Reserved seating "etiquette"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NHHobie said:

Hey Neil: Just don't sit in the seating section. Find a ticket in the SRO section. Their usually cheaper $$$ also.

This "fuck everyone else" attitude is really lame. I do trust you have a bit more class than that. Hey you dig U2 and Motley right?

In the old days, my own behavior was not all that great. Included in my antics was fighting, puking on others, countless amounts of spilled beverage showers etc. etc. Hey lots of people acted the same silly way. No big deal right. Hey it's a Rock Concert.

Luckily age has given me a bit of perspective on things in life. And perhaps you will learn (earlier in life) that a bit of class will serve you a lot further than acting like a selfish jack ass. I finally woke up.

As I posted earlier, enjoy the hell out of the show. But show a bit of consideration for your fellow concert goers.

And if everyone is standing throughout the show. STAND UP and don't miss a frigging song.

Regards,

Hobie

Hiya Hobie - don't get me wrong - I've been watching U2 since I was 11 years old on the Unforgettable Fire Tour at Milton Keynes Bowl. In them days I could barely see a damn thing, so standing on ground level with everyone else was not really an option so my Dad took me up on the grass bank so I could see something. For the Vertigo tour I'm taking my eldest daughter to her first rock concert - I want her first show to be U2 just like mine was.

My argument is that not everyone wants to go to a rock show and sit down and tap their hands on their knees the entire show. Sometimes with tickets you don't have a choice. If you don't get GA then you have to take the seats. I chose seats for the Brisbane Vertigo show as I'm taking my little girl.

I have been to gigs all over the world - I don't care who the band is - if I like 'em I go whether it be in a club, arena or stadium. I love music, simple. I'm all for having respect for other concert goers, there is no fuck you attitude. I've never acted like a jackass at a show I've been to either. I've always gone purely for the music.

Now I'm six foot fricking 3 and very concious that if I stand up, half the people directly behind me for several rows are not going to see a thing. I'm well aware that I'm not made of glass. I'm therefore not going to purposely stand up in front of a whole section of people sitting down and ruin it for them. If people in front of me are standing up though, that is a different thing altogther, I will stand up!!

What I do get annoyed at is people who, at the second of a mass stand up in the seating section, start shouting abuse and threaten violence at the people directly in front of them because they cannot be arsed to stand up. Not many people pick on me I can tell you, but I've seen it happen at nearly every show I've been to over here in Oz. It just sucks. I never saw that in England.

I still think seats do not belong at rock shows, and nothing is going to change my mind, but realistically we all know that is never going to happen.

Thanks for the opinion anyway Hobie - I do get where you are coming from and I hope you don't think I am an inconsiderate jackass - it's all about opinion, that's all. I'll enjoy the show, no matter what. No one will ruin it for me, but please people, remember to get up and dance if you're in the seating section!!!

Cheers

I don't really have a whole lot to add, as I'd be pretty much repeating what others like neilm and bono_man have said, but just a couple of comments ...

NHHobie said:

Hey Neil: Just don't sit in the seating section. Find a ticket in the SRO section. Their usually cheaper $$$ also.

Bit tough when there's no standing section. The entire Finn Brothers concert last year was seats, and same goes for the Split Enz concert that I'm going to in June this year. I'm hoping that the back row at the Split Enz gig is empty and I can go up there and have a good time. I'm not going to sit in the middle of a crowd of mannequins and barely animated corpses.

For U2, I made a point of getting standing tickets. As much as I'd like to experience a show or two from a different angle, I'd want to stand and I'm not taking the risk of having my enjoyment ruined by anyone who thinks they've gone to see a movie.

