Rod Laver or Vodafone for Melbourne?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just a thought I had, what would Rod Laver or Vodaphone Arena been like for U2? Obviously there woudl have been less seats, but I haven't been there to see a concert, as I missed Split Enz. But for anyone who has been there to see a concert, would it have worked as an arena for the Vertigo Tour? Are either bigger than where they performed in Brisbane, Syndey, Adelaide or NZ?

Umm, are you asking if Rod Laver/Vodafone Arenas are bigger than the venues U2 played in Sydney/Brisbane/Adelaide on this tour? Rod Laver holds I think about 16,000 for a concert. Telstra Stadium, where U2 played in Sydney, held close to 80,000 for each of the concerts.

As far as arena size goes, I think the three largest in Australia are the SuperDome in Sydney (20,000), Rod Laver & the Burswood Dome in Perth (both about 16,000). Brisbane Ent Cent holds about 12,000. I think Vodafone holds about 8,000. The Sydney Ent Cent holds about 10,000 and I have no idea what Adelaide has.

I'd be guessing that U2 would go for Rod Laver as i'm led to believe its larger.

Most of the arenas mentioned in Earnies post probably would have been alright for U2 arena shows (although towards the very very small lets play stadiums instead end of the scale)

Adelaide has the Distinctive Homes Dome (aka the Powerhouse - i don't know which is worse).

Uh, Adelaide does have an Entertainment Centre, where Split Enz, Coldplay and REM have played in the last couple of years. I dunno what the capacity is, 5-8,000?

Anyway, hasn't U2 played Rod Laver already? Lovetown? It was called something else then.

It was called the National Tennis Centre all those years ago...and yep, U2 did several shows there during the Lovetown tour.

I saw Split Enz there recently but I'd have to say that Melbourne's Telstra Dome suited U2 so much more...just my humble opinion though!

blueeyedgirl said:
Uh, Adelaide does have an Entertainment Centre, where Split Enz, Coldplay and REM have played in the last couple of years. I dunno what the capacity is, 5-8,000?

Anyway, hasn't U2 played Rod Laver already? Lovetown? It was called something else then.

5,000 :ohmy: lol we are not that bad. Its about 11,000-12,500 depending on stage and seat configurations.

Back
Top Bottom