REM to support U2 ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ark

The Fly
Unlikely I would have thought, but Michael Stipe says

"I don't really have it mapped out beyond the end of the tour, I don't really have plans," he said. "I'm going to stay in Europe for a spell and probably jump on the U2 tour and the Patti Smith tours, just to allow my adrenalin to creep down rather than crash from our tour. And just spend time with friends and family.”

http://nme.com/news/112410.htm

Their tour doesnt finish until 10th July, though, and a lot of the dates after that already have 2 supports!

Oh well - still no clue as to June 19th support at Twickenham!
ark

REM playing Dublin on the 19th June.

I think he means he is going to the gigs, not playing at them!!

michael is good friends with the band. while i would LOVE for them to do the 3rd leg together, i'm pretty sure that he's just hitting a few shows.

I just hope they don't announce this soon.
It will become that much harder to find good priced tickets to the third leg shows.

I guess you're just not an REM fan...not that I am either, but I certainly would not complain if they were opening one of the shows I'm attending. I saw them about 16 years ago, and they put on a good high energy show. They would certainly warm the crowd up much more than KOL ever did.

SoCalMusicLover said:
I guess you're just not an REM fan...not that I am either, but I certainly would not complain if they were opening one of the shows I'm attending. I saw them about 16 years ago, and they put on a good high energy show. They would certainly warm the crowd up much more than KOL ever did.

Can't anyone do a better job of warming up the crowd than KOL? :laugh:

I see your point. And alot of other people would love to see REM too.

I think it's fair to say he meant "going to" the shows, NOT playing at them! REM are far too big to be supporting anyone now, including U2! I sure wouldn't want to see Peter Buck :drool: reduced to that!

u2 could do an extra UK show at the milton keynes bowl with REM in support, and they could get the faith brothers and spear of destiny on the bill, and maybe call the show "the longest day"

Harry Vest said:
"reduced to that"...whatever!!!
It would be a great double bill - period!!!
No room for arguments.
End.

It would be great no doubt but not in U2's Modus Operandi based on previous tours. Highly unlikely IMHO. Look at the financial picture and adding the cost of REM to the tour doesn't add any $$ value. It would dilute U2's earnings because the tour is mostly sold out anyways. REM ain't playing for free.

Last edited:
I think it's more likely that Michael and maybe the other REM members are going to go to a few U2 gigs. I don't think they are going to be the opening act. But who knows, maybe Michael will join U2 on stage for a number.

trainspotter said:
u2 could do an extra UK show at the milton keynes bowl with REM in support, and they could get the faith brothers and spear of destiny on the bill, and maybe call the show "the longest day"

And it would be even better if they could get Billy Bragg, and exhume the Ramones so they could play too!

And make it rain the whole day long!!!!!

:wink:

i would love it if REM really was going to tag along with U2 for a few shows, but i don't see it happening.... too bad, as i saw REM this past fall and they put on one helluva show. not as much 'production' as U2, but an amazing experience. :drool:

REM are to big as a suppport act for anyone. Also there would be some people want to got o U2's gig's just to hear REM then which would mean that some people in the audience couldn't care less about u2

Miricale_Drug said:
REM are to big as a suppport act for anyone. Also there would be some people want to got o U2's gig's just to hear REM then which would mean that some people in the audience couldn't care less about u2

REM "WERE" too big at one time to support U2. Not the case now. They play small venues now and could easily fall into a support slot to a MAJOR act. At least in N. America.

That being said, there is no way this is happening. Not sure how people got out of that statement that they were going to be support for U2. Why Interference ran an article pretty much indicating the same is beyond me. Stipe basically is indicating he will probebly travel with the U2 tour for awhile to come down off the high of touring. How would playing more shows help him come down? It wouldnt, they are friends with U2 and obviously enjoy them live and plan to spend some time seeing them. Thats all that says.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Not sure how people got out of that statement that they were going to be support for U2. Why Interference ran an article pretty much indicating the same is beyond me.

Thank you.

By the logic some people are using, Stipe was also saying REM would be opening for Patti Smith and while they may not be as popular as they once were in the US market (and while Patti Smith is as great as she is), they don't get that small of a draw to their shows.

Blue Room said:

REM "WERE" too big at one time to support U2. Not the case now. They play small venues now and could easily fall into a support slot to a MAJOR act. At least in N. America.

That being said, there is no way this is happening. Not sure how people got out of that statement that they were going to be support for U2. Why Interference ran an article pretty much indicating the same is beyond me. Stipe basically is indicating he will probebly travel with the U2 tour for awhile to come down off the high of touring. How would playing more shows help him come down? It wouldnt, they are friends with U2 and obviously enjoy them live and plan to spend some time seeing them. Thats all that says.

The same could be said for Springsteen, but that would never happen. REM, out of respect, would never be asked to be a support act.

u2wedge said:

The same could be said for Springsteen, but that would never happen. REM, out of respect, would never be asked to be a support act.

I dont understand your response about Bruce. Are you saying Bruce could be support???? NO WAY! Bruce is playing theaters ONLY because it is just him and its acoustic and he WANTS to play small venues. Bruce's last tour with the E Street Band in 2003 he played Stadiums in the U.S. and in Europe. He is NO support act, period.

Blue Room said:

Wrong! R.E.M. are just as great legends as U2 are, and no, they would not, under any circumstances, be a warm-up act for anyone - not even U2. Clearly, what Stipe meant, was that he is going to hang out with the band and follow them around Europe taking some pictures etc.

U2Man said:

Wrong! R.E.M. are just as great legends as U2 are, and no, they would not, under any circumstances, be a warm-up act for anyone - not even U2. Clearly, what Stipe meant, was that he is going to hang out with the band and follow them around Europe taking some pictures etc.

i completely agree. REM is, in my opinion, on par with U2. I've seen their past 4 tours and they show no signs of slowing down... also, they are still playing all of the major venues; most of them are the same ones that U2 is playing at this tour.

:yawn: R.E.M where an exellent band but i find all there songs are starting to sound the same so no i would'nt want R.E.M to support U2 much better a newer band like the killers.

I was having fun fantasies about REM playing with U2 from that article, but of course REM wouldn't *open* on tour for U2. Kinda funny as in ridiculous imho to consider them anyone's 'warm-up' band, even U2's! I was just having fun imagining them performing together is all, since I like REM so much. Imagining a 'doublebill' as it were, which is different from vertigo tour.
Seems to me inteference was just picking up on an annoyingly misleadingly pitched article totally misrepresenting what Stipe said...of course, 'jumping on' to 'come down' doesn't mean having new gig responsibilities, even if we thought it was remotely in the realm of possibility that REM would play on those tours...
all just silliness, but hey some 'journalist' put it out there for public consumption.
cheers...

U2Man said:

:lol: All I know is I saw them in 2003 playing to a half full amphitheater. About 7000 people there in a place that holds 18000. Their popularity is NOT there in the U.S. like it was. They can only play arenas in a few large markets here (IE "A" show at Madison Square Garden in NY). They were playing even smaller venues here on this last tour and it wasnt because thats what they wanted to do. Its what the market was for them here.

I think you guys are saying I think REM stinks now or something. Not the case, I still like them and think they are a great band. I'm just saying their popularity in N. America is not there like it once was. Like I said, their market currently could EASILY play into a support spot but it would have to be a MAJOR act. Its not going to happen, but their market would fit it.

SoCalMusicLover said:

You would rather have Kings Of Leon?

yes... is REM better than Kings of Leon? Obviously... but frankly the more I think about it I kinda like the idea of giving a young, up and comming band a chance, as opposed to throwing a band who's already established on the bill like the Stones always do.

REM's had their chance... give the opening spot to someone who could actually use the exposure... it's how it was when U2 were a young band, it should be how it is now.

U2Man said:

Agree with everything here except the legend bit.

(Being a legend means there is a doubt that you ever existed!!)

Back
Top Bottom