Interestingly, when I did have seats in Boston at U2's gig on 24 May 2005, I was right up the back on the highest level and everyone I could see was on their feet ... Finn Brothers here, even the front row was sitting down. Just a few people were waving their arms in the air.

fly so high! said:
I think i know what the problem is, it must be Queensland shows ONLY, seriously check it out! The aussies that are also agreeing with you are from Queensland too!:laugh:

Interestingly, when I first got home from the Finn Brothers gig and started whining about the crowd, a couple of people chimed in and said that while they think Australian audiences in general have stank for the last few years, Queensland has been significantly worse than down south.

I have to say i once went to a Fleetwood Mac concert we were in a seating area and ( myself and hubby were dancing and yelling out! and we were not the only ones either!) not one person told us to shutup or anything!!!!

Incidently, if I remember correctly, the show where my mother was forcibly pulled back into her seats was a Fleetwood Mac concert in Brisbane.

We had reserved seats for Pop Mart and Elevation. For Pop Mart, we were down on the floor, and there was nobody right behind us, so not only was I standing...but I was standing on my chair. A security dude came over and told me to get down. Once he left, Dad told me to get right back up there! That happened several times throughout the night. :laugh: During Elevation, the people behind us were pretty drunk, so I don't think they even noticed/cared if I was obstructing their view.

Welp, I'm glad to see that some of the folks reading this post have an idea of what I'm talking about. Others... I'm not so sure.
I've seen some ugly confrontations lately, and it always seems to be centered around someones sight line being obstructed by a fellow fan standing or dancing in front of them.

Generally if a lot of folks in front of you are standing, people in back of you understand that you'll have to stand in order to see, as will they.

It's the folks that stand up and block the view of the folks behind them, when there is no reason to stand up that I have the problem with.

We had seats at the Fall U2 show here in Boston and were 2 rows up on the balcony and the fans in front of us felt compelled to stand during the entire show. No reason for them to stand the entire show other than pure selfishness. Sure dance a few songs, sit for a few, get up and dance some more. I have no problem with that if you look like you are trying to accomodate the folks behind you.

And again, when in Rome , do as the Romans. If the majority of people in front of you are standing and you can't see. Go ahead and stand. I'm going to have to stand anyway.

Hobie

I'm specifically refering to the example of the folks standing in the FIRST ROW of the balcony.

I'm not insisting that they sit and be comatose the entire concert. Just show some consideration for the folks behind you that may not be as youthful as you.

I'm not sure how old you are but I wish you good health, and when you reach my age and are still loving R & R, perhaps you may have a better understanding of what I'm talking about here.
Perhaps my kids can buy seats in front of you and carry on with all the self absorbed foolishness of youth. I'll remind them to be sure to bring their cell phones and to sing as off key as possible.

Sorry if I seem like an old fart, but I am just amazed at how many young people today seem to have missed the finer points of kindergarden.

Geez..Sheryl Crow is putting here March tour on hold. Lets all hope her radiation therapy goes well.

Regards All

Hobie

NHHobie said:

Perhaps my kids can buy seats in front of you and carry on with all the self absorbed foolishness of youth. I'll remind them to be sure to bring their cell phones and to sing as off key as possible.

Sorry if I seem like an old fart, but I am just amazed at how many young people today seem to have missed the finer points of kindergarden.

Kids today, what can you do with them? They want to go to concerts and sing along and have a good time. Some of them even have the nerve to dance! What troublemakers.

Funny that you're complaining about young fans, because the people I had the most trouble with were drunk off their ass forty-somethings who kept climbing over me to make another beer run at one show. They bumped into me. One of them sloshed half a beer on my jeans. But you know what? I didn't let it bug me. We all toasted the excellent performance jumped up and down together during Streets. We had a good time.

For the most part, U2 fans are some of the best around. About 99% of the people I was around at shows this year--whether 15 or 55--were cool and considerate. We watched out for one another. We all danced and sang and had a good time. It's a rock and roll show, though, not a symphony.

:dance: !

NHHobie said:
when you reach my age and are still loving R & R, perhaps you may have a better understanding of what I'm talking about here.

God love ya! I'm 44, and if I ever turn into an old fart like you, I will stop going to concerts.

I've been going to concerts since I was about 12, and I've had good times and not so good times. So put away your Geritol and rocking chair and join us. Stop blaming your boringness on your age; that won't work anymore.

martha said:

God love ya! I'm 44, and if I ever turn into an old fart like you, I will stop going to concerts.

I've been going to concerts since I was about 12, and I've had good times and not so good times. So put away your Geritol and rocking chair and join us. Stop blaming your boringness on your age; that won't work anymore.

Hi Martha:

You are far too young to know what the heck Geritol is. Do they even make that "snake oil" anymore? I must say that I got quite a chuckle regarding your opinion that I am boring. My wife would love to see that. Shes hung in there for 25 years, and I guess she likes adventure, and readily would welcome less of it from me.

Don't stop rocking, just be aware of your surroundings and have a good time. You mentioned that some of your concert experiences were not that great. Was it the music or something else?

I concur that some of the most loutish behavior I've seen recently has been by middle aged guys. Rudeness does not have age/gender perameters.

Can't remember where I put the "Strat" and if I own a rocking chair. LOL.

Hobie

Feel free to get up and dance to your heart's content. And if people give you shit about it...don't get mad...see if you can get them energized enough about the show to get up and dance with you.

I have no problemns with standing but what if the people infront of you are like really tall and you cant see past them?

Hey Mandy:

This is the kind of juvinile attitude that I'm talking about. You think because you pay your stupid money you own the frigging place.

Is slam dancing okay with you ? How bout a bit of surfing ? Not a problem for you ?

Or do even you draw the line somewhere ?

Hobie

Excuse me? Juvenille? I think you will find i'm not exactly a teenager, and have been a U2 fan since the mid 1980's

I will be travelling interstate the morning of the concert, therefore am unable to line up all day for general admission (I have work comittments, and was only JUST able to get the 2 days off to go to melbourne.)

Does this mean that because i can't line up all day for GA that i am not entitled to dance and enjoy myself?

I also notice you are from the USA, you guys get SO many U2 gigs, that maybe the whole excitement of the experience gets worn down over time. It will be 12 years, 4 months since my last U2 concert experience here in australia, and by god i will be dancing and singing like there is no tomorrow!!

Last edited:
I had people having a go at me for standing in the GA seating at Manchester last year..

It's a rock concert for gods sake. I'm surprised they didnt ask for the volume to be turned down as well.

mandy1973 said:
Well, all i can say is i've paid my $200 for A reserve seats in melbourne and to hell with anyone who dares to tell me to sit down on my arse and stop dancing !!!

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dance: :dance: :dance:

EXACTLY :up:

I've never stayed in my seat at a concert - U2 or otherwise. I like to dance and get into the music. In GA - depending on where you're standing, some people tend to stand a little too close - which changes pretty quickly after they've gotten an elbow to their chest a few times :D

Ms Giggles:

So let me understand this. If you are, say... dancing in the GA section, and some folks get into what you interpret as "your space" you feel its okay to physically create some space for yourself?

Hmmm.

How would you say someone like Jeffo17 should respond when someone blocks his sightline.

He has paid for his ticket, and has every right to enjoy the show as much as you.

Again, I'm sure as hell not advocating that everybody sit like they are at Saturday Mass. Just be aware that you might be diminishing the concert enjoyment of others behind you.

Mandy: Sorry to here about the drought, not seeing U2 for 12 years would indeed be hard to take. Can't even imagine that. We are fortunate that they come to Boston quite often.

Keep Rocking.

Hobie

NHHobie said:
Ms Giggles:

So let me understand this. If you are, say... dancing in the GA section, and some folks get into what you interpret as "your space" you feel its okay to physically create some space for yourself?

Hmmm.

How would you say someone like Jeffo17 should respond when someone blocks his sightline.

He has paid for his ticket, and has every right to enjoy the show as much as you.

Again, I'm sure as hell not advocating that everybody sit like they are at Saturday Mass. Just be aware that you might be diminishing the concert enjoyment of others behind you.

Mandy: Sorry to here about the drought, not seeing U2 for 12 years would indeed be hard to take. Can't even imagine that. We are fortunate that they come to Boston quite often.

Keep Rocking.

Hobie

They wouldn't have to worry about that if they didn't feel they needed to be joined to my hip now would they?????????

I'm just wondering what all of you will do when, 80 years old and an acoustic machine to hear the songs, you'll get young people standing up right in front of you, singing completely off and shooting your walking-stick away while dancing.
What will you do when you'll be 80 ?
- (A) not attend U2 concerts any more (even if Bono, same age, is still on stage) but let the young people enjoy by themselves
- (B) go, seat and stay calm, even if you can't hear or see anything you'll, and spend the time remembering when was the last time you heard the Discotheque version Papy Bono seems to be singing.
- (C) spit your braces at those young bastards and make room with your stick.
The problem is a little particular compared to the discussion, but I would be intersted in your vote !

NHHobie said:

Don't stop rocking, just be aware of your surroundings and have a good time. You mentioned that some of your concert experiences were not that great. Was it the music or something else?

Hobester,

It's funny you mention this. The few times an audience has affected my enjoyment of a concert involved an audience of the dead. Springsteen, maybe on the River tour, maybe one of the times I went the week he was in LA for Born in the USA, I dunno; anyway, I was in the fourth row, twisting my ass off, and the folks around me were just sitting there, somewhat like I imagine you doing, "listening" to the music. We couldn't believe that these people were sitting at a fucking Springsteen concert. In the fourth row during the encore. The other time was at an Elevation show, in LA once again. I was sitting in the section reserved for dead people. No one was moving. Well, except me. The other time an audience affected the show was the first time I saw Jimmy Cliff. Some asshole was bird whistling throught the singing.

No, the majority of the not so good concerts have been because of the performances. Peter Tosh came on 90 minutes late, thinking he was God's gift. (News flash: He wasn't worth the wait, especially following Jimmy Cliff.) Joe Jackson, the first time I saw him, was puking into a bucket between songs, snarling at us. (The second time I saw him, he was much healthier and just fine.) Of course, Suicide opened for him that first time, and the audience was mightily annoyed. The Knack just plain sucked as an opening band, as did the Bangles. And really, having to sit through Sammy hagar twice as an opening act is two times too many in this girl's life. The second (or third) time I saw Steel Pulse, they had turned into an 80s techno version of a right-wing group of nutjobs, so that show wasn't all that great.

I have to say the best shows have been with a fully engaged audience who clearly understood was a rock concert was all about. The White Stripes this summer was amazing when the audience stayed on its feet the entire show, cheering the band on. The Elevation Phoenix, SLC, and Vertigo Phoenix shows where the band was able to feed off the energy coming from the audience were all wonderful shows. When I saw Radiohead for the first time a few years ago, the audience stayed on its feet. So did I, even though I wasn't very familiar with the band's music. Same for Kanye West and Beck this year; the audience was moving and enjoying the show. I didn't mind. A few years ago, when I went to see Tom Petty again, the people in front of me up in the nosebleeds were diehards. They turned to apologize for standing up so much. I told them to enjoy the show! I was enjoying how much fun they were having.

Rock and roll is all about movement, participation. Claiming "maturity" as a reason for not participating, then calling those who actually understand the music "juvenile" is a cop-out. The bands themselves want their audiences to get up and enjoy the music.

And I'm short, too. If someone is standing, I stand, and I literally thank God I can still use my legs to stand, my ass to wiggle, my ears to hear, and my hands to clap. I'll be doing all this till I'm dead, not just old.

Last edited:
martha said:

A few years ago, when I went to see Tom Petty again, the people in front of me up in the nosebleeds were diehards. They turned to apologize for standing up so much. I told them to enjoy the show! I was enjoying how much fun they were having.

Rock and roll is all about movement, participation. Claiming "maturity" as a reason for not participating, then calling those who actually understand the music "juvenile" is a cop-out. The bands themselves want their audiences to get up and enjoy the music.

Martha: The folks in front of you (at the Petty show) were class acts. And I want to be crystal clear that I'm not being sarcastic here. The fact that they turned around and apologized, showed that they were aware that their standing/dancing might be blocking the view of the folks behind them. It sounds like if there was a problem, perhaps something could be worked out.

It's the "I paid my $$$, and fuck everyone else attitude", that I have a problem with.

I also mentioned my age to underline that point that I'm not new to the concert scene. There have been plenty of concerts over the years where I did not sit down during the entire show. Some of my best memories are of these shows. I never said that I don't participate in the enjoyment of any given show. I don't believe I ever posted that I want everyone to just sit there comatose. Of course thats their right if that's what they want to do. It doesn't sound like the concerts I like attending. But to each their own.

MS Giggles: Still waiting to hear what Jeffo17 show do for a
"correction" to the folks blocking his view. I believe your solution was a "jab to the ribs" to those who you felt were invading your space. As least as you interpreted it.

What should Jeff do, if he feels his space is being transgressed, ie he can't see, even if he stands on the back of his seat?

Note that Jeff never wrote that he was standing on the back of his seat. I am taking the liberty of writing that he has done every thing he can do to elevate himself and still can't see, for point of discussion.

Keep Rocking,

Hobie

Lawn seats at the Tweeder Center kick ass! People laying down on blankets, people sitting in lawn chairs, sitting in dirt, dancing, standing/walking around drinking, standing against the rail...it's such a diverse situation it doesn't really matter how you watch the show. I LOOOOVE lawn seats. If you ever get the opportunity, go for it! My buddies and I walked onto the lawn for the Coldplay concert, it was still pretty packed, but most people were doing what I listed above...so we just walked right up to the front railing and leaned on it for the entire show. The most relaxing, comfortable concert experience I've ever had.

OceanGirl said:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what the "etiquette" it is when it comes to reserved seating and dancing???

I have been to a few concerts (none were U2) where I have got reserved seating because I am so short and like to be able to SEE! I have found that barely anyone around me gets up and dances! I really want to get up and dance, but feel like I am going to get yelled at by everyone behind me! Although, I have to admit that sometimes I have no choice - I HAVE to get up and dance for some songs!

So, what do you do? What is the "right" thing to do? Should people be able to stand up and dance when they have reserved seating? Or do you think if you have reserved seating you should respect everyone behind you and stay seated for the whole show???

You do exactly what you want to do. Too bad if others don't want to get up. hey shouldn't be there then if they just want to sit there with their arms folded. PLus when you get up the person behind you gets up and it causes a chain reaction assuming the people behind you want to see. I say stand up and dance!!!!! And if it annoyes people than too bad.

Re: Re: Reserved seating "etiquette"

Hallucination said:

You do exactly what you want to do. Too bad if others don't want to get up. hey shouldn't be there then if they just want to sit there with their arms folded. PLus when you get up the person behind you gets up and it causes a chain reaction assuming the people behind you want to see. I say stand up and dance!!!!! And if it annoyes people than too bad.

Some people get it, others need to take their head out of the feed bag once in a while. Hallucination...get real.

Hobie

Re: Re: Re: Reserved seating "etiquette"

NHHobie said:

Some people get it, others need to take their head out of the feed bag once in a while. Hallucination...get real.

Hobie

Are you saying I need to get real and pull my head outta the feed bag? If so does that mean you're suggesting that because someone behind me doesn't want to stand up to enjoy the show that I should suffer and just sit there just to appease them. I don't think so. I payed my $185.00 to see the show I'll dance in my seat. I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks. Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you happy and not worry about what makes others happy.

Back
Top Bottom