Revolutionary LED screen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
NEW @U2 VERTIGO TOUR TO USE 'REVOLUTIONARY LED SCREEN...'
February 25, 2005
posted by: m2
The folks at Brilliant Stages in the U.K. -- who worked with U2 on the Elevation Tour -- are once again putting together some of the pieces for the upcoming U2 tour. How does a "revolutionary LED screen" sound?

Who's that "Systems Technologies in Belgium" they refer to?

I'm guessing it's this company that was apparently just bought out by a company named Barco. BTW, Systems Technologies is also known as "Innovative Designs."

Okay ... so, who's Barco? They're the company that did the LED video screens and projection system on the Elevation Tour, of course.

from atu2

yes, after PopMart there can't be nothing "revolutionary", unles it's some 3D, holographic (sp?) technology...

I believe this revolutionary LED screen will be similiar to the screens used at the MTV VMA awards in August and the Paul McCartney halftime show at the SuperBowl a few weeeks ago. Essentially the stage also becomes the screen and it is not just the standard "square boxes" that are vertical. I witnessed in person in amazement the clarity of the LED stage at the MTV VMA awards and it was unbelievable. U2 has always been on top of new technology and I think we will be blown away this time with the entire stage being a video screen. On top of the video, I can't wait to hear the new audio technology that will supposedly debut on this tour. I hear that they will be able to move sound around in the same fashion that a spotlight would move light around.

I can't remember where it was but wasn't Edge quoted on the new technology and the company that was doing it for this tour?

The stage being a giant screen thing would be pretty stupid at a CONCERT, where half the audience couldn't see it. Makes sense for a televised performance like the VMAs or the Super Bowl, but it would be a waste of time/money in this case.

lazarus said:
The stage being a giant screen thing would be pretty stupid at a CONCERT, where half the audience couldn't see it. Makes sense for a televised performance like the VMAs or the Super Bowl, but it would be a waste of time/money in this case.
that's what i was thinking

lazarus said:

Actually, GA will consist of maybe 20 percent of the audience. It makes perfect sense, and would be a great stage effect.

elfyx said:
Actually, GA will consist of maybe 20 percent of the audience. It makes perfect sense, and would be a great stage effect.

What about all the people in the lower bowl whose angle with the stage is too shallow to really work? All of the shots of the Super Bowl stage and then the Oscars that showed the video screens werefrom above, where you could see the screen.

And how is this "Revolutionary" if everyone else has been doing it? It's hardly like U2 to copy the current fad in staging, right?

Westport said:
I can't remember where it was but wasn't Edge quoted on the new technology and the company that was doing it for this tour?

Audio Spotlight out of Cambridge Mass (MIT.) Do a search see their site. As impressive as aimed audio would be, I am not sure the technology is there yet...

It is being used, but at a much smaller scale - I know they wanted it for the next tour, I am just not sure they can amplify to an arena yet.

But who knows - maybe we will be surprised...

As for the screen I am thinking that the stage will actually be the screen as we have seen a the Halftime show, the Oscars etc...

And yes, the company is called Barco.

How about waiting till it comes out before speculating on things.

The Popmart screen was revolutionary for its time it wouldnt be revolutionary now, there was actually many flaws with it especially in the assembling of it, but not only that it wasnt as clear as it could be if it was made today.

I already see the negativity creeping out in this thread when we havent even seen the stage yet.

The screens used at the Super Bowl (Paul Mccarthy) were amazing. They were crystal clear and could be seen miles away. Whatever it is we'll be :drool: over it.

Back
Top Bottom