on the art). But you're right TUF does seem a little heavily stacked, as does JT come to think of it.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I simply can't agree with you there. I think Bad and Indian Summer Sky are absolutely incredible songs - ISS is grossly under-rated. And I find EPAA, especially its final minute, to be very haunting.

I prefer the CD version, just because I think the flow of UF/Promenade/4th Of July/Bad is amazing. 4th Of July really comes into its own as a segue from Promenade to Bad.
Yeah, that's cool. I'm sure the EPAA thing has been done to death in many threads but I'm in the camp that says it doesn't belong on the album in this incomplete form. ISS I've always thought to be a filler track compared to some of the A side tracks. I just think the album could lose EPAA and if you added another song of the same quality as any of the opening 5 then bingo you have nirvana. Love Comes Tumbling would do. I love that song!

timothius said:

Great point in general. I much prefer listening to albums ordered with the A/B side listener in mind. Nowadays the norm is to stack the singles at the front and let the B-side die in the arse (not just U2, although their last two albums have essentially been tutorials on the art). But your right TUF does seem a little heavily stacked, as does JT come to think of it.
Ah but it works on JT because those B side songs are gems. None of them were released as singles (yes, I know OTH was released as a 7" in NZ... but there was no video so it doesn't count) but they are wonderful. Back to TUF, I do love that album, but after the opening 5 songs it doesn't quite deliver the knockout punch. JT on the other hand just carries on to the end 100% all the way.

bgmckinney said:

Thanks for that.
Clearly I am way out of the loop on Popmart. (That was the tour with the trabants, right? :wink:) They closed with hallelujah? With MLK? With 40? What planet have I been on?

The shows closed with Hallelujah were on the first leg of the tour and it was pretty much a glorified snippet at the end of One. I've often been tempted to just change it into a snippet but I keep hesitating.

MLK was used as a closer mainly on the second leg in Europe.

40 was used as a closer on special occasions, such as the last US show and the very last show of the tour. It was not the traditional 40, but just Bono on vocals and Edge on guitar, if I remember the boots correctly.

Popmart's setlist diversity was largely non-existent except for its closers.

bgmckinney said:

I love HTDAAB's mixing. I think some songs could be arranged better - ABOY, mainly - but I simply like the way it sounds. I think it's what they wanted. A man and a woman - dare I even bring this up? :) - is one of the most perfectly mixed songs I've ever heard from them. I do think it's a bit of a headphones album, though.

I won't argue the point with you, even though I feel parts of HTDAAB's mixing are objectively rather than subjectively terrible (especially my Crumbs example), but I do want to say that I was listening to A Man And A Woman earlier today for the first time in over a year and I don't know why it cops so much crap on these forums. It's actually quite a nice song, well structured, and I like its soft, summery sound.

Axver said:

40 was used as a closer on special occasions, such as the last US show and the very last show of the tour. It was not the traditional 40, but just Bono on vocals and Edge on guitar, if I remember the boots correctly.
Yes, that's it. I love these PopMart versions of 40. Beautiful guitar playing by Edge. To me it's Edge personified. Very simple technique wise and it's all down to the sound not necessarily the playing.

AndrewCowley said:

Ah but it works on JT because those B side songs are gems. None of them were released as singles (yes, I know OTH was released as a 7" in NZ... but there was no video so it doesn't count) but they are wonderful. Back to TUF, I do love that album, but after the opening 5 songs it doesn't quite deliver the knockout punch. JT on the other hand just carries on to the end 100% all the way.

Well, OTH did have an unofficial video made by TVNZ. :wink: And In God's Country was a single in some parts of the world too.

JT's second half is definitely superb - I actually think its the better half of the album. The Suite Of Death trio that finishes the album blows me away every time. Very eerie, dark, and excellent music.

AndrewCowley said:

Don't get me wrong, the final three are amazing, but they would be even more amazing if they didn't have the disjointed lead in of Red Hill -> IGC -> Trip... Imagine One Tree Hill coming out of Running To Stand Still :drool:

Axver said:

I was listening to A Man And A Woman earlier today for the first time in over a year and I don't know why it cops so much crap on these forums. It's actually quite a nice song, well structured, and I like its soft, summery sound.

Bono said once that they wanted it to sound like a song you would hear coming out of the open windows of taxicabs in new york in the summer.
It does.

OK, I hope some folks from Saitama are online soon, because I'm sure we don't have all the snippets yet! After all the discussion of snippets on this thread, there better have been some more tonight! :lol:

Here's what I have so far. Source: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1504.html

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
7. Angel Of Harlem
8. The First Time
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. One Tree Hill
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

encore(s):
17. The Fly
18. Mysterious Ways
19. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
20. Window In The Skies
21. Desire
22. All I Want Is You

With all this talk of old style A and B sides (ala vinyl) it raises the question for Zooropa and beyond do we even know where the separation is? I think for AB the A side ends at So Cruel. But for Zooropa and beyond I wouldn't have a clue. Does there exist vinyl versions of any of these albums?

timothius said:

Don't get me wrong, the final three are amazing, but they would be even more amazing if they didn't have the disjointed lead in of Red Hill -> IGC -> Trip... Imagine One Tree Hill coming out of Running To Stand Still :drool:

Imagine if Bono hadn't had his way and Trip hadn't replaced Heartland at the last minute. :sad:

If JT had Heartland, it would probably be my favourite album ever rather than UF.

AndrewCowley said:
With all this talk of old style A and B sides (ala vinyl) it raises the question for Zooropa and beyond do we even know where the separation is? I think for AB the A side ends at So Cruel. But for Zooropa and beyond I wouldn't have a clue. Does there exist vinyl versions of any of these albums?

As far as I know there are vinyl versions of all U2 albums - although i personally have only seen HTDAAB, Pop and ATYCLB in the post-Achtung era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom